PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting empty emails from...?

Lil Lara
31st Jul 2002, 17:54
I keep on getting really weird emails.. and the subjects are always.."Any association with Lara Croft Online"... I then click on the email to see what it says, and its empty! Is this happening to anyone else? Does anyone know perhaps what is going on? :confused: :( :confused:

CyCro
31st Jul 2002, 17:58
What is the sender's address?

Lil Lara
31st Jul 2002, 18:03
Hold on a sec.. let me check, I might have deleted some of them already...

Lil Lara
31st Jul 2002, 18:09
One of them is from...ckembuan@yahoo.com

In that one... it just says that same thing as the subject, "any association with Lara Croft Online." and that's all.

Another one I just got from thanhkim@accsoft.com.au.. which isn't that thanhkim from the boards??

That email from thanhkim didn't have anything inside of it.

CyCro
31st Jul 2002, 18:17
I think you should contact thanhkim...I have no idea about the first address though.

cowboy from hell
31st Jul 2002, 20:15
I know where your empty e-mails are coming from. I am a member of Lara Croft Online (LCO) and we have been having the same problem. There was a serious case of spamming going on and the person has been banned from the site. The other thing that has been a problem is the Klez virus. It has been showing up in many peoples e-mails looking strangely the same. I am not making any assumptions but please scan your PC and please read up on the virus at http://www.gamefaqs.com/
There is info. plus many links to info. on the Klez provided. There are also links to free online virus scans by trusted companies.
Please don't be mad at the Amin. or Mods. at LCO. They took care of the problem as swiftly and as harsh as possible. Please read and be aware of the Klez virus, it will save you time, trouble, and money in the future (not to mention a headache).
I am not trying to cause a panic I am just trying to heighten your awarness on the Klez. It is causing problems worldwide because of it's ability to disable your anti-virus programs and it's ability to regenerate do to it's own e-mail engine.
Later!

nelly'sgirl
31st Jul 2002, 22:44
I got 2 of those but Deleted the sender's address.??????:confused:

Dad
1st Aug 2002, 00:08
yeah update all virus stuff cause that klez is a nasty lil bugger.

cowboy from hell
1st Aug 2002, 01:29
The worst part about the Klez virus is the fact that the sender's address if forged so the person doesn't have anything to do with the virus being sent. Read the links I provided for a couple of horror stories about how this virus and wrongful blaime have destroyed peoples jobs. It is sad.

Lil Lara
1st Aug 2002, 01:38
Hmm.. interesting. That's really screwed up, but thanks for all the info! I'll be sure to scan my computer tonight!:D

CyCro
1st Aug 2002, 08:58
I had received three emails with the Klez virus from different senders not related to LCO or Eidos. It comes in the form of an .bat or .pif or .exe file, attached to the email and the subject was "A cool new site, I think you gonna like it" or something of the sort. And there was another .txt file attached which was taken from the Norton Antivirus Update FAQ and technical info. I have the latest version of NAV 2002 and the latest updeates, so I started the attachment or tried to save it on the HDD on purpose but NAV blocked it and deleted it. Actually the warning window told me it was Klez. The file itself doesn't have this name on (of course!). So if you receive a blank e-mail without any attachments, this is not an infected e-mail. But it's safer to have an up-to-date scanner and to have it working in real time because you might get your files or info deleted by the time you do a manual scanning. And if the virus is a trojan, you'll never experience any problems but you may have your PC hacked and your passwords stollen and your keyboard typing logged.

thanhkim
1st Aug 2002, 10:51
Hello I'm Thanhkim one I didn't send anything to you and I have been getting the same thing weird I just get rid of it, maybe it uses names from your address book cause one was sent from my brother's address in spain. So I don't know!

rimfire
2nd Aug 2002, 06:42
I had received three emails with the Klez virus from different senders not related to LCO or Eidos. It comes in the form of an .bat or .pif or .exe file
I've gotten quite a few of these, too. Fortunately, my mail reader not only doesn't run these, it goes out if its way telling you it's not a good idea to run them yourself, either.

Most of this stuff I've seen has faked headers (the "from" address, for instance) and comes through either yahoo or msn. If you know how, you can put anything you want in the headers and reflect if off an insecure mail server so it looks like it originated there.

Reflecting from a valid mail server defeats the practice many ISP's use of verifying that the mail server in the "from" field actually exists before accepting mail from it. It does not check the person it apparently came from for a valid account, and it probably wouldn't help much if they did.

If you get a real "from" address, you can be sure the person it's "from" is a victim, too, and has had his mail program and address book hijacked by the virus. It's a good idea to let them know so they can (hopefully) fix the problem.

Don't put much stock in the subject line. Klez arrives with a wide variety of subject fields. From what I've seen, I'm guessing that when it infects a new machine it borrows a subject from a saved message it finds there and keeps using it as long as it's on that machine. If it manages to infect another machine, it will pick a new subject there.

cowboy from hell
2nd Aug 2002, 20:22
Yes Rimfire, you are absoulutely correct! The Klez will borrow a file(could be a document or even pictures) from the infected computer and use it. If I could find the person or persons that started this virus I would like to.............never mind, that would be a threat.

JunoJIm
4th Aug 2002, 02:59
I got some of the same stuff - a couple messed up, and left their IP address - sent it on to abuse@MSN.com...

Hate those idiots that do that kind of stuff !!!