PDA

View Full Version : Genuine Exclusivity Question

KyleLiddell
17th Oct 2016, 14:24
I have a question about an extremely touchy subject: the exclusivity deal. I mostly want to hear from the fans.

DISCLAIMER: I understand why everyone was pissed. I (somewhat) understand why everyone was willing to boycott Rise almost instantly. I DO NOT support the idea of exclusivity deals nor am I trying to defend them. I just have a question for all of the fans because MY reaction to the deal was the polar opposite to the majority of the fandom.

Most people said that they had already bought a PS4 and since Rise probably would never come to PS4, they would never get to play it. Essentially everyone was like "well I'm pissed now I'm not playing the game at all." Understandable. And had it been any other game, I would totally get it. However, I had originally intended to buy a PS4 but when the definitive edition of the reboot was announced I switched my system because every TR release after Underworld had some kind of benefit over other platforms (i.e. DLC for Underworld; earlier release for Guardian of Light; multiplayer maps available on Xbox first for the reboot). So when Rise was announced an Xbox exclusive, I can't say I was surprised. In fact I wasn't; at all. At that time I had already had an Xbox One, so I was more relieved than anything because I didn't have to scramble to get one.

This brings me to my reaction to the deal: had I not already owned an Xbox, I would have gotten one the minute I heard about this deal. If I couldn't afford one, I would have traded my PS4 in for an Xbox. Why? Because Tomb Raider is the only game that truly matters to me. Since the deal was announced, I've been extremely confused about this. If your favorite game isn't on your current console, then why do you need that console at all? I grew up with Playstation; my mom used to refer to herself as a "Sony Snob", however, when I noticed that my favorite game series was favoriting the other console, I ditched Playstation in a heart beat. I understand having a preference to a system, however, the system is just the medium through which you may access the game. So if your favorite game isn't on that system, then how does that system have any benefit to you?

All of the arguments in defense of the other platforms and the fandom I completely understand. I made those arguments as well. Maybe it's my fault. I probably blindly follow TR too much, but I never said the exclusivity was a good idea but I was also not willing to boycott or even wait for my favorite game series. Similar to Melonie Mac's reaction to the deal. She basically said it was a crappy situation but she was going to support TR in any way that she could.

That's where I am and I wanted to know the thought processes of everyone else and what factors did you consider when making the decision to wait. Was it other games? Was it money? Was it because you genuinely like Playstation that much?

Also, PLEASE be civil. I'm trying to have a discussion, not start an argument.

Tecstar70
17th Oct 2016, 15:01
Its a good question on a general level too. When Rise came out I didn't have a PS4 so it didn't affect me like it did others so its a tricky one as there isn't really a franchise like TR that appears exclusively on another console that appeals to me in the same way.

There are games that were on the PS4 that I would have liked to have played, but that fact that I couldn't meant I just accepted that and enjoyed the games I could play. I can only therefore talk from a hypothetical point of view as my system of choice is Xbox. If the situation was reversed would I have dumped the Xbox and bought a PS4? No, I honestly don't think I would have done as am too invested in the Xbox as a platform. If I had a PS4 back then I honestly believe I would have just put up with it. I would not have been happy about it, but I that's what I would have done. This is tempered by my absolute belief that it would always see the light of day on PS4, so if I did have a PS4 then it would have just been, for me at least, a matter of waiting so how people felt about The Deal may also have been affected by whether or not they believed it would come to PS4.

Now I also have a PS4 I don't have to worry about this kind of situation but I sincerely hope there isn't another exclusivity deal for TR. With the scores at 1-1 it might end up being Sony's turn again! :(

samplerInfo
17th Oct 2016, 21:44
For me it's not about the platforms. I couldn't care less really, as I agree with OP that I get the platform needed if I'm interested enough in a particular game, or series. But I won't do it for all the games out there, and although I loved the last TR one year of waiting is not enough to get me to buy an Xbox.

For me it's about the introduction of a practice of taking a game developed for several platforms, and simply delaying it for one or more of those so that one platform will get a market advantage.

