PDA

View Full Version : Comments on new Thief FAQ, Links, and Archives

Peter_Smith
19th Jul 2002, 23:32
Sorry, Grey Mouser, I deleted your thread by mistake!:( I saw two duplicate threads, not realizing one was for reading and one was for comments. So I have posted this one again for comments.

As Grey Mouser said, I have prepared a web page to hold all of the archives, FAQ, and links that existed in the old forum. The web page is here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/old-ubb/). This required converting all old UBB threads to HTML. To read how this was done, you can read the "FAQ FAQ."

If you find broken links or anything else wrong with the web page, please let me know.

Northren
19th Jul 2002, 23:49
This is a much better idea than having a bunch of "important" threads at the top of every forum. And it's nice to have all the links back in one place, too.

Great job, Grey Mouser, robtech, and Peter Smith. :cool:

Peter_Smith
19th Jul 2002, 23:49
from Komag:

Thanks, great job. This is much more convenient than sticky threads. [sorry Komag, I deleted your post, too].:)

Grey Mouser
19th Jul 2002, 23:52
See a thread Delete a thread...I know how that goes ;)

Thanks again for your efforts Peter! I think this is much better than the horde of sticky topics I was slowly re-creating.

Peter_Smith
19th Jul 2002, 23:55
There is a minor inconsistency with the navigation now. As originally envisioned, this FAQ web page did not open in a new browser page. There is a link at the top that takes you back to the main thief forum. To get back to exactly where you started from, you had to hit the back key many times. But I thought at first that was not so important as going back to the main forum.

Now the web site opens in a new page. So now if you dismiss the new page you are back to where you linked to it, which may be much easier than before. However if you now use the link at the top of the web page (back to the forum), you now have the forum opened up in a new web page, so you may end up with several open pages, not knowing which is which. That may not be so convenient.

So, I would like to ask, which do you prefer, a new page or opening in the old page? And if you like a new page, is the link "return to the forum" useful, or should it be removed?

Aother option, which I prefer myself, is to open it in the old page and if you really want a new page to right click on the link, selecting open in a new page.

Peter_Smith
20th Jul 2002, 05:48
Nightwalker kindly informed me that there are a bunch of broken links that are supposed to link multiple page threads together. Funny. I thought I had generated all of them them as relative links and tested it in another folder. Somehow several of them ended up as absolute links, still pointing to my C drive. No, you can't go there.:) I will fix it ASAP, but this may not be until Monday. I have other fish to fry this weekend, and GM will probably not be around to update the pages anyway.

Please send me all your comments or post them here. I'll try to incorporate them in the next edition.:)

Komag
20th Jul 2002, 06:11
I think it's much better to open a new page as it currently does. I think by far most of us will realize what's going on and just delete that window after using it and have our forums window still there underneath (or minimized)

Thorin Oakenshield
20th Jul 2002, 12:42
Sorry for posting on the other one:rolleyes:
It's Peter's fault for deleting the comments thread:D I only saw the other.

theBlackman
20th Jul 2002, 18:21
I know you are overworked and underpaid (gross understatement) but the links and comments mentioned in the NEWBIE thread need revision or deletion.

I will be happy to do this and when I have it cleaned up you can insert the appropriate links in the blanks. Or we can get together on PM or EM and you can drop me the correct links for me to include.

Then you can just do whatever is necessary to replace the current one with the revision.

Peter_Smith
20th Jul 2002, 21:58
Hi theBlackman. Thanks.

We are linking to internal files not external places if we can avoid it (apart from Thiefsie links). So, please e-mail me your update Sunday evening and I willl include it in the change package I send to Grey Mouser on Monday. BTW, I edited the format of a few headers in the last one, replaced some unnecessary bold font in the mission nicknames section, and inserted a couple of words to avoid ambiguity. Assuming you like these changes, you might download my edited version from the FAQ site and use that as a jumping off place so I don't have to make the same edits again.:)

Which do you like: open in new page or open in same page? I have only one opinion so far.

EDIT: I just reread your message. It's not clear to me what you meant about links. Do you mean that your newbies thread contains links that need to be repaired?

theBlackman
21st Jul 2002, 01:43
Mayhap I misspoke. there is mention of the no longer existing TOPIC scrolls at the top left and right, and I think a mention or "link" to your FM how-2 and some others.

I will re-read the original and refresh my memory. I wrote the note above off the top of my empty head when I posted.

There is also reference to the EDIT QUOTE etc, buttons that is incorrect, as well as the look at someone elses post to see how they used the coding

Will get back to you.

Thanks.

Peter_Smith
22nd Jul 2002, 07:06
I fixed all the broken links associated with multiple page threads, and I removed the link to the Eidos Thief Forum because it is uncessary if the page opens up in a new window. I have sent the new FAQ site to Grey Mouser, and hopefully it will be up on Monday. That's today, isn't it? :)

theBlackman,

Send me you new newbies document whenever you are ready. HTML preferred, but MS Word would be OK too. You can link to topics in the present FAQ page. I may not act on it until next Thursday, because I have some RL things to take care of.

yubetcha
22nd Jul 2002, 11:03
I like it better when it opens a new page. If someone forgets to right click and select "new page" then this takes care of it. At times when I use the back button instead, sometimes it is slow to materialize. Closing a new page is almost instantaneous.

Gumdrop
10th May 2003, 16:01
Hmm...I was just checking out the "Thiefsie Web Links" list. Where is the T2X (www.thief2x.com) link? Cheap Missions will have to be removed too.

Huntress
10th May 2003, 20:48
Oh my...that just reminded me...I have to change my link for Cheap downloads on my Web site...which then will affect my and any others that used it in our Taffer's Wanted Poster when listed under our Web site reference...and anywhere else we used our Web page address???? If I change it at home for main site...will it change globally for everywhere else or do they have to be updated in all of your different profiles in whatever forums, etc. you participate in??? Eyahhhh! :D Ta and Good Hunting!

Peter_Smith
11th May 2003, 18:16
Clearly, some editing is needed. I'll try to take care of that in the not-too-distant future. I also will remove the frames aspect, because the present version does not permit setting links to specific parts. Older and wiser, I have decided that I really dislike frames.