PDA

View Full Version : Random Crash

Vivi Ornitier
16th Jul 2002, 11:33
Hey all,

I'm v.v.v.close to finally finishing a level...

At the moment it has 243 objects, 139 rooms and 5 Flipmaps (mentioned just in case that is the cause of the problem),

The problem I'm having is that, when playing in the level, upon triggering anything it could crash it...what i mean is that sometimes you trigger something, and it'l work fine, and other times it crashes the game, and pulls you out of it,

It seems to happen when you don't kill something, and then enter the next room...this is a major problem considering that there are a fair number of bats, some of which prefere to hide in the corner of a room, than fly at Lara's pistols.

Hope someone can help,

Vivi

maxx
16th Jul 2002, 11:56
I may be totally wrong, but 243 objects is close to the limit. Here is what it says in the manual ...

"There is a limit to the number of objects you can place in a level! The total is around 245, which is 10 less than the total number in the information box below the Editor Window. The reason for this is you must leave at least 10 animating slots free for in-game animations."

So - while not killing anything - you probably have too many animated bats at once?

Well, just a thought.

Vivi Ornitier
16th Jul 2002, 12:44
Yeah...243 objects is close to the limit, but I don't think that that is the problem...I've had 245 of the 256 objects the editor says you can have in the level, and then taken some out, however, whilst having 245 it worked fine...and it's not even as if you have to go far into the level in order to make the thing crash...triggering one bat, and walking out of the room, in the first room, seems to be eought to crash it.

Thanks,
Vivi

Ps. I just this second tried deleting all but one bat in the room, bringing the objects down to around 137 ish, and, this time, not even running between rooms, the game crashed out...

P.p.s Why is it that something that should be so simple never works?

maxx
16th Jul 2002, 13:25
P.p.s Why is it that something that should be so simple never works?

Murphy's Law :D

So you had 245 objects and it worked fine and now having 243 objects it does not?

hm... the only thing I can think of now is that you may have some "left over" trigger?!? :confused:

sorry I couldn't help. :(

Chronicles5
16th Jul 2002, 15:20
load up trwest or wadmerger, and delete all objects you don't need, an unused door, etc. This will reduce file size and will probably reduce errors. Delete any unnecesary objects in the level, and if there is anything else you can get rid of, you should, because 243 is a dangerously high number... Also don't have too many enemies around at a time, too much enemy movement in a big, or detailed area can cause the game too crash, with too much information for the game to handle. You can have a level full of objects in a detailed big area, but don't push the limit with enemies all over the place... hope this helps :)

Vivi Ornitier
17th Jul 2002, 22:34
Thanks Chronicles5 -- I knew that there was something I had forgotten to check. Sorry I didn't post this sooner, been working on it...the level.

There were over 35 objects in the wad I hadn't used ;)

Vivi

Chronicles5
17th Jul 2002, 22:44
ok, glad to see there are no more problems, and i cant wait to see your level ;)

Josep
18th Jul 2002, 10:36
I understood that your problem is now fixed but I can explain what was probably happening. I have faced similar problems in the past. When the project (prj + wad) is near the limit, a crash can occur when there are too much different types of enemies at the same time. It is not a problem of its number (I have tested with 20 or more at the same time -all of the same kind-) but activating two of different types (or three types) crashes. If this happens there is only one solution decrease theproject or the wad.

One good test is play the level without kills or place at the first room -temporaly- all the enemies and activated at the same time to test it.

Josep

MountainDewNut
18th Jul 2002, 14:30
Originally posted by Chronicles5
ok, glad to see there are no more problems, and i cant wait to see your level ;)

I can't wait to test it :p