PDA

View Full Version : Post Counts

Grey Mouser
16th Jul 2002, 21:38
We have decided to disable the listing of member post counts in the "Author" section of threads...the column on the left that says who posted what.

It is my goal to reduce the amount of time I and other moderators must spend warning/banning and re-banning the people who mis-guidedly believe that "LOL!!" and "{{{HUgZZ}}}" contstitute interesting, intelligent discourse.

Note that although in general the Thief forums membership does not in our estimation abuse the ability to post, other less...evolved...members are abusing our relatively lenient enforcement of the anti-spam section of the Terms of Use. As we do not wish to become strictly an anti-spam patrol, which we would be inclined to become if we did not have better things to do than baby sit for immaturity, we feel that removing part of the incentive to post every bit of fluff that drifts through some members' heads is a viable alternative.

Post counts still count towards a total tied to user/member profiles so that Junior Members become Members at 31 posts and so on.

Please feel free to comment positively or negatively as you feel fit. I am always willing to listen, and sometimes willing to change my mind, although probably not on this subject. Registration date in my estimation will give a similar, more accurate indication of forum "status" if deemed important.

(sits down at the table - calls the barkeep for some honey mead)

Thorin Oakenshield
16th Jul 2002, 21:43
You must have posted this after my post about the PC's:)
I just noticed that they had gone:eek: Oh well I'm off to delete the thread now then before I get accused of spamming AGAIN!:o

ChowYunFat
16th Jul 2002, 21:57
My opinion is:

{{{HUgZZ}}}

Seriously, I'll miss the post counts, but this is probably a good idea.

stikboy
16th Jul 2002, 21:58
Originally posted by Grey Mouser
...mis-guidedly believe that "LOL!!"... contstitute interesting, intelligent discourse.

Isn't that Rick's line??? :D

LOL :D:D:D

Sorry GM, I couldn't help myself, however I think that is a good idea (removing of post counts) And I do beleive our community really won't care that much anyways

Thorin Oakenshield
16th Jul 2002, 22:12
I haven't seen any taffer over here say 'Huggs' :eek:
Maybe you've been to the Tomb Raider forum:D

I agree post counts Don't matter but it won't stop posts such as :-
Lol:D :D or {{{HUgZZ}}} and such like
:rolleyes: It may curb it slightly cos there's no gain to it;)

Grey Mouser
16th Jul 2002, 22:33
I have nothing against laughing out loud at stuff on these forums, or anything really that adds to our common interest in Thief, computers, tech stuff and overall benefits our humble little Community...it is the people who only post such stuff, repeatadly, ad nauseum, that know better and ignore the requests of myself and other moderators to shape up or find a better outlet for their drivel, who have been banned and re-banned, who try to out-do one another in number of nonsensical, uninteresting posts...those are the people we would like to encourage to think a bit before posting, and to treat the place as a privilege to be appreciated, rather than a good place to empty their trash because they think it is funny.

Pretty much everyone who mostly hangs in the Thief forums at one time or another I have seen helping people new to Thief, answering questions and sharing their time and expertise...and that is what a Community is all about in my opinion.

(oh yeah...thanks for the {{{HUgzZZ}}} Chow!! ;))

Grey Mouser
16th Jul 2002, 22:34
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
It may curb it slightly cos there's no gain to it;)

The fewer incentives the better.

Fingersmith
16th Jul 2002, 22:37
Hi Mods/Admins--this is GMan, I just haven't gotten around to registering by that name yet.

I think disabling the post counter is a good idea. It can only encourage more thoughtful conversation and discourage fluff. We know who we are, we know the "gang" and it doesn't matter if we've posted 2500 comments or 25.

I would also suggest getting rid of the extra scroll bar on the right. I have one on my browser already, and having both of them over there is annoying.

Options: Could that be put in our member profiles rather than on the bottom of every Reply page?

