PDA

View Full Version : going against the grain with cult of the resurrection.

amievil?
30th Jul 2002, 01:55
ok. so i felt the itch to download and play an fm, a thing of which i havent done in about a month and a half. i had already decided to play cult... next, it looked cool, its by sledge, who is on the t3 team. sounded creepy. so i downloaded it.

ok normally i dont complain but.........

first off, i kept getting stuck in simple places; around corners, between objects, etc. no big deal becuase its happened before, i said to myself. next, i got kicked to windows 6 times in a row when i reached various points in the level.

twice i got stuck in the floor, dunno what happened there just walking along.

lot of the time i was totally blind, no big deal.

the thing that pushed me to write this though was the fact that i used the elevator and its one way(or so it says) i didnt know this, happened to jump down to where the three zombies are, and saved. game over unless there is a hidden switch or button which fear is not, since i searched the entire room for two hours while avoiding swings at my head. un-nerved, i bring this to the forum.....

so my question is has anyone else had these problems with this level or did i get a bad download? the buggy parts i can deal with but what got me was no warning that that elevator was one way, hence i have to reload the level from scratch.

--------------------------------

the plus side- nice architecture, fun atmosphere, great sneaking areas, great ai and patrol routes. i only just got started into the fortress so i cant comment on the rest of the level. im giving it another chance becuase of the overall fun factor. im in no way complaining about it, just simply want to know if anyone who has played it has had this much probs with it, or is it just me? i just figured with an 8.5 rating to it, it shouldnt be THIS buggy :(

Nightwalker
30th Jul 2002, 03:04
I've never heard complaints that this mission is buggy. I've played it several times myself and never run into any of those problems. There should be a button to open the gate in the zombie room, though I don't recall exactly where. It's an excellent mission. Maybe you should try downloading a new copy to see if it works properly.

Higgins
30th Jul 2002, 16:48
My problem was simply an inability to get through the opening scenario and 'into' the game play proper - never did find the entrance - any clues may motivate me to give another go, if it is as good as some say it is [though I don't like undead, but who does?]

Nightwalker
30th Jul 2002, 16:58
I'd be glad to help you get going, Higgins. When you say you didn't find the entrance, do you mean you didn't get anywhere at all at the start, or did you get into the first big building and get stuck there? Let me know and I should be able to help. :)

Sharga
31st Jul 2002, 06:47
As a matter of fact I just finished this one today!

The only bugs I remember was getting stuck between a bungh of doors, especially around the kitchen area. But I was always able to duck and crawl out. I also experienced a SHAS twice but both were on sharp rocky edges.

If you look there are two buttons right in front of the big metal gate in the zombie room. If you cannot reach these buttons then you are out of luck and have fallen into a trap. I actually had the opposite problem. I entered through the gate and for the longest time I couldn't figure out how to get up to the ledge I saw in the dark stone room, only later did I remember that I had not yet tried the elevator. I think this room is actually a place where they toss people who are misbehaving (spelling?).

Higgins- be not afraid of undead for there are only three of them that I know about in this mission and they are all in the same room and can be avoided completely.

If you are talking about the entrance to the hammer church then look for some stairs on the right side of the building that go down to a door you can lockpick and look for a hole in the cieling to rope arrow up to.
If you are talking about the entrance to the hideout then simply take the long stone spiral starcase on the left side of the old hammer church.

good luck!

Higgins
31st Jul 2002, 12:29
Thanks Sharga - I think that is what I was missing; I am currently still trying to get through Art of Thievery [which is slow going with the frame rates and load times on my PC] but I will give it a go.

amievil?
1st Aug 2002, 00:45
well, restarted the mission again. didnt get kicked to windows this time, got a shas once. no more stuck in floors and doors that was a relief.

i somehow managed to cuase a big fight between the "experiments" and the guards. the guard in the garden? kept busting me(i never reload until im dead, regardless of how many times i get busted) but he got in the fight. i managed to complete all the objectives except getting enough loot and killing rathis or whatever his name was. never found the guy....in fact never found the caves the map mentions unless they are the ones by the elevator. managed to see how blind i was with the buttons for the gate, so thats a plus that you have a way out. i guess i was too distracted by the experiments clawing about my eyes...

i consider this mission a sucess becuase of my own playing style. i play realistically. i came to get the stone, which i did. i disposed of the tricker and katrina. that left rathis, who i never saw. i sent the guards into confusion by starting a fight. i consider it accomplished. alot of people will say hey you didnt kill rathis so you didnt beat the level! according to my realistic/iron man style of play these days, i did beat that level. becuase i play like im there, and if in real life id gotten that stone and did all that other stuff, screw rathis im out of here i would say :D

i was a badly bruised thief after this one. two thumbs up for fun factor(i can forgive the bugginess :) )

