PDA

View Full Version : Tombraider Custom Levels Awards Contest.

Data
17th Jul 2002, 16:16
The Tomb Raider Level Editor Forum Custom Level Awards

It has been almost two years since the Tomb Raider Level Editor become available and the world of would-be level creators has grown. The exact amount of custom levels is unknown, however it is well over 600 and growing day by day.

To commemorate all the hard work from the many custom level creators, the Level Editor Forum Moderators have decided that it is about time that the 'very best' of level creators were rewarded for their time and effort.

The Format for these awards will be conducted via a voting system of 100 pre-determined levels that will be produced from the top 100 levels as reviewed at Michael Pragers review site.

There will be five categories, three of which will be types of levels, and the other two; 'Ancillary items'(wads, objects, textures and Lara croft costume design etc.) and 'Third party Tools' respectively.

Prizes will be awarded for the five 1st placed of each category and five runners up prizes for second placed of each category. They will consist of a copy of 'Tomb Raider - The Angel of Darkness' game (very kindly donated by Core Design) and 5 runners up shall receive 'Surprise mystery gifts' (very kindly donated by Eidos).

Full details on the complete format, rules and voting will commence from the 1st Agust 2002.

Thank you
TRLE MODERATORS. :)

LeeO
17th Jul 2002, 19:25
Cool! Pity I have no chance of winning... lol

Blu_online
17th Jul 2002, 21:56
Good, great idea :D :D :D !!!

:rolleyes: ehmm... I have just a question (simple curiosity :) ): why

"... 100 pre-determined levels that will be produced from the top 100 levels as reviewed at Michael Pragers review site... " ???!!

only this levels ? .. only the levels produced from the top of Michael Prager review site? ..

eTux
17th Jul 2002, 22:16
If you have any alternatives, then suggest them :)

Or are you just not happy because it's only from one site?...

edit - Oh, I think I understand your qustion now - it's not that somebody creates a level with purpose for that site. Most of the levels released are listed there, so it's no real problem :)

Data
18th Jul 2002, 17:40
As stated in the first post: Full details on the complete format, rules and voting will commence from the 1st Agust 2002.

As for the 100 top levels at Michaels site, I chose his top 100 because I am familiar with the way his reviews work and so I trust the judgement of his reviewers.
However, If you feel there are some levels missing from the top 100, you can always do as I did and contact Core Design and Eidos for prizes and run your own awards. I hope you understand.

Thank you
Data.

TRWad
18th Jul 2002, 20:16
How about the outfits or objects. Is there a selection of them too (like the top 100), do the creators have to sign up them or are they all in the competition?

Data
18th Jul 2002, 22:04
Originally posted by TRWad
How about the outfits or objects. Is there a selection of them too (like the top 100), do the creators have to sign up them or are they all in the competition?

.......There will be five categories, three of which will be types of levels, and the other two; 'Ancillary items'(wads, objects, textures and Lara croft costume design etc.) and 'Third party Tools' respectively.

As you can see, these have been added to the categories, however there will not be a top 100 of 'Ancillary items' as this has been taken care of by way of this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?threadid=792
voter can either choose from this thread or from elsewhere.

Third party tools creators, like yourself, are well known to the TRLE community and so votes for this category will reflect this. I hope this is clear.

Data
18th Jul 2002, 22:06
Originally posted by Dendroaspis Raider
oh,cool,but couldn't it be a bit later? because I have 7 level and none of them is in top 100,the next project to be realesed isn't ready yet and also need time to get into top 100 :D ;)
but a custome-objects award would also be cool

I am sorry, this cannot be done. If you can imagine there would always be someone else who needed the extra time, and so the awards would never start. I hope you understand.

G Croft
19th Jul 2002, 15:11
Hi everyone!
Haven´t been here for a while, and not since the new forum came up.

I´m a reviewer at M Prager´s and I just wanted to add, that if YOUR level isn´t there, just e-mail Michael or post at his site and he will add it.
Then you can be sure that we will play and review it!! (just don´t wait to long ;) )

WELCOME ! :)

TRWad
19th Jul 2002, 20:41
When will the voting start? I know more info comes at the 1st of Agust, but the 1st price (aod) will be finished in november! So that takes some time. Cause if the voting will start on the 1st I have to hurry on the animation editor.

Data
19th Jul 2002, 21:20
Originally posted by TRWad
When will the voting start? I know more info comes at the 1st of Agust, but the 1st price (aod) will be finished in november! So that takes some time. Cause if the voting will start on the 1st I have to hurry on the animation editor.