I liked the old format of being able to read my reply and the chain at the same time without scrolling back and forth.

I like the vB Code menu though, even though most of us were quite adept at the old UBB codes, we are now more newbie friendly.

Would love to give myself a title, or have you give us titles--maybe at a certain level of activity, or based on contributions at the old site?

Other than that, I like the changes of the new forum, and thank you all for your work in making it so good.

Northren
16th Jul 2002, 23:07
I can understand that the few ruin it for the many... *sigh* seems like a recurring theme around here.

I agree with Thorin that it probably won’t curb the :D or “LOL” posts. IMHO those posts are valid; they show that the person enjoyed the original post and gives positive feedback to the poster which in turns encourages more humorous and enlightening posts. But as GM said it wasn’t necessarily a problem on the Thief forum which is the only Eidos forum I visit.

The only thing I’ll miss about not having the post counts are the milestone parties. Oh, well, who needs keys when we have our lockpicks! :D

Btw, GM, If you would..... April 2001. Thanks and {{{HUgZZ}}}

edit: I see that GM further addressed Thorin's comment.

Thorin Oakenshield
16th Jul 2002, 23:20
...Pretty much everyone who mostly hangs in the Thief forums at one time or another I have seen helping people new to Thief, answering questions and sharing their time and expertise...and that is what a Community is all about in my opinion.

Hear, Hear. :)
I really enjoy this forum. I've made many friends over the months since I joined;) I've received help and encouragement from many of you and I hope that I have in some small way helped others too.
Thanks;)

RicknMel
16th Jul 2002, 23:49
Originally posted by stikboy

Isn't that Rick's line??? :D

LOL ;) :p

<small>.....just to be an arse</small>
:p

clayman
17th Jul 2002, 00:09
Well, I've replied twice to this thread then chickened out and hit the "back" icon. But GM invited dissenting opinions, sooooooo......

Bad idea. Why keep the whole class in detention because one or two bad eggs were throwing spitballs ? And it won't solve the problem. Blabbermouth idiots are frequently described with the adjectve "stubborn".......so I don't think the perpetrators will desist because of this right-hearted/wrong-headed decision.

Post count is merely just another little interesting demographic, like your hometown, or your userid, or your registration date, that tells a bit about yourself. Who you are and how long you've been here. Important stuff for people that don't see each other's faces. Keep it.

I don't think us long-term vets should have lost our post counts from the other forum. And I don't think displaying the post counts over here is any big deal.

And for the record, despite the jokes, I'm not going to pursue a high post count over here at the new place. Its strictly a "cameo appearance by clayman" thing now.

So sayeth clayman, last of the big time curmudgeons. :)

So shoot me.

Grey Mouser
17th Jul 2002, 00:34
Noted clayman, and mostly in agreement.

And yes, dissenting opinions are welcome, and listened to. Thank you for taking them time to let me/us (other moderators are involved in this decision, after much debate) know your thoughts.

BrokenArts
17th Jul 2002, 00:39
Post count??? What post count. I don't see no post count. :confused: :p

TRoosevelt_26
17th Jul 2002, 00:41
Will there be any way (like in UserCP) to find out personally what our post counts are, even if they aren't displayed for all to see?

RicknMel
17th Jul 2002, 01:05
It's the same as "that other place".
All you gotta do is look at anyones profile to see their post count...including your own.

Might as well pitch in my 2 cents whilst I'm here......

Don't care much about the post counts being displayed or not displayed. It bothered me a little when I lost my "almost 6000" from the old board.....but since I'm back to square one.....ya might as well hide it.

No biggie. I know who we are, and what we've done as a forum. Thats all that counts for me. :)

I do appreciate at least getting back my reg date though. Thanks again GM. :)

Edit.....
One more thing while I'm harping....
I didn't think it was right for an extremely small handfull of mods to get their post counts to carry over from the other board. Of course..I don't hold anything against any of those who did...but I'm just saying I feel it was an error in judgement to let that occur.
OK...this time I'm really done. :)

bravus
17th Jul 2002, 01:06
Heheh - and here I was working so hard to un-pump my post count! A month in, and I think I'm still a Junior Member! Do you know how much willpower that takes!

