PDA

View Full Version : What’s the best T1 FMs?

RiCh
18th Jul 2002, 16:46
I’ve just installed T1 gold for one last time, so I can play all/most of the FMs for it. With T1 FMs drying up I now want to play (at least the best ones) them. Before I un-install the game for good. So what are people’s favourites? So at least I can play them 1st and not miss the best ones!

ChristineS
18th Jul 2002, 17:10
My favourite Thief I Fanmissions are: the Order of the wine, Bloodstone prison and Brother Apache's Thief 1 Campain :) , but there are many excellent missions more...:)

Vanguard
18th Jul 2002, 18:45
Of the 229 T1 and T2 FMs that I've played, I'd say about half of them, or more, are as good or even better than the OMs. So you'll be busy for a long, long time playing the good ones.

Nightwalker
18th Jul 2002, 19:42
There are a lot of really good ones, RiCh, but some of my favourites include: The Order of the Vine, Calendra's Cistern, Mystery Man, Lorgan's Web, Autumn in the Lampfire Hills, Curse of the Ancients, and Hush Hush, Sweet Harlot. Hengist's new one, The Secret Way, is good too.

RiCh
18th Jul 2002, 19:55
Thanks all, just started The Order of the Vine, very impressive! 229! I didn’t realise there were so many? I currently have 125 T1 FM’s installed on my computer, I doubt I’ll play them all, I may play the largest first (zip size) I doubt the smaller FMs are nothing more than demos or very small FMs. I’m sure the larger sized files will Generally be of a better quality than the smaller ones.

Nightwalker
18th Jul 2002, 20:08
That's not entirely true, though it is for the most part. One of the smaller ones that definitely worth playing is a pocket-sized gem called "Shunned". It's a very compact, undead mission that is very well done. Also, Gathering at the Bar, on the Expert setting, is not to be missed. I don't know how big it is, but it was the first FM ever made and it still stands as an excellent classic mission.

Komag
18th Jul 2002, 21:23
You might check my "Favourites" page, there are some T1G FMs there (some have already been mentioned) :) One of the best is Lorgan's Web!

clayman
18th Jul 2002, 22:06
We all know size does not matter, RiCh. :p

I would add The Shadow of Lord Rothchest, Lord Edmund Entertains, The Mages Area, and Events at Highrock to the list of ones not be missed. :)

frobber
19th Jul 2002, 03:24
Originally posted by RiCh
I may play the largest first (zip size) I doubt the smaller FMs are nothing more than demos or very small FMs. I’m sure the larger sized files will Generally be of a better quality than the smaller ones.

What makes FMs large are thing like custom audio and movies. Custom AI, textures, and complex programming take up very little extra space, so even some of the smaller FMs can be fairly unique and very well-done.

I'd filter a little bit by the rating numbers, and if there is a review, then I'd recommend at least skimming it for an idea if this is what you're in the mood to play.

As Vanguard points out, your odds of find something good to play are pretty high.

Muzman
19th Jul 2002, 15:10
Indeed! Even new graphics don't take up much space. Missions compress very well too. It's only new sounds and movies that take up the most space and that extra space isn't necessarily well spent (there's me criticising the trouble people go to again. I'll be run out of town on a rail :D )

RiCh
19th Jul 2002, 15:31
Originally posted by clayman
We all know size does not matter, RiCh. :p

Agreed, but just try telling that to my EX ;) But my way of thinking is that I’d rather play ‘Order of the Vine’ or ‘Calendra's Cistern’ than something like ‘TheDrop’ (no offence to the author). All I’ll say is that there’s a huge difference in the quality of some FMs, and I’d rather play the best of them first. Don’t get me wrong though, one of my favourite FMs is Equilibrium, I’ve probably played that a dozen times because it IS small and compact. Very good for a quick blast now and again.

clayman
19th Jul 2002, 15:42
Agreed, you must have some filtering or you'll be playing forever. Komag's review ratings is as good a way as any. I have been replaying all FMs chronologically, for about 4 months now, and I'm only up to "Careless Hand", only mid 2000 ! Even more of a setback is that since I've been replaying, there have been over 30 new FMs released. SO my net gain is only about 35 missions. Granted, I only play an hour or so a night average, but at this pace it'll be 2004 before I finish. Just in time for Thief 3. :)

I considered skimming them and just playing a bit of each one, but I end up immersed in trying to get all the loot in everything. I started this to begin a commentary series on each FM and regenerate interest in the old FMs to tide us all over a bit, but the old forum going away kind of took the wind from my commentary sails. ;) :)

I agree with Vanguard that the quality level is surprisingly good, very few bad apples. :)

frobber
19th Jul 2002, 15:58
Originally posted by Muzman
and that extra space isn't necessarily well spent (there's me criticising the trouble people go to again. I'll be run out of town on a rail :D )

I'm one of the "bigger offenders" having released the second largest FM so far (46Mb). About 1/2 is custom audio, most of which are the town clock chimes, but also conversation rants and ambients and one very long in-game briefing dialogue. It just adds up, I guess.

Movies are a problem -- even the shortest ones worth making can be many megabytes, and most rarely add a whole lot to the overall experience compared to the space they take up in the FM zip file.

I just cringed when I heard that people spent three hours on a dialup downloading my mission - and three days for the largest FM currently out there. It's a tough balancing act -- and most designers know that oversized FMs may not get played as widely as smaller ones.