PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raiders Rob Tombs!

FoxyKat
21st Jul 2002, 05:04
Does anybody know if Lara is raiding any tombs on AOD? The tombs have been kinda fading in the last few games, when the tomb is only one or two parts of the game, then your in a city or on a haunted island. Or even worse, a building in New York( if you look carefully out the window on Chronicles, you can see the Twin Towers.) That is so un-thosands of years old. :p
I believe that was the orginal idea when they created the game. I mean look at the title! That was the reason i played the game, not to jump buildings and run away from cops. Its sounds like it should be just called Angel of Darkness, and take the Tomb Raider out of the title.

PLease someone tell me there is some kind of ancient tomb in AOD!!!!!!
:confused:

DaveJ
21st Jul 2002, 08:08
When they originally designed and titled the first game, I don't think anyone thought it would be as successful as it ultimately became.

So now the name has become pretty meaningless... although "Tombs" has gone on to mean any locked, secretive, mysterious place that one can break into....or "Raid".

So I guess its still applicable.

Depends on ones' perspective.

5 or 6 games of JUST raiding Tombs would have gotten real old real fast.

LeeO
21st Jul 2002, 13:32
She goes to the Paris catacombs. Is that any condolence?

Kristine@LIM
21st Jul 2002, 13:35
bugger...you got there before me lee;)

here are some links to the catacombs
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paris/cata/

http://membres.lycos.fr/houze/english/

http://triggur.org/cata/

FoxyKat
22nd Jul 2002, 02:30
Originally posted by LeeO
She goes to the Paris catacombs. Is that any condolence?

The Paris Caracombs was built only a hundred years ago, maybe a little, but itn't exactly ancient mysterios people who built it.

My real question is if there is really any Tomb Raiding in AOD, i like going into old temples with the posion darts, puzzles, and the boulders. Little weird pictures on the walls and weird animals that attack. :eek:

The Sage Of Time
22nd Jul 2002, 03:04
Originally posted by DaveJ
When they originally designed and titled the first game, I don't think anyone thought it would be as successful as it ultimately became.

So now the name has become pretty meaningless...
Exactly.. Just look at the Final Fantasy series..
It was named that in the start because it was planned to be the "final" game they made.
However the game became popular and resources grew, allowing them to make more games and more FF's..
The title when you think about it has no meaning anymore (if it really did to start with)
But point is, no one has complained about it, because it doesn't matter, the game is the same by any other name.

MountainDewNut
22nd Jul 2002, 03:50
The once small seed grew up into a giant tree
Tomb Raider has evolved so much! From the blocky Lara to the smooth 'one skin' Lara. From the blocky enviorment to the more realistic one.

FoxyKat
22nd Jul 2002, 05:25
my point is i like the tombs, and i'm gonna complain.:mad:

IS ANYONE REALLY READING THESE, I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THERE IS AT LEAST ONE TOMB IN ANGEL OF DARKNESS!!!!!!!!!!

DaveJ
22nd Jul 2002, 07:14
We don't know yet...it hasn't been released!
There may be later in the game, but don't hold your breath.
Core were talking about removing the words "Tomb Raider" from this and future games completely - so I would guess not.

Acidman796
22nd Jul 2002, 14:56
that is true davej, they did say the 'might' be dropping the Tomb Raider name, but they obviously either kept it because it's their brand (we all know lara from Tomb Raider and to change the name could effect her popularity) or because in AOD she does actually do some good old 'tomb raiding'. i hope so, a mixture of the old Tomb Raider with the new 'next generation' elements - adult story, better graphics, better gameplay etc.

Chip Davis
26th Jul 2002, 21:24
Two suggestions for Core Design....

1. Bring back the Tombs!!! TR1 and TR4 were the best because they really gave us a Tomb Raider (well, okay, TR1 was light on actual tombs, but there were plenty of underground, dark, mysterious places, so it qualifies.) TR2 exchanged caves/tombs for Opera Houses and cities.... lame. Chronicles tried to bring back the best elements of all the previous games, but they forgot to include the tombs! (Note to Core Design: Check the title of your bestselling game and act accordingly.)

2. If you're going to scrap the tombs, shorten the title. "Lara Croft: Angel Of Darkness" is shorter, neater and more fitting. What's more, it might not trigger the gag reflexes as quickly in the critics who are going to look at "Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness" and say, "Good God, what's this? The twentieth game in that damn series?" By dropping the Tomb Raider monicker, Core can really let Lara take off in a whole new series.

DaveJ
27th Jul 2002, 07:08
Catacombs rhymes with Tombs......

