PDA

View Full Version : My impressions about the 3 visual modes of RotTR on the PS4 Pro

dandins
11th Nov 2016, 08:42
maybe some of you are interessted in some more details about the ps4 pro features..

first off - everything runs fine - no idea why others complain about crashes. I did a clean install and downloaded my savefile from the psn cloud. Im playing on a Sony 1080p HD TV.

i started a new game and noticed that its possible to change these modes any time you want. even while cutscenes.

First i tested the high framerate mode - I really had a "wow" effect cause the game runs very smoothly and controls feels much more directly. The picture feels more calm. Somehow it also feels a little artificial and the game looses a little bit of its cinematic atmosphere but if you prefer performance you'll get what you want.

Then I tested the enriched visuals mode. The biggest thing you'll notice are the changes of the vegetation. I would describe it as more voluminous and little color changes. Also there is much more movement in all the green. The picture gets very busy as the green moves constantly. A mix between quit and windy scenes would round this up a little. Some little extra bushes in distance as the level of detail increase. Also the texture filtering gives better texture quality in the distance. Some textures "change" a little but its no "wow" effect - all in all its sometimes hard to say if the enviroment gets better or just changes alittle bit (textures).
Lara itself has no noticable upgrades except the "cinematic" hair. When playing with the options you see that something about the hair changes - imo its looked more detailed in the other modes - still not sure whats the actual improvement at this point.
A big bummer for me was the "shadow soften". It could look quite nice when "longer" shadows are softer which is really realistic but the game softens all shadows - also the short ones which it not realistic. Very thin shadows actually nearly disappear as they get softened. This feature isnt as great as it should be. Shorter shadows should be sharper and more detailed and longer shadows should be soft.
I also noticed a enhanced "field of deepth" effect which is kinda nice. Its softens the distance but it no replacement for some anti-aliasing.
The biggest issue in this mode is the aliasing. As the enviroment moves much more the picture gets more bussy and you'll notice alot of aliasing and pixels especially around bushes. (same in the high framerate mode and same to the original ps4 version). I was expecting at least a little anti aliasing in the enriched mode to compensate this busy picture and to make it more calm. I would appreciate if we get a little polish here.

This anti-aliasing leads me directly to the 4K mode. I was actually suprised that i can select this mode with my 1080p TV. As i turned into this mode i saw a significant change regarding the aliasing. The picture looks very calm and all the edges are very smooth. I think the game renders als 1440p or 1800p and scales the whole picture down to 1080p which gives a great anti-aliasing effect (supersampling). You dont have the benefits from the other modes but the picture looks very smooth. Sadly I noticed that this mode seems to be very demanding for my ps4 pro as the fan turned louder and louder (to original max ps4 niveau). The console was way more quiet in the enriched mode so i decided to turn back into enriched visuals mode.

I didnt thought this would appear but its quite hard to make fix decision between these mode as they all have there advantages and disadvantages. In terms of visuals I personally like the improvements of the enriched visuals mode (except the radical shadow soften thing) but I would like to have at least a little anti-aliasing effect in there to make the picture more calm. The 4K mode has a very strong anti aliasing effect but none of the other improvements, which would be ok if the fan wouldnt get so loud...

I was actually afraid that this conflict between 4kmode and enriched mode could come up. I guess for consoles its better to just make one performance and one quality mode because if you make 2 completly different quality modes (one with high anti aliasing and one without any) its hard to decide. On pc you can at least pick something between.

Take it as my personal impressions, maybe you'll make the same experience. All in all I love the ps4 pro version!

Vesemir271
22nd Nov 2016, 07:46
maybe some of you are interessted in some more details about the ps4 pro features..

first off - everything runs fine - no idea why others complain about crashes. I did a clean install and downloaded my savefile from the psn cloud. Im playing on a Sony 1080p HD TV.

i started a new game and noticed that its possible to change these modes any time you want. even while cutscenes.

First i tested the high framerate mode - I really had a "wow" effect cause the game runs very smoothly and controls feels much more directly. The picture feels more calm. Somehow it also feels a little artificial and the game looses a little bit of its cinematic atmosphere but if you prefer performance you'll get what you want.

Then I tested the enriched visuals mode. The biggest thing you'll notice are the changes of the vegetation. I would describe it as more voluminous and little color changes. Also there is much more movement in all the green. The picture gets very busy as the green moves constantly. A mix between quit and windy scenes would round this up a little. Some little extra bushes in distance as the level of detail increase. Also the texture filtering gives better texture quality in the distance. Some textures "change" a little but its no "wow" effect - all in all its sometimes hard to say if the enviroment gets better or just changes alittle bit (textures).
Lara itself has no noticable upgrades except the "cinematic" hair. When playing with the options you see that something about the hair changes - imo its looked more detailed in the other modes - still not sure whats the actual improvement at this point.
A big bummer for me was the "shadow soften". It could look quite nice when "longer" shadows are softer which is really realistic but the game softens all shadows - also the short ones which it not realistic. Very thin shadows actually nearly disappear as they get softened. This feature isnt as great as it should be. Shorter shadows should be sharper and more detailed and longer shadows should be soft.
I also noticed a enhanced "field of deepth" effect which is kinda nice. Its softens the distance but it no replacement for some anti-aliasing.
The biggest issue in this mode is the aliasing. As the enviroment moves much more the picture gets more bussy and you'll notice alot of aliasing and pixels especially around bushes. (same in the high framerate mode and same to the original ps4 version). I was expecting at least a little anti aliasing in the enriched mode to compensate this busy picture and to make it more calm. I would appreciate if we get a little polish here.

This anti-aliasing leads me directly to the 4K mode. I was actually suprised that i can select this mode with my 1080p TV. As i turned into this mode i saw a significant change regarding the aliasing. The picture looks very calm and all the edges are very smooth. I think the game renders als 1440p or 1800p and scales the whole picture down to 1080p which gives a great anti-aliasing effect (supersampling). You dont have the benefits from the other modes but the picture looks very smooth. Sadly I noticed that this mode seems to be very demanding for my ps4 pro as the fan turned louder and louder (to original max ps4 niveau). The console was way more quiet in the enriched mode so i decided to turn back into enriched visuals mode.

I didnt thought this would appear but its quite hard to make fix decision between these mode as they all have there advantages and disadvantages. In terms of visuals I personally like the improvements of the enriched visuals mode (except the radical shadow soften thing) but I would like to have at least a little anti-aliasing effect in there to make the picture more calm. The 4K mode has a very strong anti aliasing effect but none of the other improvements, which would be ok if the fan wouldnt get so loud...

I was actually afraid that this conflict between 4kmode and enriched mode could come up. I guess for consoles its better to just make one performance and one quality mode because if you make 2 completly different quality modes (one with high anti aliasing and one without any) its hard to decide. On pc you can at least pick something between.

Take it as my personal impressions, maybe you'll make the same experience. All in all I love the ps4 pro version!

You did not have any problems while playing on FHD TV I guess, I have 4K and it is impossible to play. I guess it has do something with the graphic options, cause when i re-installed ROTTR without any patches it did not crashed, however i was not able to change any graphic modes