My 2c worth is that I liked the parties too, but this bunch of taffers really doesn't need any excuses to party! I'm sure we can think of something... Lithuanian Leather Trousers day party, anyone? ;)

The other thing is that we is all good and well behaved here, but to make the moderation/admin job easy for the whole Eidos forums, uniformity is simpler. We DO want them to stay up, so IMO some slight inconvenience is fair enough...

A thanks, once again, to our thoughtful, mature, listening mods - hats off to yez all!

Bravus

Komag
17th Jul 2002, 06:08
I think it doesn't matter either way, so I don't mind them not being displayed :)

Lytha
17th Jul 2002, 08:24
I like it better with the post count hidden (it is still available in the user profile, so nothing is lost!) :)

Oh, and <b>{{HuGzZz}}</b>

Lake
17th Jul 2002, 12:25
lolomgwtf

Let us see if this helps curb some of the spamming. I hope so.

yubetcha
17th Jul 2002, 13:12
Firstly, I have to agree with Ricknmel. Things like that cause feelings that are not good.
Secondly, I have to also agree with Clayman, even though post count wasn't that important to me. I just want to put this out there...food for thought:
1) It's another description, as Clay said. More defining, which is interesting to some of us. Personally, I can live without it rather easily.
2) This is NOT going to keep people from writing {{{hugggs}}}, LOL or anything else. I suspect that they will keep doing it anyway. Most of the time they do it because that's what they feel, so the post count wouldn't matter. I don't see why it would be a problem anyway. What is it really hurting? Not that I do it. I don't. I just don't see the problem. This is supposed to be an off topic forum anyway. Are we now limited even more as to what we can post? Even in an off topic forum? Is this kind of thing REALLY against the TOU? :confused: If it isn't, then could it really be a problem? Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that it isn't a problem. I just don't see it...especially not one to get banned or rebanned for. Perhaps I'm missing something.
With that said, I can live without it. We all can, but that isn't the point. On a scale of 1 to 10, I might give post count a 3 or 4. There are other things more interesting to me. It helped to describe the person, that's all. It was mildly interesting to me, but interesting nonetheless. "Wow! 4000 posts?!? Where and how did they find the time? Don't they sleep? Do they have a computer widow(er) at home? And where did all of those electrons go? :)". As I said, this is all just food for thought. It doesn't really matter, I guess, since we all...well, most of us, anyway...are starting over anyway. And BTW, if most of us have to start over, we should all have to. Things like that can REALLY get people's knickers in a twist. It can give people wedgies. Well, you know. Things like that can really be more irksome than losing post count display! And it isn't the post count per se' that causes the problem. It's the principle of the thing.

Whatz His Name
17th Jul 2002, 13:48
I see good points on both sides of the issue. I don't see why high post counts are things to shoot for and I don't like how the few ruin something for the many. I'll go along with whatever the Mods think is best. I understand the difficulty in their job, but I hate to see the immature actions of a few change the forum. Once a change is made, they (the immature few) probably use it as a bragging right. "Man, I screwed with the forum so much, they took everyone's post count off."

Tin Star
17th Jul 2002, 14:33
I never cared about post counts,if I had I would have had a lot more then I did have even on the old forum.But I am sure that there are some members that did care about them and most likely could tell you who had what for a count.I do think it is wrong to take something away from everyone because of what a few may be doing and will in no way stop them from doing what they are doing.It seems to me all that has been gained is a chance for them to see what else they can do to make a mess of this forum and upset some of the people on the forum.As I said I don't care about post counts but for those who did I just have to say it was wrong to take the post counts away from them which has been done twice now to most of them and the people who may have looked at post counts as a way of taking advise on what to do.Well thats my two cents worth.

Tin Star:)

yubetcha
17th Jul 2002, 15:47
(nods in agreement)

no. 1: "Let's take away the ability to modify the member status to something else, only because a small few would abuse it, and allow those already changed to keep it" (I would have liked to have changed mine, BTW).

no. 2: "Let's take away the post count only because a small few would abuse it"

Boy, these "small few" really are having a huge impact on this forum. I wonder what's next. :)

DaveJ
17th Jul 2002, 17:33
Whats next?
Everyone in other forums wanting their original registration dates re-instating, so it doesn't look like a favouritism thing exclusive to this forum alone.

(April 2000, if its not too much bother....)
:)

Dark One
17th Jul 2002, 17:42
I say we take away the user names too. Do they really serve any real purpose? It would just be easier to have a number automatically assigned to everyone. At the very least it would make a great sociology experiment I think.

Black Mark
17th Jul 2002, 18:36
Why have any unique attributes at all? We are all equal here. Let's all just be called "user". Except for mods and admins, so some people would know where to keep thier tongues ;)

theBlackman
17th Jul 2002, 19:07
Originally posted by Black Mark
Why have any unique attributes at all? We are all equal here. Let's all just be called "user". Except for mods and admins, so some people would know where to keep thier tongues ;)

I am sooo, tempted... :)

Old Gold
17th Jul 2002, 20:26
Even though I am/was one of those people with a low post count, I must admit that it was neat seeing how far rick was going! :D

:p

Huntress
17th Jul 2002, 20:40
Gee Whiz folks...what's going on here now??? Post count debate, etc. Yegads and Little Catfishes...so here's my take on the matter. A few bad apples spoil the whole barrel?? Not my way of thinking about pleasing the masses. We are a vast group here that took pleasure in being personable people, that were allowed to be individuals and express ourselves to that indivuality that makes us who we are :) As for the post count particularly..it was a fun thing to do in response to a members contribution to our forum and we celebrated by having some fun with it...party time, etc. That was the only real impact it had on us...not the act itself so much (the count) but what we did with it as a collective group of silly funloving Taffers! Now we don't have that event to kick around. Mind you, I don't care about the elimination of that stat...just the fun we had with it.

The addition of using certain phases to express ones delight is also a part of identifying a persons personality...not frivilous mumbo jumbo...but a sincere effort to try and show a way that gets missed in straight text that is bland without some kind of expressive way to show a feeling of some sort when they are writing something they are trying to convey to the rest of us. This is also why we were able to have a closer knit group than is usually found on a BBS board IMHO. That is also why I thought this particular forum "The Crippled Burrick Inn" was to bring what we had good from the old forum to this new home? I think that is slowly disappearing... :(

I can appreciate the idea of maintaining a certain amount of control as to not letting things get out of hand...but by the same token...it is by us "the user" that has help to keep Thief alive while waiting for the next chapter in the life of Garrett et al :) Otherwise, I think this forum would have died a long time ago. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying here either...It has been by the gracious contribution by Eidos and the Mods/Admins that have kept it open for us...but we serve one another in this way as well.

So that's pretty much the way I see things and hopefully this will continue to be a place that welcomes one and all and be a pleasure to visit always :) {{{hugggs}}} :D Couldn't resist either :D

Rommel_1891
17th Jul 2002, 22:06
LOL!!

;)

I won't miss the post count much... never really paid attention anyhow...

Northren
17th Jul 2002, 23:29
Originally posted by Dark One
I say we take away the user names too. Do they really serve any real purpose? It would just be easier to have a number automatically assigned to everyone. At the very least it would make a great sociology experiment I think.

That sociology experiment has already been conducted. A huge failure... six million dead I recall.

