PDA

View Full Version : New LE?

Lil Lara
11th Jul 2002, 00:38
I was wondering if they were going to be making a new Level Editor to go along with the new game? Does anyone know? 'Cause since they have all this new technology that they are using to make TR better and more advanced, wouldn't you think that eventually they would be making a more advanced LE??

DKSM
11th Jul 2002, 00:48
As of now, no and I think it will stay that way. They added it because Chronicles was way too short.

spider907
13th Sep 2002, 12:45
To create the level geometry, I think they now use Maya which is a high-end 3d modelling package which costs £thousends

spider907.

Kurtis Trent
13th Sep 2002, 21:59
The only reason they gave us LE is probably because:
[list=1]
Chronicles was to short
Becasue they are using a different engine to create AOD.
[/list=1]

But maybe at the end of the AOD TR games, they will release it. ;)

spider907
14th Sep 2002, 07:51
What I was trying to get at is there probably IS no editor - they PROBABLY use a 3D modeller (I recognised the interface of Maya from the development screenshots) as the levels are too complex for them to create a custom 3D modeller.

Data
16th Sep 2002, 16:33
You are correct spider907, the modelling for Lara Croft Tombraider - The Angel of Darkness was created using Maya, however Core Design would still need a Level Editor to create the environment. Unfortunately we will not get to use it.........yet. ;)

{Disclaimer: The inclusion of the word 'yet' does not make any claims as to the future availability of an AOD Level Editor, it is merely conjecture in the form of wanton desire.} ;)

spider907
16th Sep 2002, 17:09
If you look carefully at the development screenshots, you will see little icons where point lights and other environment objects are. They have probably written custom Maya plugins so that all of the design assets can be done in one program, and imported straight into the engine. That doesn't mean to say that you can't grab the vertex and face data from the level files that Maya exports :-)

LarzBritsh
16th Sep 2002, 22:28
Maya costs 1,999 bucks.

Would it be smart to give away a program that costs 2 grand with a 50 dollar (and even less) game? ;)

spider907
17th Sep 2002, 07:15
Exactly my point

Snap125
20th Sep 2002, 15:28
I don't think that Core modified Maya because it's not their programm and they wouldn't even be allowed to. Because as you know of course (;)) when you buy software it's not your's, you only buy the licence to use it! But maybe they just got the permission from the Maya development enterpsire or whatever I was just thinking ...:)

spider907
20th Sep 2002, 15:48
Maya is meant to be modifiable. It has it's own scripting language (MEL Script) and allows you to write custom plugins for it. Maya is used for many of the games you see out today - I think Core also used it for their Hurdy Gurdy game - why spend ages building a custom level editor if you can do everything in one program (Maya).