PDA

View Full Version : American McGees Alice.......

ShirleyC
27th Jul 2002, 15:39
Does anyone else think this is a strange game? The funny part is that I keep forgetting the keystrokes and start using the ones I use for Tombraiding. The other day I tried to make Alice do a backflip which is impossible for her! :D
Shirley

LarzBritsh
27th Jul 2002, 16:27
What surprises me even more is that most people are not familiar with the original story.

For this game to make sense you'll need to understand how the original story works. Otherwise, you'll laugh at the gothic Chesire cat, instead of being amazed at how American McGree has transcripted the story into his own terms.

The music is excellent in Alice, the weapons are original and familiar (if you've familiar with the story, otherwise, they'll seem strange) and the same thing is happening to Lara, what has happened to Alice in that game.

Lil Lara
27th Jul 2002, 20:39
One of my friends has "Alice" and I thought that it was a pretty cool game. The only thing I didn't like was that while you were playing, her dress was all funny colored and crap. I don't know if it was supposed to be like that or if it was just the crappy graphics. Has this happened to anyone else?

DanO-mulder
27th Jul 2002, 22:11
Alice is the most visually beautiful game ever.....bar none.

If your getting crappy graphics you need a good video card.../ better cpu...

I played on my old voodoo card and liked the game......played again on my Geforce 4 and "oh my god"....it was a whole new world......I could not believe what I had missed the first time....

Alice is well known for it great graphics....but if your card can't render them it will look like crap....and slow way down in certain outdoor parts.....

I also found a killer download of a Red dress for alice.....believe it or not it made the whole game look better......;) If you want it let me know.....i'll find it for you....there is a red one and a red and white striped one called "Queen of Tarts" :D .....they make her really stand out compared to the blue dress......

http://dpowen.homestead.com/files/Reddress.jpg

Lil Lara
27th Jul 2002, 22:27
Ooooh. nice picture. Yeah, it must have been my friends computer.. 'cause Alice's dress in the game was like a bunch of colors swirled together and crap. Very weird.

JunoJIm
28th Jul 2002, 06:40
mulder - where can I find that DL - I've been playing Alice in between trying to figure out how to install these custom games...

It IS an interesting and strangely beautiful game - Alice looks kind've sexy sometimes...

I reprogrammed the keys to more closely resemble TR - but I must say, I prefer the non mouse TR. I use a mouse all day at work...

DaveJ
28th Jul 2002, 08:49
Excellent excellent game.

I love the levels set in the chess board bit ( the name of which obviously escapes me.)

Chris Vrenna's music is one of the best scores for a game ever.

Highly recommended game and soooo trippy!

ShirleyC
28th Jul 2002, 15:50
I love the graphics, also. Have you noticed that when Alice has done nothing for awhile, she plays with the cards (get stuck to her head), plays with the knife, and does other odd things with her toys she is holding? But, I definitely don't play this game while my 4 yr. old grandson is watching!
Shirley

DanO-mulder
28th Jul 2002, 16:42
JunoJIm - I'll look where you can DL them....and get back to ya....

(if anyone knows if I can just e-mail them (they are both zip files) to him let me know I've never tried that....)

DaveJ - That level was called "Pale Realm"

jso2897
29th Jul 2002, 00:58
I'm playing Alice right now. It's really beautiful. The control system is a tad iffy, though.

LarzBritsh
29th Jul 2002, 02:00
Very nice red dress.
It's a good change from her blue one with the dirty apron.

I can't get enough of the music in Alice, it's so original, there is nothing like it.

DaveJ
29th Jul 2002, 07:44
I think the music is available for download one one of the Alice sites.

Chris Vrenna was a founder member of Nine Inch Nails.... I'm amazed the soundtrack was never released commercially. The demand was definitely there.

GoranAgar
29th Jul 2002, 08:23
Dave, how much is the game in the UK by now?

DaveJ
29th Jul 2002, 09:15
Ummmmm.... I'm not sure if it came out on a budget label or not....I can have a look around tomorrow for you.
Is it for you?

GoranAgar
29th Jul 2002, 13:37
Heeheehee, it is for us ;)

Thanks.

DaveJ
29th Jul 2002, 13:55
I can check tonight actually...hitting the shops after work. ;)

TombRaiderChik
29th Jul 2002, 15:55
ive been thinkin of buyin it. i cheked it out at amazon adn its only like 15 bux. wuld all u guys strongly recomend gettin it??

DJ Tech
29th Jul 2002, 16:57
Definitely! I spent $20 on it several months ago and I don't regret it!

The ending is kinda cool...makes it all worthwhile.:)

has anyone else heard that Amercan McGee is giving The Wizard of Oz the same treatment?

DaveJ
29th Jul 2002, 17:34
Hadn't heard that (cool!)

But I had heard that a movie version of "Alice" is planned...people keep mentioning Natalie Portman or Eliza Dushku for the lead.....

TombRaiderChik
29th Jul 2002, 17:47
okay i think ill get it!

they shuld have eliza dushku as alice cuz she seems like the bad *** kinda girl.

