PDA

View Full Version : the Rutles

rocconorth
16th Jul 2002, 08:21
The title of this thread we'll probably only have meaning to a few people, but here's a hint, it's related to the Beatles threads that have been getting posted. For those of you in the know, go ahead and post some of your favorite quotes from this "masterpiece" involving Ron Nasty, Dirk McQuigley, Stig, and Barry Wom.

Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"In fact, Nasty had said that the Rutles were bigger than Rod...not God . He was referring to Rod Stewart who would not become popular for another 10 years."

I'm sure most of you are throughly confused, but some of you out there might have fun with this.

DaveJ
16th Jul 2002, 09:03
I loved The Pre-Fab Four and their Tragical History Tour..

THE True Lara
16th Jul 2002, 10:35
LMAO! I loved that!

Long live Pythonism in whatever form it may be.......!

You know it still amazes me just how similar a feel they got to the Beatles, it was perfect!

All you need is cash............ all you need is cash, cash,
cash is all you need............... :D

http://members.lycos.co.uk/rsid/rutles.jpg

rocconorth
17th Jul 2002, 07:24
Reporter: "Some people say you've been avoiding this place.
Nasty: "It's not that we've been avoiding it so much as not coming here. Why don't you just ask me where I've been?"
Reporter: "Where have you been?"
Nasty: "I'm not telling ya."

Once again...this is funny if you've seen the video. To all you Beatles fans who haven't seen the Rutles video, I suggest you get a copy and see it. You won't be disappointed.

rocconorth
17th Jul 2002, 07:28
[QUOTE]Originally posted by THE True Lara
[B]LMAO! I loved that!

Pardon me for my ignorance, but what is LMAO stand for?

DaveJ
17th Jul 2002, 09:05
Laughing My Arse Off

Stellalune
17th Jul 2002, 15:45
ROFL! The worst part is now that I'm going senile, I can remember all the Rutles lyrics but not as many of the real Beatles. I'll be singing in the car (shower, etc.) and suddenly realize I'm belting out "Hold my hand, yeah yeah! Hold my hand, yeah yeah! Hold my hand and I'll see you hoooome!"

rocconorth
17th Jul 2002, 23:57
Originally posted by stellalune
ROFL! The worst part is now that I'm going senile, I can remember all the Rutles lyrics but not as many of the real Beatles. I'll be singing in the car (shower, etc.) and suddenly realize I'm belting out "Hold my hand, yeah yeah! Hold my hand, yeah yeah! Hold my hand and I'll see you hoooome!"

LOL. I do that too. Some of those songs were actually pretty good if you ask me. I play in a band and we've actually performed some of those songs! What I thought was great about the Rutles songs was that they didn't just copy one song and change the lyrics. Most of the songs are combinations of Beatles songs. For instance the song "Hold My hand" is take off of the lyrics from "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", but the music is more of a take off of "All My Loving". My favorite thing though in all of the Rutles song is during the ending of "Love Life" (the "All You Need Is Love" parody). As they're all singing "Love Life, Love Life" at the end Ron Nasty starts singing "Hold my hand...yeah, yeah. Hold my hand...yeah, yeah." This is so great because in the Beatles song "All You Need Is Love" John starts singing "She loves you...yeah, yeah" as a kind of homage to the early days. That was such smart comedy to not overlook that and reference an acutal early "Rutles" song. Absolutely hysterical! :D

PS Now I need to know what ROFL means. I really need to brush up on my acronyms. :)

DaveJ
18th Jul 2002, 07:35
ROFL = Rolling On the Floor Laughing.

You see a pattern emerging?
;)

Stellalune
18th Jul 2002, 13:02
Rocco, yeah, I love that bit you described. When I first saw it, I was definitely LMAO. ;-)

Those silly acronyms and emoticons (smilies, etc.) are kind of annoying, but I'm as guilty as most in using them. They do save typing. In case you want to brush up, there are a bunch of pages out there with lists of them. Just go to google.com or your favorite search engine and enter terms like 'internet acronyms emoticons.'

I'm sure there are hundreds of lists out there. They vary a little over different web communities. On alt.games.tombraider they had a thread a while back titled 'acronyms.' It started with WWLD (what would Lara do?) and evolved from there. See this page (http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wwld+group:alt.games.tombraider&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=R3Yv8.3003%24DZ2.635974%40news6-win.server.ntlworld.com&rnum=3).

Back on topic, I also love the part where the interviewer is talking to the guys about their ambitions and Barry says, "I'd like to be a hairdresser. Or two. I'd like to be two hairdressers."

rocconorth
26th Jul 2002, 21:04
Originally posted by Drexel

One thing I remember though was how they portrayed Yoko Ono as Hitler! :D LMAO.

Her Hitler/Yoko character was named "Chastity" and she was the offspring of the man that "started WWII". Ron met her at the "Pretentious Gallery" and he really was taken in by her "destructo art" where pieces of art were dropped from tall buildings and then put on display. Chastity told Ron about her idea to drop the artists themselves out of buildings and Ron was immediately smitten.

(Yeah Drexel...that's a hilarious part of the movie. What about the scene where they are protesting in the shower. Neil Innes (the guy who played Ron Nasty) is trying not to laugh during the scence if look closely.)

LadyLC
27th Jul 2002, 19:04
and what about the reference to the Paul character & his wife in the post-Rutles epilogue:

"..........(they)formed a band called the Punk Floyd where he sang and she didn't."

No disrespect to Linda's memory, but they got it spot on

THE True Lara
29th Jul 2002, 18:01
Oh yeah....One of the songs I remember was a parody of "Get Back".. "Get up and go....., get up and go......, get up and go.. back.. home."

LMAO, that was actually the first Rutles song I heard, and I was just in fits!!! :D
How did they get it all soooo right?! :)

rocconorth
29th Jul 2002, 19:34
Oh yeah....One of the songs I remember was a parody of "Get Back".. "Get up and go....., get up and go......, get up and go.. back.. home." [/B]

I think what made that movie so funny was how acurately they portrayed the mannerisms the Beatles. Ron (actor/musician Neil Innes...the John Lennon character) was so great at that kind of arrogant, cocky yet playful manner that John Lennon often exhibited. In the later "Rutle" years, he always had this pretentious scowl on his face that was so great. Also, did you notice how when they began to perform "Get Up And Go" on the rooftop, Ron pushed one of the tech guys off the roof. Hysterical!