PDA

View Full Version : Stereo 3D

ChangelingJane
14th Jul 2002, 19:53
Does anybody know if it's possible to get any of the stereo 3D glasses out there to work with Thief/2? I've always wanted to try it out, but it'd be a waste if none worked with Thief.

TRoosevelt_26
14th Jul 2002, 22:15
Now what are those? :confused:

Stile451
14th Jul 2002, 23:03
Some people have done this, but noone over here has done it to my knowledge.

Try asking in at TTLG (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=83).

TR, I don't know either, most likely similar to 3D glasses.

Peter_Smith
14th Jul 2002, 23:33
Stereo vision = binocular vision = 3-D vision, as in 3-D movie, as in Captain E-O (or whatever his name was).:)

My understanding of 3-D glasses is as follows. The most common stereo glasses work by having the video card render alternating frames from two different viewpoints, separated by the distance between the eyes but focusing on the same point at infinity. The two different images come out alternately and are both displayed on the monitor, which needs to have a short persistence phosphor. The glasses synchonize with the signals, shutting off the view of the Left and Right eyes alternately, so each eye sees only the images intended for it. The shutters work with an LCD which causes the glass to turn opaque and clear rapidly, in synch with the signal.

You can see this in action by placing your hands over your left and right eyes alternately and seeing your monitor move horiorizontally relative to distant objects.

The tricky part is that there is some software, which I think comes with the glasses, that asks the video card to do that stereo view shift and synchronization. I'm not sure how that works. In principle, it should interface with any game. That must all be coordinated with the video card drivers, the refresh rates, etc., and it is not a trivial matter as I understand it. The last time I read about this, it took some effort to get the right combination of hardware and software and to set it up.

I have no personal experience with this. This is just what I have read. I do not know how well they work for Thief or any particular video card and its drivers. I suggest checking not only TTLG but also Google. Let us know what you find out. I am interested in this but have not taken the time to figure out the details or to learn what really works.

ChangelingJane
15th Jul 2002, 00:53
That's right Peter, they're also called "shutter glasses". Same thing as "3D glasses". A lot of cards list specific support for certain games, but usually that's just a marketing ploy. I figure that if Thief uses Direct3D, it should be able to work with shutter glasses. I don't think getting them to work is as hard as you were saying, Peter, at least not the newer products. Back in the day it was a *****, but not now with Direct3D and better Glide support.

ChangelingJane
15th Jul 2002, 00:56
And I just made a post in TTLG forums, thanks for the suggestion!

theBlackman
19th Jul 2002, 21:51
I have a pair of 3D glasses that work quite well. Unfortunately the company is OOB. They are programable for most of the games prior to Dec 2001. However, they can be tweaked for nearly any game.

They were made by VR Caddy. I use them for 3 or 4 games. Star Wars Racer, Thief2, UT and one or two others.

I like the effect and have not had a problem with the discomfort some people seem to have regarding, headaches, nausea, or dizziness.