PDA

View Full Version : A scary Thought about Thief 3

Keeper Collins
30th Jul 2002, 16:05
Now,as we all know our hero Garrett is curently the only one who can swim,jump,climb,duck,and crawl. I don't mind new AI's but what these new AI's are more advanced then we think? What if these AI's can do everything Garrett can do?! They would be able to go everywere and do every thing that only we Master thives could do before! We would'nt be able to trap them becuse they might get away and there would be no safe place becuse the would be able to get ever were we can go! Servants being able to get away from us and guards cilmbing and crawling! Were we taffers go? What will we do? Oh no! What if these new AI's actully START THINKING?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew! Sorry about that.I just got scared. But hopefully that will never ever happen.

Peter_Smith
31st Jul 2002, 02:27
:D

Munin the Raven
31st Jul 2002, 02:39
It is a scary thought, isn't it? Fortunately, expereinced game designers always give the player an advantage over the AI.

Garrett will always have an appreciable stealth ability over his enemies, giving him the ability to observe them before acting or avoid them entirely. He'll always have some sort of mobility advantage, too. If guards in Thief III can crouch and crawl on their hands and knees, you can be sure Garrett will be able to go prone and belly-crawl to get into even tighter places. If enemies are fast, you can be sure Garrett will have some means of outrunning or evading them. And, when all else fails he's got that arsenal of nifty tools at his disposal.

ChangelingJane
31st Jul 2002, 02:58
Garrett will always be able to outrun guards, for one simple reason: they have armor, and he doesn't! ^_^

RiCh
31st Jul 2002, 12:43
I for one want realistic AI, more realistic the better IMO! It’ll keep all us wannabe Thieves on our toes having ultra smart AI chasing us. It’ll turn you into a better thief, so you won’t make so many mistakes! And hopefully you won’t be able to cheat your way past them like you can in the other 2 games.

Originally posted by ChangelingJane
Garrett will always be able to outrun guards, for one simple reason: they have armor, and he doesn't! ^_^

I dunno ChangelingJane, I think Garrett will be pretty heavy and bogged down when he’s carrying all that loot!! He probably
won’t be able to walk let alone run:D

Zaccheus
31st Jul 2002, 15:41
Hmm - I wonder if there will be a weight carry limit.

Beagle Boy
24th Aug 2002, 03:24
I hope the AI does not hide in dark corners and blackjack us when we are not looking.

:)

Bat-mite
27th Aug 2002, 16:17
Originally posted by Zaccheus
Hmm - I wonder if there will be a weight carry limit.

Hmm. SOunds like it could be the first major bug. The weight carry limit prevents the loot objective from ever being met. :)

Lady in Black
13th Oct 2002, 15:22
Originally posted by Keeper Collins
Now,as we all know our hero Garrett is curently the only one who can swim,jump,climb,duck,and crawl. I don't mind new AI's but what these new AI's are more advanced then we think? What if these AI's can do everything Garrett can do?! They would be able to go everywere and do every thing that only we Master thives could do before! We would'nt be able to trap them becuse they might get away and there would be no safe place becuse the would be able to get ever were we can go! Servants being able to get away from us and guards cilmbing and crawling! Were we taffers go? What will we do? Oh no! What if these new AI's actully START THINKING?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew! Sorry about that.I just got scared. But hopefully that will never ever happen.
Funny I had a dream about that once. :D
Hi! This is Lady in Black, don't mind if I hang out with all you Thief fans for awhile? :D

RicknMel
13th Oct 2002, 15:36
Originally posted by Bat-mite

Hmm. SOunds like it could be the first major bug. The weight carry limit prevents the loot objective from ever being met. :)

That could add a new twist to the game...
...Several trips into a mansion...
...or make sure you only taff light stuff....
...or find a wheelbarrow! :eek:

I think it would be much more realistic that way.

btw..welcome to the forum Lady in Black:)

Lady in Black
13th Oct 2002, 18:49
Originally posted by RicknMel
Thanks! :) Lately I've been into the Tomb Raider forums. I need to get into something fresh...lol

Apache
22nd Oct 2002, 00:30
Play Thievery UT if you want the experience of AIs chasing you everywhere. Scared the ***** out of me the first time I played online. I alerted a guard (real person playinf him) and as I ran I jumped into the water .."Ah he won't get me." Boy was I shocked to turn around and see a mace come crashing on my widdle head..I just about fell off my chair. I for one hope the AI can go more places in T3.

Lady in Black
22nd Oct 2002, 01:49
Originally posted by Apache
turn around and see a mace come crashing on my widdle head..I just about fell off my chair.
I had something similar like that happened to me once when I played Thief.
:eek:

Mr. Perfect
22nd Oct 2002, 20:01

That might be a little TOO realistic, atleast for my tastes. :)

newk007
24th Oct 2002, 11:32
I had something similar like that happened to me once when I played Thief.

I probably wouldn't have believed you normally, but one of my friends told me the other day that he had a similar experience also.

You know the water area at the other end of Cragscleft Prison? My friend jumped in the water, and got out around the corner, just as the guard was passing. So, he jumped back into the water, and when he turned around he could see the guard "swimming" toward him. (I put swimming in inverted commas because he appeared to be running in the water). Now wouldn't that be worrying? I'm glad I blackjacked him when I did!

Lady in Black
24th Oct 2002, 15:26
EEEEK! That would be freaky!:eek:

littlek
31st Oct 2002, 02:09
Originally posted by newk007
.......he could see the guard "swimming" toward him. (

I would lure the guards in the water and let them chase me through the tunnel until they drowned. I figured this out by accident when I too, leaped intot he water to get away from a guard and swam with all my might. When I finally turned around, no guard was there. So I went back and found him, dead. Picked his pockets and looked for some more to skinny dip with me.

Lady in Black
31st Oct 2002, 15:52
That's funny. I did something similar like that. Each time I made a guard unconscious I figured out it wasn't enough for me. So I picked each one up and let them take a swim in a fountain. They all died that way.:D
I'm mean:D :p

Squid
4th Nov 2002, 06:00
Realize that you can do this to zombies as well. Who ever guessed that the undead had to breathe? :D

Squid

Bat-mite
4th Nov 2002, 18:38

Yeah! They could make it so realistic that every player would either die or get thrown in jail on the first mission, or end up broke and starve to death! After all, in the real world, one can hardly posses Garrett-like sneakiness carrying a sword, a bow, and a quiver of arrows!
;)

Secrets Of Nosgoth
22nd Feb 2003, 21:38
One of the best things for me about thief is being chased by gaurds. Just when I think I lost them I turn around and they are running right towards me. I always found water or going down or up and ladder would be enough to get away. But I think it would add so much if they could just jump down and swim after you or climb a ladder to get to you. They can't just give up so easily. You should be forced to use your flash grenades and other gizmos you bought before the mission started. Not rely on an AI hinderance.

Or better yet, when you climb your rope arrow up to a higher place, you can yank the rope out of the wall and they plumet to their death. Now that'd be cool.

Pipa2
24th Feb 2003, 22:05
In Lord Bafford Manor the guards in the room where the sceptre is can climb ropes. I think it was in expert mode. Try it. Throw a rope arrow to one of the wood tables above and then climb it. Then make yourself visible from the above. It is funny though. :D

Munin the Raven
24th Feb 2003, 22:30
There aren't any rope arrows available in that mission unless you're playing the TDP demo.

Pipa2
25th Feb 2003, 17:28
Then it must have been in the demo. I don't remember. The thing is that I remember seeing those guards climbing the wood.