PDA

View Full Version : OT (Kinda): DVD Storage

ChowYunFat
13th Jul 2002, 21:32
Hi all! I got a DVD player a while ago & have since accumulated a bunch of DVD's to go with it. I love that they take up so much less space than my old VHS tapes do but I've gotten greedy & would like to save even more space! Does anyone know if it would be harmful to the discs to store them in those little CD jewel cases rather than the big DVD keep cases? I've never seen anyone do that & whenever I look at DVD storage cases, all they have are the big black plastic things. I figure there must be some reason nobody seems to do that but why? :)

And just to keep this thread somewhat on topic, what is the best way to store my Thief CD's so that they'll be useable for many years in the future? Right now I have them in those slim soft plastic jewel cases but that probably isn't the best way to keep them long term.

TRoosevelt_26
14th Jul 2002, 00:25
I was told that the only difference between a DVD and a CD is the compression software used, so I shouldn't think it would make a difference where you stored them.

Stile451
14th Jul 2002, 01:03
DVDs are much more delicate than cds.

DVDs use a layer system(like ogres), which is why they can hold much more than CDs(they're basically lots of CDs stacked on top of one another). So there are many different read surfaces inside the DVD at various distances from the read side, some of which are very close to the read side's surface, meaning that even minor scratches that wouldn't affect a CD may affect the data on the DVD. So that's DVDs in a nutshell.

I haven't tried to put any of my DVDs in CD carry cases (and I don't think I ever will, but that's because all my DVDs have unique cases). I guess you could try it, but if you see any new scratches then get them back into the regular cases before big damage happens.

<font size=1>Disclaimer: Don't blame me if they do get scratched up</font>

ChowYunFat
14th Jul 2002, 01:29
Thanks for the advice, guys. Actually, I've always thought that the jewel cases are safer for storage than many of the DVD cases. Some of the DVD cases require you to put a lot of pressure on the disc to get it out of the case & I never like doing that. I have lots of jewel cases from old discarded computer games, etc. so I'll give it a try & see what happens. I promise not to blame you, Salvage. :)

Komag
14th Jul 2002, 06:32
Indeed, jewel cases are the best solution of all, though the DVD cases are pretty much just fine. DO NOT EVER put your DVDs in crappy sleeve things like those mass CD holder pouch thing that hold 40 or 80 discs! Those things are CRAP and scratch up your CDs and put fingerprints on them since that's the only way to grab them in and out. And it's true that DVDs are more sensitive - they are the same easy to scratch as CDs, but the same scratch on a DVD is more damaging because of the minute precision of the data.

SlyFoxx
14th Jul 2002, 13:22
If you want to save space use the really thin jewel cases. The ones that are half as think as a regular CD case. I bought a case of 100 for about 8 bucks at Sam's Club. They comes in a few different colors so you can color code to an extent. Just file them alpabeticly 'casue you can't rally label the spines. Say yellow for action, purple for comedy etc.

Happy archiving:)

sly

ChowYunFat
14th Jul 2002, 22:05
Thank you Komag & SlyFoxx. As I said, I have lots of empty jewel cases that I could use but I had also been thinking of buying some of the super-thin colored ones that SlyFoxx mentioned. I already keep my computer discs in those--it's great how much space they save!!!