But since you're interested in conducting a new test, please feel free to change your nic in for a number... 666 comes to mind. Isn't that the birthmark Damien had on his scalp? :p ;)

Northren tried to bite his tongue, but since Al said he would just let it rip, wtf... why hold back? Besides he has a reputation to uphold... Al that is ;)

Dark One
18th Jul 2002, 00:50
666? Nah, that's not me. I think I'd rather be 333 since 3 is my lucky number.

Squid
18th Jul 2002, 07:03
Personally, I think we should have our post counts back. I liked seeing how high our fellow taffers' counts were getting. I just don't think that we should let the bad apples spoil things for the rest of us good apples.

Squid

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 11:07
Originally posted by DaveJ
Whats next?
Everyone in other forums wanting their original registration dates re-instating, so it doesn't look like a favouritism thing exclusive to this forum alone.

(April 2000, if its not too much bother....)

Why not? (realize though that the mods and admins are also human, and can't perform superhuman feats).
Or a better response: perhaps it's because you have to earn the privilege, like we did. If other forum's members don't get theirs changed, well perhaps that says something. :D

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 11:10
Originally posted by Dark One

Ya know, I almost wrote something similar somewhat facetiously, but decided against it...except that I was going to write that we didn't need any identifying marks at all. :)

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 11:23
Good response, Huntress.
And I also think that the small few shouldn't change it for the rest of us, which has already happened twice now.

DaveJ
18th Jul 2002, 11:46
Originally posted by yubetcha

Or a better response: perhaps it's because you have to earn the privilege, like we did. If other forum's members don't get theirs changed, well perhaps that says something. :)

And what exactly does "earning the privilege" entail? Anything like Black Mark suggested?

It says something alright - favouritism (and a whiff of hypocrisy).

All for one, or nowt at all.

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 11:48

And what exactly does "earning the privilege" entail? Anything like Black Mark suggested?

It says something alright - favouritism (and a whiff of hypocrisy).

All for one, or nowt at all.

Not EVERYTHING in life can be cut exactly down the middle, whether any of us like it or not. Besides, I don't profess to know what admins are thinking. Perhaps you shouldn't either. Why don't you email them and ask them?
Why are registration dates so important anyway? I mean, sure, they are nice to have. We do like them, and we are glad they are changed. But are they important enough to...lesseee...kill for? No? How about go to war over? Or perhaps have resentment, which only hurts the resenter? I am glad that mine was changed, and so is everyone else here, I'm sure, but let's be honest. We could have lived just as well without it. I wouldn't lose my job or my family, if it wasn't changed. Or my friends. My lifestyle would be exactly the same. And yes, I'm still glad that they took the time and trouble to change mine. I still appreciated it.

DaveJ
18th Jul 2002, 13:26
I see your point fine.

I'm sure you see mine.
Unimportant as it may be, why do it for one forum and not others? Its naive to expect other members wouldn't notice and want the same or at least ask questions.

And as I've been a regular visitor to/supporter of these forums for a fair while (including Tomb Raider/Urban Chaos - RIP/Project Eden/Fear Effect and the General OT forum) it would be nice to think that more than just The Thief forum have "earned the privilege".

Its a matter of principle and fair play, I guess.

To coin a phrase:

Originally posted by yubetcha
It's the principle of the thing.

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 13:50
I see your point fine.

I'm sure you see mine.
Unimportant as it may be, why do it for one forum and not others? Its naive to expect other members wouldn't notice and want the same or at least ask questions.

And as I've been a regular visitor to/supporter of these forums for a fair while (including Tomb Raider/Urban Chaos - RIP/Project Eden/Fear Effect and the General OT forum) it would be nice to think that more than just The Thief forum have "earned the privilege".

Its a matter of principle and fair play, I guess.

To coin a phrase:

Well, as I've already stated, (which didn't get answered), why second guess when you can email them, if it's so important to you? Is it moderately important, important enough to vent, but not important enough to do that much?
You say:
"Its naive to expect other members wouldn't notice and want the same or at least ask questions".
If you're going to ask the question (read vent), at least vent your anger/frustration/whatever to the appropriate people. Your "question" is directed at me, and I am not an admin. It's even more naieve to think that I, a regular member, could do something about it.