Full details on the complete format, rules and voting will commence from the 1st Agust 2002. The answer to your question; Yes.

moose562
19th Jul 2002, 22:29
finally this is going ahead - i was wondering for ages when this would be sorted out!

so there is going to be an outfits categorie? woohoo! i might stand a very slim chance of getting something!

<sigh>

DKSM
20th Jul 2002, 01:10
I doubt I got a chance to win.....It will probably be the people with the cowboy hats and stuff that are so good at editing and adding meshes.....I wish I could get AOD for free...

LarzBritsh
20th Jul 2002, 01:21
I have no chance of winning anythihg. My outfits are not good as Moose562's or Litepulsar's.

Good luck to them.

Chronicles5
20th Jul 2002, 01:42
what? your outfits are great! you put alot of time and effort into them, they are great! dont put yourself down...:( Too bad my levels won't be released too soon, they wont have time to get to the top 100, (though im not sure if they will anyway) my levels are okay, but they dont compare to most :D

G Croft
20th Jul 2002, 07:52
To get into the top 100 list, you only need 5 reviews. And that don´t have to take a long time, so go for it ! :)

Check the rules here.
http://www.mprager.de/HighscoreTop50.htm

Data
20th Jul 2002, 09:51
Everyone has something to gain in these awards, if you do not win anything, all TRLE custom level creators or tool/ wad creators will start to get more regognition. If this event works out, who knows, there may be more, so get creating; everybody!!

TRWad
20th Jul 2002, 17:00
LarzBritsh, I checked my outfit list and your wetsuit outfit is on the 1st place with 8 people who rated it.

psiko
20th Jul 2002, 17:56
Originally posted by G Croft:
I´m a reviewer at M Prager´s and I just wanted to add, that if YOUR level isn´t there, just e-mail Michael or post at his site and he will add it.

Originally posted by DATA:
The Format for these awards will be conducted via a voting system of 100 pre-determined levels that will be produced from the top 100 levels as reviewed at Michael Pragers review site.

I don't understand WHY being at that site should be "a must" to be considered by a Core Design award, and if you are NOT there, you must apply there to join the contest.. Sorry, am I missing something?...

while I think that there are good persons everywhere, so we could find good reviewers at that site, I won't consider as "good reviewers" (yes IT IS MY OPINION) persons like:

Silent Viper (he gave 3/10 to my COTW)
Dddv (he gave 4/10 to my COTW)
Raider Girl (she gave 5/10 to my COTW)
Android (gave 5/10 to my TEP)

Surely those persons were RIGHT because they were expressing their opinions... but sorry.. those were AVERAGES, this means they were considering all the custom (made by me...) textures, objects, audios, outfit, etc, etc.. then the cutscene of the COTW deserve 5/10?.. sorry but if only those reviewers decided my position there in that highscore I think I have to learn from other 4x10/10 levels rated there (I am referring to "Strange World" by Palopique and some others) LOL
Anyhow this is the reason why I am not there and I am not that "friend for them" LOL

I am considering that I am a poor child (lol) and I am not able to accept criticisms (this is not my guilty.. I had an hard chilhood LOL :D), but I thought that those reviews were ENOUGH for me to go away from that highscore of "full of light" reviews and those "illuminated" reviewers who are able to give 4x10/10 to levels like "Strange World" by Palopique, which I consider among the first 10 worst levels of EVER.
I will name few words from dddv's review to my COTW who said (really constructively) "don't download this cotw -55MB sized file- for you won't have the fun you will think, this is not worthy of the huge time to download it" or something like that :) But I could write "something like this" for every review I called up above...

So, let me add just this few posted words now to "doubt" a little bit about this:

Originally posted by DATA:
I chose his top 100 because I am familiar with the way his reviews work and so I trust the judgement of his reviewers.

So, sorry, but "why" we should apply there?... :o Then the "best levels" must be chosen NOW and an already rated list is not what I call "not prejudice-able" LOL

Sorry if this sounds nasty, I am not! believe me :) I am simply asking for esplanations, most of all because I am not going to put again my levels on that site, and I won't change "my opinion". ;) There is only one chance of more since october, but until then, I will have to do without that "promotions highscore glass" :)

Treeble
20th Jul 2002, 18:15
Let me see, psiko.
You simply don't accept to lose few points. Even a lot of 9/10 and 10/10 weren't enough for you, right?
Well, I made seven levels. I don't consider them good, but I think they're quite enjoyable, and I NEVER won a rating over than a 7.5/10.