Chip Davis
27th Jul 2002, 14:07
uh... actually it doesn't. Unless you say "catacooms" or "tomes."

But your point is well taken.

DaveJ
28th Jul 2002, 08:40
catacombs is pronounced 'catacooms'...at least over here.

cowboy from hell
28th Jul 2002, 14:19
catacombs is pronounced 'catacooms'...at least over here.

Where is here DaveJ?:D In the States it's pronounced 'cata-come' like a hair comb. Just an observance, I'm not trying to start a pronunciation war, lol! My favorite thing to hear from neighboring states is(I'm from Texas), you guys talk funny! That's odd since we are bigger than alot of countries, not to mention the states that border us. Oh well, got a little off topic there.

Chip Davis
28th Jul 2002, 14:43
According to the Merriam Webster New Collegiate Dictionary, "catacooms" isn't even an alternative..... but now we're way off topic.

The point is, catacombs serve a similar function to tombs. According to the dictionary (again): "a subterranean cemetary of galleries with recesses for tombs." So, I guess Lara will still be tomb raiding after all. Cool!

Now, another wish-- don't overdo the combat! TR has been (and should be) about exploration and puzzle solving, with just enough bad guys to keep you on your toes, and to make your pulse quicken a bit when rounding a corner. If Core can keep this balance intact for AOD, it ought to be good.

DaveJ
29th Jul 2002, 07:37
Lets just say I'm from the place that pronounces it 'al yoo min ium' and not 'aloominum'. And where fanny means something completely different to what it does in the US.

Why spell it like Kansas if its pronounced Arkansaw?

Try the Oxford English Dictionary. ;)

DaveJ
29th Jul 2002, 13:51
Just confirmed it with my good friends at The Oxford English Dictionary (perk of the job!)....no-one on this side of the pond pronounces it cata-comb (as in comb for hair)... its proper pronunciation rhymes with 'tomb' and 'womb'.
I guess its another word the US (and its dictionaries) has managed to mangle. ;)

Its an Old English word derived from the Latin catacumbas...the name of the subterranean cemetery of St. Sebastian near Rome.

Chip Davis
29th Jul 2002, 20:57
Oh sure, whip out the Oxford dictionary why don't you....

Okay fine, so you guys say "catacoom." You also drive on the wrong side of the street, call your trucks Lorrie, and exist soley on fish n'chips, unlike us proud Americans who live solely off of cheeseburgers and pizza! (ummm... wait a sec.... this argument is going nowhere... nevermind.) Anyway, I will continue to hold my head high when I utter the word "Catacomb," pronounced in its fine American way. God Bless America. God Save the Queen. Amen.

FoxyKat
31st Jul 2002, 03:35
Lets just say I'm from the place that pronounces it 'al yoo min ium' and not 'aloominum'. And where fanny means something completely different to what it does in the US.

Why spell it like Kansas if its pronounced Arkansaw?

Try the Oxford English Dictionary. ;)

Dork, Kansas is Can-sis, will Arkansas is Askansaw:p

DaveJ
31st Jul 2002, 07:19
Originally posted by FoxyKat

Dork, Kansas is Can-sis, will Arkansas is Askansaw:p

Thats why I said "like Kansas". Spelt the same, pronounced differently. That was kinda my point....

And I assume 'will' should be 'while' or 'whilst'?

Glass houses, kitty....glass houses.

FoxyKat
1st Aug 2002, 18:18

And I assume 'will' should be 'while' or 'whilst'?

ACK! you got me! :D

Casey
2nd Aug 2002, 02:41
Tomb Raiders rob tombs!
Yeah, so they do. It's good for them, and it's good for us. Ain't that sooo sweet! (kinda fun, huh?)
:p :p :p

Godfather
6th Aug 2002, 11:30
I personally like it that they change the typical Tomb Raider-atmosphere into something more realistic and a more social environment ... it's not only more fun to play, but it's also easier to relate to. So, personally: I wouldn't mind if the amount of tombs that Lara Croft has to raid is minimized. I like her being in a real city being chased by cops or having to penetrate in someone's home and hide under the bed, go through closets, shelfs, etc... It's fun!

That is why Tomb Raider 2 had so much success. Because it didn't have the typical tombs of Tomb Raider 1. I would personally hate it if any of the new Tomb Raider-games would carry the same atmosphere as the one from Tomb Raider 1 ... it would not be a success if Tomb Raider - AOD would be like Tomb Raider 1 ... but that's my opinion.

http://216.40.241.68/contrib/blackeye/AR15firing.gif