Higgins
1st Aug 2002, 17:34
I'm no inside the secret hideout of the cult but am finding it slow going [reload-wise] due to the superhuman hearing of some of the guards and their sword-fighting skills and resistance to arrows ... but it is well designed and atmospheric,so hats off again to the FM author [and no sign of the undead as yet, but I have the feeling they are just around the corner...] Oh. I am playing on Assassin - no blackjack for some reason so I am being forced to slay all before me, which is not for the purist but quite cathartic after sneaking through so many tiled floors in Chrisine's FMs. :) I think the idea of three different 'styles' rather than difficulty levels adds much replayability and interest - this is something the Inverted Manse takes to another level I understand. In the 'expert' level it says you must kill the leader but make it look like an accident - haven't got that far yet but am intrigued as to how this can be done [in a inter-AI melee?] so may have to go up a level to find out.

Nightwalker
1st Aug 2002, 18:00
It's worth replaying this on the Expert difficulty. It's an excellent mission. I never play it on the setting where you have to kill everyone. That's not my style, but the other two I've played several times each. :)

Speedy[143]
1st Aug 2002, 18:32
Funny thing I too just started this mission last night for the first time and unfortunetly I didn't crash to windows a half dozen times... I just crashed all together:( Tenacity being my middle name I just rebooted and tried tried again heh I even found a plack on the backside of a tipped castle wall that asked me how I got back there and I was bad girl and... well needless to say I had to reload:P

Yes it's very dark in the beginning but you can get into the building you spawn next to and turn on some lights.. I too got caught at the bottom of the elevator before I found out it was a one way ticket and danced with the dead to get out again...

I'd heard a lot about this mission over the past 6 months and was excitied to try it out.... I have to keep telling myself it was made over two years ago so it's not exactly what I'm use to playing but a classic for all the old skoolers and worth the time.... This mission is going to go down as one of the most reloads I've ever had to date and that includes all of T2, TG and over 150 FMs I'm finding I have to play a little differently than I'm use to and that's A-OK with me... variety IS the spice of life;)

I'm beginning to get a feel of the layout and have to agree that some of those guards are way better at sword play than I and others take way too many arrows before dying... I'm listening in on a conversation now between a guard and an archer.. one of them is a perv heheheheh I'm starting to really enjoy this FM!!!!

amievil? what's a "shas?"

XXXOOO
Speedy

Sharga
1st Aug 2002, 19:13
S.H.A.S.

Sudden Heart Attack Syndrome

When you suddenly die for no apparent reason, usually happens around complex terrain and sharp edges.

Yes, all the guards are good fighters and have a strong resistance to arrows. Plus they've got expert hearing, which makes things difficult.

Speedy[143]
1st Aug 2002, 21:50
Originally posted by Sharga
S.H.A.S.

Sudden Heart Attack Syndrome

When you suddenly die for no apparent reason, usually happens around complex terrain and sharp edges.

Ahhhh.. thanks Sharga... I've run into a few of those and almost had one of my own as a result LOL actually experienced one so far on Cult of the Resurrection:( Didn't know that's what it was called... learn something new everyday:D

XXXOOO
Speedy

amievil?
1st Aug 2002, 23:51
unless sledge comes along to correct me...

i think those guards are jacked up becuase they are all intended to be thieves just like garrett. so thier hearing and sight should be a little sharper than your average bafford sleepy head. if you notice, he jacked up their speed so they walk faster than normal, which is good becuase you dont see many slow footed thieves a la garrett.

the difficulty levels changing the style of play is what im trying to do with hells motel 2. in part 1, you are basically scouting out a way in. but notice on part 1 on normal you have to find evidence on a traitor, where as on expert you dont. i changed that because in part 2 the difficulty levels tell basically three different tales. i think sledge did an excellent job of it in cult, even though its buggy its definatly worth the time to go all the way through it.

oh and speedy, on expert killing katrina and making it look like an accident is quite simple. i think you will know if you get there...and the objective with the mummy is pretty obvious too, just pay attention to everything.

(i didnt try to lead katrina into the fight with the experiments, i wonder if the objective will tick off?) probably not...

Speedy[143]
2nd Aug 2002, 07:42
1 hr. 34 mins.... 2238/2238 loot... played on assassin (mid level) strange objective "Kill ALL cult members" with no BJ.... not an easy task.... since it took so much weaponry and there were so many of them (29) I had to get clever with my mines and fire arrows.. I found if I took some life with broadheads & fire arrows then finished them off with my sword I was able to end the mission with almost full life and two vials in reserve... I got real stingy there not knowing what to expect next heh

Strange thing happened while I was at the bottom of the well trying to exit into the sewers.. I was able to use all my weapons... I could strike the grate with my sword.... toss the mine, shoot a fire arrow etc... that really threw me 'cuz I thought that was how I was suppose to get the grate open.... until I killed myself trying to open it... reloaded and couldn't get any of my weapons to work underwater (as it should be) then I was really stumped until I checked my inventory *big grin*

I read the objectives for all three levels and was able to completed all but kill Rathis on thief while playing on assassin without the benifit of having them as objectives.. I must admit I wasn't impresed with this mission in the beginning and was especially dissapointed that it crashed so many times but I'm not a quitter so I just hung in there and kept playing... I'm very glad I did, it was well worth it!!!

