PDA

View Full Version : Forum artist's beware

howie
12th Jul 2002, 21:28
Hi guys! This is my first offical new topic on the new forum. I have a new e-mail address but am scared to change it on the forum because of the fact I might disappear completely.

To the topic:

I now have web space on my browser and Apache helped me get the ftp program running so I can enter images from home. Question: What good & free image editing program do you'all recommend so I create my own junk for posting goofy images on the forum. Anything I can download from the net will be fine.

<small> Warning:
If you don't tell me I'll start using Mircosofts paint program and then you'll get the real treat of my artsy skills. :D </small>

stikboy
12th Jul 2002, 21:37
Kinda free :)

Paint Shop Pro is a very good image editor. Problem is, it's about $100.00 or so. But you can download a trial version from www.jasc.com It's a 30 day no limit trial, and there is a way to just keep re-installing it, but you'll have to ask Rick about that. I actually bought my copy :p :)

howie
12th Jul 2002, 21:52
Originally posted by stikboy
Kinda free :)

Paint Shop Pro is a very good image editor. Problem is, it's about $100.00 or so. But you can download a trial version from www.jasc.com It's a 30 day no limit trial, and there is a way to just keep re-installing it, but you'll have to ask Rick about that. I actually bought my copy :p :)

hehe....rick you naughty boy. Vanguards gonna have you for lunch now! :D

Thanks for the info stikboy.

<small>Note to self: Send this post to Paint Shop Pro legal department. [Just kidding Rick :p]

theBlackman
13th Jul 2002, 00:04
Originally posted by howie
Hi guys! This is my first offical new topic on the new forum. I have a new e-mail address but am scared to change it on the forum because of the fact I might disappear completely.

To the topic:

I now have web space on my browser and Apache helped me get the ftp program running so I can enter images from home. Question: What good & free image editing program do you'all recommend so I create my own junk for posting goofy images on the forum. Anything I can download from the net will be fine.

<small> Warning:
If you don't tell me I'll start using Mircosofts paint program and then you'll get the real treat of my artsy skills. :D </small>

Checkout www.pcplus.co.uk They have 3 or 4 FREE imaging programs available. Use the Download list in the top left center of the header for the page.

Then scroll the 30 or so progrmas that are there. There are Animation, Photo, Imaging etc programs that are free for Download.

Magenta II is a good one.

Stile451
13th Jul 2002, 01:43
Gimp (http://w0w.wingimp.org/download.php) is freeware ported from Linux. It has almost all of the features of other editing software(including a large amount of filters). It can save into almost every format that you would ever want to including video(although I haven't figured it out yet).

Having used both Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro I'd say that Gimp is just as good.

It's available for Linux/Unix, OS/2, Macintosh, and Windows.

The interface(all in right click) can be a little confusing at first, but it gives quick access to everything you would ever want.

RicknMel
13th Jul 2002, 01:45
'tis true I started with the freebie dowload demo of PSP 7......
'tis true I stated I could just keep re-installing it every month if I wanted to....
'tis true I've even seen "patches" you can download to by-pass the 30 day limit.....

But..........'tis also true that I now have a full install of PSP 7.......nothing sneaksie about it. I just had so much fun with the demo....and didn't feel like re-installing every month......I just had to get my own copy of it! :p

But to answer your question Howie.....definatly get PSP 7...or at least the demo. You'll prolly get hooked like I did. :)

TRoosevelt_26
13th Jul 2002, 01:54
Yes! use PSP. I have found it the best overall graphics editing tool available for what I want to do with it (a lot).

Muzman
13th Jul 2002, 04:26
Does PSP have pressure support yet? That was always a sad omission.

howie
13th Jul 2002, 04:59
I guess I'll try the PSP 7. Tips and tricks for using this thing ?

Huntress
13th Jul 2002, 06:26
pressure support??? Can you explain in 15 words or less :D I do use PSP although limitedly as I just use it for personal stuff, nothing extensive but I find it pretty easy to use overall but has many features I'll never even use since I don't do anything professionally with it...but if you do, there are many features offered. Just play around with it and it does have a pretty good help/tips included. Have fun, like ricknmel says, you can really get hooked on it with all the creativity you can let loose ;) Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Zaccheus
13th Jul 2002, 08:27
I guess I'll try the PSP 7. Tips and tricks for using this thing ?

With paint shop pro you really have to
READ THE HELP FILES!
:D

PSP is very powerful but it is not very intuitive.
It took me a while to figure out how to draw a line (no joke).
But once you get the hang of it, it's fantastic!
We use it at work all the time.

THEthief
13th Jul 2002, 20:54
Originally posted by RicknMel

But to answer your question Howie.....definatly get PSP 7...or at least the demo. You'll prolly get hooked like I did. :)
Here, here!! :)

PSP is very powerful but it is not very intuitive.
It took me a while to figure out how to draw a line (no joke).
But once you get the hang of it, it's fantastic!
We use it at work all the time.

Yea, I know!! :rolleyes: I couldn't even crop a pic with the darn thing for quite some time. :o And I'm still having trouble with certain aspects. :D (I guess that's what I get for never having read the manuals, *ahem*)
But, with what I CAN do, I love it (and I'm learning more, all the time)!! :D

Muzman
14th Jul 2002, 10:34
Originally posted by Huntress
pressure support??? Can you explain in 15 words or less

Push real pen, brush hard: thicker line. Effect replicable in Photoshop, Painter with these (http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/products.cfm?sku=GD68).

Huntress
14th Jul 2002, 11:20
Guess you'd use that in something like a presentation utility?

howie
14th Jul 2002, 13:27
I got a copy of Paint Shop Pro 6.0. Is there much difference in the 7.0 program ? The help menu really sucks with 6.0. I don't understand most of the terminology they use in this menu and reading the glossary is like watching mud dry on a rainy day.

How do you cut and paste an image from one picture to another with this thing ? And, how do you keep the images from re-sizing themselves and taking up the whole screen ? [As it seems to do this at will and there is no back button to get out of it.] I've dumped the program through the manager so many times I've worn out the keys. HELP!

BrokenArts
14th Jul 2002, 13:41
Note to self..............watch Howie....he may be trying to become new artist around here, trying out for job at T2X.;) :p :D
Good luck Howie! Just take time to get to know the programs. They can be frustrating, you'll get it.

Muzman
14th Jul 2002, 13:53
You could use it for that I guess, but it's for anything really.
Stuff like this for example (definately not done by me):
http://www.goodbrush.com/hirez_pgs/sketches/sketch10/chun_li.htm
http://www.goodbrush.com/hirez_pgs/concept/concept6/waterfall.htm
http://www.goodbrush.com/hirez_pgs/concept/concept4/robot.htm

howie
14th Jul 2002, 13:55
I'm downloading Salvages suggestion, WinGimp -- maybe it'll be more compatible with me. Most of Paint Shop Pro program looks good, however, it's worthless to me since I don't understand the parts I want to use. I'm gonna try this other one and see how it goes.

Muzman
14th Jul 2002, 15:18
graphics programs typically imitate Photoshop in all things. Or if they date further back then they, like photoshop, try to imitate the tools of photolabs and graphic design studios. So they're usually all very similar.

howie
14th Jul 2002, 21:41
Ok, I'm getting better understanding the program. I found my problem; inverting the selection helped in cropping an image from another picture.

I made two pictures into one, but now I have another problem, size, 984 KB. :eek: How do I get the image KB down to usable forum size ? Or is this ok ? The image is 640 X 480; how do I get this size down ?

Stile451
14th Jul 2002, 22:27
I open the file in IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/main3.html) and under the image pull down menu go to count colors used, remember that number(or somewhere close). Then go to the image pull down menu again and go to Decrease Color Depth. Get it to the lowest possible amount of colors without having the image look crappy(try 60 and lower, the lower the amount of colors the less detail, but also smaller file size).

Save as either gif or png, being sure to go to options on the save screen, for png set compression to 9. I'm not sure about gif. If you have transparency you need to use gif because Internet Explorer doesn't support transparency in png(plus, Irfanview doesn't support it either).

You should be able to get the size under 300k for something that large, depending on the original file type.

howie
15th Jul 2002, 00:46
http://www.wcnet.org/~howie/killer%20howie.jpg

Fingers crossed i did this right.

