PDA

View Full Version : when did post counts................

bene
18th Jul 2002, 21:43
.........stop appearing???
Am I the only one who didn't notice before this?

*must have been asleep at the keyboard*

Prelude
18th Jul 2002, 22:09
Apparently the community voted :rolleyes: Although half the community knew nothing about it.....go figure.

LarzBritsh
18th Jul 2002, 22:18
There was an anti-postcount thread in the General Community Chat. I had my input.

bene
18th Jul 2002, 22:43
sooooooooooooo....................a few on ONE forum, that maybe not all visited, changed the rules for EVERYONE????????

LARAMANIAC
18th Jul 2002, 22:51
Why not take a walk over to the Community Chat board and read the thread entitled "Who thinks we would be better off without post counts"!! This may explain a few things and it wasn't a "few" people who voted it was 90!!!

DKSM
18th Jul 2002, 22:58
I didn't care if it went away, as it would be in my profile, but for some reason, my post count has gone down to like 170 something and it was 300 something before the count went away. Go figure. :rolleyes:

JunoJIm
18th Jul 2002, 23:11
If Ida known that, Ida pushed to make 1000 posts on the old Forum :D

Oh well, at least none of us have many now, so who cares ???

bene - I've been off reloading Win98SE, where are you with SA ??? I left it on my Main HDD, which is now my backup, so I'm back in business...

Anywho - drew tells me I'm almost done - found the first fuse in the Lab...

bene
18th Jul 2002, 23:12
yes................I thought there were over 1,000 people here.
So........90 is not "a few" out of 1,000????????????? When, obviously this was not discussed across all the foums?????????????

Prelude
18th Jul 2002, 23:13
Originally posted by *m*
Yeah, but there are over 1000 members at this board, so 90 people represents less than 9% of the total population.

My point exactly m. The so call “community” voted, like I said in the other thread, I think it’s very unfair to action something that not everyone knew about or realised they had a choice in. That thread should have been posted here as well, so everyone could express their opinion and not just a “few”

Like bene said a few on ONE forum, that maybe not all visited, changed the rules for EVERYONE???????? That so sucks.

bene
18th Jul 2002, 23:16
I can't continue in SA - no healthpacks and DNF hasn't answered yet. soooooooooooo, I guess maybe I'll D/L something else.

bene
18th Jul 2002, 23:31
out of 90 votes:39 ONLY voted against postcounts.
So because these 39 people were there at the right time the rest of us have to just swallow what they dished out????????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Deekman
18th Jul 2002, 23:43
I'm not going to hold it against anybody that only 39 people voted for post count removal.
In the old forum a single OT forum was formed for use by all members, and indeed,
members from all the various forums posted there.
Just because there is an OT forum in each game area as well as the general Eidos
Community forum is no reason not to visit the main community forum.
Lots of cool people there.
Just for the record, I voted "don't care".

Prelude
18th Jul 2002, 23:46
Originally posted by bene
out of 90 votes:39 ONLY voted against postcounts.
So because these 39 people were there at the right time the rest of us have to just swallow what they dished out????????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Another good point. Not only did only 90 people vote, less than 9% of the forum's 'community' but only 39 of them against. What's going on here, this really does suck!!!!

39 people out of 1000, motion carried. The politics of this resembles something from the House of Lords!!!

LarzBritsh
19th Jul 2002, 01:52
I agree, this is unfair.

MacAngel
19th Jul 2002, 03:03
I agree too. That's not fair at all. That's 3.9%. So about 4% of the wohle forum agreed. That's bogus!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Aquarius
19th Jul 2002, 03:57
I never wanted to comment in the thread there, but it was interesting how the ones who were against post counts, were also the ones with more posts in the thread than the others. Interesting how that works out, and also, these same people had counts in the middle to upper 200's........

Hmmmmmmm................

I by the way, also voted for Don't care.......

V_Croft
19th Jul 2002, 07:10
For example I NEVER visit the General Community forum (I only visit the TR forum)And I didn't know why no post counts are shown until now that I noticed this thread. I had no idea! and you know what's the irony? I visit this forum everyday and I spent a lot of time here!
My problem is not the post counts (I don't really care). It's just that there should be a thread here informing us that we can go there and vote! don't you think?

