PDA

View Full Version : RicknMel will love this one



theBlackman
29th Jul 2002, 06:51
If you had bought $1000.00 worth of Nortel stock one year ago,
it would now be worth $49.00.

With Enron, you would have $16.50 of the original $1,000.00.
With Worldcom, you would have less than $5.00 left.

If you had bought $1,000.00 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not
the stock) one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the
cans for the 10 cent deposit, you would have $214.00.

Based on the above, my current investment advice is to drink
heavily and recycle.

Zaccheus
29th Jul 2002, 08:04
That's just too funny!

ChristineS
29th Jul 2002, 08:24
:D I should start drinking beer....

Gumdrop
29th Jul 2002, 12:28
$214 wouldn't cover the cost of replacing a burned out (or should that be peed out?) bladder. ;)

Zaccheus
29th Jul 2002, 12:29
One question though.

Where can you buy 2140 cans of beer for 1000 dollars?

Gumdrop
29th Jul 2002, 12:32
Originally posted by Zaccheus
Where can you buy 2140 cans of beer for 1000 dollars?

This is Budlite we're talking about...They can't give the stuff away. :D

Xcom
29th Jul 2002, 14:49
You can recycle CANS in the States? :eek:
We've been ripped off in Europe then...:mad:

RicknMel
29th Jul 2002, 15:46
LOL :D

....oops...better add some more text so my reply don't look like spam

Good one tBM :p

BrokenArts
29th Jul 2002, 16:29
Ha, that is a good one tbm. OK everyone, you heard it straight. Drink up! After all, we are in The Cripple Burrick!! :D

Xcom??
You had me wondering. What if any, do you all recycle over there?
Here in Dallas, certain pockets of the city, have curb side recycling.
Some say it isn't cost effective. But, it isn't going away anytime soon. Doubt it ever will.
We here, can recycle just about anything. We try to recycle everything we can, paper, plastic, aluminum, steel, glass, etc.
Plastic has number on the containers, 1-7, certain, places, you can bring in and drop off numbers 1-7. Not all places take the higher numbers.
I wish more places, more countries would recycle, and take care of their garbage.
Just my rambling thoughts. Sorry to get sidetracked folks. OK, lets think about recycling in Europe! How OFF Topic can you get. :D Though it did make me wonder. Never thought about it before.

Gumdrop
29th Jul 2002, 22:55
Well there is recycling facilities near where I live for bottles, paper and alluminium. But yes Britain is a little sloppy in this department. Our health service is a joke too...But that's a whole new rucksack of energy drinks. :)

theBlackman
29th Jul 2002, 23:07
Originally posted by Zaccheus
One question though.

Where can you buy 2140 cans of beer for 1000 dollars?

Budwieser 30 pack at 16.00 per pack = 1875 cans of Bud, at the California rate of return (about 12 cents a can at the recycle center) = 212.00 :D :D

RicknMel
30th Jul 2002, 01:25
What??!! 12 cents a can? :eek: That can't be right.

We get about 30-35 cents a pound here. Thats about what...a dollar for a whole bag of crushed cans? Maybe we should start a black market can recycling ring...I'll ship 'em out to ya tBM...and you send me back half the loot. :p

theBlackman
30th Jul 2002, 01:54
Originally posted by RicknMel
What??!! 12 cents a can? :eek: That can't be right.

We get about 30-35 cents a pound here. Thats about what...a dollar for a whole bag of crushed cans? Maybe we should start a black market can recycling ring...I'll ship 'em out to ya tBM...and you send me back half the loot. :p

I think ours is about 67 cents a lb.:D But then what do they know in OHIO. The mountains aren't even what we call molehills. :D

Huntress
30th Jul 2002, 02:39
At least it's more than what they've got in Texas tBm :D But then with all those Texan's drinking all that beer..they need a lot of space to recycle what's left over... wink, wink! :D or is that better known as "outhouses"? LOL

Ta and Good Hunting!

Munin the Raven
30th Jul 2002, 04:00
In CT, most soda cans and bottles have a $0.05 refund. You can bring bottles and cans to most supermarkets and put them into the shredding machines for a stack of nickels or a reciept you can exchnage for cash at the registers.

Of course, it is a <i>refund.</i> There's a $0.05 tax on every refundable can or bottle of soda (otherwise it wouldn't be refundable!:D).

I believe I've seen refunds on labels of beer bottles as high as $0.15 per bottle, but I can't be sure. Most beer bottles and cans have a $0.05 refund and can be processed the same way.

theBlackman
30th Jul 2002, 04:34
Actually we pay a 7.75% tax and a Deposit for the return fee.

The prices for Recycle refunds vary. Aluminum is the highest, even though the per can cost is the same as glass.

At crocery store recycle centers the amount paid is less than that from a state recycle depot. The state facility pays full value.

Glass is about .05 per bottle and Alum cans about .12.

They usually pay by the weight, and will deduct 10% if the cans or bottles are dirty. IE if you have some sand, leaves, or other material on them or with them.

DJC
30th Jul 2002, 05:42
Originally posted by Gumdrop
Well there is recycling facilities near where I live for bottles, paper and alluminium. But yes Britain is a little sloppy in this department.

Where I live in the UK we have had roadside recycling collection for almost 10 years. You have 2 plastic boxes (large ones), newspapers and magazines go in the blue one, and most types of plastic, glass and metal go in the red one. HUGE trucks them come round once a week and collect it all.
:)

Xcom
30th Jul 2002, 16:23
Originally posted by BrokenArts
Xcom??
You had me wondering. What if any, do you all recycle over there?
Here in Dallas, certain pockets of the city, have curb side recycling.
Some say it isn't cost effective. But, it isn't going away anytime soon. Doubt it ever will.
We here, can recycle just about anything. We try to recycle everything we can, paper, plastic, aluminum, steel, glass, etc.
Plastic has number on the containers, 1-7, certain, places, you can bring in and drop off numbers 1-7. Not all places take the higher numbers.
I wish more places, more countries would recycle, and take care of their garbage.
Just my rambling thoughts. Sorry to get sidetracked folks. OK, lets think about recycling in Europe! How OFF Topic can you get. :D Though it did make me wonder. Never thought about it before.

I have no doubt that the same is going on here. Perhaps even more intense recycling. However, we (customers) don't get refund for cans. That's what surprised me. Bottles, on the other hand, are different story. Practically all plastic bottles can be exchanged for cash in the supermarket. Also some glass bottles (usually from beer). Other bottles are thrown away in a special containers (white/brown/green glass :p ). There are also special garbage containers for paper, organic garbage (vegetable rests, etc), batteries. Futhermore, you can bring you old electrical devices to special recycling places. (Tho they don't pay you anything, at least to my knowledge). Beside that, you have special services whom you can call to collect large junk (old furniture, wood and other stuff. ) and they will come and take it away for free.

So, generally speaking, I think it's not that bad here when it comes to recycling. ;) :p