DanO-mulder
29th Jul 2002, 21:49
Wizard of Oz......Yeah....I read an interview with him recently....that's his new project......His take on Wizard of Oz......

I'll look around and find the link.......I posted it on the old forum just before it was closed.....American also has a killer web site for his company.....I'll find the link for that too........

DanO-mulder
29th Jul 2002, 21:56
Ok...here it is......great article.....w/ a link to his game design site....callled Carbon6......Note: This is not an interview....American wrote this article on game designing.....A must read ..........

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/showtell/story/0,24330,3312550,00.html

ShirleyC
29th Jul 2002, 23:08
mulder, I'd love to get the red dress, too, if possible.
Shirley

LarzBritsh
29th Jul 2002, 23:29
American McGee is amazing! I love seeing classic stories through his interpretion. I didn't know The Wizard of Oz is being given the same treatment. This ought to be a good one.

The movie ought to be good too.

jso2897
30th Jul 2002, 00:18
Anyone who suspects they might like it probably will - it's really cool. As cheap as it has gotten lately, why not?
The OZ one is going to be even better, I'll warrant - looking forward to it.

DanO-mulder
30th Jul 2002, 00:33
Shirley.....I PM'ed you:)

Slave 4 Her
30th Jul 2002, 04:40
Annyone know if tha game is getting re-released on PS2?....i had the game on PC but it didnt work after a while, my comp was too weak :(....from what i saw though i loved it, great gameplay and beautiful graphics.
Alice would make the perfect movie too :)

JunoJIm
30th Jul 2002, 05:16
I had the same prob - Alice really taxes your computer... I had some "bus confilcts" I think are fixed now, and will reload it & play again, with a little enhancement - thanks, mulder...

Alarable
30th Jul 2002, 17:41
Need some new threads?

Go to:

http://aquatarkus.20m.com/alice.html

Click on the Aqua's Alice Skins link
to arrive at:

http://aquatarkus.20m.com/askin/askins.html

You can choose from nine new dresses to
add to Alice's wardrobe. I have Alice
but haven'i played it yet. I did however
pick her up some new duds.

:)

TRoosevelt_26
30th Jul 2002, 23:06
Originally posted by DJ Tech
...has anyone else heard that Amercan McGee is giving The Wizard of Oz the same treatment?

I did read an interview in which he expressed interest in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The Wizard of Oz would be better, though...can't wait!

DanO-mulder
30th Jul 2002, 23:45
Thanks for the link Alarable

But it does'nt have the "bright" Red one....so if anyone else wants it let me know and i'll mail it to ya....

TRoosevelt_26....i PM'ED YOU.

ShirleyC
31st Jul 2002, 00:45
I want RED! :D I mean Alice wants red.
Shirley

Alarable, thanks for the link. Alice will surely wear those in the future.

JunoJIm
31st Jul 2002, 04:33
I've finally got my cards (video & sound) stacked right, & Alice plays good !!! Next to load mulder's patches...

ShirleyC
31st Jul 2002, 13:46
I would like to thank the fellow who lives in a CrackerBox Palace for sending me the Red Dress for Alice. Thanks mulder. :)

TRoosevelt_26
31st Jul 2002, 22:12
Originally posted by ShirleyC
I would like to thank the fellow who lives in a CrackerBox Palace for sending me the Red Dress for Alice. Thanks mulder. :)

Ditto that. :)

DanO-mulder
1st Aug 2002, 00:50
Anytime....(hope they are working in your game well....)

Believe it or not just that red dress made the game much better the 2nd time thru for me......I think it's just that bright red against some of the background really went well together......:)

Deekman
1st Aug 2002, 01:51
I've played the demo. Very cool game. I love the twistedness of it.
I want to buy the game, but cannot find the Mac version. I know they made one.
Guess I'll have to go into one of my local shops and see if the can special order it. I don't buy stuff online.
Manuevering took a bit of getting used to. I'm used to TR on the keyboard with no mouse as well.
Here's a link to info on the film:
http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/details/alice.html

JunoJIm
1st Aug 2002, 03:40
I'm gonna try mulder's patches this weekend - she looks good in RED !!!

Lil Lara
1st Aug 2002, 04:17
That game is really cool. does anyone know if they are to bring it out onto PS2? I doubt it...but it would be cool!!:D

Alarable
1st Aug 2002, 04:28
Found some more dresses.

At:

http://alice.trinitee.net/community/fan/skins.shtml

There is a file named gothalice.zip
It's Gothic Alice but doesn't show a picture.

It just says it's a skin. Nothing more.

Anyone brave enough to use it and tell
the rest of us what it is?

At:

http://home.lookinglocal.com/alice/mods/skins.html

There is one called Royal Alice by Nova.
Is this THE red dress you all are
talking about?

TRoosevelt_26
1st Aug 2002, 05:01
Originally posted by Alarable
Found some more dresses.

At:

http://alice.trinitee.net/community/fan/skins.shtml

There is a file named gothalice.zip
It's Gothic Alice but doesn't show a picture.

It just says it's a skin. Nothing more.

Anyone brave enough to use it and tell
the rest of us what it is?