One could argue that a delayed release is better than no release at all, but that's not really what's going on here, no matter if you view it from a consumer or developer standpoint. An exclusive game is usually developed in close collaboration with the platform owner (Halo, Uncharted, GodOfW, GearsOfW, Zelda etc) and both parties make sure that that particular system is used to its fullest potential. Marketing is done collaboratively, including exclusive events and so on. The developer doesn't need to care one bit about other systems' specs, release procedures etc and can focus 100% on that one platform. An Xbox owner might not be happy that Uncharted won't be out on their system, and vice versa, but the platform owner, the publisher, the developer, the game, and the gamers who own the platform, will all benefit from such a collaboration.

In the case of RotTR, it's completely different. A game was developed for several platforms, each platform taking time and resources. Producing a multi-platform game also generally means restricting the use of platform-specific features, instead of taking advantage of them, to end up with a platform-consistent product. When the game was done, or almost done, a big paycheck was handed to the publisher for NOT releasing the game on other platforms.

Naturally, nothing of this benefits the consumers in any way, on any of the platforms. And for the developer, sure, they may get money from it, but it also means less independence - and more power to the publisher and/or a specific platform owner.

As a developer I understand all parties involved. I can't really be upset with Microsoft for wanting console exclusivity, and I can't really be upset with S-E as a publisher for accepting a deal that basically gives them money for not doing anything. For the developers, well, the decision was not theirs and hopefully they got to see some of that money as well. But from a consumer standpoint I find this practice truly horrible, and I wouldn't want to support it either as a Xbox owner or a PS4 owner. And as a games developer, is this really how I'd like the future to be? Deal negotiations where we're discussing how much delay a certain amount of $ will buy a system owner? Give me a break.

Problem is I really want to play RotTR, and I want to support the producers, so I'm buying it anyway. This means I'm not using my wallet to vote in this case, but I cincerely hope that the flak we've been giving S-E and MS means this kind of deal won't become the new way of doing business in the games industry.

xTHORGALx
17th Oct 2016, 22:04
I probably blindly follow TR too much, but I never said the exclusivity was a good idea but I was also not willing to boycott or even wait for my favorite game series.
Just look at it from another point of view. What is important for you ? The game or the hardware ? For me the hardware doesn't really matter because i'm interested in a specific game and would like to play it no matter what.

Error96_
17th Oct 2016, 22:14
That's where I am and I wanted to know the thought processes of everyone else and what factors did you consider when making the decision to wait. Was it other games? Was it money? Was it because you genuinely like Playstation that much?

Also, PLEASE be civil. I'm trying to have a discussion, not start an argument.

I had the money to buy an Xbox and get the game day one but still I waited until the day it came to PS4. Despite TR being the most important game to me I still chose to get a PS4 shortly after deal announcement as I have always gone with PS. All the TR games have sold best on PS and the early platforms did so much in the 90's to build TR as a brand. We have got such an amazing PS TR fan community that for them to make a deal against that I perceive as real ingratitude towards our support. Many of us have been with TR on PlayStation for a very long time so if our community got dumped then I wouldn't jump ship. I don't want to get a TR game while others miss out or pay those playing tricks to spoil things for other fans.

CD did make a large mistake but there has been a change in head(s) of studio and we got some wonderful extras included on our 20th Anniversary version so I can look past it with clean slate and all. I have been supporting TR 20 years since TR1 on Saturn and hope to stay that way but I certainly would not follow if it went full exclusive against us. It is not a loyalty to PS as such but to the strong bond between TR and it's PS fan community over the years.

Telekill
17th Oct 2016, 22:22
TR has been a favorite series of mine since it started. Since it started I've always played it on Playstation except the GBA game, Prophecy.

I had noticed the leaning towards Xbox since Anniversary. Why release Anniversary on 360 but not PS3? Since then Xbox was always favored and because of that I let the series become less of a favorite over time. If you're going to treat your fanbase like a second class citizen, then they don't need me caring about their financial welfare.

Then with the exclusivity deal, I was livid. They truly had decided to piss in the face of their fans. I'm still livid about it. Had Rise (PS4) not been basically a gift, I'd be waiting to buy it used.

Square and CD won't have my buisness again until they pull their heads completely from their ass and show some good faith to us long time fans by announcing TR3 as a day one multiplat title; PS4, X1 and PC. Until then, any game with the Square and/or CD logo on it will be bought used. Since the deal, they've already lost out on more than $200 from me alone.

