PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Weapon

Zaphod
11th Jul 2002, 02:38
Since there isn't much going on in the Hit1 forum, I figure I'll bow to Deja's pressure and start this poll.

I couldn't include them all, which is why the UNsilenced MP5 and Beretta aren't there. And you can only vote for 1.

All things being equal, what's the one weapon you gravitate to?

Please vote, then explain WHY. The WHAT is meaningless without the WHY.

Note: It's all still pretty meaningless. It just passes the time.

My vote goes to the fibre wire. I can carry it anywhere, people might not know what it is if I get frisked, and it's one of the two good ways to make a silent take-down, and I'm all about the silence.

ICEBreaker
11th Jul 2002, 03:03
I don't know why but I love polls. They are fun. I chose the sniper rifle because I am a sniper at heart. I love long range weaponary. The ability to eliminate targets from an extraordinary distance bestow upon the sniper a powerful feeling of control and invulnerability. One of the reasons I got Hitman was because of the sniper rifles.

Zaphod
11th Jul 2002, 03:19
Yeah, if I had to chose a runner-up, I would have chosen the sniper. But I wanted to restrict it to just one weapon.

A game with good sniping can't be beat. That's one of the reasons DX had such replay value for me.

Xcom
11th Jul 2002, 03:19
Dunno. Always liked Desert Eagles. It's my fave weapon in all games. :D

DeJavu
11th Jul 2002, 03:45
Hey,
was up.. Thanks, Zaphod for setting this up!!! hmm.. If I had to chose one weapon.. I would pick the Sniper Rifle, I am with ICEBreaker:
"I chose the sniper rifle because I am a sniper at heart. I love long range weaponary. The ability to eliminate targets from an extraordinary distance bestow upon the sniper a powerful feeling of control and invulnerability. One of the reasons I got Hitman was because of the sniper rifles." *ICEBreaker
I would also chose the Sniper Rifle, because it gives you the upper hand.. the element of Surprise! =) And, becuase it makes you feel like a God cause you can kill anyone, anytime, anywhere.. without them ever knowing.. lol! But, mainly because of what ICEBreaker said.. hehe!!! Have fun!!!

Saba
11th Jul 2002, 05:03
Good to see you back, DeJavu.

I was broken between the sniper and the knife, but after realizing that almost everyone already had, I chose the obayun/pentagon knife.

Silent kills, silent kills. I've mastered the art of slashing throats. I've beat almost the whole game with just the knife. And there's nothing like running circles around a guard while he's shooting at you, catching him with his back turned, and oh so elegantly running your knife across his neck. Not to mention it's the fastest silent kill, makes the best screenshots, and works great as a melee weapon if you wish to go for the full-facial frontal attack.

Salem4
11th Jul 2002, 13:05
I chose the Pentagon Knife - Quick, Silent, Effective, but i also agree to those who chose the sniper. Ohh, i look forward to Silent Assassin with many new snipers!

Are you saying that the fibre wire is more silent than the knife? If so, that was news to me.

Zaphod
11th Jul 2002, 14:23
It's not "more" silent, because when you take someone from behind with the knife, it's completely silent. As is the wire. But the wire doesn't trip metal detectors (pity those were only used in one mission - I thought they added a nice "puzzle" feel, trying to find the path to circumvent them, etc.).

Also, to those who say the knife is faster than the wire, it isn't. The little animation that plays when you garrotte someone, as they're dragged to the ground, can be skipped every time. After you wire them and the animation starts, press the right (or is it the left) mouse button again, and the animation will end, and your view will immediately jump to them dead on the ground.

DeJavu
12th Jul 2002, 02:26
Hey,
was up.. I agree with Saba if I had to pick between the Knife and the Fiber Wire, I would pick the Knife. Mainly. because when you use a Fiber Wire you can only kill a person from behind, but a knife can be used no matter where your standing. "Silence is the key to survival and to the success of any mission, any pro-Hitman knows that.." =) And, I am still thinking about what my second favorite weapon would be, cause everyone has give me a reason to consider their weapon because they have made a good argument.. hehe! Have fun!!!

Saba
12th Jul 2002, 20:43
It seems the only advantage of the wire is it's ability to pass undetected through metal detectors. Otherwise, it's slower, less efficient, and has no value as a melee weapon.

Ok, sure, sure, you can cancel the animation by hitting your right/left mouse button, but this isn't really realistic. In real life, there is no mouse button to hit when you're strangling someone and guards are running up behind you. Being slower, it is of course, less efficient. And like I've already pointed out, it can only be used from behind, when undetected.

ICEBreaker
13th Jul 2002, 05:14
There is one advantage to the fibre wire and that is it drags the body back away from the sight.

Saba
13th Jul 2002, 17:44
Yeah, that's true. But not very far. You can always drag the normal way after knifing a victim anyways.

ICEBreaker
13th Jul 2002, 21:30
No I meant that in some situations if you knife the person, and they fall forward, others could see the body. But if you use the fibre wire to pull them in, the others won't see the body. The Budapest hotel had two such instances of this.

Saba
13th Jul 2002, 23:43
Use the fiber wire to pull them in? Do you mean when Rieper slowly lowers the body to the ground, you can pull it backward a bit while the wire is still around its neck?

DeJavu
14th Jul 2002, 00:26
Hey,
was up.. I agree with you people about the fact that you can use the Fiber Wire to drag a body back and all. BUT! It still has one weakness which can be exploited. And, that is if you are in a hurry and you need to make a quiet kill, fast.. then its a lot harder to kill with a Fiber Wire then it is with a Knife! With a Knife you have a chance of stabbing the person if you miss, but with the Fiber Wire you dont get that many chances. Plus, the fact that it makes that metallic sound when you ready it, which can alert the enemy of danger..:eek: Which is why, I still think you can take down a target with a Knife from behind which is much more efficient than strangulation with the Fiber Wire.. =) Have fun!!!

ICEBreaker
14th Jul 2002, 04:33
Saba, Hitman actually drags the body back half a step automatically. Don't you ever use the fibre wire?

DejaVu, the metallic sound is done for effect and doesn't actually alert anyone. Pulling out a knife is also accompanied by its own sound effect.

I think each weapon has its own uses and a wise Hitman could chose the appropriate weapon for each kill. Overall I think the Pentagon knife is more effective, not so much because of the speed of kills, but because it can be used for frontal assault as well.

Xcom
15th Jul 2002, 00:11
Originally posted by ICEBreaker
the metallic sound is done for effect and doesn't actually alert anyone. Pulling out a knife is also accompanied by its own sound effect.

Hm, IIRC, it does. I remember standing very close behind a guard (Lee Hong level I think) and when I pulled out the knife, the guard turned around.

ICEBreaker
15th Jul 2002, 11:54
Yeah you are right. In that case either both weapons make a noise or both don't make any noise.

NZrevenge
15th Jul 2002, 12:26
I voted fibrewire not because it is a useful weapon, but because it is a hell of a lot of fun to kill people with it. Especially the driver in the first mission, when he is leaking down into the sewer.

corseque
15th Jul 2002, 19:02
Silenced pistols are my choice. Silent, quick and effective at short to medium range. Shooting a guard in the head at short range is the best way to do it. It may not be as quiet as the wire but anyone a bit farther away won't hear a thing.

DeJavu
15th Jul 2002, 23:38
Hey,
was up.. Your right NZrevenge it is fun to kill the Limo driver while he is taking a leak in Kowloon Triads in Gang War, but then you gotta quickly hide the body so its better if you just take out a Silenced Beretta 92 shoot him in the head. Then he will fly into the sewer and that way you save your self the trouble and the time to drag the driver.. lol! Have fun!!!

Saba
16th Jul 2002, 02:23
Both the knife and fiber wire will make a "zing" when unholstered. Your victims will not hear it only when you're in sneak mode.

I think I know what you're talking about ICEBreaker. I'm not sure if it makes a tremendous difference though, a simple half-step forward or back, though, like you mentioned, it is convenient in Budapest when you open the door behind the room 203 guard and strange him. Rieper lowers him gently to rest and gives him a little tug backward, whereas with a knife, he'd fall face forward into the hallway, and could cause you a bit of trouble.

Killing the limo driver was quite a blast. On the replay, I would spray him down with a nice burst of machine gun fire from my Uzi. Of course, you could also slash his throat or shoot him with the silenced beretta right into the sewer.

Xcom
16th Jul 2002, 04:23
Originally posted by Saba
Both the knife and fiber wire will make a "zing" when unholstered. Your victims will not hear it only when you're in sneak mode.

That could explain it. I've practically never used sneak mode.

Saba
16th Jul 2002, 06:19
I'd think you'd learn something from Jedi Training! But no...

NZrevenge
16th Jul 2002, 08:36
Since when does a jedi have to sneak? Their mind-tricks, super jumping and super sprinting abilities have them covered for just about anything!

ICEBreaker
16th Jul 2002, 11:40
They do sometimes sneak when it is necessary.

Saba
16th Jul 2002, 16:26
Yeah, everybody has to sneak sometime. Even a Jedi.

Zaphod
16th Jul 2002, 16:32
"These aren't the droids you're looking for."

DeJavu
18th Jul 2002, 23:11
Hey,
was up.. My question is if you could add another weapon/tool that you could use.. to make your kills or whatever..which weapon/tool would you use?! hehe! I would suggest.. a Crossbow you can make a silent kill.. at long distances. Its the perfect medium range weapon which can be used to make some interesting kills.. especially with arrows that are poison tipped!!! :cool: What do you think?! What would your choice off weapon be?! lol! Have Fun!!!

Saba
23rd Jul 2002, 05:52
Why don't you make a new poll in the Hitman 2: Silent Assassin forum over the new stealth weapons then, DeJa?

DeJavu
23rd Jul 2002, 23:23
Hey,
was up.. You know what ur right.. I think I will do that.. hehe! Thx... Have Fun!!!

redneck
25th Aug 2002, 00:18
i chose the shotguns because u shoot the once in the chest its all over the only thing that they could have done to make it betterl is make the 5-7 shot insted of only one it has the power of the sniper but u dont have to go into sniper mode to shoot it.

DJ_Mittens
9th Mar 2004, 01:11
MP5 all the way. I love shouldering that thing, and taking out some baddies with a full clip to the head. That, or desert eagles. It's fun to see the body fly across the screen. I only wish I could literally blow their heads off.

Capone
20th Mar 2004, 22:46
i want to know where 47 got this second baller from for the second and third game, you never had two of them in the first one? oh well, it is cooler with two

Emultra
21st Mar 2004, 12:40
They're all good, however:
All Your Bulletholes Are Belong To Us, Minigun.
But who could deny the appeal of the fibre-wire, a silenced Beretta or mr. 47's trademark, the Hardballers?

ICA cleaner
27th Mar 2004, 23:58
For me it was a toss up between the sniper rifle, fiber wire, and Suppressed Beretta. I chose the Beretta because it's just so damn cool to shoot some guy who doesn't know you're there in the back of the head with a silenced pistol.

gamer_noor
10th Apr 2004, 07:06
I like Sniper Rifle very much coz u can shoot with it at very long distance.

KillerMode
6th May 2004, 12:53
my fav wepons in the game are silenced beretta, knife and fiberwire. i voted for fiberwire. it is so stealthy. i like to kill up close and personal. ive always been a hardcore sniper but this game encourages me to take people out like an assasin. nothings more exciting on the game that stabbing or choking a dude out. a hard decision to make indeed.