PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VIII/Final Fantasy IX

snickrep2002
19th Jul 2002, 07:24
Which final fantasy game should I get next? Final fantasy 8 or Final Fantasy 9? Which one is better?

nanakki
19th Jul 2002, 08:03
hmm.. it really depends on what you like. my preference is final fantasy VIII, but you might prefer the other for the very reasons i don't. i'll try to give you a slight overvuiew of both from my point of view though :)

final fantasy VIII:

pros

1. sweeping graphics (for its time)
2. beautiful story
3. unique characters that don't comfirm to he steryotypical "hero" personalities

cons

1. frustrating and repetative gameplay
2. poorly thought-out fighting sequences
3. a lot of people don't like the main character because of point 3. above. he's very cynical and unco-operative.

final fantasy IX

pros

1. much improved gameplay
2. greater variety in characters - very fantasy-esq
3. more up-to-date graphics (for the ps1 anyway)

cons

1. painfully melodromatic story with (in my opinion) less likeable characters
2. does not seem to advance the series at all
3. boring.

TDC
19th Jul 2002, 08:12
FF8.

The draw system and the GF animations got tiresome, but it was a fantastic experience. In the end, one of the best games I've ever played.

LaraAngelOfDarkness
19th Jul 2002, 09:36
Go with FF8 much more enjoyable. One of the nicest endings I've seen in a game and also one of the nicest beginnings. Also a very fun card game.

LARAMANIAC
19th Jul 2002, 10:11
Definitely FF8 the graphics are brilliant, the story is brilliant, the characters are brilliant, the music is absolutely brilliant. Basically I think FF8 is BRILLIANT!!!!

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/F48.GIF

NZrevenge
19th Jul 2002, 11:18
I absolutely loved both, but FF8 was a little cooler with all that advanced machinery. FF9 gets more into advanced magic than robots.

I probably had a little more fun with FF9 though, because I liked it's card game better, and it was a little more lighthearted (to begin with, anyway).

snickrep2002
19th Jul 2002, 21:59
I want something that is more fantasy. I know that final fantasy 7 was all robots and stuff which bores me. And what I have heard, is that Final Fantasy 8 is the same way. Final Fantasy 10 is very fantasy like. I think I am going to go with Final Fantasy 9. The game looks cool and looking at some screenshots of it, it kinda reminds of the style in final fantasy 10.

Lil Lara
19th Jul 2002, 22:45
I only have FF8, and I enjoy it. I've played a bit from FF9 and it was also fun. Maybe you could borrow them from a friend, or somebody, and see how you like them? Hmm... that's just my suggestion but it seems that you have already gone with FF9.

Has anyone finished FF8? I got really into the game, but I got stuck! Ack, I hate that! I'm at the part in the second disc, I believe it's at the "Fisherman's Warf" town. Well, I'm at the part where you have to fight that one strong guy, and you think you kill him.. and then you have to fight him and another person. Sorry if I am being really vague, I haven't played it in a while. If anyone could help me.. or understand what I just said.. heh..could you perhaps help me? Thanks, much appreciated!:D :p

j.d.r.v
20th Jul 2002, 19:40
i have bolth final fantasy 8 and final fantasy 10 which im hooked on lol , final fantasy 8 i suggest as final fantasy 9 has characters that look like children and the story disspearces from fantasy , but ive heard it has follow thru game play unlike ff8 where it takes forever for the game to progress

The Sage Of Time
20th Jul 2002, 21:37
Well I've played all the FF's and I can say FF8.. Mainly because it was just more interesting from the start.
FF9 was great, but it took awhile to get into the game, and thus was a little boring at the start.
Also FF8 had more "real" looking characters, FF9 focused more on fantasy characters which was a slight let down..
I suggest you get both really, but if that's not an option get FF8 for now.

snickrep2002
20th Jul 2002, 21:57
Originally posted by The Sage Of Time
Well I've played all the FF's and I can say FF8.. Mainly because it was just more interesting from the start.
FF9 was great, but it took awhile to get into the game, and thus was a little boring at the start.
Also FF8 had more "real" looking characters, FF9 focused more on fantasy characters which was a slight let down..
I suggest you get both really, but if that's not an option get FF8 for now.

Well I want a more fantasy final fantasy. And I think I am going to go with final fantasy 9 because it is said to have more of a fantasy feel. It looks more fantasy too and the characters look fantasy which is a good thing.

EddyBones
21st Jul 2002, 00:22
If would just skip 8. I have my own reasons, but I think they would sound stupid. I liked 9 though.

ddev
22nd Jul 2002, 19:55
Geez they're both really good, but I liked 9 better. :confused: There is more exploration in 8 and secret draw points and stuff.
The story brings the characters better than in nine. Amarant just joined because.....well the peeps that played know why. The ending to 9 almost brought a tear to my eye. Theyre both good and it also depends on what you like: fantasy or futuristic(from what the other people said above)

Driber
24th Jul 2002, 17:41
Originally posted by Lil Lara
Has anyone finished FF8? I got really into the game, but I got stuck! Ack, I hate that! I'm at the part in the second disc, I believe it's at the "Fisherman's Warf" town. Well, I'm at the part where you have to fight that one strong guy, and you think you kill him.. and then you have to fight him and another person. Sorry if I am being really vague, I haven't played it in a while. If anyone could help me.. or understand what I just said.. heh..could you perhaps help me? Thanks, much appreciated!:D :p

that would be Fisherman's Horizon ;)
I don't remember how I defeated that boss there, so it's best you have a look at a walkthrough: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/23062.html

DaveJ
24th Jul 2002, 17:47
Never having played one before, and having jumped in straight at FFX...may I ask 'what went wrong'?

The music (in 10) is absolutely appalling, and it isn't an RPG as much as it is a spectator game.

Nice visuals...annoying characters...awful music.

whitemetal
25th Jul 2002, 14:46
I didn't need to read that Dave, i was looking forward to getting into X but i'm still in 8 at the moment which is perhaps where you should have started.
FF8 is repetitive but visual pleasing the music in the FF series has never been fantasic, the story is good and the world roaming is its most appealing and playable part of the game.:)

snickrep2002
25th Jul 2002, 14:55
what are you all talking about? Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 10 have great music. Very classic.

DaveJ
25th Jul 2002, 15:01
Its nasty synthy pop.

Great if the year was 1985.

Younglara_babe
28th Jul 2002, 00:14
I would have to go with Final fantasy 8 because the graphics were cool and the male charecters are HOT!!! *Squall Irvine Zell Seifer Laguna* The magic system is one of my faves. And besides it can get relly fun after the seed tests. I havent played 9 yet so alll of this may be a waste of my time.

Lil Lara you have to fight a soldier in a purple suit and i think 2 people in blue. Then you got to fight BGH251F2,the robot from the missle base, again it will be much easier though. It will take about ten minutes or less to get rid of it. then the three people you sent to the missle base come back. Hope this helps.:D :) :cool: :D ;) :p if you need more help contact me in my email or private messages. Bye Bye Now;)

Lil Lara
28th Jul 2002, 00:27
Yeah.. I do have to say that the characters in FF8 were all very hot. Hehe.. if you can even think of game characters being hot.

I'm at that part where I have to fight Fujin(or is it Rajin..can't remember which) and two guards. Then you think that you killed them and then you go inside the hotel place to fight the "commander"( which is fujin/rajin) and the other person you just faught comes back. It's really weird and I always die. Ack, it sucks....:mad: