PDA

View Full Version : Played Croft Manor - Blood Ties, thoughts and wishes

Tallantis
16th Oct 2016, 02:00
I was really excited about the comeback of Croft Manor. I started with the tutorial in TR1 in '96 inside the manor after Lara just had moved in, since then I spent as much time inside the manor as outside. So I missed it sadly in every game without one.

Yeah the devs didn't went all-out like TR3 or Legend/Anniversary but it was a nice start. So many logs which tell the whole story about Laras past. I love that CD combined most of the background of the other games to give you so much nostalgia. The death of her mother, the thoughts from father, so many hints like the sword of King Arthur. I really enjoyed my time inside the manor. I also loved that you had to think and investigate your logs to solve some puzzles. Need something like that in the main game.

That's the reason I want this manor in a far better shape in the risen Tomb Raider game. I saw so many rooms blocked by wood planks and the big closed front door. I even saw that there is a bigger map if you zoom out. It makes me so thirsty about a renovated one.

Second, I saw the jade dragon from Xian and heard the hint from Winston with the walk-in-freezer etc...Omg and I thought about a Remake of Tomb Raider II with Crystal Engine. Anniversary is still the best Tomb Raider CD built imo and next year it's Tomb Raider II 20th birthday. Yeah day dreaming...I know...but...these hints....

Something I also noticed was the quantity of Egyptian relics. It remembered me that anything about pyramids and the Egypt myth always attracted me. So after TR II Remake, do a TR in Egypt again please. :whistle: No, it just remembered me why I like Tomb Raider in ancient places far more then in WW bunkers or anything else from a recent period. Even though I really like RotTR, it didn't had the same adventure feeling.

Error96_
17th Oct 2016, 00:35
I love it when they put Easter eggs in there for the fans to find like the secret plink and some of the links in the manor. The manor is great so looking forward to exploring more when it gets repaired. I have always said that TR2 has some of the most atmospheric settings in the series and with modern graphics could be amazing. There are a lot of issues with how much to make it play like TR2 or like TR2013/Rise to consider so that could make it tricky to produce something that appeals to classic and modern fans. On TR locations, I know many said that TRLR was too Egypt based but it was a long timer since so part of a game there could be good.

HandofMidas
19th Oct 2016, 12:12
Would have been nice not to have all those wood planks blocking doors but is still great that manor is back part of Lara's storyline and I enjoyed getting to explore it once again.

Metalrocks
19th Oct 2016, 13:43
Would have been nice not to have all those wood planks blocking doors but is still great that manor is back part of Lara's storyline and I enjoyed getting to explore it once again.

my thoughts as well.

Tihocan
20th Oct 2016, 14:11
I really enjoyed it, massive fan service with some nice puzzles. Even the record player brought back memories. Simple and elegant.

(Unlike the Nightmare mode, which meh)

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2016, 00:13
I enjoyed blood ties. I was a little disappointed we didn't have access to Lara's room or the kitchen. No Winston either but my only guess is that he's dead from old age. I know Lara read a Winston journal entry from when Lara was a kid and she was being a brat and locked Winston in the freezer. I thought that was funny since everyone did that in TR 3 I think (the original). I wanted to see if there was a trophy for doing that in the manor but no Winston and no kitchen so no trophy. :rolleyes:

I did try Lara's Nightmare but it got annoying. I try to find all the zombies that are around Lara but that one with the grenade keeps showing up where I don't see him and kills Lara. The funny thing is I respawn in a different part of the manor each time I come back. It's not that I don't like a challenge, nothing to do with that.

Tihocan
21st Oct 2016, 00:26
I did try Lara's Nightmare but it got annoying. I try to find all the zombies that are around Lara but that one with the grenade keeps showing up where I don't see him and kills Lara. The funny thing is I respawn in a different part of the manor each time I come back. It's not that I don't like a challenge, nothing to do with that.
I didn't enjoy it much either. Stealth is virtually pointless, and enemies can spawn right next to you. The constant background shrieking went from creepy to annoying very quickly because it masked all of the important noise.
It's also incredibly easy to "cheese" - the zeds have area boundaries that, if they reach, they can't move any further. Take a spot near a stairwell and if you feel a bit pressured you can take refuge. You can clear out the basement easily like this.

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2016, 00:34
I didn't enjoy it much either. Stealth is virtually pointless, and enemies can spawn right next to you. The constant background shrieking went from creepy to annoying very quickly because it masked all of the important noise.
It's also incredibly easy to "cheese" - the zeds have area boundaries that, if they reach, they can't move any further. Take a spot near a stairwell and if you feel a bit pressured you can take refuge. You can clear out the basement easily like this.

Thanks for that advice. :) Did you finish it and if so do you get anything special at the end? I just want to know of I have motivation to attempt to finish it. Also, what are the skulls you have to find to activate the final boss? I thought it might have been that floating goats head thing that shoots what looks like Greek Fire at whatever is nearby, but I shot at it and nothing happened. I never got far in that side mission so I don't know a lot.

Tihocan
21st Oct 2016, 01:46
You have to take out 3 of them, on of which is in the room unlocked with the master key. The final boss is... disappointing.
I don't recall getting anything special, just progression stuff like cash / xp.

Mike_B
30th Oct 2016, 07:13
I never played the original Tomb Raider games so for me the Manor doesn't have a special meaning. Either way I finished playing the blood ties, it was a nice location for discovering some bits and pieces but I found that the gameplay was really limited. It also felt a bit crammed into a small timeframe/place, it basically consisted of take a step, look right or left *see something shiny, press E*, continue, repeat and repeat.

It's still a nice add-on but that's how it felt to me.