PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Windows ME: is this wise?

TRoosevelt_26
13th Jul 2002, 03:58
Ohkay, ever since I got that virus out of my system the computer has been acting weird. Thief's movies now won't play (that was fixed ages ago!!), settings are wrong, these pages won't auto-refresh, etc.

So...

What do you think? I need this computer as clean and bug-free as possible for college, so would it be wise (or, at least, not too bad) if I burned everything I want to save (which is everything) onto CDs, reinstalled Windows ME on my system, and put everything back on. Then all I would have to do is install a bunch of things I've downloaded (I always save the .EXE files, so I'll just move those to a CD so I can reinstall without redownloading), move the folders back from the CDs into their proper places, and be good to go, with no bugs or funny (strange funny) things happening.

Should I? Could anything go terribly wrong? Because I just don't feel like my computer is back to normal after that virus. Either there is more than one virus, or it is acting really weird or getting aftereffects or something...

Komag
13th Jul 2002, 06:55
I've done exactly what you described, but it wasn't with WinME (I think it was 98) - It worked okay, but I forgot a couple things to backup and that sucked (lost all my archived e-mail for one!), but mostly I had everything on 5 cds that I needed. Just be super careful to not forget stuff and you should be fine. Try to pretend you already erased everything and imagine what you'll need, such as DRIVERS for your CD-ROM drive!!!

Apache
13th Jul 2002, 06:58
I 'd so yeah..but you can re-install ME over itself and fix any probs you may be having..thats what i did

Thorin Oakenshield
13th Jul 2002, 09:27
I'd do what you suggest. Take note of what Komag said, Then format the sucker:D
Install Norton/Other AV software and scan the files on your cd's to be on the safe side:)

TRoosevelt_26
13th Jul 2002, 15:19
Ha! After re- and un-installing RealPlayer, reinstalling the Indeo 5 co/dec twice and running a NortonAV full scan last night (and following Peter's advice to fix auto-refresh), everything on my PC works correctly. So I will not be reinstalling ME at present unless other troubling things crop up. *whew* TR26 breathes a sigh of relief and sneaks back into Lord Bumfrey's mansion.

Fafhrd
16th Jul 2002, 13:42
I don't know, I've never found tweaking like that more than a temporary fix myself - you just can't beat a clean reinstall to get any crap you may have downloaded, didn't like, and removed that still has pieces of itself around out... not to mention other games/apps that may not uninstall cleanly.

I'll see how win2k is on needing a reinstall - with 98, I was able to stretch it out to only needing it once every 2-3 months (that increased when I started grad school, since I wasn't using the computer as much too), with 95, it was every 3-4 weeks...

bravus
16th Jul 2002, 16:43
I guess the only other thing I'd say is, if you can afford it (I can't!), it might be valuable to see if you can pick up Win2k or XP, if your machine will handle it - WinME is probably one of the more broken operating systems out there. The reinstall would be good, but a better OS would be even better. I'd even prefer Win98SE (which I use at home, Win2k at work) over WinME.

But to get to your actual question, a format and reinstall is *much* better, though harder, than a reinstall over the top, because it gets rid of the registry and rebuilds it. If the registry is borked - or even messy from things that don't clean up after themselves when uninstalled - reinstalling over the top won't fix that.

And yes, from bitter experience, making a boot-disk with CD drivers *before* formatting is a Good Thing!

Bravus

TRoosevelt_26
16th Jul 2002, 16:52
So should I get 98SE? I do have access to it, and some of my stuff (two Jane's Combat Simulations) won't run on ME. The only thing I really hate to lose is the eight-second startup, but I can live with that...I guess...

bravus
16th Jul 2002, 17:19
If it were me, I would. I hope a few other people will pitch in with their suggestions!

Not eight seconds, but by limiting what starts up and runs in the system tray, you should be able to get a pretty quick startup on a quick machine...

Bravus

stikboy
16th Jul 2002, 17:26
Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26
So should I get 98SE?

If you can't get ahold of 2K or XP, YES!!!!!!

Heck, even DOS is a step up from ME :eek: Of course, this is my biased opinion, and I have heard of (one) person running ME without a problem. But I think they were just using it to check email ;) :D

yubetcha
16th Jul 2002, 18:03
I also use WIN98SE on mine at home, Win ME on my wife's, and Win2k at work. I would prefer SE or 2K over M.E. any day.
BTW, 98SE was put on my new computer two years ago, and thanks to Norton's SystemWorks, I still haven't had to reinstall 98SE yet to this day, not even once.

TRoosevelt_26
16th Jul 2002, 19:45
Okay, it looks like the verdict is in...I'll see about switching in the near future. Thanks for all the unprejudiced, objective analysis. :D

Fafhrd
17th Jul 2002, 14:28
I'm actually "dual-booting" my 2k machine with 98se (heh, my other 2 computers dual boot slackware with 95 and dos, respectively). I'm definitely thinking of installing my more intesive games (ie neverwinter nights and warcraft 3) under 98 since it boots up VERY fast now that it no longer has to load things like ICQ or whatever else puts itself into the background at startup.

maybe just (for me) go for 2k for applications and 98 for games or some such.
I was going to do xp (my school has a deal with MS that we can buy it for something like $5, one copy only though) but I uncovered a 2k disc my roommate gave me ages ago, and that seems to work well enough.

If you're looking for more boot up speed, 98 is probably the way to go, since 2k is more security/network oriented, so loads more.