Valenka
17th Oct 2016, 23:41
I already had an Xbox One and a PS4 at the time of the exclusivity announcement. If I only had a PS4, I would have waited. I wouldn't buy a console just for one game.

Tihocan
18th Oct 2016, 00:34
For me, it's about cost. I have three kids and a bit of debt to manage, so going out to buy a console for one game does not sit well with me. Also, I'm a massive cheapskate.

My wife bought me a PS4 with my own bonus money, because "I know you're not going to do it for yourself, so surprise!" Otherwise, despite liking the PS4 much more for UI, friends with PS4s and title selection, I still couldn't commit because of TR.
Afterwards I told her that RotTR was only on XBone, and she said "well, ok, we'll get one of them too". Nope. Ok, well, maybe...

Then, I find out that the RotTR CE was Europe/NA only, and that effectively made the decision for me. I'm kinda used to Au being a second class citizen when it comes to games, but that was a bit too much. Bought it on the 360 just to play it, and to be honest it was enough.

suisari
18th Oct 2016, 13:51
"Decision to wait" lol
Not all of us can afford to go out and buy an Xbox One just for one game.
I, as you put it, "decided to wait" because I only have a PS4 and I'm not forking out $600 for a console for ONE GAME.
I was lucky to use my ex's 360 to play it so I didn't have to "decide to wait" although I still "decided to wait" for the proper version of the game because of money hungry people.

For me, it's about cost. I have three kids and a bit of debt to manage, so going out to buy a console for one game does not sit well with me. Also, I'm a massive cheapskate.

My wife bought me a PS4 with my own bonus money, because "I know you're not going to do it for yourself, so surprise!" Otherwise, despite liking the PS4 much more for UI, friends with PS4s and title selection, I still couldn't commit because of TR.
Afterwards I told her that RotTR was only on XBone, and she said "well, ok, we'll get one of them too". Nope. Ok, well, maybe...

Then, I find out that the RotTR CE was Europe/NA only, and that effectively made the decision for me. I'm kinda used to Au being a second class citizen when it comes to games, but that was a bit too much. Bought it on the 360 just to play it, and to be honest it was enough.

I can relate being from AU myself.

rafaelmendes23
18th Oct 2016, 14:37
If TR is the only game that you're interested on, then yeah... You buy the console where it releases first (lol), but if that's not the case, then they $%&# you up.
When I buy a console, I buy it for the entire games library, not for just one game. I won't buy a console, if there is only one game that interests me in one console and 2 or 3 on the other, I would chose the latter, obviously.
And not everyone can afford to buy both.

It was a #$&#$ move, and for me, they lost my respect. I'll only buy RotTR on second hand or very cheap.

Charlie_T_Raider
18th Oct 2016, 14:52
I have PC and PS4 so to buy an Xbox would end up buying a console for one game. After how long the series has been on PS/PC if CD treated the fans so badly to make a permanent deal for a game on Xbox I don't think I would want to support CD after that.

WinterSoldierLTE
18th Oct 2016, 16:36
I've never bought a console for one game and never will. I'm a PS guy because I have always gotten my money's worth from them. My original model PS2 still works flawlessly to this day. I had gotten a PS4 a few months before the announcement of 'Rise' and had no issue whatsoever in waiting for 'Rise'. And the deal didn't even really bother me until maybe this last February. I thought it was some 'ol BS but I never once clenched a fist in anger. I wil admit I did have one moment of weakness when I came across a 360 for slae used for less than $100 USD but the math on buying that plus the cost of 'Rise' itself and having no interest whatsoever in any other games for the 360 (that I don't already have on PS3) squashed that pretty quick.

I've always understood the deal. It's a business thing. It's still a stupid move, IMO, but I get it. How was it not? Re-boot TR after a couple of years of hardcore fans saying "That looks crap! That's not TR!" after the first images and trailers released, then release the game to great acclaim from fans having won 85% (rough guestimate) of them over with it, sell shedloads of copies of it, then cut off and burn half of your audience with its follow up. Yeah, brilliant strategy there. And let's not forget how 'L.C.T.O.O.' suffered because of that as well. No one is going to convince me that 'L.C.T.O.O.' would not have sold better had it been released before the deal was announced.

Ranting over. But yeah, never bought a console to play 1 game, never will. The damned things are too expensive to justify it to myself to do so. I've got bills to pay, a girlfriend and her children to entertain, and all that jazz. And I hope the same thing does not happen again. Especially when the PS4.5 is released or even the already rumored PS5 in a couple of years.

EDIT: And here I am, hardcore TR fan who patiently waited for 'Rise'. Did I get it on release day? No. I finally made time to buy it just yesterday. How far into it am I? Haven't touched the campaign. I fired it up to get the 100k free credits and check to see if the DLC was in fact on the disc and that's it. Ordinarily I'd have carved out time for it. Now I realize I genuinely don't have enough interest in it to do so and only bought it yesterday because I 1) had the time to go look for it, and 2) had that "Oh, it's a TR game. I'm a TR fan, I need that on my shelf" feeling and that's it. At this point I'm in no rush to play it at all.

Congratulations, CD. I waited patiently for so long I just lost interest.

maryjblige
18th Oct 2016, 18:27
I had noticed the leaning towards Xbox since Anniversary. Why release Anniversary on 360 but not PS3? Since then Xbox was always favored and because of that I let the series become less of a favorite over time.

It was already on PS2 and PSP. The former was backwards compatible on the old PS3 model. You could also say they were leaning towards Nintendo since a Wii version was announced before the 360 version. Since Anniversary was originally announced for PS2, PSP and PC, it didn't make sense not to have a 360 and Wii version because Legend was on it (well Gamecube for Nintendo's case but that's backwards compatible on the Wii). They should have put it on the PS3 then, but at least they did with the trilogy I guess.

In regards to OP's question, it didn't affect me personally as I was planning on getting both platforms. I already have an X1 now, going to get a PS4 later next year. There's plenty of games on both platforms I like.

I guess for most people it's a matter of money and people get the platform that they like most games on, even if perhaps their favourite game isn't on it. I wouldn't get a platform for just one game either.

I guess the only good thing that came from the deal is the 360 version. When Rise was released I only had a 360 at that time so I got it for that and enjoyed it a lot. Then when I got the X1 I got Rise for that.

Hopefully this won't happen again in the future.

KManX89
18th Oct 2016, 19:51
I second all the "I don't pay hundreds of $ on a new console for one game" comments. While yes, I'm a big fan of TR, even found myself growing a newfound love for the old games that I didn't care much for in the 90s courtesy of the TReboot, I'm a gamer through and through. There's plenty of other franchises that I'm also a big fan of, many of which I could already play on PS4, exclusive or otherwise. I'm sure 99.8% of gamers felt the same way regarding The Deal as far as being able to play it wherever and whenever they wanted.

I'll admit, when the Deal was first announced, like most, I was legit pissed (and for good reason), except, unlike others, I wasn't under the impression that it would never come out for PS4, it's just that the interest will have almost completely died out by the time it did. In fact, a slew of the decisions from this publisher in the last year alone really made me question my allegiance. From The Deal to the double whammy on the latest Hitman (episodic, always-online single-player game, 'nuf 'sed) to the arbitrary Mankind Divided pre-order system (which they thankfully scrapped, albeit only when enough people complained), it's not so much they've lost ME as consumer as it was me beginning to lose faith in them (DE:MD and FFXV were always on my to-buy list from S-E this year and, yes, most likely ROTTR as well when it was all said and done), but with the way they've gone out and pretty much far exceeded all expectations for the 20th anniversary of TR on PS4, they're starting to win some of that trust back. There's still some work that needs to be done, though, and I think you know where I'm going with this.

That said, I've recognized the good decisions they've made through it all even before the TR 20th Anniversary announcement, like announcing the FFVII Remake. I was never under the impression that this company was inherently evil. No, that "honor" belongs to Konami AKA Konazi.

You fire the creative genius who put you on the GD map, you sabotage HIS latest game and keep him from attending the VGAs, then remove him from the credits and cover art, you cancel Silent Hills (the most hyped SH game to date with the friggin' Norman Reedus, Hideo Kojima and GDT dream team working on it), you pull P.T. from the PS Store, you sell out all your beloved IPs (and pretty much all your fans in the process) for whorehouse slot machines and cell phone games, you force whatever staff you have left to work in slave-like conditions, and then, to top it all off, you go and do this with your flagship franchise in a desperate attempt to win back the fans you've royally f'ed over: Metal Gear: Left 4 Dead Edition, BRAVO!

Seriously, #FuKonami. :mad:

Lara_Fan_84
18th Oct 2016, 23:38
I already had a PS4 but got it after we got an official announcement that Rise would make it to PS4 but it was months away. I had purchased GTA 5 on PS4 (even though I already played it on my PS3) and I also had the Definitive Edition of the first game. Pretty much just to test out the graphics and the new stuff you can get with the new system for each game. I'm sort of a Playstation Fan Girl. I mean, I've played NES back in the day, but since Playstation came out I didn't consider anything else.

As far as exclusivity I decided to preorder from game stop for the artbook. From what I read, Walmart wasn't offering any preorder bonuses but I could be wrong. When I do preorder games, I usually preorder from game stop but I don't preorder that often.

I only have three games for the PS4, most of my games are on the PS3 or the earlier versions on the PS2. My PS4 games are limited, because I have to really feel like the game would be worth it for the system as far as graphics, etc.

I also play Metal Gear Solid games (have been since the beginning) so I need to get something Metal Gear Solid for the PS4. I do have Phantom Pain but I bought that on my PS3, a while before I had my PS4.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
19th Oct 2016, 01:46
I really like TR but I have been really happy with every PS console from 1 to 4 so I don't particularly want to switch or have to get both. Yes TR is possibly the most important series for me but is only one series. I would kind of take it as a big 'screw you' from the developers to do a full exclusive with Xbox after all the success TR has had on PS so that would make me even less likely to consider getting an Xbox. I will stick with PS and I hope CD and SE now realise that trying to cut out parts of their player base (PS, PC or Xbox) even temporally didn't work.

Tecstar70
19th Oct 2016, 15:54
I hope CD and SE now realise that trying to cut out parts of their player base (PS, PC or Xbox) even temporally didn't work.
or did it?........

KyleLiddell
19th Oct 2016, 19:42
I'll admit, when the Deal was first announced, like most, I was legit pissed (and for good reason), except, unlike others, I wasn't under the impression that it would never come out for PS4, it's just that the interest will have almost completely died out by the time it did.#FuKonami. :mad:

I can't wait until we're 10 years down the road and someone mentions The Deal as if it's this unimaginable being and most new fans are just like "what?"

Gemma_Darkmoon_
20th Oct 2016, 01:45
or did it?........

How so? On the financials what we have seen suggests sales of rise aren't significantly up on Xbox on TR2013 figures despite the exclusivity. That suggests that the audience didn't move consoles much in response to the arrangement. Sales may be expected to go down on PS but time will tell. Yes they got investment from MS which may cover anything there but a decrease in people playing the games doesn't help them build the brand. The effect on sales wasn't isolated to Rise with LCToO sales taking a hammering probably due to negative sentiment over the deal so it does suggest reputation matters to sales.

In terms of audience, the idea that TR may get a big boost from extra marketing doesn't seem to have materialised though the launch window certainly didn't help. A multi-platform initial launch is better for a TR game to make an impact.The worst effect is probably that TR2013 generated some real momentum behind TR and the deal has quite likely dissipated that. There was much excitement pre deal announcement but even despite PS getting the game eventually the hype round TR appears weaker going into game 3 of the trilogy.

After handling the deal announcement badly they have done all the right things with the 20th Anniversary version and hopefully in a few years time the exclusivity deal will be just a long in the past event. I am not saying they now perceive the deal as a disaster or that there weren't positives in the deal for them. Having seen the passion with which the fans came out to oppose timed exclusivity and that some of the positives may not have shone as brightly as perhaps envisioned that perhaps exclusivity deals for TR may not seem as good of a prospect as it did before.

Tecstar70
20th Oct 2016, 09:11
How so? On the financials what we have seen suggests sales of rise aren't significantly up on Xbox on TR2013 figures despite the exclusivity. That suggests that the audience didn't move consoles much in response to the arrangement. Sales may be expected to go down on PS but time will tell. Yes they got investment from MS which may cover anything there but a decrease in people playing the games doesn't help them build the brand. The effect on sales wasn't isolated to Rise with LCToO sales taking a hammering probably due to negative sentiment over the deal so it does suggest reputation matters to sales.

In terms of audience, the idea that TR may get a big boost from extra marketing doesn't seem to have materialised though the launch window certainly didn't help. A multi-platform initial launch is better for a TR game to make an impact.The worst effect is probably that TR2013 generated some real momentum behind TR and the deal has quite likely dissipated that. There was much excitement pre deal announcement but even despite PS getting the game eventually the hype round TR appears weaker going into game 3 of the trilogy.

After handling the deal announcement badly they have done all the right things with the 20th Anniversary version and hopefully in a few years time the exclusivity deal will be just a long in the past event. I am not saying they now perceive the deal as a disaster or that there weren't positives in the deal for them. Having seen the passion with which the fans came out to oppose timed exclusivity and that some of the positives may not have shone as brightly as perhaps envisioned that perhaps exclusivity deals for TR may not seem as good of a prospect as it did before.

We don't truly know what SE's objectives were and how far sales were part of that and if so far they have met, exceeded or didn't meet expectations. The fact that the 20th Anniversary Edition has gone down well and that it "coincidentally" came out at the same time as PSVR is a positive too. My personal view is that overall the TR brand hasn't been affected enough in a bad way by The Deal to make any difference long term. The Deal will fade into obscurity, only be dragged up again by a few people when a conversation fits the need, the next game will come out with a big hoo-hah and it will stand or fall on its merits as most games mainly do. The fact is that Rise has kept TR in the news for nearly two years and as we have seen people have viewed the PS4 release as SE "making amends" and so have been mostly brought round again. Some might say that apart from having to wait the PS4 gets a better look-in than Xbox One in terms of physical product. Just look at LCTOO and now the Rise release.

So SE got some kind of incentive from MS (we don't really know what that actually was), they have had ongoing publicity for nearly two years, two sets of glowing reviews for the same game, a 20th Anniversary celebration (which could be argued that PC and Xbox owners have missed out on!), a 20th Anniversary refresh of both Xbox and PC digital releases, the general articles about performance, graphics etc etc that pop up around a games release and one of the first PSVR offerings in a triple-A game. The legacy for most people will be a critically well-received game that will go alongside its predecessor which the Metacritic score is currently sitting at about 86 for all TR reboot titles. All of this has been great marketing and people will remember TR as a brand for lots of reasons although not all of them good! It is still difficult to gauge the financial success of the Rise. TR2013 is still on sale and being played. Rise will still be on sale for years to come and so they will still carry on earning money for SE.

Who have come off worse? The fans obviously and for some them this sour taste will never go away. However like it or not, this has caused a minimal amount of negativity to the customer base as a whole. We can only hope that such a marketing idea never happens again. Its 1-1 so lets hope they leave it that way!

HandofMidas
21st Oct 2016, 09:39
I think short term I don't think the deal has done much good for Rise or the TR brand. Rise will probably be remembered as much for the deal as the game but I agree with Tecstar that I don't see it having a long term effect and TR will simply recover with the deal becoming just a footnote.

Poseidon2016
7th Nov 2016, 08:03
For me it's not just the deal that angered me, it's a whole host of other things that SE and CD did that make me not buy this game when it finally came.

1: the former CEO Darrell Gallagher basically said in that yes they had sold out to Microsoft for money and that Xbox fans were the "true fans" of the Tomb Raider series, despite the fact TR has always sold better on PS consoles. Of course he didn't put it in those words, but I saw them as him talking in code.

2: He tried to hawk the Definitive Edition of the reboot and Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris as worthy alternatives while Xbox player got the real thing. Which A: Is him trying to get PS fans to reward SE and CD's bad behavior and B: is pointless because the Definitive Edition was dirt cheap at the time and LCTOO was also coming to the Xbox consoles as well.