Hmmm, so I better ask them to remove my levels from there!!!
NO. I simply didn't do it, and will not do it never. That site is the best in ratings.

And why to attack Palo/UFO's Strange World level??? Did they do anything to you? Only because people consider their level BETTER than yours?? Haha, stop it now psiko, before I get angry again.

Thanks.

psiko
20th Jul 2002, 18:24
>Let me see, psiko.
You simply don't accept to lose few points.

Have I said this?...

>Hmmm, so I better ask them to remove my levels from there!!!

If you like...

>NO. I simply didn't do it, and will not do it never. That site is the best in ratings.

That is your opinion, mine is not.. I am not there.. and sorry what is your problem?...

>And why to attack Palo/UFO's Strange World level???

Did I attack it? I said that I won't consider that as the best level among more than 600, like that "best reviews site" is considering that... again what is your problem?

>Did they do anything to you?

Yes...

>Only because people consider their level BETTER than yours??

No, sorry not people, just those reviewers :)

>Haha, stop it now psiko, before I get angry again.

Pardon?...

>Thanks.

Not at all, always wellcome :)

LarzBritsh
20th Jul 2002, 18:27
There is no other choice in the matter.

Mprager's is the only up-to-date level review site. Where else would we go?

TRWad
20th Jul 2002, 18:35
You can ask the reviewers why they rated it so low and improve it! Then you will get a higher rating and get in the top 100 and win!

psiko
20th Jul 2002, 18:36
Originally posted by LarzBritsh
There is no other choice in the matter.

Mprager's is the only up-to-date level review site. Where else would we go?

ehehehe LOL.. I am not there..
and since then I wonder around in circle like a dog searching for love LOL :D

ehehehe well, I don't think we have a different choice, I agree with you :)
But simply don't have those "sure believes" like someone :D and doubt, sometimes.. Then as I am not there I simply said: "I am not there for this reason, please give me explanation on how to do to join the contest".

If I even cannot join, I will know really soon (well, right now) that I have to buy my TRAOD copy like every bad level builder for that site :D

eTux
20th Jul 2002, 19:20
Psiko, I still don't understand why did you ask to remove your levels from there (even after reading those looooooooong posts of yours :( lol) and I still hope you'll change your mind and I and many other fans of your levels will see JTS + the improved COTW or maybe the whole Techno egyptian series there.

Your levels were something comepletely new and I hope you were not seriously thinking that everyone will like them, cause not everyone wants to except and see something new, therefore the low ratings.

Getting ratings below 6 for such masterpieces of LE as your own is dissapointing, but if that's the reason to remove levels from a listing I don't think the ratings with a lot of 10's did mean anything to you too. I think the comments are that matter, and if the reviewer can explain in his comments why did s/he give such a score and can defend his/her review you'd have a lot of materials to learn from, not to get insulted....

Data
20th Jul 2002, 21:07
Psiko, I am sorry you feel the way you do, however My initial idea for the awards was not to seperate level builders into categories, but to give them recognition.
If you do not like the format of the awards, the fact that I chose Michael Pragers review site for the 100 nominees and the fact that through your own choice you may not now take part in the awards, I can only offer you condolances.
However you do still have the choice to return your levels back into the fold.

These awards are for everyone, and as I have said, I believe they will bring recognition to all level builders. So please in future let us discuss such things through private messaging or email, and not post them here.

Thank you
Data.

psiko
20th Jul 2002, 21:47
Thanks for condolance, but actually I just asked only if there was a way to join without the condition to join even to that highscore.

Next time I will ask a permission for make a question.. can you direct me to the right person I should have done a question like that?
If there is not that chance, it is not a great difference for me. I am not the one who started the discussion if you read actually. You said you trust in that highscore, I said "I do not and why not", then asked. That's all :)

@eTux, going to answer to you by email :)
(in the middle I start serving an half of euro everyday since tomorrow for my traod copy) LOL

moose562
20th Jul 2002, 21:51
i totally agree with data

the contest is to bring us closer together, to appreciate each others hard work and dedication to our community! not to pull us apart...who cares if you don't win anything? at least you know you had the pleasure of building the levels and playing them, and knowing others appreciate your work. to be honest, i wouldn't loose sleep if somebody disliked my outfits, instead i would ask how i could improve them instead of dwelling on pointless worry and regret, nd not moving on. i know that when i made my outfits i got something out of it and that is all that really matters in the end - the glory and the praise is nothing in compariosn to those feelings now is it?

