PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the SPOILER option?

theBlackman
13th Jul 2002, 00:27
Is my memory failing? ( it could be) but was there not a Spoiler option in the message options that used the Font color:x background-color:x formula for spoiler insertion and saved you-me-us the need to type the formula in.

Or did I just imagine it?:confused:

Stile451
13th Jul 2002, 01:18
This is a hack that they use at TTLG. It would be a nice option, maybe to be brought up with the Management.

Peter_Smith
13th Jul 2002, 03:29
I think it is a nice "option," but I think they really overdo it at TTLG. It is an unwritten rule there that if you disclose any information about a mission, it must be in "hidden blue." It is a real pain to read threads there - you have to keep highlighting everything. I believe that if you ask for help, then you are likely to get it, and you probably will want to read it -- all of it. And if you are reading about someone else's mission help, then you can expect that mission help will be discussed. Seems logical enough to me.:)

Anyway, if they do it here, I hope the color is a little less obtrusive and people do not get too hung up on it.

Tin Star
13th Jul 2002, 05:18
Very well said Peter I agree anyone that ask to be helped on a mission will get only as much as they ask for so that they can go on with the mission.

Tin Star:)

Komag
13th Jul 2002, 06:32
Yeah, but spoiler color is good for little spoilers here and there that weren't asked for. I have NO IDEA how difficult it would be to implement though, so if it's a lot of work then I don't mind not having it :)

theBlackman
13th Jul 2002, 07:05
Thanks guys. Now that you mention it Peter, it must have been at TTLG and you are correct. The excessive use is annoying, and as you say, if the thread says "help" then you should expect information.

Nightwalker
13th Jul 2002, 14:01
One of the main reasons I like to see the spoiler code used a lot at TTLG on the FM forum is for the future. Everything there is archived, so people are encouraged to use the search function to find their answers on older missions. With the spoiler cover, they can safely search through all the posts, looking for the answer to their question without finding out a lot of other stuff that they REALLY didn't want to know just yet. Some of those threads would amount to the same thing as reading a walkthrough for the mission. Look at the ones for CL. Every question you can imagine and some you probably couldn't was asked and answered in those threads. It's a minor inconvenience when reading some of them, just for information, but to be fair, it only takes a second to highlight the hidden section and read on, right?

That's my point of view, anyway. :)

Lytha
13th Jul 2002, 14:55
Hm... it may be that my monitor is really bad (or my eyes), but for me the spoiler code at TTLG means that I have to move very close to the monitor to make out the words before the background. The colours are just too similar on my screen.

And often I even have to copy and paste the stuff into a normal texteditor to see what the "spoiler" was about. And that takes definitely too long. That was extremely annoying at first, before the code worked with opera too.

Especially when there is not a single indicator about what this "spoiler" is. Take as example all the stuff in the CL threads. No single indicator if you are talking about the problem that I am encountering at the moment or about anything different.

So people end up highlight (and stress the eyes) for the entire thread anyway.

Just my two cents.

Nightwalker
13th Jul 2002, 15:54
Tha'ts very strange, Lytha! When I highlight the blue portions, the lettering is very easy to read. Having to go to all the trouble to read it would be a pain. I don't know anything about the technical side of things, so I don't know if there's any way to fix that for you. Maybe you could e-mail MsLedd? She might have some ideas.

Spitter
13th Jul 2002, 16:19
I've heard that other Opera users have had similar problems as you, Lytha, with the TTLG spoiler tags. I'm not terribly sure, however, since I'm using IE.

Stile451
13th Jul 2002, 21:00
Lytha, go to File>Preferences>Page Style

Under User Mode uncheck Page Style Sheet, My Fonts and Colors, and My Style Sheet. Check Page Fonts and Colors, My Link Style, and Tables. Hit Apply.

Next time you come across a spoiler you want to read click on the icon that looks like a piece of paper under the back button. Click the icon again to go back to normal.

<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Spoiler:</FONT><SPAN STYLE="background-color:#000080"><FONT color="#000080">
Hope This Helps</FONT></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lytha
13th Jul 2002, 21:42
Thank you Salvage. I have a different version of Opera (maybe I should upgrade it again... upgrading is so annoying though), but you nudged me into the correct direction.

My user mode is now plain text. :)

By the way, your tutorial about automaps is really helpful! Amazing how handscribbled the map looks after it was modified with gimp. :)

Stile451
13th Jul 2002, 22:09
Whoops, didn't think of any version other than 6.03.

Glad you like the tut, it took me a long time to get it to work out right(trial & error, y'know).