PDA

View Full Version : I want Polls and Post counts back!

snickrep2002
20th Jul 2002, 01:24
I am so mad, I want the polls and post counts back. Why was it taken away? I really want to see how many posts I made, I'm just curious. It was really helpful. Also the polls was a great new feature! But now it is gone :(

Since we don't have a poll to vote, I will just write this in the post, here is goes:

Reply back if you think they shoud bring back the polls and post counts.

Yes

or

No

My answer:Yes

LarzBritsh
20th Jul 2002, 01:32
Yes - for both.

PS. you can still view your post count by clicking on "profile" under one of your replies or threads.

It's unfair that the majority of the forum didn't get to vote about this. If they did, i doubt post counts would be gone.

MacAngel
20th Jul 2002, 01:37
Yes
This really sucks. I've never made a poll and I wanted to make one. No one tells us about these things.:rolleyes:
:p snickereop is right, it's just a little impratical that we have to do all that stuff just to see a number.

Prelude
20th Jul 2002, 01:41
Well I think my answers kinda of obvious but here goes anyway, I’d be a bit of a hypocrite if I didn’t vote for this one :rolleyes:

YES TO BOTH!!!!

Chronicles5
20th Jul 2002, 01:51
yes and yes, post counts were great, you have a good idea of how much you've been here, but in the general ot forums it was voted out by one of the last few polls, and why these were taken away, i can only guess. there was probably a good reason for it though, i just wish we all knew why! maybe too many polls got posted, and they just got rid of them? oh well, no fighting city hall :(

Aquarius
20th Jul 2002, 02:20
I say yes at least to polls. Post counts would be nice to have back. It helps you to know who's been here longer, and in a way, who's words you can take to be true and accurate. lol Like words of wisdom. :D

NZrevenge
20th Jul 2002, 12:43
I say bring them both back!

DKSM
20th Jul 2002, 13:07
Yes on polls, no on posts.
When they delete threads, your posts go with it. Because of this, your post count goes down. Why would you want to have a post count that consistently goes up and down?? :p

NZrevenge
20th Jul 2002, 13:11
They only delete spams and games. If you don't participate in either, your post count shall not fall.

V_Croft
20th Jul 2002, 14:24
YES to both!
For the above reasons.

Emma
20th Jul 2002, 14:57
Sorry to go against the grain, but I'm say NO
Why do you need to know how many posts you have done? It only incourages spamming to bump up your post count. And as for the polls, i was a mistake from the start and people never really used them for anything useful or interesting and they were just clogging up the forum. I think that getting rid of these two things was the best thing that Eidos ever did.

NZrevenge
20th Jul 2002, 15:12
But it was a poll that took down post counts. If you agree with the post counts being removed, then you can't logically say that polls were never really useful or interesting.

Once again, just because you (everyone, not just Emma) know who the regulars are, doesn't mean that the newbie who has just started up on these forums for the first time will. The guys who have been around for ages trying to do nothing but bump posts are still doing it now. They merely have to just do a bit more work to see their progress and their competitor's progress. Only the newbies have been disadvantaged by the loss of post counts, and that's who I've been defending all along, to no avail.

DaveJ
20th Jul 2002, 16:08
Valid polls were few and far between, the rest were spam...good riddance to them I say.

Post counts caused problems too numerous to mention in the past....a majority voted them out in the Eidos OT forum. Good riddance to them, too.

(They also gave no indication of who had been here longest.
Some members who have been here 3 years may have only had 2000 posts... others who had only been here 6 months also had 2000 posts. )

And since ANY old threads being deleted will drop your total...whats the point?

Prelude
20th Jul 2002, 20:56
Originally posted by Drexel
Yes to Poles
and
yes to Posts....

I'm putting up a new fence.:p :D

http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/otn/realhappy/xxrotflmao.gif ROTFLMAO!!!!

rocconorth
20th Jul 2002, 21:11
Bring back the polls and post counts so Prelude can sleep at night again. :D

(Miss G...your inbox is full again :)

Arlene
20th Jul 2002, 21:14
Originally posted by DaveJ
since ANY old threads being deleted will drop your total...whats the point?

Someone, please let me know, did this happen at the original forum? I don't think so or else there wouldn't have been any high post counts there. My question is why does it happen here? And maybe there is something that can be done to stop it?

And as to the question of this thread; (just in case its "official") I vote yes for post counts and no for the polls.

moose562
20th Jul 2002, 22:12
I say "YES" to both counts

however, i trust the judgement of the admin and they must have had valid reasons for doing so - i think a personal address to them might be more effectual :)

tomb_raiding
21st Jul 2002, 01:37
YES 2 Both

NZrevenge
21st Jul 2002, 08:24
Originally posted by NZrevenge
They only delete spams and games. If you don't participate in either, your post count shall not fall. How many more times will I have to repeat myself?

GoranAgar
21st Jul 2002, 11:34
Originally posted by Arlene
Someone, please let me know, did this happen at the original forum? I don't think so or else there wouldn't have been any high post counts there. My question is why does it happen here? And maybe there is something that can be done to stop it?
No, the old forum just added one to your count after each post. This one counts the existing posts. And if you delete your own post your post count will go down one. If we prune, everyones post count will go down.

And there is nothing that can be done about that. Sorry.

Deekman
21st Jul 2002, 13:24
The only problem with with that is that sometimes legitimate and interesting
threads which have gotten too long may get deleted for space reasons or other
concerns causing post count to go down.
May I now formally request that when the time comes to do that the
thread in question be locked and/or archived but not deleted?

I also understand that the board and its softwear is new and there
are still bugs to be worked out.

For so long people complained about the old forum and its outdated-ness.
The powers that be have answered with this great new forum.
And people still complain. Well, you can't please everybody.

Arlene
21st Jul 2002, 23:53
Originally posted by GoranAgar

No, the old forum just added one to your count after each post. This one counts the existing posts. And if you delete your own post your post count will go down one. If we prune, everyones post count will go down.

And there is nothing that can be done about that. Sorry.

Thank you for that explanation; it clears up a lot. :)

snickrep2002
22nd Jul 2002, 20:00
we can post polls now YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Prelude
22nd Jul 2002, 21:40
Hey that's really cool :cool: So when are we getting post counts back???!!!

Collin
23rd Jul 2002, 03:41
Originally posted by DaveJ
Valid polls were few and far between, the rest were spam...good riddance to them I say.

Post counts caused problems too numerous to mention in the past....a majority voted them out in the Eidos OT forum. Good riddance to them, too.

(They also gave no indication of who had been here longest.
Some members who have been here 3 years may have only had 2000 posts... others who had only been here 6 months also had 2000 posts. )
Listen to the man! He knows what he's talking about!

My thoughts exactly, DaveJ! :)

THE True Lara
23rd Jul 2002, 08:30
YES to whatever we're still voting for! ;)

Driber
24th Jul 2002, 17:31
Originally posted by Prelude
Hey that's really cool :cool: So when are we getting post counts back???!!!

your post count is viewable in your profile and that is enough!

Prelude
24th Jul 2002, 23:18
Originally posted by DriberBallZ

your post count is viewable in your profile and that is enough!

In your opinion :rolleyes:

Dark One
25th Jul 2002, 00:42
Something tells me I shouldn't say this but if it means that much to you to see your post count why don't you yall just put it in manually at the end of all your messages.

I was just trying that as an experiment... before I realized you could see it in your profile. Doy on me.

Oh and mods, my apologies in advance if that suggestion leads to any trouble in the future.