Prelude
19th Jul 2002, 08:44
Yes I agree V-Croft. I’m not so much disputing the post count thing, your right, just becos someone doesn’t post that much doesn’t mean their opinion should be disregarded. And that’s what I’m really on about, everyone is entitled to their opinion especially if it affects others, and on this occasion not everyone’s had the chance to give their opinion. Of course not everyone could or even wanted to, but 9% of the forum’s ‘community’ and 3.9% of that is surely not enough to consider acting on.

LARAMANIAC
19th Jul 2002, 10:28
I totally understand where you are coming from, but don't you think it would be wise to just browse the community chat every now and again in case there are things going on that you need to know about!! I understand that some of you like to stay in the Tomb Raider forums but you are still part of the overall Eidos community so check the Community Chat boards every now and again. I suppose if I hadn't had my vote about the posts I might be a little fed up too!!!

http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/otn/angels/littleangel.gif

NZrevenge
19th Jul 2002, 11:08
What brasses me off is that they lumped all the "Don't care" votes in with the "Would be ", they decided it was a 69% majority in favour of abolishing post counts.

[b]THIS SUCKS!

It's so unfair, there were genuinely good reasons for keeping it. Mostly for the benefit of newbies who needed a way to come to grips with who has been around a while. I argued quite a lot for us to keep them, and each and every time I commented I was sure to repeat a previous point. Meanwhile the "anti-spammers" were spamming the same points over and over.

I would also like to mention the amount of hypocrites that wanted to get rid of post counts and yet recorded their old counts on their signatures. When questioned about it, they said that is was to help them remember the old forums by. Why aren't new members allowed any such momentos?

So first off, our admins and mods need to learn how to count, and they should start listening to reason as opposed to whoever makes their point more times in a row.

I do however agree with their decision to start purging spammy threads. That by itself would be capable of controlling spam...

DKSM
19th Jul 2002, 11:09
Well you people shouldn't care as much because when the mods go pruning the forum, when they delete your posts, your post count will go down, so it will be an endless cycle. ;)

NZrevenge
19th Jul 2002, 11:13
They only prune spammy or long threads. All the short, sweet and meaningful threads would remain untouched. So essence, we would have a quality post count.

Please note that your post count is still visible in your profiles, and that posting in the General Community Forum will not add to this count.

Arlene
19th Jul 2002, 19:04
I was under the impression that the thread in the General Community Chat "who thinks we would be better off without post counts?" was just an opinion poll. I never at the beginning thought that the mods would actually act on it. I also agree that it was wrong not to post something in all the other forums directing members attention to the thread at General Community Chat. As far as post count going down after deleting certain topics, I don't remember this happening at the original forum, because if that had been the case, no one would have had high post counts there.
Why are there post counts? If, like a lot of people here say "it doesn't matter", then why is it a feature in the programming? Every forum I go to has them and this is the only place that has such uproar over them. I personally liked the feature and see nothing wrong with post counts.

spelling edit

Xcom
19th Jul 2002, 19:49
There is a slight misunderstading here. The poll in in Community Chat gave relative representation of the opinions since members from different communities visit it. When you think about it, this is basically how all researches in world are conducted. If you need to determin for example what percentage of people in London drinks coffee, you go to the streets and ask this question to ...say 1000 people which will result in a certain percentage (of those 1000 people). It is not possible to interview all population. The same applies here. The number of members is growing and the poll would take forever should you let ALL members to vote. The current votes were enough for us to see that majority wanted the postcount to be gone/invisible or didn't care. The wasn't any reason to believe that if more ppl voted, this outcome would change.

Deekman
19th Jul 2002, 21:17
If more people voted the results would still most likely be the same.
Just bigger numbers.

Prelude
19th Jul 2002, 21:52
Going on your 'percentages' and the fact that the number of people who vote is irrelevant, 90 people voted, 39 of them voted against. If that is enough to carry the vote, then consider this. 14 people have responded to this thread, 10 of those are against the banning of the post count and think it was unfairly decided, 4 of them didn’t care!!! These percentages are higher than the ones in the ‘community’ post, yet they are not considered? Go figure.

I put it to you, that the poll was unfair, I have read it and most of the peoples comments were against. This post proves that there was not an equal representation of for and against; becos all the people here have said they were not aware of the poll. Admittedly you cannot expect everyone to vote, but not even a fair effort was made to ensure more people had the chance.

