PDA

View Full Version : Can Garrett be Robin Hood? What do you think?

Keeper Collins
30th Jul 2002, 16:31
I have been seeing some simalatrties between Garrett and Robin Hood. Enough to think that they are both the same charcter. Now we all know Robin Hood robs from the rich and gives to the poor. Well, Garrett does certianly rod from the rich! He robs them blind and even kills them! But he does'nt nessacerily give to the poor.
Robin Hood is also famous for his skills and talents with the bow and arrows. Who else is skilled with bow and arrows? Why Garrett of coruse! The roumors about Robin Hood did'nt say he had fire,water,gas,and moss arrows but you get the genral idiea.
Another thing is our good "friend" Sherif Gorman Truart! Not only did Garrett take on the evil Sherif but Robin Hood took on an evil Sherif to! And the Sherif of Nottingham in Robin Hood was mean,nasty,greedy,and curropt. Well,so is Sherif Truart. Three
more things about Garrett and Robin Hood. One,does'nt Cutty look a bit like Fryer Tuck from Robin Hood? Both Robinhood and Garrett were tights and third they both lived in midevil times. So,do you think Garrett is Robin Hood or not?

Whatz His Name
30th Jul 2002, 16:45
Keeper... I respectfully disagree. I do see similiar characteristics of the two, but I don't think they are the same. You asked the question of who else was good with a bow. What about William Tell who shot the apple off his son's head. Just because two people have very similiar characteristics don't make them the same. Thats like saying Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are the same person. They were/are the President of the United States, but they are not the same person.

I'm not flaming... just commenting.

Speedy[143]
30th Jul 2002, 18:01
I think your Garrett can be as Robin Hoodish as you'd like.. my Garretts persona changes with each mission and for some insight on how others preceive him here's a thread you may have missed and will enjoy reading.....

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?threadid=2651

XXXOOO
Speedy

RiCh
30th Jul 2002, 18:15
Robin Hood ‘The Prince of Thieves’ now where have I heard that before? I can see the obvious similarities between the two characters. But I can’t see them being the same character for obvious reasons. Robin Hood stole, and then gave to the poor not himself! He worked for the people, and as such his actions created panic and mayhem amongst the rich. In turn his deeds gained him public support in his own fight against the Sheriff of Nottingham. Where as everyone knew Robin Hood the outlaw, No one knows Garrett the Thief. He may have saved the world twice, but who outside the Keepers knows that? Robin Hood was born of noble blood; Garrett was a poor orphan begging in the streets.

And of course Garrett’s American and Robin Hood’s English, or suppose to be :D Anyway, all I want to know is how did Kevin Costner’s horse get from the white cliffs of Dover to Nottingham ‘by nightfall’! I know England’s small but it isn’t that small :D

RichAsWell
2nd Aug 2002, 06:13
The first evidence of Robin Hood existed in a poem called "Vision of Piers Plowman" (1378) and the man described there certainly wasn't no merry man giving to the poor. He killed mericlessly, slaying Guy of Gisborne and stuck his head on the end of his bow. He could care less about stealing and giving to the poor. He instead fought the Sheriff's men and poaching the King's deer. He would also have worn woolen breeches and a rough tunic - not thin green tights.
But as time went on Robin became romanticized by such writers as Sir Walter Scott (Ivanhoe).
So the original Robin Hood actually could be seen as more vicious than Garrett.
But that's up to you to decide...

THEthief
2nd Aug 2002, 15:28
Originally posted by Whatz His Name
What about William Tell who shot the apple off his son's head.

Ahhh, but that was with a crossbow. ;)

...He killed mericlessly...

So the original Robin Hood actually could be seen as more vicious than Garrett.

RichAsWell, I must politely disagree with that. I haven't studied the subject recently, but I have in the past, and, whether Robin Hood existed or not (as that is debatable), he was a good guy. :) And Garrett isn't vicious - he's a sweet guy, who has a problem recognizing just how sweet he is. :D
Also, I believe Keeper Collins is talking about the Robin Hood we all know - you know the hero of legend (I say legend because the 'events' of Robin Hood's life are so different in the legend we know from the movies than what they actually were in books...)

Robin Hood was born of noble blood; Garrett was a poor orphan begging in the streets.
Hah! How do you know Garrett's parents weren't noble people, who were slain in the middle of some horrific fight, or something equally as impossible and unbelievable? There you have it - you don't!! ;):p

But he does'nt nessacerily give to the poor.
Of course he does - he gives them to his POOR self. :D ;)

*AHEM* Ahhh yes - as to your original question, Keeper Collins, it is indeed a plausible theory that the makers of Thief did, in fact, at least in some ways, model the hero (read that, RichAsWell - the HERO;)) Garrett after the hero Robin Hood; however, I don't think they are one and the same - only similar.

RichAsWell
2nd Aug 2002, 17:03
THEthief
I think you misread what I wrote.
I was merely stating history of the Robin Hood character. Like I said it's up to everyone to decide. Quite frankly the Robin Hood character has changed so much throughout time it's hard to say who he really was, if in fact he did exist. He was based off an actual criminal, some believe, Robert Knight. I don't think Garrett is vicious or unherolike. I like Garrett's character very much.
Cheers

RiCh
2nd Aug 2002, 17:18
Originally posted by THEthief

Hah! How do you know Garrett's parents weren't noble people, who were slain in the middle of some horrific fight, or something equally as impossible and unbelievable? There you have it - you don't!! ;):p

HAHA!! True true! You could see T3 turning into a ‘StarWars’ kind of thing!
Garrett corners Bafford down a dark alley one night, but instead of begging for his life he calmly says “My dear Garrett, you can’t kill me.......I’m your father!!!” Garrett curls up into a ball and screams “NNNNNOOOOOOOOOO say it isn’t true!” :D

THEthief
2nd Aug 2002, 19:58
Originally posted by RichAsWell
THEthief
I think you misread what I wrote.
I was merely stating history of the Robin Hood character. Like I said it's up to everyone to decide. Quite frankly the Robin Hood character has changed so much throughout time it's hard to say who he really was, if in fact he did exist. He was based off an actual criminal, some believe, Robert Knight. I don't think Garrett is vicious or unherolike. I like Garrett's character very much.
Cheers

Nah, I was only kidding about the Garrett thing - remember the discussion about 'how do you see your Garrett'? I was kinda reffering to that, with this quote:
(read that, RichAsWell - the HERO;))

I agree - there are so many varying accounts of Robin Hood, it's amazing (where's Catman, with his mind-boggled bunny...?:p). :)

LOL, Rich. That would be amusing. :o :D

RichAsWell
3rd Aug 2002, 05:27
Giddy-up
That's a relief
But what's up with that Catman thing....that's hilarious though.
I was like "what the?" and then laughed for 4 minutes out of confusion.
Or was that directed to Rich Culn?
I'm so confuzilled.

THEthief
3rd Aug 2002, 17:03
LOL, Catman makes really funny animated bunny and cat smileys. The one I'm referring to is a bunny who's kind of lost his mind, because he's so confused. :D