PDA

View Full Version : The Eternal Prison

CyberFish
26th Jul 2002, 21:34
As well as being the most atmospheric level in the game (IMO), the eternal prison raises a lot of interesting questions.

Firstly, what exactly are the prison guardians? Are they living creatures, demons, or ghosts? They have the same glowing green eyes and arcane magic as the Hylden. And they seem to be as insane as the creatures they keep imprisoned. And just what is their Great Experiment?

Secondly, what's with all the clock-like devices in the Prison? My guess is that they distort time, allowing the creatures in the prison to, in essence, live forever, albeit in constant torment. When Kain broke the device, the prison was no longer eternal, and the wretched inhabitants would at last find the merciful release of death.

Next, part of the Prison seems to occupy a different dimension altogether, and subscribe to a different set of laws of physics. Why?

One of the most fascinating enigmas arises from the Builder. The Sarafan Lord claims that the Hylden changed from thier former appearence (the murals and wall carvings in the Hylden City) due to their imprisonment in the demon dimension. And yet, the builder also changed, despite never having been in the demon dimension.

Also, how come the Builder is in the Prison at all? Presumably, work on the Device continued right up until the defeat of the Hylden, when it abruptly ceased due to the banishment. The Builder must have been imprisoned before then, or he would have been banished to the demon dimension with the rest of his race. How is it that he was imprisoned before the completion of the Device? If an outside agency intervened to mete out justice, why did they not also destroy the Device, if they thought it so evil?

And another thing. Why the huge statue of Moebius? Did he travel back in time in order to create the Prison, and thus the statue was in honour of him; or was the statue a later addition?

And another thing: Why is Magnus in the prison? His crime was, seemingly, wanting to overthrow the Sarafan Lord.

My theory is this: The Prison was created by the Hylden, as a place of eternal punishment for their vampire enemies. The Guardians are a sort of subspecies of Hylden, or maybe even undead Hylden. The Builder was not imprisoned for creating the Device, but for refusing to complete it. His conscience could not bear the act of annihilating an entire race. Moebius, as an enemy of the Vampires, aided the Prison Guardians in some way, possibly something to do with the time distortion devices, and so they honoured him with the statue. Magnus was imprisoned on the orders of the Sarafan Lord.

I can't explain why the Builder changed like the other Hylden. Possibly part of the Prison is built in a dimension very much like the demon dimension, or it may be due to his suffering in the Prison. Or, possibly, the Hylden would have changed even without being imprisoned.

KainSyndrome101
27th Jul 2002, 01:37
If my memory serves correctly, I don't think the Sarafan Lord said the Hylden actually changed in shape. I remember him saying they had become deranged and they went insane during their imprisonment.

Magnus is in the Eternal Prison because the Sarafan Lord sent him there for trying to kill him. He also messed up his mind quite a bit.

Rook
27th Jul 2002, 06:14
Actually, I believe the Sarafan Lord did make mention of the demon dimension's physical effect on the Hylden. As he says, "You see what it has made of our once fair race." I would think he was referring to their physical appearance before they were banished. They did look a bit better in the murals in the Hylden City. Weird, but better...

KainSyndrome101
27th Jul 2002, 07:46
The Hylden in the murals in SR2 look just like the ones in BO2, the ones without the blue coats.

NexusStone
22nd Jun 2007, 17:20
OK, I have an error at 25% Eternal Prison. It's says : Send Report, Dont send report. How can help me ? I need a save at the battle with Magnus , or a save with 30% or 40%, to be may large than 25%. Please !! Mail me at janos_audron2007@yahoo.com

FearGhoul
22nd Jun 2007, 20:47
The Hylden did used to look better, just look at the murals in the Hylden City. I'm pretty sure that the builder looks like that because of all the torture they put him through there, and because it was easier than programming another model just for this guy that's barely in it and could be reasoned away with the horrible torture thing.

Turaziel
24th Jun 2007, 12:52
The Hylden did used to look better, just look at the murals in the Hylden City.

I would agree with you but then again the murals were created by the Hylden themselves. Just like how the Vampires drew them as demonic looking, it would make sense the Hylden would draw themselves in a noble, angelic light.
I don't think we can say what the Hylden looked like before until we see a neutral parties depiction of them.
Although I do really believe they weren't as weird as they were in BO2. The Builder didn't look exactly like a Hylden. He had larger eyes, a more rounded face and didn't look as a anorexic as them.

I think I read somewhere that Moebius didn't build the Prison, but when he became Guardian he went there and effectively took over.

I don't think the Guards were crazy, but instead fiercely devoted to their duties. Kain wasn't supposed to be there and could potentially release the prisoners so they were trying to stop him. And I don't think they are Hydlen. I think they are a non-aligned entity that exist only to maintain the Eternal Prison.

The DarkOne
24th Jun 2007, 16:31
I don't think we can say what the Hylden looked like before until we see a neutral parties depiction of them.
Although I do really believe they weren't as weird as they were in BO2. The Builder didn't look exactly like a Hylden. He had larger eyes, a more rounded face and didn't look as a anorexic as them.

Or.......we could just take a look at the Seer and say:" Hey...that's how the Hylden looked like before they were banished" :rolleyes: ;)

NexusStone
24th Jun 2007, 16:58
Who can send me saves with eternal prison or the device, or the wharves?Pleasee.!!! My e-mail is janos_audron2007@yahoo.com :( :(

dragonfly2
26th Jun 2007, 02:10
AAAWWW come on folks give this guy a break. does any one know how to help this guy.:scratch: