PDA

View Full Version : Update on Wifes medical

theBlackman
13th Jul 2002, 00:14
For those of you who offered sympathy in Yubetcha's thread, here is an update.

For the rest, ignore the boring details.
<font style=color:white;background-color:white> Adrianne had surgery for bone cancer on Friday last.

During a 13 hour operation, they removed 4 inches of her left mandible (lower jaw,) and reconstructed it with a piece of bone from her hip and some skin from her thigh.

She is doing well and may come home tomorrow. She is breathing with a trache tube, and must be fed liquids via a nasal catheter.

She is having little pain, and the prognosis is good. It will be some weeks before she will be engaging in more than light activity. At the moment her attitude is good, although not being able to speak is a bit frustrating. </font>

So I hope you will bear with me if my appearance here is spotty.

Thanks for your earlier encouragement and good wishes.

Nightwalker
13th Jul 2002, 00:29
It must be a very difficult time for both of you. I hope she has a very speedy recovery and that this stressful time is soon nothing more than a distant memory.

BrokenArts
13th Jul 2002, 00:38
tBM,

You and your family, are in my thoughts and prayers, <small> OK I said the *P* word</small>
I am glad Adrianne, is on her way to recovering, and I hope it continues. :) Glad her prognosis is good. Keep us posted.

clayman
13th Jul 2002, 01:20
You will both be in my thoughts. :)

TRoosevelt_26
13th Jul 2002, 02:02
And in my prayers.

Whatz His Name
13th Jul 2002, 02:18
I am thinking of your family also. Your family has all my best wishes.

Peter_Smith
13th Jul 2002, 03:52
Best wishes to both of you, theBlackman. I am sorry Adrianne has been sick, but I am very glad that the prognosis is good. Hang in there. I know these situations can be tough.

howie
13th Jul 2002, 04:43
Give your wife a kiss for me blackman.

Huntress
13th Jul 2002, 06:14
prognosis is encourging and that in time it will go better for her albit a difficult time to readjust to the changes that have occured because of this. With you there to help comfort her, I'm sure that will help much as well. Hopefully, you'll get the help you need as well to see her through this time.

My Daughter was able to come up with me for a few days and that is a blessing to keep me on my toes :D She will leave next Wednesday but tomorrow she and I will go to Antioch to see David and family.

My best wishes as always for you and yours. P.

Apache
13th Jul 2002, 06:17
I wish you the best and know that everything will turn out all right..To a speedy recovery.

Speedy[143]
13th Jul 2002, 19:31
That's wonderful news tBm and with your upbeat attitude Adrianne can only benifit from the good care you'll be giving her... my prayers are with you both and your families... since she won't be talking for a bit perhaps a journal/diary would be a lovely way for her to channel some of that frustration:)

God bless!!!!

XXXOOO
Speedy

Zaccheus
13th Jul 2002, 21:15
Hey, Dusty, sorry to hear about your wife's condition.
You are in our prayers.

I'm glad the operation went so well. It's amazing what they can do these days.

My wife &amp; I will be thinking of you both.
:)

ChowYunFat
13th Jul 2002, 21:23
You & your wife are in my prayers too, theBlackman. It's good to know that the prognosis is so good &, as someone else said above, it's really amazing what they can do today. Good health to you both.

Squid
13th Jul 2002, 21:58
Best wishes and thoughts from the both of us over here, theBlackman. Here's hoping that her recovery is quick and painless.

Squid & Lochnessa

RiCh
14th Jul 2002, 14:13
tBM, I wish your wife a speedy recovery, and I hope she’s back in your arms soon. You have my best wishes!

Lytha
14th Jul 2002, 19:14
It is good to hear that the surgery went well! I hope she recovers quickly. Please giver her a hug from me too.

Hawklette
14th Jul 2002, 22:45
My best to both of you and please keep us informed. Take good care of your lady. :D

LeatherMan
15th Jul 2002, 03:23
My wife and I wish you both well in this difficult time. May your Builder see her through to good health.

littlek
15th Jul 2002, 15:52
Glad to hear the good news. :) Keep us posted.

*m*
15th Jul 2002, 19:31
tbm, you don't know me (I snuck over from the Tomb Raider forums) but I just wanted to wish you and your wife well and that I will pray for her too.

And...am I the only one who can't see the writing in your first post?

:confused:

*edit*
OK, now I can see it (thanks for the PM tbm).

Bat-mite
15th Jul 2002, 20:06
*m*,

Hilight the white area to see what it says.

tBM,

My prayers go out for you and your wife as well. Sometimes pain opens our eyes, makes us more appreciative, and draws us closer to the ones we love. I hope she recovers and that all of the above has happened for both of you. Take care.

Saturnine
15th Jul 2002, 20:10
Oh man I really should come here more often, I feel so guilty but this is the first I've heard of any of this :(

Please give Adrianne my best wishes for a speedy recovery, and you hang in there too k?

~Dave.

stikboy
15th Jul 2002, 20:19
My thoughts are with you both tBM. I know, that with a good attitude and loving support, recovery will be faster. I wish you both well.

Catman
15th Jul 2002, 20:29
tBm: Just happened by -- like *m*, I don't know you, but I want to extend my best wishes for your wife and you. As one who's been in your position, I also want to say: Take care of yourself. That's one of the best things you can do for her.

RicknMel
15th Jul 2002, 20:42
Sorry to hear about all this tBM. Sounds promising though. You and yours will be in my thoughts.
Catman is right.....sometimes the best thing you can do....is just be you. :)

Xcom
15th Jul 2002, 20:42
My best wishes!

Northren
15th Jul 2002, 21:42
Sounds like the worst is over. I hope she has a quick and safe recovery.

Northren pats tBm on the back.

Hang in there.

yubetcha
16th Jul 2002, 11:01
I'm glad that she's getting better, tBM. I lost both of my parents to Cancer, so I know how threatening it can be, and the turbulence it causes. Hopefully the worst is behind you both.

theBlackman
19th Jul 2002, 02:02
I could thank you all individually, but hope you understand that I do not intend to slight anyone with this collective response.

Those of you who sent emails, get a little extra sugar with the thank you. All of you, friends and yet to be friends, are what make this forum home to me, and I'm sure, many others.

Thank you.

Adrianne is recovering nicely. The Sutures were removed yesterday, the prognosis is good and the incision line(s) are barely visible.

She is still eating with a Nasal tube, but has started feeding herself, and is up and around a little. Enough, anyway that she can compute 15 or 20 minutes now and then and can walk (hobble actually) to the patio to get a little sun.

She is managing to speak (weakly) a word or two by blocking the trach tube with a finger. We see the Respiritory doctor tomorrow, and he may remove the trach. I think not but it is a possiblity.

The overall prognosis is that there will be no further problem with the Cancer. The question mark has to do with the nerves on the left side of her mouth. All the mouth interior , tongue, tissues etc, except the lining on the left lower jaw, are intact and unaffected.

The left side has been rebuilt and is healing nicely. So the only guess part is will the nerves take so she does not have a lazy lip on the left.

This is probably more than you want to know, but thanks again for your encouragement and support.

Huntress
19th Jul 2002, 04:09
outlined it so we can have a better understanding of how things are going for the both of you :) That's excellent news about the interior of her mouth and yes, I'm sure we all will be hoping for the very best results for the exterior and refunctioning of her nerves in that area. <i>Huntress has all her fingers and toes crossed</i> Guess she'll be going through some speech therapy in the near future as well...now you can get her a really pretty handmirror as a gift to aid her in this process :) along with a pretty bunch of flowers....heh heh...any excuse to receive a gift ya know ;) Please tell her I wish her continued success with her recovery and I'll be thinking of you. Ta and Good Hunting!

GMan
19th Jul 2002, 04:27
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, tBm. I wish the best for Adrianne and you, and hope the rehab is as smooth and productive as possible. You must have gone through a lot these past couple of weeks. I hope it turns out well.

Zaccheus
19th Jul 2002, 12:12
That's really good news, theBlackman.
:)

ChristineS
19th Jul 2002, 16:24
Best wishes to you and your wife, theBlackman. I lost my father on cancer and I'm glad to hear your wife is getting better :)