i would encourage anybody who thinks they are "not up to scracth" for choice of a better phrase, to submit something they have created. afterall, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Data
20th Jul 2002, 22:01
Psiko, If you would like to discuss this further, send me a private message. :)

Moose, thank you for your words of encouragement. :)

psiko
20th Jul 2002, 22:01
good words, moose. :)
Exactly because I would like to join I asked that permission even if I won't post my levels at prager's.
I don't think it is right to esclude me just because I am not there, but data's decision is taken and I already took my condolance from her :) (and accepted) LOL :)

moose562
20th Jul 2002, 22:53
thanks guys < blushes >

data, i just thought of something to ask - it might be covered in the rules so you won't have to answer it, i can wait ;)

but is this contest open to those who have been removed from these forums? i am guessing the obvious is "no".

Jadetale
21st Jul 2002, 01:02
LOL, I doubt they will be allowed. BTW, I love your Lara outfits, Moose. In fact I'm using one of the Young Lara ones, the black one with the white shirt (the one you said was one of your personal favorites, just so you don't confuse it with the gothic one :D) in a series of levels I'm making, titled "Mysteries of Egypt".

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE LEVEL BUILDERS OUT THERE!!

Just want to send my well-wishing.

Data
21st Jul 2002, 07:42
Originally posted by moose562
........ is this contest open to those who have been removed from these forums?.....

If they have a level in the top 100 when it arrives to me, the only important factor here is that others have enjoyed their level and so they should stay in the list, However, as far as the voting is concerned; banned members will not be eligible.

psiko
21st Jul 2002, 10:10
Please use Private messaging as I suggest, this is not the place to discuss these things. ;)

psiko
21st Jul 2002, 12:35
[edit: you've been asked nicely twice already. don't push it]

moose562
21st Jul 2002, 14:48
Originally posted by Jadetale
LOL, I doubt they will be allowed. BTW, I love your Lara outfits, Moose. In fact I'm using one of the Young Lara ones, the black one with the white shirt (the one you said was one of your personal favorites, just so you don't confuse it with the gothic one :D) in a series of levels I'm making, titled "Mysteries of Egypt".

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE LEVEL BUILDERS OUT THERE!!

Just want to send my well-wishing.

Hey Jadetale, thanks so much! That is very kind! I know the outfit you mean! I do love that one, its a lot like my amazon adventure one for "old" lara ;) you might like that one too when i get it online! :)

psiko
21st Jul 2002, 16:00
[edit: check your PM!]

Blu_online
21st Jul 2002, 17:58
Hi..

Sorry, I don't understand, I thought this forum was very different, a free and quiet forum, I don't understand why it is not possible to express one 'opinion', only because it is not 'your' opinion..

You erased three posts from Dendroaspis and another (moose?) .. I see this.. they simply suggested another site where to find TR-custom levels online and direct links to download.. and at the end you edited psiko's post (mmm.. why at this point not erasing his post too?.. you search maybe one scapegoat?.. nc)

It seems that you are afraid of something, but what's wrong? That people have a different opinion than yours? That someone modifies your "plans" already predefined?

I know it is 'your' award, ok.. you said this previously (answering my question):

Originally posted by Data
However, If you feel there are some levels missing from the top 100, you can always do as I did and contact Core Design and Eidos for prizes and run your own awards. I hope you understand. Thank you
Data.

Mine was just a question, a simple question like the suggestion of Dendroaspis (or of "xxx") :). I don't want to run another award :p . Simply I asked if the levels in list for this Core Design Contest are "only" the ones in the top 100 Prager's site, because some levels are missing from this list, and I don't think it is right to force level designers to post their levels at Prager's site only to be included into this competition!

There are surely other solutions, for exemple opening one list of inscriptions for level designers like the categories of tools creators (wads, objects, textures and Lara croft outfits, costum design etc.) like in this thread:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=792 )

mmm.. are you the only organizer of the award? If it is so, well, I think my words are useless, because you already decided .. but..

However.. I think psiko simply expressed his opinion and explained his reasons, so all the members here of this forum could see them.

