PDA

View Full Version : Male/female (??)

TRoosevelt_26
14th Jul 2002, 18:05
Got this from the Tomb Raider forum, and I like it. It helps stave off confusion. :)

See here: <<

LeatherMan
14th Jul 2002, 18:12
Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26
Got this from the Tomb Raider forum, and I like it. It helps stave off confusion. :)

See here: <<

Where?

BrokenArts
14th Jul 2002, 18:29
Are you talking about the little [M] that is under your name?

TRoosevelt_26
14th Jul 2002, 18:47
Yes, sorry, I am talking about the "M" for "male" that is after my location. If everyone obligingly did this (ha!) then it would solve the problem of my calling hims hers and hers hims as I sometimes do to my embarrassment. :D

Whatz His Name
15th Jul 2002, 01:32
I hope you taffers can tell what sex I am by looking at my name.:D

RicknMel
15th Jul 2002, 01:51
Originally posted by Whatz His Name
I hope you taffers can tell what sex I am by looking at my name.:D

<s>Me</s> Us too. ;) :p

BrokenArts
15th Jul 2002, 02:30
Me?? Well, just guess. :p ;)

bravus
15th Jul 2002, 03:17
A good idea for those who want to, but one reason some people use nicks is to obscure their gender so they can just be treated as people. I manifest as male in here, but have at other times in other venues not necessarily bothered to decide, or else actively presented a female character. (It's an educational experience I recommend, by the way, for either gender. It's a real eye-opener, how crass some guys are in hitting on what they believe to be an attractive woman - if they only knew!)

So I like your idea, but if someone prefers to either (a) keep their gender secret or (b) just not be bothered by what pronouns they get and keep it indeterminate, that's fine by me too.

Bravus

Bat-mite
15th Jul 2002, 20:08
Bat-mite is of the 21-digit variety.
:o

*m*
15th Jul 2002, 20:10
So that would make me the....20-digit variety? ;)

Xcom
15th Jul 2002, 20:27
Originally posted by Whatz His Name
by looking at my name.:D

Which is? :p

bravus
15th Jul 2002, 20:28
LOL - we often wear clothes and shoes, which is presumably why we count in base-10. If we'd still been nekkid when we learned to count, and still as male-dominated as we were at the time, we'd be counting in base-21: uurggghh!

Bravus

Edit - was binary developed by the Inuit (Eskimos), who wear mittens? ;)

RicknMel
15th Jul 2002, 20:39
Originally posted by bravus
was binary developed by the Inuit (Eskimos), who wear mittens? ;)

LOL......then who came up with the octal system? :p

bravus
15th Jul 2002, 20:45
Probably a boy like me who liked playing with explosives but was a bit less careful/lucky. ;)

Bravus

bravus
15th Jul 2002, 21:31
...that's easy! A guy who was even more careless with explosives and lost a whole hand, but went nekkid! C'mon, gimme a tough one! ;) :p

Bravus

stikboy
15th Jul 2002, 21:58
C'mon, gimme a tough one! ;) :p

<A Href="http://www.psinvention.com/zoetic/base60.htm" target="_blank">sexagesimal</A> :D

bravus
15th Jul 2002, 23:19
OK, I know it's like shooting fish in a barrel to direct spelling (f)lames at math geeks, but really:
The Sumerian culture developed the Sexagesimal <b>Numberbing</b> system some 4000 to 6000 years ago. This system was developed into a <b>rigoruous</b> numbering system.
Having said that... I will carefully refrain from saying that three nekkid women would have <b>me</b> feeling pretty sexagesimal! :o ;)

Bravus

TRoosevelt_26
15th Jul 2002, 23:25
looooooooool

Fingersmith
16th Jul 2002, 03:19
That's amusing to me about your being [F], TR. I don't think about gender much online, except for the many Thief fans I already know, but I always read "TRoosevelt" as "Theodore Roosevelt", and well, you understand understand that line of reasoning.

Folks from the old Eidos forum who know me as GMan have seen various pix of me and know I'm male...but clay and I once had them going... :D

TRoosevelt_26
16th Jul 2002, 03:23
Originally posted by Fingersmith
That's amusing to me about your being [F], TR. I don't think about gender much online, except for the many Thief fans I already know, but I always read "TRoosevelt" as "Theodore Roosevelt", and well, you understand understand that line of reasoning.

Folks from the old Eidos forum who know me as GMan have seen various pix of me and know I'm male...but clay and I once had them going... :D

Oops...sorry about that. The [F] was changed specifically (and temporarily) for this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1831) and I forgot to change it back. :D

I am, indeed, an [M].

ChangelingJane
17th Jul 2002, 02:53
Yes, things get easier with these conventions. And then people come around like me, who consider themselves both genders, or neither. It's never that simple ^_~

stikboy
17th Jul 2002, 17:57
I will carefully refrain from saying that three nekkid women would have <b>me</b> feeling pretty sexagesimal! :o ;)

I was thinking something simialr, but was hoping that someone of your stature may be a little more mature than I :D ;)