DaveJ
18th Jul 2002, 14:26
I was simply replying to your reply.

A courtesy.

My question was not directed at you; it was an open question. You took the time to answer, which I appreciate; I took the time to furnish you with the same consideration.

Apologies for missing this bit - my emails on the subject are still unanswered, after 3 weeks and 3 attempts....mine and several others I know have been asking the same thing.

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 14:29
I was simply replying to your reply.

A courtesy.

My emails on the subject are still unanswered, after 3 weeks and 3 attempts....mine and several others I know have been asking the same thing.

Replying to me? I didn't start this little conversation. You did. And if you emailed, then I dunno.

DaveJ
18th Jul 2002, 14:33
*sigh*

I posed a question.

You replied with some good points.

I responded to those points.

Yes, I started this little conversation; you joined in.

So, hows the weather with you?

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 14:39
*sigh*

I posed a question.

You replied with some good points.

I responded to those points.

Yes, I started this little conversation; you joined in.

So, hows the weather with you?

Not to belabor (it's not really that important), but just to set the record straight, I joined in because you directed the post to me. Just know that I'm powerless, that's all.
I dunno what to tell ya about those emails. I guess just keep trying...or go visit their offices in person :D. Maybe the telephone. And BTW, when I was speaking of privilege, I was kidding. Notice the " :D "

DaveJ
18th Jul 2002, 14:55
Funny you should mention that...I really fancy a trip to San Francisco....
;)

Nice chatting with you BTW....nice to see someone else applying a polite, common sense approach in a forum.

I stand corrected by the way....my first comment here was indeed tacked on the end of a comment you had just made.
I was using it as a springboard to pose a general query however, I assure you!

Gumdrop
18th Jul 2002, 14:58
...it would be nice to think that more than just The Thief forum have "earned the privilege".

I've seen some TR members with their original registration dates. ;)

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 15:05
Funny you should mention that...I really fancy a trip to San Francisco....
;)

Nice chatting with you BTW....nice to see someone else applying a polite, common sense approach in a forum.

I stand corrected by the way....my first comment here was indeed tacked on the end of a comment you had just made.
I was using it as a springboard to pose a general query however, I assure you!

If I misunderstood, then I apologize. I thought the post in response to the privilege post was directed at me, so I replied. (But I was kidding about privilege.) Anyway, maybe I was wrong. That's a first, and I need to mark that on the calendar :D LOL!
And thanks. It was nice chatting with you too.

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 15:07
And I hope you get it resolved.

DJC
18th Jul 2002, 15:12
Crikey, all this fuss over a bunch of numbers :tsktsk:.
Really, they haven't "gone" totally, just from the forum template, they are still there in your profile!
Also, removing the post count from the forum template reduces the amount of processing the server has to do per page. No longer does it have to include the post count field in its Database query for *every* post, it doesn't have to have yet *another* variable defined and dynamically generated every time someone loads a thread. The less processing the server must do, the faster the forums will be, and that can only be a good thing :)

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 15:17
To that, I for one agree. (I already said it wasn't that important to me.) But for some, it means more than just numbers, as Huntress said. I for one would be glad to make the page load faster. It can be slow at times. Sometimes I want to get behind the electrons and push :).

yubetcha
18th Jul 2002, 15:18
DaveJ, just a thought: perhaps they aren't replying to email because they are busy with all of the forum changes.

RiCh
18th Jul 2002, 16:13
This is really the only forum I try and visit and post on a regular basis. I really don’t care for post counts, and don’t think it’s that important if you have 5000 posts or 5. Just contributing in the Thief universe here is the most important thing, not reaching some fabled post count!