I don't see ANYTHING wrong... in his reasons.. and nothing that must be held secret into private emails.. like the post of Dendroaspis and "xxx" (I don't remember who.. maybe moose or.. ???)

you said besides:

Originally posted by Data
Full details on the complete format, rules and voting will commence from the 1st Agust

This award is a great initiative, so it is so natural for everybody to ask all the questions they want to know something about that .. until 1st august I think it is possible to express "our" doubts and suggestions too, exactly to understand and solve all the problems which could be present...

Erasing or editing so normal posts like the ones I had time to read is not a sign of civilization and democrazy. I saw all the posts erased and edited and they are all 'on topic' and 'peaceful'..

I ask.. and I need explanation.. Please HERE without deleting anything. :)

Driber
21st Jul 2002, 18:30
Blu, you seem to be new to the forum mechanics, so let me explain you a few things....

I understand your concern for free speach
however, the posts you are referring to were not deleted to keep other opinions out, it was done for different reasons that are not related to these awards.
the problem is, you guys get frustrated so easily when a post is edited or deleted and start thinking we have something to hide
well, nothing could be further from the truth
we simply don't get into discussions that will derail the thread off it's original topic

I don't get into discussion on the forum with others why I edit or delete a certain post. Never have, never will.

If you wish to know why a post was edited or deleted, you are free to PM the moderator who performed this action. But asking about this on the forum will help you one bit.

psiko
21st Jul 2002, 19:48
I asked a permission to join the contest without being forced to join M.Prager's site and I received educate "condolances" and I replied really quiet.

I suggested a different site with a level list and my messages were edited. Can I have a reason HERE why my posts were OFF topic? I was discussing about a "Core Design Contest" if you like and I "HAD" the desire to join without joining Prager's site.

In a message which was deleted I said really peasefully that I think THIS forum can decide the members who are INTO the TR comunity for joining a CORE DESIGN CONTEST, not M.Prager's site and I explained my reasons. I am ON TOPIC.

Is this the Core Design Contest topic? I received the deny to join this contest because I don't join M.Prager's site (and I won't join that site for this contest here like it was suggested by the MODERATOR DATA).

PS: I am happy now that you are available here Driber, anyhow, because it seems that DATA neither read what I wrote.

Data
21st Jul 2002, 21:54
I read and understood your posts Psiko, and I will say again, I am quite happy to discuss this through private messaging. If you do not wish to do it that way, I am sorry but you will end up with edited posts, as this discussion is contrary to the original topic. ;)

I will await a private message.

Thank you
Data.

moose562
21st Jul 2002, 22:19
I am a little confused now...I was not aware of anything I posted being editted or deleted?

Blu, I think you are mistaking me for somebody else :)

Staticon
21st Jul 2002, 22:46
It has generally been my experience that the organisers decision is final. Having made a point, it should be left at that. Further persistance only makes it seem like you desire a public, verbal battle.
Some of my levels received reviews which I could have found disappointing had I not been mature enough to understand that not all people like the same things.
It is your right to not have your levels on Michael Prager´s site but, like it or not, this is the site chosen as a top 100 guide.
Data has put a lot of effort into organising this contest and Data's choice, as far as I am concerned, is final. If I wasn't happy with all her efforts, I could always organise my own contest. Frankly, I am happy to let someone else do it.

BTW - My best level comes in at 227 so I don't get a look in anyway. Do you hear me complaining. :D

Chronicles5
22nd Jul 2002, 02:45
Okay everyone, I need to ask a pretty simple question: How fast can I get a level in to www.mprager.de? I want to submit all of my finished levels this week, and one is ready to be sent in. Is there a way to submit directly to Micheal's site, because normally I send it in to www.tombraiderchronicles.com and it takes a while to get to mprager's site. This relates to the topic because I want my levels to get sent in and rated before the voting etc. starts. Am I too late? Thank You :)

-Chronicles5

Also, if my levels are too late to be submitted, GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE!!

psiko
22nd Jul 2002, 06:52
I have to post here because a PM cannot be longer than 1500 typed letters and this is more than 3000 I think.

Anyhow it is here just because is STILL ON TOPIC.

It is possible to receive email notifications when something is posted at this forum and I received some notifications but "not existing" posts were there when I came back here.

I had the time to read some of them and they were suggersting a new site, alternative to M.Prager's one. Probably, like Driber said, they were from banned people, but then I don't understand WHY my posts were edited (this means left there but edited) and ALL the others posts simply DELETED so nobody could know anything.

They could be deleted too, right?

