PDA

View Full Version : Texture problems - please help!

THEthief
19th Jul 2002, 15:54
Hi everyone;
I've tried using a few custom textures (mine and Baltaros), but, even though they work, the problem is, they take away all my other textures. :( What can I do? I wanted ONE texture, and I lost everything except that texture family (luckily I hadn't saved...whew!).

ChristineS
19th Jul 2002, 16:20
Have you use the command: load_fam XXX? This command will delete all fam you have and load only the fam XXX. Use the command: add_fam XXX or use the custom menus, it's comfortabler. I hope it helpes you. :)

frobber
19th Jul 2002, 16:32
The best way to bring in a new texture is to use the command "load_a_texture" to load them one at a time ...

load_a_texture [family] [texture name]

Try this. It might work. Not sure why your existing textures were going away, though. Never load water or lava textures -- that's the only potential texture database disaster that I know about.

As to your "whew" about not having saved -- this gets me wondering if you may not be backing up your mission file enough. I always recommend saving the mission to a new filename every hour or less, and keeping a series of these backups going back at least a few weeks -- with copies of these sent to another disc somewhere other than your own PC. Things happen. Disasters strike, and I've read of several dozen projects that have become complete and total junk due to a lack of simple backup methods. Some people were within a day or two of releasing after six months of design. There was a glitch -- and there was no backup! I can only imagine that it might be just about the worst experience of their lives.

Hopefully you're already doing some sort of backup like this -- but I'd rather say this just in case.

ChangelingJane
19th Jul 2002, 20:47
What I do is numerically increment the filename after I make a big change (ie. "fm1.mis", "fm2.mis"), and I move the old versions to a folder called BACKUPS. I then put them all into a zip file with maximum compression to save HD space. Mission files compress *extremely* well.

THEthief
20th Jul 2002, 03:48
Thanks Christine - that's exactly what I did!! :)
Frobber, I have several hundred saves so far, and I'm not half way through - I had just made a few changes, that I didn't want to lose, though, from the time of my previous saves. :D
Thanks, ChangelingJane - I'll remember that. :)

frobber
20th Jul 2002, 15:46
Originally posted by THEthief
Frobber, I have several hundred saves so far, and I'm not half way through -

Excellent! I just didn't want to take any chances and assume you were doing this. Glad you got the texture thing working okay!

THEthief
20th Jul 2002, 18:07
Originally posted by frobber

Excellent! I just didn't want to take any chances and assume you were doing this. Glad you got the texture thing working okay!

Thanks, Frobber - I appreciate your help! :)