PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable FM file size

Gumdrop
24th Jul 2002, 14:53
I know there are 56k users out there that rushed to download CL, but what do you think is an acceptable file size to download for your average fm?

RiCh
24th Jul 2002, 15:32
I don’t think size actually matters that much now a days. With Download mangers like Get Right and Go!zilla. People with 56k modems (like me) just have to be patient. I’ve downloaded every FM available for T1 and T2 including CL and Hallucinations and all the other bigger sized FMs. I just let them DL through the night so I don’t really have to wait for them. It’s only custom textures, sound, objects and movies that make the file big. Just because certain smaller FMs may not have these, doesn’t mean its ‘average’ But I think you mean what’s an acceptable average for an fm zip file? I think most quality FMs fall into the 5-10meg margins, so I’ll go for that. But like I said even though I’m a poor 56ker I’m not that bothered.....sob! I wish I had broadband!!!!:(

Lytha
24th Jul 2002, 16:48
Oh, I understood the poll as "what size should the FM designers aim for" - these insanely big FMs are IMHO overdoing it a little bit, although they are great of course. :)

But what shall I say... my automap blows up the file size of the zip already a lot. :p

Danventry
24th Jul 2002, 17:26
*snicker snicker* I love having cable connection! Anyways, I voted 2-5 for all the slow-pokes. Plus, I can't use much space on my computer (my parents have problems, we have about 90% of space left, and I can't use much).

ChristineS
24th Jul 2002, 17:54
Hm, I can't vote, but I think the filesize isn't so important. I also use a 56k Modem, I got some fm's on CD from a friend. But you can also order the fm cd's or dvd by Komag. It's also practical if you don't have much space on your computer...:)

THEthief
24th Jul 2002, 19:17
Up until recently, when someone kindly reccomended one of these, I didn't know about the File Managers, but, now that I have got one, it doesn't really matter that much, even over my horrible 56k connection. :)
I do agree with you, Christine - I still use my FM disks, even though I have all the FM's on my hard disk. :)

Komag
24th Jul 2002, 19:39
The bigger the better (almost)! I don't care how big it is at all, though I do have pity on those with limited connection or limited HD space :D

ChowYunFat
24th Jul 2002, 20:17
I have a 56k connection so I usually don't dl anything more than the 5-10 MB range unless it's really something special. Since I can get the big ones from Komag anyway it's not that big a deal.

BrokenArts
24th Jul 2002, 20:44
Small
Medium
Large
Super Size Would you like fries with that order?
Naaa, don't matter to me. :p :D Hold the mayo, mmKay?

Thorin Oakenshield
24th Jul 2002, 21:31
I'm a 56k'er :rolleyes: (for a while longer:D )
You build it, I'll download it :p

Huntress
24th Jul 2002, 23:16
I did vote for the 15-15 (although think that was a typeO..probably meant from 15-20) :) As an average download for what should be a fairly good FM...usually better/more architecture...more rounded out story/characters, etc. I have no problem with as they take a few hours but not too many hours if needed...as I'm a 56k'r myself...however, the exception and always an exception :D, is an exceptional FM that has been released...i.e. 7th Crystal, Hallucinations, and CL...I just do the same thing..put them on later in the evening with DAP and let'r rip! So whatever works is fine with me...just give me good ones to play and I'll be happy :) Of course the 5-10 range are also very acceptable for download size as well and have been many very good ones in that range also! Ta and Good Hunting!

Belboz
25th Jul 2002, 06:29
Its not downloading that's the problem, its uploading, thats a real big problem if you have a slow connection. Specially if you've got about 10k of a mission left to up load in a 8 meg mission, and your isp suddenly cuts the connection.
:rolleyes:

Komag
25th Jul 2002, 06:45
Uploading for me is MUCH slower than downloading. I can download at real download speeds of anywhere between 100kps to 250kps (56k connection usually downloads around 3-6kps). But my upload is only around 25kps - still 5 times faster than 56k download speed, but almost a tenth my own download speed.

Gumdrop
25th Jul 2002, 12:01
15-15 eh?! :rolleyes: :o

Ofcourse, by "average FM" I am refering to the size of the file and not the quality of the mission. There are plenty of great smaller missions such as many of the contest entries. I am surprised by the resaults so far though, as I thought the 10-15 bracket would be most peoples limits. But then we are still playing a game that is getting long in the tooth, so I guess it's dedication for you. :)

Oh and I have only recently discovered the pains of uploading, so I once again bow down to the great people in this community that host all the FM's.

SlyFoxx
25th Jul 2002, 14:01
Make the mission as big as it needs to be. It's your mission. I use dial-up right now but it won't be long before that changes. I had Komag hook me up with everthing that was avaliable since around the release of CL. That has allowed me to get "caught up" so to speak so now DL'ing the rest via modem is not such a big deal.

Peter_Smith
27th Jul 2002, 04:36
I agree with the above. Size doesn't matter. The only stipulation is that when you download a huge file you expect something in return. To date I have not been disappointed by large missions.

Squid
28th Jul 2002, 22:10
I'm one of the people who voted for the 5 to 10 range. I don't have any download manager, and I don't plan on getting it, either. (I don't download enough to warrant it.) If a big mission comes out that I need to get, I go to a friend's who has DSL, download it there, then burn it to a CD and bring it back to my computer. I average about 3 minutes for a meg worth of download, (usually late at night,) so anything that pushes a download for me over thirty minutes is bad... usually means I let it run late at night and go do something else, or go to my friend's place.

Squid

Master Garett
12th Aug 2002, 20:38
5-20 is best...

I'm one of those with limited HD... I know, I should get an upgrade, but untill I have to work with I've got... and though I love to place Calendra's Cistern I can't untill now...