PDA

View Full Version : Disco

Cazza
18th Jul 2002, 07:12
My first post..........here goes

As i was moving the mouse around i noticed there is a bar that can be adjusted

presumably this would be volume but does anyone know if it has an effect on anything

also in the StarTopia Post gameplay faq it mentions you can wage war through espionage or dirty tricks like infesting cargo and trading it with the enemy. How do you do this?

Pinky the Cow
18th Jul 2002, 11:03
Disco Volume control - The higher it is - the more people attend the disco. The lower it is - the higher the tips (additional energy) given by peeps.

And welcome to Sector Rubicon Valley, newcomer.

NZrevenge
18th Jul 2002, 13:17
So the +17e underneath the price is actually given to you? I always thought is was money that I could've made but missed out on (so I put the prices up!).

Originally posted by Pinky the Cow
And welcome to Sector Rubicon Valley, newcomer.
No no no, don't you mean Sector Silicon Chip? No that's not right, it's supposed to be Sector Neon-Coloured Rainbow Lighting! Nope... That didn't quite sound right either... Welcome to MacDonalds, may I take your order? Nope, that's been done... Welcome to the third place. That's been done too hasn't it? :(

Oh bugger it, I give up...

Well, welcome to where-ever the hell we are, Cazza

Ghyron
18th Jul 2002, 14:24
*A crowd of unseen people shout:*

Sector Zeta-Plural MkII!

SkrasherSmasher
20th Jul 2002, 01:27
<After the group finishes their sentance...>

MKII .4, what?? No, I wasn't making fun of the name. I really didn't know what that slider bar did either, how did you figure that one out, something deep within the disco source code??

Sephiroth110
21st Jul 2002, 23:58
i havn't looked in the code myself, but at the old forumwhen the question was asked, i heard that when you turn it up, it will attract more peeps, but could also hurt their ears, (well, now it sounds pretty stupid) and send them to the sick bay, but hey, who knows how sensetive a karmarama's ears are, all mellow, maybe they don't get exposed to loud sounds enough, but back to the point, more volume means more dancers, but could also mean some exploded heads (that sounds a little less.... pathetic than hurt ears) but i'm only saying what i head a few months back. hope it helps. ooo, maybe cause their heads hurt they don't tip as high, hmm, could be
*walks off in thought with loud music blaring into his earphones*

Pinky the Cow
22nd Jul 2002, 05:35
Originally posted by Sephiroth110
... who knows how sensetive a karmarama's ears are, all mellow, maybe they don't get exposed to loud sounds enough...or maybe they do
VAL
I keep forgetting, you can't hear ultrasound. Pity. You miss out on so much good Karmarama music.

Sephiroth110
22nd Jul 2002, 11:40
wow, i was, i don't think i've ever heard that, or at least i had forgotten, was that on the karamarama level, or just a random comment on sand box or something else?

AlphaOmega
22nd Jul 2002, 15:04
also in the StarTopia Post gameplay faq it mentions you can wage war through espionage or dirty tricks like infesting cargo and trading it with the enemy. How do you do this?
Thats a big fat lie. Where on the Post exactly does it say that? I'm going to go have a word with that sites webmaster... *Shakes Fist*

BTW folks, I survived my plague, (clearly) and am now fit to once again ready to rip spam limb from limb. Fear me... :)

Meddling Grey
22nd Jul 2002, 18:50
Depending on the volume of the disco, it also attracts different peeps. At max volume, Gors will thoroughly enjoy themselves (erm, I think) while Turakkens or Karmas or whatever will stay as far away as possible. Generally setting at about the middle is best, if you only have one disco. Then again, if you have a lot of them all over the place, specialize! Put loud discos next to rough bars and other favourite Gor attractions, and quieter discos next to computer shops and all those other buildings for pathetic weaklings.

Eh? I sound biased? In what way? :D

EDIT: Almost forgot, I once spread a rumour that Solar Flares reset the discos' volume controls. I'm not sure if it's true (sometimes they reset, but only when I'm not watching them...) but I intend to keep the rumour alive nonetheless.

SkrasherSmasher
22nd Jul 2002, 19:39
For some reason mine reset when I load the game. I go and they are all set all the way over to the left, no matter where they were before.

Bomber777
23rd Jul 2002, 02:45
I'm posting about the part where it says that you can wage war by trading infested cargo or dirty tricks. How do you do that? It says on the startopia post Our FAq section under How to resolve/wage war or something like that under the gameplay section. Doesn't get into detail though.

Sephiroth110
23rd Jul 2002, 11:40
i'd say the dirty tricks part could be hiring spies from the guild of assions, or demolitions, thats pretty dirty, but i didn't think you could trade bad cargo. to hire the spies, you have to declare war agains another player, sometime while you are at war (not always) they will offer their services, for a price. you mustbe hostile, so in the last missing, start out hostile twords taht guy all the way on the other side of the station (what can he do to you?)

Arctic_Wolf
23rd Jul 2002, 17:58
I have just come back from the game with my finding to this question.

When I had the volume set to the far left I got no tips. When I set it into the middle I got, tips around +E10. And set at the far right the tips I got were around +E20. I didn't notice any change in the amount of peeps coming in though.

DoctorX
24th Jul 2002, 11:17
That'd make sense: whats a Disco without loud music?
And while we're on the subject of weird menu items, here's another: what on earth does the slider bar found in the Star Motel, Space Inn and Palace Galactica menus do???? I've turned it up, down, middle, and all sorts of positions...and I still don't know what it does!

Sephiroth110
24th Jul 2002, 11:27
wait, what? there is a slider bar on those? no there can't be, there is? well, thats some new news for me, god, how could i miss it all this time