Thorin Oakenshield
18th Jul 2002, 18:20
Why not make an fm where you don't see how much loot you have until you've completed it:eek: :D

ChowYunFat
18th Jul 2002, 20:24
Here are another 2 cents from me. One of the things you lose when getting rid of post counts is the ability to see who is a brand new member. It's always nice to give newbies a proper welcome to the forum & it can provide some context to their postings to know that they are probably new to Thief.

I'd suggest making a third category of membership to go along with "Junior Member" & "Member"--maybe something like "New Member" to indicate someone with, say, five or fewer posts.

Rommel_1891
19th Jul 2002, 02:08
That's a good point Chow... :)

But then again, us regular taffers know who's who! ;)

stikboy
19th Jul 2002, 16:02
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
Why not make an fm where you don't see how much loot you have until you've completed it:eek: :D

You know, this is actually not a bad idea. Is it possible?? Isn't there an old song that says

"you shouldn't count your money
while taffing about the place"

or something similar :D

Xcom
19th Jul 2002, 17:40
Originally posted by ChowYunFat
One of the things you lose when getting rid of post counts is the ability to see who is a brand new member.

Can't a registration date serve that purpose? (Okay, under normal circumstances, right now all forums are flooded with newbies :D )

Vanguard
31st Jul 2002, 16:48
I thought the post count had value. It indicated who were the regulars that frequented the forum (based on how long ago they became a member and how many posts they've made since then). Yes, there are lurkers and those that have been around awhile but don't post much, but then they are also, by those actions (actually the lack of it), not highly active participants in the forum. And, yes, many of us that have been around here for awhile will recognize each other (unless you changed your moniker in the changeover) but not for anyone that is new or an infrequent participant. A high post count could mean that the member is just extremely talkative by submitting lots of post. I talk a lot but within the same post. In my opinion, those that were deliberately boosting their post counts should've been reset to 1 and the thread deleted to have their hands slapped. I also thought it was an imposition to ask moderators to up post counts to match a member's old count. However, regarding [new] post counts in this new forum, Clayman, Sneak, and many others had high post counts because they participated frequently, were helpful, or just fun to talk with (whether we agreed or argued). By the same logic that we taffers already know each other then, too, we'll recognize those that have high post counts because they are extreme prattlers; the higher post count was indicative of knowing who was a regular here and we'd get used to the exceptions. In the same vein, there are several members that I skip or delay helping because I know that they ask a dozen, or more, questions within the same post and keep asking questions to the point of having them hand-led through the mission. But that's knowledge based on being here a long time and also frequenting the forum a lot during that time. Slap the hands of those that were boosting their post count for no valid reason than ego, but still keep the more-valuable-than-not info. In my opinion, the post count was far more valuable information than member titles like "Junior Member", "Member", "MEMBER" -- or "Chandelier Swinger" and "[Adventurer/Hero]" <small>(but "Moderator" was a valuable title as it identified the poster that also has the biggest club)</small>.

Regarding the use of "LOL", "RATFLMO" (or however spelled), and using smilies -- I never used them until I was berated by several members that they thought my caustic wit (i.e., satire) was interpreted as insults because the words didn't always convey the same meaning to every reader and that the smilies and acronyms helped indicate the tone of my remarks. Relying on the community to get used to your style doesn't always work, and many folks have come to rely on that fluff to indicate demeanor. Saying something like "Get a life" could be interpreted more negatively than if I added the tongue-out smiley :p to indicate it was a friendly jab at a fellow taffer friend. Yes, smilies can get overused, but how much disk space is used for one :) as opposed to three :) :) :) ? Not much. That's less a nuisance to read over than folks that insert graphics or add a couple dozen blank lines to hide spoilers. Being cute is their style, just like some folks are very poor at punctuation, capitalization, organization, and using whitespace to make their posts easier to read. If smilies are such a bother, why not change the option "Disable Smilies in This Post" to "Disable Smilies in This Thread" (for the first post that opened the thread) and make that the default setting?

