PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 4200 TI causing probs

schwaa
16th Jul 2002, 20:53
I posted this at TTLG too, just thought I might reach someone over here that could help:
--------------
I thought this was THE video card, what's wrong?

I'll run through Dromed for awhile and it locks up with no warning, then I have to reboot twice to get my internet working. I figured maybe it was just Dromed so I played a mission last night and just when it got interesting - LOCKUP- goodnight!

I have the latest sound driver for my computer, the latest video driver for the card.

The card is a Gainward Geforce 4200 ti, 64 MB DDRAM. It even has its own fan! I just got Morrowind and it locks up occassionally too.

Before I had a Voodoo 3500 TV and other than being really choppy while playing CL and Hallucinations I had no probs with it. And its an old piece of junk with no new drivers available.

Originally my machine came with a Nvidia TNT2, I had probs with the sound cutting out during gameplay, it was alright in Thief, I could go back to the menu and when I went back into game it was fine.

Thuis is making Dromed really difficult, not only do I have to worry about a Dromed crash but now a video card crash too. At least Dromed only crashed to desktop. When the card crashes its an automatic reboot.

My comp is:
Compaq presario 5000 series
750 mhz
512 MB ram
windows XP

XP has been really stable until now. I don't have a sound card, should I?

Thorin Oakenshield
16th Jul 2002, 21:28
I added my 2 cents at ttlg for what good it does you:D

TRoosevelt_26
17th Jul 2002, 00:40
I had very bad problems with the exact same card (Gainward and everything) and ended up selling it on eBay at a loss because of their somewhat discouraging refund policy. Anyway...could it be that your motherboard is not compatible with the card? That's what the problem with my system was. :(

schwaa
17th Jul 2002, 01:09
:(
That doesn't sound like good news TR. But it might be a prob, I kindof rushed the purchase, I'm not really a wiz with hardware.

I have been considering trying to get a faster motherboard anyway so I'll probably look into my options more carefully before I do anything.

Thanx guys, I appreciate it!

BrokenArts
17th Jul 2002, 01:15
Oh no......I have a new system coming with a GForce Ti4200 128 MB card....now it makes me wonder......:( :confused:

TRoosevelt_26
17th Jul 2002, 01:36
Hey, don't worry, I asked Dell and they said they weren't allowed to ship the card with my standard PC hardware set because it wasn't compatible with the motherboard, but that they shipped it with others because it was compatible with those.

So if your card is coming in a new computer from a shop, it should work fine...it's just malfunctioning for idiots like me who thought, "Hey, great card, cheap, I'll get it...motherboard issues? never heard of 'em."

Good luck! :)

schwaa
17th Jul 2002, 01:41
Well my roommate, who knows alot more about computers than me convinced me to load the updated drivers off the web first. I just loaded the software that came with the card without overwriting the newest driveers I had so I'll see how it works now.

I'll let you kow what happens.

BA, I'm sure your comp will be fine. I probably should've spent more time choosing.

BrokenArts
17th Jul 2002, 01:50
Thanks, I hope so, this new system is from Gateway, they were going to offer the GForce MX 440. I said NO!
I told them what I wanted. OK they said, she wants to spend the money, but, I hope it is correct too, that the system wouldn't go out if it wasn't compatible.

schwaa
17th Jul 2002, 05:55
BA, good choice on NO to the MMX. A geforce 3 is supposed to be better.

Sorry, never noticed the "technical" section.

schwaa
18th Jul 2002, 01:46
Well, loading the software that came with it helped sme but it still crashes, just not as frequently.

I've heard of some "detonator" drivers, Now I going searching...

Peter_Smith
18th Jul 2002, 02:10
Detonator drivers are nVidia's reference drivers, and they work for all nVidia chip sets (including TNT and GeForce) regardless of brand name. I suggest getting the original current blessed versions rather than beta versions which may be available on the net.

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=drivers

Peter_Smith
18th Jul 2002, 02:20
I had another thouht, but it fizzled. There used to be a site, geforcefaq.com, but it seems to have disappeared and been pirated by some sleazeball operation. I wonder what happened to the real site? Anyway, they had some good tweaks and solutions for problems. If you can find their list somewhere, it may help.

LeatherMan
18th Jul 2002, 04:05
Another good site to check out is The Guru of 3D (http://www.guru3d.com). The forums there might be a good place to look for answers. ;)