PDA

View Full Version : ff7 under XP with 3dfx

Neophase
19th Jul 2002, 23:49
Just installed ff7.

Got Windows XP.

Got a voodoo3 3000.

Got latest drivers and direct X 8.0.

I run the game, I get a blank dark screen.
I press "enter", I get the "new game/continue" selection, in which I select "new game", than the screen goes dark again and does nothing.

I can alt-tab out of this.
I can press ctrl-Q to get the quit screen come up.
The sound works perfectly.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Neophase
20th Jul 2002, 00:23
I've had help from a friend.

Basically, he says he had the same problems with the movies at the start.... so he suggested me trying to run the movies from the CD....

When I followed these instructions, I got an error while trying to download a CODEC for WMP.

-----------

I need a specific codec now, but dunno how to get it.

Jenova
20th Jul 2002, 04:27
on the installation cd.. install the movie player thingy.. it gives u the codec

Red_XIIII
14th Aug 2002, 23:05
do not install that codec off the cd unless u wanna screw up xp/2k get the Trueduck patch off edios site, it contains the codec and it won't install all the 9x crap that will trash ure system. unfortuneatly if your using a USB gamepad it WON"T work in XP/2k and u can't play the game unless u use the KEYBOARD.... I wish they would fix this, as the game is barely playable with the keyboard.

ryan22
8th Oct 2002, 00:25
i have the same prob except i have a TNT2 M64 video card and installing the patch wont work and the sound doesnt work

Bigrld
11th Oct 2002, 16:15
In win xp for older games if you open the propertys of the shortcut start there is a copatability section, where you can choose to run the game as if it where win 95 or 98 & asalso to chooes to run a smaller screen size try these options.

Bigrld
11th Oct 2002, 16:22
i also have a navida\Tnt card & no matter what i do ff7 wont run, in xp i had it run once but cant find the same combination to get it to run again, just crashes on start up. i think its to do with the newer drivers, might be best to buy FF9.

Rengar
15th Oct 2002, 01:11
3dfx is dead.....get a nvidia Geforce.

The drivers for you voodoo 3 won't work with anything higher than DX7. It's the limitation of the drivers. And being that you can't downgrade to that with WinXP, your only solution is to upgrade your video card to a Geforce 2 or higher.

As for the TNT, The patch is misleading. It really should be called "patch for 8bit palettized disable", because that's what it's really for. Back in the Det 6.50 days, Nvidia had the 8bit paletts disabled in their drivers. Then in later versions they tried to fix it....they all failed until the last few version. They finally got there stuff straight, and now the 8 bit palettization works as good as the old Voodoo's did. (they didn't fix it until they bought out 3dfx, I wonder why....)

So....in other words, Use the newest Det drivers. (30.82's? last time I checked) And then just use the FF7config.exe from the patch. Configure the FF7config, Don't select any of the Riva stuff, just select the Hardware mode and it should work. Do not use the FF7.exe from the patch.

The FF7.exe from the patch is designed to work only if the "8 bit palettize" test says "Failed". There is a way to disable it in your driver and to get the FF7.exe from the patch to work, but why would you want to go through all of that? The results will be the same.

Bigrld
15th Oct 2002, 15:30
thanks but i have tried all that already, config still crashes, will try some more but am close to giveing up, ff11 will be out online in near future.

Rengar
17th Oct 2002, 00:31
You'll be better off just getting into Everquest. FF11....I doubt it will work out.

And you say the FF7config crashes? I don't have any experience with XP. I would first tell you to use Win98SE for FF7. But I doubt you'll like that response. Go back a few months, and search for solutions on getting FF7 to run with XP. You have to get a patch from Microsoft.

think it's detailed in here

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=1554