3: This is just my opinion but I feel that Microsoft abandon Rise the minute they realized Fallout 4 came out on the same day. They're were barely any kind of advertisement that I saw beside going into a gamestop. I remember going to the midnight releases of Fallout 4 and Rise, only three people showed up to pick the game up(Granted I know that likely many more people might have showed up later or picked it up the next day) Before this, I would get maybe one or two youtube ads for Rise and Wiki ads but that was it. I didn't even see any tv commericals for Rise, unlike the reboot which I remember seeing commericals for. I saw much more Fallout 4 ads on both the internet and on tv. Which lead me to believe that Xbox saw the greater potential in Fallout and did the bare minimum to promote Rise and yet SE and CD seem not to notice this.

3: The fact that Brian Horton, the games director, tried to brush off the fact the game sold poorly due to the deal and said that game reviews and scores from gaming sight were more important than sales figures. That comes off as saying the opinion of a few is more important than the sales, which represents the opinion of the fans as a whole.

4: The fact that you waited until 3 months before you release the game to announce it. In relative terms you gave us little time to decide if we wanted to buy. Also you tried to say how much you loved us PS owners despite the fact you really did treat us PS owners like second class citizens. It came off as you guys trying to act like we're were old friends and trying to butter us up.

5: The price, I know there is a other thread that debates whether 60 dollars is justified for what many(or few) think is a year old game. I honestly think we're being made to pay 60 bucks for VR support and not for the DLC or the new things like Blood Ties, Lara's Nightmare and Endurance mode. If you just have given us a regular Game of the year edition, you couldn't justify the 60 price tag, even the addition of the new stuff really couldn't justify it either since in relative terms, those are nothing more an 5 dollar DLC you could have given out. So you put in the VR to justify the price, even know VR will be likely something only a minority of PS owners will buy.

6: Is that CD counldn't be bothered to port this out themselves. Instead handing off to some other developer. And for the reports of the PS4 version being full of bugs and glitches and crashes are common. This is because this is a game developed by Microsoft for it's consoles and the PC(which they dominate the market.) This was really not meant for PS owners.

7: The fact I can't find any sales figures for the PS4 release. Which makes it look like they're hiding the numbers in order to prevent people from saying the game may have failed. One person on this forum said that Amazon had thousands of pre orders but that was only one site. He never mentioned digital sales or places like GameStop.

7: The final point, That this was SE and CD way of seeing if they could truly go head to head with Uncharted and failed. It took til the end of 2015 for rise to hit one million copies sold. It took Uncharted 4 a week to hit 2.7 million units sold. And don't try to convince me that SE and CD were satisfied with the sales of the game on the console. Last game sold more and were not satisfied with the result, which lead me to think they were looking for Call of Duty or Battlefield numbers. SE and CD either lowered their standards or just lying through their teeth.

These reason I just listed is the reason I won't buy this game. The only way I will buy it is when the next game comes out on the PS4 or whatever console is out at the time. I'm not asking for some executive to reassure me that will come mutliplat. However I believe that won't be the case. First is that someone posted on another site said that by buying this game straight out of the gate that PS owners will validate what SE and CD did and they will be more likely do it again thinking that PS owners will wait. If what they are saying is true, then this game is selling good.

But I believe that by doing this deal, that the Tomb Raider franchise has sided with Microsoft and that another timed exclusive is likely. Despite the fact that it was PlayStation that help the franchise grow is no longer worthy of getting any of it's main releases until it suits SE and CD.

Photodinopathy
7th Nov 2016, 10:09
I am a PS gamer and if TR chose a different platform then I would stay with where most of the series I really like are even though TR would be a sad loss. It would be CD and SE forgetting how much PS and it's players have contributed to TR success. I also didn't like the way that CD suddenly acted like MS and Xbox players were their friends and it was like they didn't even consider us on PS. Maybe they did think hard about it but wasn't presented in that way. At least after the reaction it got they are probably not going to do a similar thing again as we all want to get next TR without exclusivity.

maryjblige
13th Nov 2016, 03:25
6: Is that CD counldn't be bothered to port this out themselves. Instead handing off to some other developer. And for the reports of the PS4 version being full of bugs and glitches and crashes are common. This is because this is a game developed by Microsoft for it's consoles and the PC(which they dominate the market.) This was really not meant for PS owners.
that was only one site. He never mentioned digital sales or places like GameStop.

This has always been the case for years though. From Underwood and onwards, Crystal Dynamics only worked on one version and that was the 360 (X1 for Rise though), and Nixxes were always in charge of the Playstation versions.