Anyhow I think that if I have to BEG to join a Core Design Contest and I receive two alternatives ("condolances" or join M.Prager's site after I explained really DETAILEDLY WHY I won't join there, so I should have to join forcely) I think that there is "something wrong", but I understand that you could think this is just my little point of view.

I "bet" that we will see a lot of changing next month at Prager's highscore, and this is only a "bet", so I am not sure of this, but many people will try to be "inside the first 100" like many persons are already trying to do (and already said here, what a strange case of the destiny).

Nothing wrong being there and asking being there to be in time for the competition, but ALL WRONG FORCING PEOPLE TO BE THERE TO JOIN, most of all because it is a CORE DESIGN CONTEST, and most of all after I exaplined WHY I won't join there, receiving "condolances". So, don't call it "Core Design contest" (which in theory should consider all the TRLE builders or at least the MEMBERS OF THE OFFICIAL SITE who build custom levels), just call it "M.Prager's site promotion".

Is this is not a HUGE difference? surely I wouldn't ask to join if I knew it was "simply, only and just" a new M.Prager's contest (and not Core Design's, like you called it), exactly because I don't want to have nothing to do with that site (and explained detailedly).

So, happy M.Prager's Contest (probably supported by few gifts from Core Design) and have fun.
If that is still a "Core Design" contest, then I am a TRLE builder and I did buy an original copy of tr-chronicles too, I am a member of this forum since years and I am a TR-fan since years, actually since the beginning.

So, while I would like to "JOIN" (who talked to be the number one like someone is still thinking when referring their position at that highscore?) a Core Design Contest, I DON'T want to join forcely at M.Prager's site.

For me it is forcely (and not right), for some other it could be just "a matter of time" or simply a "normal thing" or a "boring procedure". What it is sure is that I won't join there, and, as I said in one of my edited post you completely deleted without any kind of respect when I was on topic and quiet and calm like I am now (:)), this means that THAT site decides who belongs to the TR-comunity for the Core Design (or simply the Core Design Contest) or more simply just for you, more than THIS forum.

psiko
22nd Jul 2002, 08:22
I had a "great" idea to solve all (you'll now "why it is great") and I wrote you a PM to you, DATA :D I hope you like it :D

@Staticon: sorry, but you should complain at least that 60 or 100 persons in a site decide a world chart and the permission for you to join a Core Design Contest :) :)

eTux
22nd Jul 2002, 09:50
Originally posted by Chronicles5
Okay everyone, I need to ask a pretty simple question: How fast can I get a level in to www.mprager.de? I want to submit all of my finished levels this week, and one is ready to be sent in. Is there a way to submit directly to Micheal's site, because normally I send it in to www.tombraiderchronicles.com and it takes a while to get to mprager's site. This relates to the topic because I want my levels to get sent in and rated before the voting etc. starts. Am I too late? Thank You :)
[/B]

It's not too late. If you make a thread 'My new level released... bla bla bla' I think either Michael will find it himself or someone will tell him that your level is released and so on. TRC is not a rating sistem it just hosts levels, and as I said no-one makes a level with a purpose for mprager.de. If your level will get at least 5 reviews and will end up with the top 100 levels till the start of the august you're in the competition :)http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif
But I wouldn't get my hopes too high too, I think there wont be a lot of action around the end part of the top 100 or even top 50! I think popularity is what counts there, and even if my own level is pretty close to the top 50, I'm quite sure I could end up without a single vote.
But Data's right, this is more about recognition and you (and me and others) should not worry if we don't win :)
And I'm pretty curious what Psiko's idea is :)

Driber
22nd Jul 2002, 10:19
patience and composure will get you a long way, Psiko :)

Staticon
22nd Jul 2002, 12:32
Originally posted by psiko
Staticon: sorry, but you should complain at least that 60 or 100 persons in a site decide a world chart and the permission for you to join a Core Design Contest :) :)

Nah! no point in complaining. I take solace that, on my own site, my seven levels are in the top seven. :D

BTW. This is not a Core Design Contest. It has been wholly conceived, set up and organised by dear Data (Which has involved a LOT of work to make this happen at all.)

moose562
22nd Jul 2002, 19:19
why not use a 'top-site-list' like colin grigson's?

Data
22nd Jul 2002, 21:19
I would like to make one point clear. I have already drawn up the format for these awards, however, and I would like the thank all of those members for their ideas, I will be continuing in the original format. :)

A full rundown on the awards will be posted on the 1st August.