At:

http://home.lookinglocal.com/alice/mods/skins.html

There is one called Royal Alice by Nova.
Is this THE red dress you all are
talking about?

I got the gothic skin earlier today but didn't like it (I really don't like that sort of thing and go more with the "realistic Victorian" look for Alice).

And yes, it is THE red dress. :D

DanO-mulder
1st Aug 2002, 05:07
Yup......royal alice....that be the puppy!:D

Kinda makes me think of that song..."Lady in Red" lol:D

ShirleyC
1st Aug 2002, 17:47
Just curious, but who has dared to play Alice using the HARDEST level. I'm just able to get by using the EASY levels!
:( Alice looks really good in the red dress in the red chess area.
Shirley

DanO-mulder
1st Aug 2002, 18:11
I did my second time thru.......I used an unreal amount of saves! (i'm talkin' alot!)

It was definately a major challange....

That red dress made Pale Realm look so cool.....:)

JunoJIm
2nd Aug 2002, 03:47
mulder !!! here's the RED dress !!!
http://junojim.homestead.com/files/Alice_2.jpg
I love the way she plays with her knife...
when you leave her alone for a while...

rimfire
2nd Aug 2002, 05:02
Alice!

Thanks for reminding me. I could never get Alice to run under Windows, but, ironically, I found that it would run under Linux with the WineX emulator. (Too bad Tomb Raider won't.) Problem is, it was too slow to play, which was probably my old video card.. I got Alice across a swamp or something toward the beginning but it just wasn't fun waiting so long for things to happen.

I built a new computer with some really big numbers for games, but since I got all the drivers and other programs set up I haven't had much time for games and had forgotten about Alice.

I think Alice was originally $60 U.S., but the last time I saw it it had dropped to around $20.

JunoJIm
3rd Aug 2002, 05:27
Hey !!! I just answered your post on XP, and here you are again - !!!

Anyhoo - a friend of mine was telling me how great Linux was (he's always been non-compliant), but it's too bad it won't run TR - I was thinking about getting into Linux, instead of being forced "UP" into XP (and having to report in to MS everytime I change something)...

DaveJ
3rd Aug 2002, 08:05
That doesn't happen...its a myth.

JunoJIm
4th Aug 2002, 02:22
Oh, and I suppose you think they can't see you back through your own CRT ???

rimfire
4th Aug 2002, 06:05
Oh, and I suppose you think they can't see you back through your own CRT ???
They can almost do that. They have the equipment to drive by your house and see what's on your screen. (See below.)

The best way to get into Linux is to set up a Linux file server. You can play with Linux to see what it will do, and meanwhile store some of your Windows files there. You have to install "Samba" for compatability with Windows. Windows 95 works as-is, 98 requires either a registry entry to tell it to use plain-text passwords or a setting in Samba to tell it to use Win98 password encryption. I don't know about any other Windows versions.

I run my user-made TR games from a Linux server. One advantage is that you can set permissions so that only the save-game files can be modified by a user.

Excerpt from
"BEATING THE TEMPEST,"
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN
December 1998, page 44

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Most computer users would be startled to realize that somebody parked outside their home with the right kind of (very expensive) receiving equipment can read the data that appear on their computer screens. The receiver uses the monitor's radio emanations to reconstruct the screen's contents. The U.S. Department of State and other organizations spend a fortune buying shielded hardware to defeat these signals, known as Tempest radiation, after the code name for a government program aimed at tackling it...

The story began...when Microsoft made its $20-million investment in Cambridge's computer science lab and said the company was particularly interested in ways to control software piracy. Most approaches call for some kind of copy protection; Anderson's idea was to design something that would enable detection of offenders rather than prohibit copying, which is a nuisance loathed by consumers. Their concept was to make computer screens broadcast the serial number of the software in use. In principle, properly equipped vans could patrol business districts looking for copyright infringements.

rimfire
5th Aug 2002, 21:43
Does anyone else think this is a strange game? The funny part is that I keep forgetting the keystrokes and start using the ones I use for Tombraiding. The other day I tried to make Alice do a backflip which is impossible for her!
Shirley
I reinstalled it today (under Linux) and it's running pretty nicely. Playing with the sound settings caused it to lock up serveral times, so I put it back to the defaults.

Now that I'm playing it, I couldn't agree more with Shirley. I may redefine my keys to be closer to TR. One of the nice things about TR is that the key functions were pretty close to those of other games like Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, and Jazz Jackrabbit.

The other problem is that it's so dark, even with brightness maxed out. Playing at night is usually the solution to that because this room gets a lot of sunlight.

ShirleyC
6th Aug 2002, 00:28
I did notice that as I got further into the game (P4, WinMe computer), it started to slow way down at times even after closing all programs down except Explorer & Systray. I decided to install it on my laptop (P3, WinXP), and I don't have the slowdown problem. I licked the darkness problem by moving the Notebook screen to make it lighter. The graphics are great now but it might be because of the 64MB video card. My daughter sent "Darkened Skye" to me and I'll try that next. Don't think it's going to be another Tombraider! :D
Shirley