PDA

View Full Version : once my station gets going the game always freezes

pavl
15th Jul 2002, 14:08
Might anyone know why startopia is always freezing on me when my station gets anywhere near being big? Also as it gets bigger it slows down to the pace of a slug. I've a 900mhz processor, 128 mb RAM, nvidia gforce 2 400 64mb RAM graphics and I don't think it should go that slow or freeze all the time - it's driving me mad. Does anyone know anything? Can anyone help? Does anyone have a similar situation? I don't know, maybe it's normal that it runs slow and the frame rate reduces to 1 per minute.

Help?

SkrasherSmasher
15th Jul 2002, 14:14
I don't know exactly how GEforce2 works, but I had that problm too. I went into my computer and found the graphics card. I changed the prefrences from graphics to Preformance, then everything was fine. Also, when your in a big station, don't go down to the floor and look toward other sections, that always shoves a big stick up my computer's ***.

DMA57361
15th Jul 2002, 14:21
I had the same problem. I have a GForce 2.

It was fixed by simply just turning off my virus scanner while playing! Althought I've heard that is not the only cause of the problem. You might as well try!

Hope it helps.

(Oh, and I hope you have got the patch installed :rolleyes: )

pavl
15th Jul 2002, 15:16
hmmm, thanks for these handy hints, unfortunately I have disabled my virus scanning software, installed the patch etc etc but no luck. I'm not entirely sure how to change my card from grapics to performance as suggested by M skrasher but I'll atempt something.....

We'll see.

Paul.

Ghyron
15th Jul 2002, 18:37
It's part of the code, silly:

Dim Winning as boolean

If winning = True then
Call Crash(FreezeGame)
End if

pavl
15th Jul 2002, 22:36
Yeah right, it appears to be some weird code I know nothing of then. I've got no clue about codes and boolean operatives but if you do then let me in on it..................

SkrasherSmasher
16th Jul 2002, 00:11
If you can find the code within the system, change true to false. That way you can say you have never lost. You don't suck, your computer just crashes a lot!:cool:

pavl
16th Jul 2002, 13:55
oh right - all I need to do is find the code, that sounds easy enough, ha ha ha. I've searched across the known universe for any sign of a code with any of those things in it. I've unistalled, reinstalled, updated - removed - reinvented drivers, hardware software and still it crashes. Bloody great.

Ghyron
16th Jul 2002, 15:01
Uhm, if you changed True to False, then it would crash as soon as you start a mission (or start losing). Just delete the if then statement and comment out all instances of "Call Crash" and comment out the Crash Function. :D

AlphaOmega
17th Jul 2002, 07:50
Ignore our -helpful- members.

A) Read the Tech FAQ (find it on the sticky thread in the general disscussion.)

B) Fiddle with the graphics options untill something clicks, turn options on and off.

Good luck!

pavl
17th Jul 2002, 11:20
AHH..thank you, someone genuinely helpful who doesn't speak in gibberish....no offence:)

Mucky Foot
4th Aug 2002, 11:27
That machine spec sounds like it should be giving you excellent performance - it's better than the machines we developed StarTopia on! A little more memory wouldn't hurt, but it should still be perfectly good.

Yes, try reducing your graphics settings. Probably the best things to try are:

-Turn off "impostors"

-Make sure you have Anti Aliasing (sometimes called "AA") turned off. There is a setting for it in the game, but on nVidia cards there is also a setting in the Windows control panel to force it on (ignoring the setting in the game). Make sure this is off - the GeForce2 isn't really powerful enough to support it for StarTopia.

-Reducing the "level of detail" slider - just move it from half-way along to around 1/4.

-Move the texture detail setting down a bit. Not too much, or things will just look ugly but not actualyl go any faster :-) Around 1/3 should be fine.

-As a last resort, turn on fog. It's a bit ugly, and your system really should not need it (it was designed so that StarTopia could run on really really old system). But it might help.

If you have tried all these, and you are still having performance problems, could you email us at webmaster@muckyfoot.com, and we'll have a chat about it.

Tom F - Muckyfoot coder.

kool_kats_rule
5th Aug 2002, 11:35
The fog is actually kinda cool (as long as you don't put it all the way up)