Thank you
Data.

MichaelP
23rd Jul 2002, 10:17
words, words, words, so many words...

Psiko, of course you want to join that contest because that could give you some well earned recognition about custom textures, custom objects etc etc in your levels, but I, for one, appreciate the fact that Data sticks to her rules here. In fact she would not have had to reveal where she got the 100 levels from as they will be listed here without reference to my site (so it is not an Mprager contest) and No, I do not expect any significant change and action happening in the coming two weeks - I am sure it will just move along as usual with an average 10-20 reviews coming in per day...

As you know, I respect your decision to not have your levels listed at my site (although it is not my view of things) - now be a man and deal with the consquences and stop the whining...YOU had it in your hands as TEP and COTW where in the Top100 (in the Top10 for that matter) and YOU decided you would not want them in there, so don't blame it on Data that you cannot join the contest.

(Apologies to the mods for the slightly Off Topic post - delete it if you wish...)

psiko
23rd Jul 2002, 12:14
originally posted by DATA
However, as far as the voting is concerned; banned members will not be eligible.

Official Tomb Raider Custom Levels Awards.

A contest should be free or don't call it "official" neither "Tomb Raider Custom levels"
That's all.

I am not doing this for I want recognition and this is too much stupid and it is lasting for too much and you have only this excuse to create for yourself a reason why I ask a FREE CONTEST.

I wonder how comes nobody is thinking that the 100 first positions of your highscore are owned by VERY LESS LD's than 100 exactly because MANY LD's there have more than ONE or TWO levels.

So, for so FEW persons you call it

Official Tomb Raider Custom Levels Awards.

???

"official" has a particular meaning for me :)

I really wonder how comes everyone accepted to join your site and not, like I suggested to create a RING for a SUBSCRUPTION FORM which is FREE for all LDs on ALL the main tr-sites of the world. This was my idea. Instead than to limit this to just ONE site and with ONLY 100 levels (but actually few LD's to join the contest) I suggested to ENLARGE the initiative to all TR-sites, either LevelDesigner's site who could host the subscription form to join as "the news of the day". This should be FREE.

And before you ask I DON'T have a webpage so I even cannot join the ring.
I don't like that IN THE BEGINNING all of us are NOT allowed to join, and actually BEFORE the beginning because that highscore does not give any kind of chance to "reply" if we want to join or not... an highscore, I remember, which is "filled" of those kind of "misunderstandings" to levels I said before. I said "misunderstanding" exactly because I think those are the ones "we" had.

If everyone accepted this, sorry, but where is the fun? we already know all, like all the members who will join... And nodoby will join "actively" (for example: compiling a form, asking to join the "texture and wad contest" instead than the best level, hosting the subscription form in their own sites...)...

sorry but as this is now, where is "the fun" in joining..?... Those few LD's will see their awards coming to them without doing anything (a part having built levels.. but WE ALL build levels, right?) and all of us will even probably lost the topic with the election of the winners...

So, I subscribe to create a "ring" of subscriptions for all the TR-world comunity and sites which is too much larger than "60 reviewers" and "70 or 80 LDs" :)

And if DATA is available, we can discuss this "idea" really detailedly :)

MichaelP
23rd Jul 2002, 14:15
"Those few LD's will see their awards coming to them without doing anything (a part having built levels.. but WE ALL build levels, right?) and all of us will even probably lost the topic with the election of the winners... "

Well, that's the point - we ALL build levels and those 100 levels that enter this contest are allegedly those that received quite a bit of appreciation from the players and I would expect that the outcome of the contest will lead to winners who most certainly earned their prize (and certainly not "without doing anything") and as with every contest there will be runners up who should really also have gotten a prize but did not quite make it this time around.

If you believe that this is not going to be the case (as it seems you do) why don't you start - just for the fun of it - a separate round of voting and ask people to vote for those NOT listed in those 100 and we'll see what happens? :rolleyes: Or is that what your idea was? I didn't really understand it at all, to be honest...

Data
23rd Jul 2002, 16:00
This thread has served its original purpose, however it would appear that its use is now being clouded, so I have decided to close it. ;)

Thank you
Data.

Grey Mouser
25th Jul 2002, 17:23
Originally posted by MichaelP

...but I, for one, appreciate the fact that Data sticks to her rules here.

And so do we! Thank you again Data, for your thoughtful and welcome presence as Moderator on these forums.

GM