PDA

View Full Version : HTML has been enabled

Zaphod
24th Jul 2002, 16:53
<div style="background-color:#CCFF99">
Here's the deal: HTML has been enabled in all the Himans forums.

While this was done to facilitate rescuing threads from the old forum, it also provides members with the ability to design fancier posts (such as I've done with the background color and marquee at the bottom).

If you know how to write HTML code, feel free to spice things up. For example, you might find it useful to place information you're posting inside a simple table.

<p style="border:medium groove red; padding:4px 4px 4px 4px; margin-bottom:0px;">If you're an HTML novice, please don't use this to experiment. While it's unlikely that you'll break anything, you could seriously mess up the thread you're posting in. If you need help with a certain HTML feature, try this site (http://vzone.virgin.net/sizzling.jalfrezi/iniframe.htm), it's a well-organized resource for people starting out. But I don't want this place to turn into "how do you make JavaScripts work with icons?" HTML is on - the novelty will wear off quickly and we'll just come to accept it as standard fare. It's not that big a deal - it's just a nice extra feature to have.

Now, I'm going to contradict what I just said about it not being a big deal. And I know I don't need to say this for the majority of people here, but please be aware that abuse of this feature will not sit well with myself, RedLegg, or Grey Mouser. People should always update their browsers with the most recent security patches anyway, though, so no one should be at risk. If you use IE and don't visit Windows Update (http://www.windowsupdate.com) every month or so, you're a big dope. That said, any (and I mean ANY) malicious or improper use of HTML will result in an immediate ban. Green?</p>

<font size=6 color="#9933FF"><b><marquee behavior="alternate">Now go forth and enjoy yourselves.</marquee></b></font>

I totally stole the bulk of this text from Catman in the Deus Ex forums. But don't tell him, cause he'd get really mad and create all manner of icons with cats hopping up and down on my mangled corpse. And no one wants cats hopping up and down on their mangled corpse.
</div>

ICEBreaker
24th Jul 2002, 21:52
Cool, but I have a question... when I make a table, there is a large space on top of it. What am I doing wrong?

Example:
<TABLE BORDER=1 WIDTH="75%" CELLPADDING=6 CELLSPACING=2><TR><TH>Cool</TH><TH>Sad</TH></TR><TR><TD>Belle & Sebastian</TD><TD>Michael Bolton</TD></TR><TR><TD>Bentley Rhythm Ace</TD><TD>Mariah Carey</TD></TR></TABLE>

See, I put all of your table on one "virtual" line. Note the code isn't easy to read, but it works! :D
RedLegg

ICEBreaker
24th Jul 2002, 21:55
By the way has polls been restricted to only 5 choices now?? :(

Zaphod
24th Jul 2002, 22:03
I submit your table problems stem from the fact that you totally suck.

No, seriously, I don't know off the top of my head just by looking at your code. And I'm trying to get the heck out of this office. I'll look at it when I get home. Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

Saba
25th Jul 2002, 06:09
Hmmm. I think he sucks.

Just kidding, ICE. I actually am an html novice. So I'm in no position to judge you or help you. Sorry.

RedLegg
25th Jul 2002, 07:29
Originally posted by Zaphod
I submit your table problems stem from the fact that you totally suck.

Well, that might be the case, but vB want any table included in the message to be on one line. It "buffers" your carrage returns and puts them at the top. Thus in a really long table you will have a totally messed up output. Just put the table on one line. That is how Catman solved the problem over in the Thief forums.

See your table after my edit!

Good luck,

ICEBreaker
25th Jul 2002, 11:11
AH I see!! Thank you!! By the way is polls only limited to 5?? Oops! I wanted to make a 6 option poll... I guess I can't.

Zaphod
25th Jul 2002, 11:37
RedLegg es el hombre mui macho!!

Thanks, Red.

Saba
25th Jul 2002, 20:06
*applause*

NZrevenge
11th Aug 2002, 12:50
<HTML></HEAD><BODY bgColor=#aa9980><FONT face=Chiller color=#ff0000 size=6><STRONG><DIV align=center><HR></DIV></STRONG></FONT><DIV align=center><FONT face=Chiller color=#ff0000 size=6><STRONG>Hurrah! All praise the fule who let me use html!!!</STRONG></FONT></DIV><DIV><HR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Creamy_Goodness
12th Aug 2002, 17:42
<marquee>
ugh, this going to get annoying for anybody?
</marquee>

NZrevenge
13th Aug 2002, 05:41
<HR><marquee behavior="alternate"><FONT face=Chiller color=#ff0000 size=8><STRONG>No, but I bet this will...</STRONG></FONT></marquee><HR><DIV align=center><FONT face=Stencil size=4><EM>Now come on Creamy_Goodness, I have the attention span of a drug-****ed disease-ridden flea with Alzheimer's disease, ADHD and down syndrome who happens to be in the last few minutes of it's life.
I'll get bored of this idiocy soon enough.</EM></FONT></DIV>
I can almost guarantee that the same will happen with everyone else. Once the initial excitement is over it will merely be another tool that we will occasionally use to spruce up posts and illustrate some points more clearly (for those of you on the sidelines here, Creamy_Goodness moderates the Startopia forums and we're trying to get html enable there too). We have a lot of budding talent in the form of fanfic and RPG writers, and html would really make things look cool.