This is one of those smashed AI I found when a custom menu got jammed in darkloader. Darkloader 4.1 fixed the custom stuff getting stuck in the thief folder so I doubt I'll ever be able to find another one of these things.

Edit - Oh and thanks Salvage. I couldn't have done it with out the help. :)

bravus
15th Jul 2002, 03:31
I'll just add recommendations for both The Gimp (note definite article) and Paint Shop Pro. I have a version of PSP that was bundled with HotDog, my favourite web editing software, and use it all the time. But for a genuinely freeware, open source solution, The Gimp rules. It too isn't super-intuitive, but it is super-powerful, and has very good documentation too. I'd strongly recommend it in its own right, and even more strongly recommend it ahead of pirating PSP - those coders did great work, and deserve to get paid.

See ya,

Bravus

PS I suspect that magazine cover disks and so on may well have freeware copies of older versions of PSP, or you may find some on the net. Probably version 5 or before, but adequate to your purposes and free. Warning: this statement based on vague recollection. ;)

Edit: Here's a link to version 4, from the days when it was true shareware.
http://www.pagetutor.com/dl/psp412.html

That is, like Winzip, it says you have 30 days to try it, then you should pay to register or else uninstall, but it doesn't actually stop working after 30 days. This is a little different from what I thought, and isn't completely free (except practically), but there may also be bits about being free to full time students and so on - haven't read the EULA in years... Anyway, between this trial, the 30 day trial on version 7, and The Gimp, you should be spoiled for choice - and there are other solutions as well!

Stile451
15th Jul 2002, 08:14
This is one of those smashed AI I found when a custom menu got jammed in darkloader. Darkloader 4.1 fixed the custom stuff getting stuck in the thief folder so I doubt I'll ever be able to find another one of these things.

Edit - Oh and thanks Salvage. I couldn't have done it with out the help. :)

You're welcome. Here's a smashed treebeast (http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/misc2/treebeast.htm)(Ent). This type of thing is easy to recreate in Dromed.

Oh, and that's the bar from my demo mission(a small inn to go with my maps tutorial). I had to make custom flames for the hanging candles. There's a problem with the ceiling, can you see what it is?

I think the room looks a bit boring, but I think I make up for it with the street and the top floor.

howie
15th Jul 2002, 19:36
You should kill that treebeast, make it into a chandelier with a few candles, and then that room won't be so boring. ;) On second thought; make it transform from clump of chandelier into the real thing -- that would really scare the bajesus out of somebody. :D

PS: Salvage. What anti-leech program do you recommend ? I'd ask Msledd but I haven't seen the gal in sometime. :( And remember my motto --->" free is always better than not free ".

Stile451
15th Jul 2002, 22:43
What do you mean by anti-leech? Like limiting the amount of downloads for a file or overall bandwidth? If so then I have no clue, maybe some sort of cgi.

If that's not what you're asking about then I don't understand.

Oh, I've decided to put in baseboards and trim into that room. Plus a game of darts may be occuring if I can figure the motions out. Maybe I can use a treendalier somewhere...

howie
16th Jul 2002, 02:51
I'm talking about a program that keeps people from looking in the root directory of your web space.

Stile451
16th Jul 2002, 05:03
Oh, no problem there, simply make an html file and name it index.html, put it in every directory where you don't want people snooping. The html file will be shown when someone tries to get into the directory.

For Example:
http://www.eidosinteractive.com
http://www.eidosinteractive.com/index.html

Peter_Smith
16th Jul 2002, 05:14
Yes, that's right. On the site where I post images and other stuff, I have an index.html in every folder that is solid black. You could could put a remark on the page like "Did I hear something? No.... It must've been rats." In any case, people would have to guess a file name to find it.

howie
17th Jul 2002, 03:19
Boy, that was a lot easier than I thought.

MsLedd
17th Jul 2002, 18:39
I'd ask Msledd but I haven't seen the gal in sometime. :( And remember my motto --->" free is always better than not free ". What, did you think I was gonna CHARGE you?!?
<small>(hmmm, interesting idea though... hehe)</small>

For future reference howie darlin' you can always email me, I don't bite (hard). :D

howie
18th Jul 2002, 05:34
I've got a better reply but I'd..... <small>shirley get thrown off the forum if I say. ......sssshhhhhhh....</small> ;)