PDA

View Full Version : AOD Voice Actors

dr.feever
14th Jul 2002, 21:43
From the looks of things AOD is going to take the gaming world by storm upon its release. However I am still left with one question. If Eidos and Core are doing their best to make a truly great game, why not hire proffesional actors to do the voices? As far as I am aware there is no mention of this. I think it would be great to have Angelina Jolie do the voice overs for Lara, and Anthony Hopkins do the voice overs for Edcart. It would add to the over all greatness of the game, and give it a more movie like feel. There is one recent successful example of a game to have done this. Spider-Man: The movie had a list of voice actors which included: Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, and William Dafoe as the Green Goblin. Do you think it would be a good idea for AOD to use professional actors to do the voices for the game? Who would be your choices for possible actors, and for what characters?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly, but giant six armed statutes fall because of their gravity. :D

LarzBritsh
14th Jul 2002, 21:49
Using the game's movie to the voice acting would be great.
I would love for AJ to do Lara's voice, but for some reason i doubt it.

One game that had good voice acting would be Soul Reaver 2, the whole Soul Reaver series.

Young Lara's voice was horrible, the what she says "and why should i listen to you?" is horrible.

cowboy from hell
14th Jul 2002, 21:57
Voice acting in games have traditionally always been less than par:D But I would be willing to bet that Core and Eidos would not spend this much time, money, and resources to build a revolutionary game just to blow the whole thing with cheesy voice-overs. I'll have faith. This game is gonna kill!

Aquarius
14th Jul 2002, 22:02
If Core did get AJ to do the voice, it'd be awesome!!

Let's wait and see, and hope that they did!! :D

TombRaiderChik
14th Jul 2002, 22:35
that was in an article in a playstation mag about them wanting angelina and sir anthony doin the voices....but i highly doubt that they are gonna do the voices of lara and edcart.

Kurtis Trent
15th Jul 2002, 01:08
Originally posted by TombRaiderChik
that was in an article in a playstation mag about them wanting angelina and sir anthony doin the voices....but i highly doubt that they are gonna do the voices of lara and edcart.

I hope that they do the voices. keep on hopin

MissLara2U
15th Jul 2002, 14:12
Speech is something it would appear Core Design is taking very seriously, including the introduction of new technologies to aid the in-game dialogue. From an article we released in Feb: "Core Design will also be implementing ground-breaking lip-synchronization technologies which realistically tailors dialog with mouth movement for FMV segments and in-game scenes. The traditional open/shut motion of in-game dialogue will be made redundant in favor of advanced speech to mouth synchronization (lip-synch) so effective the company speculates players will be able to follow a conversation by deciphering the movement of a characters lips as he/she speaks."

Also, several high-profile names have been banded about the circuit over the past months all rumoured to be making their vocal debuts in The Angel Of Darkness. Jolie, thankfully, wasn’t one of them.

M.

--

www.tombraiderchronicles.com

www.tombraiderforums.com

DaveJ
15th Jul 2002, 15:58
They should stick to unknown voice actors.

Otherwise it takes one out of the gaming moment....rather than thinking "Thats Eckhardt" you'd be thinking "OOOh I know that voice it sounds like him from that film with thingy you know the one where he bit the head off that whatchamacallit and drove really fast into the...oh bugger Lara's dead."

Its a bit like when famous actresses do nude scenes....one doesn't think "Oooh look - its Princess Amidala being arty", you think instead "I can see Natalie Portman's thrupennies there......"

cowboy from hell
15th Jul 2002, 18:13
Originally posted by DaveJ
They should stick to unknown voice actors.

Otherwise it takes one out of the gaming moment....rather than thinking "Thats Eckhardt" you'd be thinking "OOOh I know that voice it sounds like him from that film with thingy you know the one where he bit the head off that whatchamacallit and drove really fast into the...oh bugger Lara's dead."

Its a bit like when famous actresses do nude scenes....one doesn't think "Oooh look - its Princess Amidala being arty", you think instead "I can see Natalie Portman's thrupennies there......"

:eek: :) :) :) :) That's funny!

Also, I like the thought of unknown voice actors doing the games' dialog. It just seems right to me.

Aquarius
15th Jul 2002, 18:41
Originally posted by MissLara2U
Speech is something it would appear Core Design is taking very seriously, including the introduction of new technologies to aid the in-game dialogue. From an article we released in Feb: "Core Design will also be implementing ground-breaking lip-synchronization technologies which realistically tailors dialog with mouth movement for FMV segments and in-game scenes. The traditional open/shut motion of in-game dialogue will be made redundant in favor of advanced speech to mouth synchronization (lip-synch) so effective the company speculates players will be able to follow a conversation by deciphering the movement of a characters lips as he/she speaks."

That'll be so much better than in the previous games. It annoyed me so much how she'd talk to someone, and her lips never moved!!!

Johnny
15th Jul 2002, 18:52
I don't think AJ did a very good job mimicking Lara's voice. It sounded more American than British. Lara's voice in TR3 was the best in the series; however, her voice in TRLR and Chronicles weren't too bad. :rolleyes:

DaveJ
15th Jul 2002, 19:12
As a Brit, I can unequivocally state that Angelina's accent was superb.... she nailed the Home Counties bit just right.

I prefer what she did to the ones in the games, too. The TR3 voice sounded like someone just reading lines, not acting at all.

moose562
15th Jul 2002, 21:32
yes i agree - she was a little rigid

however, she is much better than old madame lisp who did tr4 and 5 i hated it

yuck! yuck! yuck!

it would be a catastrophe if they changed her voice after AoD wouldn't it?! yuck

LeeO
16th Jul 2002, 15:09
Why does everyone hate AJ? She's cool and her accent was spot on! So :p to everyone who says otherwise.

AJ is the only big actor I could see staring in a TR Game, as she agrees to play her in a movie, but Hopkins? Don't make me laugh (too much)

Aquarius
16th Jul 2002, 19:45
Originally posted by _Lara_Croft_
I am so glad that the lady that did Lara's voice in TR3 is doing it in AOD!

Is it known now for sure, that Judith Gibbins is Lara's voice in AOD?

TR_Freak
17th Jul 2002, 05:31
uhhh not to be a downer _Lara_Croft_ because believe me i would be EXTATIC if they got Juddith Gibbons to do AOD but where does it say its official? I doubt they will use her because they are going for a whole new lara so im sure theyll go with a whole new voice! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong because i love the tr2 and tr3 voices! Best of the series by far!

LeeO
17th Jul 2002, 20:49
As long it's more like her acting in TR3 and not 2... as that was awful... "Pardon me if that was just your way of trying the doors for me..." bleurgh!

Acceber
19th Jul 2002, 07:44
As long as its still received pronunciation thats fine by me. :D ;)

LaraAngelOfDarkness
19th Jul 2002, 08:33
Well we all know it will be someone, right? I'm just wondering if Susie Hamilton will still do the sound effects, like when Lara sighs, I like the way she sighs.:D