Not an easy FM at all... but very enjoyable.... good job Sledge:D

XXXOOO
Speedy

Nightwalker
2nd Aug 2002, 11:56
I'm really surprised at all the crashes you two have had with the mission. I don't think it's ever crashed on me! It takes a while to get into this one, I agree, but it's good. I prefer to play it on the Expert setting, where you don't kill everyone, though. :)

Higgins
2nd Aug 2002, 18:51
Well done for finishing - I am stuck no the jumping trick over the lava and am losing faith; when it says to kill 'all cult members' does this include all guards? I am confused - it is definitely one of the more difficult FMs, as many of the T1s seem to be. But I shall overcome, with a little help from my friends.

Nightwalker
2nd Aug 2002, 19:36
Crossing the lava isn't really all that hard. You should have a good supply of rope arrows to use.

I can't help with who you have to kill, though, as I don't play that difficulty setting. I'm sure one of the others will be able to help you with that, though. :)

Speedy[143]
2nd Aug 2002, 20:38
Don't lose faith trying to jump the lava and getting to the sword sweetie.... you'll need at the very least 3 rope arrows... you can either jump from rope to rope after placing one in each beam or mantel to the top of each beam and crouch then jump to the next rope... don't retreive any ropes on your way over to the sword and do a quick-save after each jump.... once you have the sword start back the same way but this time take the arrow you just used with you (you'll have to be standing on top of the beam to do this) I tried laying down some moss for that last jump to the ledge from the top of the beam to cushion my fall after retreiving the final arrow but lost to much life so I decided to leave a rope arrow behind in exchange for NOT losing life.. I figured if I really needed that rope arrow I knew where it was:D Just shimmy down the rope at both ends then jump to the ledge.

Getting the sword is not an objective on assassin but I was hoping it would be a bit more powerful than the one I had already... if you want to know if it's worth the trouble just let me know.. I will tell you it does have some properties that work FOR and AGAINST you but you'll discover what they are real quickly once you start welding it;)

Regarding how many cult members you need to kill for the objective to check off... I read somewhere, I think in Katrinas diary, how many followers she had so far but I hadn't kept track of how many I'd killed so after I killed what I THOUGHT was the last living cult member I checked the objectives to see if I'd met it yet... I was wrong twice heh.... I never check my stats until I complete a mission but you can go there and see how many you've "Hacked, stabbed, gutted, butchered, and mutilated until they are dead dead dead!!!!!" Kill everyone and everything and you should be a winner:D

XXXOOO
Speedy

Higgins
3rd Aug 2002, 15:17
Thanks for the encouragement Speedy [and it's while now since I was called 'sweetie' so thanks for the endearment too].

I have been 'lurking' this forum for some time now before plunging in and as I foresaw I am little short on game skills compared with the rest of you but I remain impressed with the standard of discourse on the forum [which is often more intelligent and certainly much more civil than that which I experience on the many politics forums I also frequent] and with the endless possibilities of the FMs. Unfortunately I have to go into hospital on Monday for an operation so will be offline for a couple of weeks I guess but thanks for being so welcoming to this London thief. :D

Nightwalker
3rd Aug 2002, 15:25
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying our forum. Some very nice people are regulars here and I'm glad you're becoming one, too. Don't worry about your Thief skills. They improve rapidly with a bit of practice.

I'm also sorry to hear that you're going to need surgery. Best of luck and hurry back when you're feeling better. :)

Speedy[143]
3rd Aug 2002, 20:12
Originally posted by Higgins
Thanks for the encouragement Speedy [and it's while now since I was called 'sweetie' so thanks for the endearment too].

I have been 'lurking' this forum for some time now before plunging in and as I foresaw I am little short on game skills compared with the rest of you but I remain impressed with the standard of discourse on the forum [which is often more intelligent and certainly much more civil than that which I experience on the many politics forums I also frequent] and with the endless possibilities of the FMs. Unfortunately I have to go into hospital on Monday for an operation so will be offline for a couple of weeks I guess but thanks for being so welcoming to this London thief. :D

My pleasure Higgins.. I'm flattered to be included in your assement of having skills but if the truth be told I'm a newbie too... I found this forum just last February after finishing T2 abruptly without an ending video and came to ask "Why, why meeeeee????" heheheh then ended up staying for the same reasons you've mentioned!!! Great bunch of Taffers who love and respect eachother and we're happy that you've joined us:D

Best of luck with your surgery I will be praying for a speedy recovery so we see your sweet face back here ASAP;)

XXXOOO
Speedy