PDA

View Full Version : Thief 2 Video Problems

EricM774
17th Jul 2002, 21:21
Let me introduce myself, my username is EricM774, I am a big fan of the Thief Series and am looking forward to Thief 3. I am also a big fan of Deus Ex, but that's another story. Anyway, I have a Voodoo3 3000 AGP, running on an Intel Celeron 533 Mhz, Windows XP, 192MB RAM. When the movies in Thief 2, are played, I get slow, and choppy frames. Not Thief 1/Gold, because of the lower resolution, but on Thief 2, I have a lot of video problems, in many spots, especially, Level 2- Shipping and Receiving, at the dock, when I reach the door for the dock from the warehouse, my frame rate crashes like pushing a boulder off a cliff, my graphics get very slow and choppy. I am thinking of upgrading my video card for the best performance possible, now the question is, what video card should I get? If any of you have any suggetions, would you please reply to this topic.

P.S.:I have Thief 2 graphics problems, Thief 1/GOLD are perfect. Sound is a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum 5.1, so no problems there. Again, I thank those who replied and say Hi to everyone!

Thorin Oakenshield
17th Jul 2002, 22:13
Welcome ;)

If I had your system spec's then I'd opt for a GForce 2. You could get a GF3 but I think your pc wouldn't be able to make it show it's full potential. And Defrag my 'puter too.

At the moment I have a 1Ghz Athlon Tbird, GF 2mx, 380M ram.
I'm going to upgrade in a month or two to an Athlon 2000+, GF 4 Ti4600/4400 (depending on cash flow :rolleyes: )

Peter_Smith
18th Jul 2002, 01:01
Welcome, Eric.:) I agree with Thorin. A GeForce 2 is good. But I advise to look for a Geforce 2 Ti - much faster than the MX versions, and only about $20 more at Newegg.com

Thorin Oakenshield
18th Jul 2002, 18:28
I forgot all about that one Peter:D

Eric, Let us know if you solve your problem. A good defrag can do wonders.

EricM774
18th Jul 2002, 22:02
Thank you for the suggestions, but I'm thinking along the lines of a GeForce4 4600 Ti, that sort of high-end thing. Any suggestions?

Thorin Oakenshield
18th Jul 2002, 22:11
If you get that card at least you would be set for when you upgrade your pc (cpu, mother board and 256M (minimum)ddr memory). Your current system spec wouldn't let it show it's true potential. Like having a V8 engine in your car only firing on 4 cylinders :rolleyes:

Don't let me put you off though. It is an excellent card according to a couple of taffers that own one. But consider upgrading the rest too;)

EricM774
22nd Jul 2002, 23:05
You taffers! Of course I'm upgrading my computer, if I didn't, well, lets just say my computer would be full or crap and old stuff that people will start telling, "You still have that old piece of Junk!". However I have a question, to all of you with the best video cards and fastest computers who have Thief 2, do you have problems with cutscenes or certain parts of some levels?

theBlackman
22nd Jul 2002, 23:40
AMD XP1800
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 128Mg
Win 98SE
256 M RAM
No problems with any THIEF.

My old K6 and K7 AMD (500/950) also had no problem. Both ran a ATI AIW 16 meg.

I ran these with 128 M RAM. But set your vcache and Virtual MEM to give you optimal performance.

Check with www.pcpitstop for Vcache info recommendations for your specific system, and check the Tidbits for ... Thread http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=667

For other tweaks.