Secondly how can you count the people who said don't care as being for the ban, 'don’t care' means 'don’t care' either way. Therefore I conclude that the ban was carried not becos the majority of the ‘community’ were for it, but becos it is easier you for. I also note that the poll was closed before there was time for more people to become aware of it, and before it became to close for you to be able to argue that the majority was for the removing of post counts.

You can close this thread now or delete my post, to cover up the fact that I might actually have a point.

Prelude
19th Jul 2002, 22:09
You’ll be pleased to know I have nothing more to say on this matter, life is too short to continue fighting the masses, as one of the depressed, I have more important issues to resolve under circumstances I might actually be heard.... besides I need a beer. *goes to fridge*

Yours insignificantly

Xcom
19th Jul 2002, 22:36
Originally posted by Prelude
14 people have responded to this thread, 10 of those are against the banning of the post count and think it was unfairly decided, 4 of them didn?t care!!! These percentages are higher than the ones in the ?community? post, yet they are not considered? Go figure.

This is coincedential. 10 people who posted HERE happened to be among those who voted against removal of postcount THERE.

I put it to you, that the poll was unfair, I have read it and most of the peoples comments were against.

This actually doesn't say anything. All that counts are the actual votes. People who were against, obviously, felt more need to post a comment.

Secondly how can you count the people who said don't care as being for the ban, 'don?t care' means 'don?t care' either way.

Even if you totally dismiss "don't care" votes, you'll end up with majority wanting the postcount removed.

Therefore I conclude that the ban was carried not becos the majority of the ?community? were for it, but becos it is easier you for. I also note that the poll was closed before there was time for more people to become aware of it, and before it became to close for you to be able to argue that the majority was for the removing of post counts.

Easier for us? In what way? And what's the purpose of keeping the poll open if the action has already taken place?

You can close this thread now or delete my post, to cover up the fact that I might actually have a point.

I fail to see your point and as you may understand I am not willing to debate this forever. The only thing I care to admit is that if more people had voted, the result could have been more accurate. Again, this doesn't necesserily mean that it would have been different.

Lil Lara
19th Jul 2002, 22:39
Hmmm.. well I don't really care if we have the post count or not showing, I just wish I had known about the poll!(not that it would've made much of a difference)

Prelude
19th Jul 2002, 23:00
Originally posted by Lil Lara
Hmmm.. well I don't really care if we have the post count or not showing, I just wish I had known about the poll!(not that it would've made much of a difference)

Totally agree, whether the post count is there or not is either here or there, my point was that a large amount of the ‘community’ was not aware that the poll was even taking place.

Thank you for your thoughts on my post, however I find your responses confusing and typical of someone who fails to see my point, but as you are understandably not willing to discuss this further, and admittedly there is little point, I will not waste either of our value time and effort in doing so. Hopefully anyone who reads my post with an opened mind will see there is in fact some logic to it.

This is of course only my opinion, allegedly, unconditionally and without prejudice! Sorry if I offended by expressing it.

Prelude
20th Jul 2002, 10:56
That’s a good idea Drexel, ha! the rebellion has started, we will rise above the a pressers and take the forum by force, MWHAHAHAHAA

Grab your mouse mats everyone and beat your computer with them
*picks up mouse mat*

nfdjjhndsijcfkjsfsjkjkdjcsjdncfjkjusdcsalapwpoq’SAKDLASKDWJEDSKDJFMA,LW

maybe not, my computer didn’t like that very much, ok plan B....

LARAMANIAC
20th Jul 2002, 12:29
Originally posted by Prelude
You’ll be pleased to know I have nothing more to say on this matter, life is too short to continue fighting the masses, as one of the depressed, I have more important issues to resolve under circumstances I might actually be heard.... besides I need a beer. *goes to fridge*

Yours insignificantly

Good for you Prelude!!! This is really not worth arguing about!!!
http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/otn/party/beerchug.gif

Gill Rene
20th Jul 2002, 20:05
i dont go in the general chat either but shouldnt stuff like not continuing post counts ect. be in forum announcements?

Arlene
20th Jul 2002, 21:01
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC

This is really not worth arguing about!!!

You have a point LARAMANIAC But, why was it worth a poll in the other forum? Obviously, some members thought it was(worth arguing about). I think it was handled the wrong way. A moderator should have posed the question if they were actually considering removing the feature. That is one reason I did not participate in the poll because I didn't think it was 'official'