If you want to cut a lot of fluff, don't bother worrying about the smilies and buzz acronymns. Instead disable quoting which makes it easy to duplicate lots of content.

If we're looking at getting rid of fluff, how about all the "fluff" in signatures? I have my options set to *not* display them but that doesn't change that they occupy disk space in every post that has them. A member's behavior over time defines their character here, not what they liked as a signature. You are as you behave, not as you profess. If we're considering banning smilies or post counts as fluff, then signatures definitely also get eradicated as fluff.

How about folks that enter non-locale text in their Location. Come on, "directly above the center of the earth" is not fluff? At least, give us your state or maybe just your country, omit the city if you want, but give us a hint where you really are. Or leave it blank.

Xcom
31st Jul 2002, 16:56
Originally posted by Vanguard
I talk a lot but within the same post.

Yes, you do. :p

Zaccheus
31st Jul 2002, 21:10
I agree that the registration date is far more important than the post count, but then looking at my TTLG profile, you can see why:
TTLG-Zaccheus (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=7918)
:D

Rommel_1891
2nd Aug 2002, 02:54
Originally posted by Xcom

Yes, you do. :p

Yeah, sometimes he just won't shut up! :p

Grey Mouser
7th Aug 2002, 18:00
Been out of the office for a few days, just now catching up.

Vanguard - good points, mea culpa. Some responses, in no particular order:

Cutting down on fluff is one goal, but having fun in the community of computer gaming is as well, thus my rather self-centered descriptions of title and location. After thinking it over a bit, I decided to remove them. Other folks are welcome to keep theirs, however I do believe that maintaining a degree of professionalism is important for an Admin, so I am now simply "Eidos Forums Admin" at Eidos SF. Much better to at least appear like I am not an arrogant idiot, even though I often am.

There has been some discussion about enabling custom titles for all forum members, or making some changes and additions to the generic ones, but given that the forums are a rather low priority compared to other duties of myself and Redlegg, and that I have been directed to spend most of my time doing other tasks, changes happen slowly for the forums.

Post counts are still tracked in member profile, just not displayed when posting. This seems to have cut down the "competition" to have a high post count among some of the more fluffy members, at least a little bit.

I had wanted to do away with signatures as well, but powers Higher than myself (forums are a division and asset of Eidos Marketing) like them and think they add to the community, so they stay. Smilie usage has never been considered an issue, only repetitive posting of drivel and nonsense, of which the Thief community is blissfully free of.

Please keep in mind that the Eidos Forums are intended to be an enjoyable, non-hostile place to "talk" about computer and console gaming (and loosely related subjects) in a community of peers and equals.

Gamers helping other gamers, and sharing the fun (and sometimes frustrations) of this form of entertainment is the main purpose of the Forums.

Please also keep in mind that the forums are a semi-democratic entity, in that I or Redlegg are generally willing to listen to suggestions, likes and dislikes - and make changes where we see fit, and when we can - with the goal being to create and maintain a happy home for the above mentioned Community of gamers.

Alright, enough of my rambling, must get back to testing soon-to-be-released game (no, not Thief III unfortunately)...see you around the plantation.

RicknMel
7th Aug 2002, 21:09
.........must get back to testing soon-to-be-released game (no, not Thief III unfortunately)........

Uh huh...sure it's not. :p

Kidding aside...well said GM. We are always thankful and appreciative of yours and other mods/admins efforts. We just don't say it often enough.

Rommel_1891
8th Aug 2002, 02:00
Well put GM...

...But, you wanted to get rid of the sigs?!?! :eek:

hehe, the one thing I don't like about our new set up is all the topic areas. I don't feel so many catagories are really necessary. Like dromed and tech help ought to be one catagory. And maybe combine thief3 with general chat since so many future T3 fans are in general chat anyway! ;)

Well, that's all I have. Time for me to crawl back under my rock! :D