PDA

View Full Version : Can This Really Be The Top 25 Games?

Dell
10th Jul 2002, 11:27
Went a'cruising down PC Magazine lane and here are the games they list as the top 25 in the United States...or maybe the world...who knows!

Do you agree with this list or do you feel something different is the actuality? What do you think belongs here? And just where do they get their information? Anyone know? Like two Roller Coasters and seems to be dominated by Havas? Who are they??

Games

Neverwinter Nights (PC) $47.90
(Infogrames)

Warcraft III Collector's Edition (PC) $68.84
(Havas)

Dungeon Siege (PC) $34.00
(Microsoft)

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (PC) $39.90
(Electronic Arts)

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Full Product) $38.95
(Bethesda)

Grand Theft Auto 3 (PC) $39.95
(Rockstar Games)

The Sims $34.70
(Maxis)

Return to Castle Wolfenstein $27.90
(Activision)

HALF-LIFE COUNTER STRIKE WIN95/98 $25.48
(Havas)

Star Wars Jedi Outcast: Jedi Knight II (Full Product) $39.90
(LUCASARTS ENTERTAINMENT)

Unreal Tournament 2K3 $49.99
(Infogrames)

FLIGHT SIMULATOR 2002 PRO 95/98/WME/NT $54.33
(Microsoft)

Civilization III $34.95
(MicroProse (Spectrum))

Soldier Of Fortune II $39.95
(Activision)

HALF-LIFE PLATINUM EDITION BY SIERRA NORTHWEST WIN 95/98 $29.95 (Havas)

ROLLER COASTER TYCOON PC BY HASBRO/MICROPROSE 95/98 $9.95 (Infogrames)

DARK AGE OF CAMELOT WIN 95/98 $24.03
(Havas)

Battlefield 1942 PC $49.99
(Electronic Arts)

Age of Empires II - The Age of Kings $18.75
(Microsoft)

DIABLO BATTLE CHEST WIN 95/98/2000/NT/XP/MAC CD $39.90
(Havas)

Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn $22.95
(Interplay)

Entertainment Software Half-Life Full Product CD-ROM 1U $17.95 (Havas)

Command & Conquer Renegade (PC) $29.99
(Generic)

World of Warcraft $54.99
(Blizzard Entertainment)

RollerCoaster Tycoon Gold Edition $28.70
(Full Product)

SirCanealot
10th Jul 2002, 11:57
Wtf thats not just the top 25. Thats probebly just some gay top 25 from some gay shop/magazine. What magazine was that from? When it comes to Pc Magainze in the UK ONLY buy and trust Pc-Zone.

All other Magazine < Pc-Zone.

Not only is it hilarious, but its informative and just.

Allthough over the last couple of years the price has gone from 2.50-5.00 :(

Arkron
10th Jul 2002, 14:07
Hmm.. that looks more like either a top 25 of some guy or a current top 25 based on seeling records (virtual or real).

N00dles
10th Jul 2002, 15:48
Looks more like a temporary top 25 of the most popular sales..

If it would have to be a Top 25 of All Time, then almost every game could be scrapped from this list. :)

Dell
10th Jul 2002, 16:01
Here's the page address....go read and weep for yourself! Boy those subscriptions to PC World are expensive. You'd think the information would be accurate!

http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/home_catpage.php?catzero=33

Just click on "Most Popular Games"

N00dles
10th Jul 2002, 18:17
Well, after checking the link, this list is certainly a top 25 of the most popular buys at the moment. So not to worry :) It's not the " best game ever top 25" :P

Moggraider
10th Jul 2002, 20:53
Oh, for the love of God.

Rengar
10th Jul 2002, 22:25
What wrong Mog?

Jealous that you didn't think of the topic first.

Moggraider
11th Jul 2002, 06:07
Yes, that's it exactly.

SirCanealot
11th Jul 2002, 12:30
Looks like its going to be one of those topics...

Dell
11th Jul 2002, 12:49
Well, I didn't do it!

SirCanealot
11th Jul 2002, 13:22
Yes, you did. Any one with half a brain will relise that. Heh no dont bother with that one :rolleyes:

Dell
11th Jul 2002, 21:06
Like I always say, it sure takes one to know one, doesn't it?

Arkron
11th Jul 2002, 21:07
Look who's talking :D

Rengar
11th Jul 2002, 22:38
Ah man, I thought I would ruffle your feathers with that one.....forgetting your extra "g" and all.

Moggraider
12th Jul 2002, 02:20
Yeah, I'm past that now. Times have changed. That, and I hadn't realized you were Threesixty, so I decided not to make a point of it.

Dell
12th Jul 2002, 12:55
See, Rengar, Moggraider gets even in small vicious ways...like revealing identities when people obviously don't care to have that done. He has access to files, you see.

Keeps this little personal diary. http://www.sygnetswans.com/sw5/swset_fr5_guest.jpg

Moggraider
12th Jul 2002, 15:44
Actually, all I did was look at his profile.

N00dles
12th Jul 2002, 16:16
Is this topic an example of 'How to go offtopic as soon as possible'?:rolleyes:

Moggraider
12th Jul 2002, 19:56
Yes.

Arkron
12th Jul 2002, 20:43
So?

N00dles
12th Jul 2002, 23:26
Nothing. Just had to think of something to reply.

Rengar
13th Jul 2002, 00:01
I wasn't really hiding the fact that I'm 360 (should be able to see that from the homepage link that I left).

I was kinda curious how long it would take before it was realized.

I've been wanting to change my handle for a while, now. But, I didn't want to lose the registration date or #of post.

But now that doesn't really matter, anymore. Now, no one knows (except for the regulars) who has been posting at Eidos for X amount of years. (Eidos.....is that pronounced, "I-dos" or "E'-eh-doze"?)

Shoot, I even forgot to make a copy and past of those things from the old board.

In case any are wondering.....Threesixty was taken from the fact that I own two cars with 360ci engines in them (a '74 Duster, and a Cummins Diesel), not very personal.

Rengar are the first 3 initals from my first and last name.....and it sound kinda Vikingish....maybe, like a name that would be found in a Fantasy RPG.

I recon that Mogg will be moving these posts to the Chat section. :eek:

Moggraider
13th Jul 2002, 00:43
Don't tell me what to do!

*looks around*

*moves the topic when no one is looking*

Arkron
13th Jul 2002, 08:39
This is a big topic.. you were able to carry it? :)

/You know, forensics are all across the other forums now.. you should've informed the authorities :p

Dell
13th Jul 2002, 10:10
Well, I have to say PC Magazine didn't carry this list as a bit of humor writing...and besides, look at Dell! She checks out things like PC Magazine's site! Isn't that at all impressive?

I mean, she can actually read! Maybe not understand it, but read the words anyway!

Moggraider
14th Jul 2002, 06:11
I know I'm shocked.

3car
15th Jul 2002, 13:45
Hi-

Nothing new in that list, either. PC Mag has about the same list ever month. Month after month...after month. They just the move the titles around a bit.

If you look closely at the games listed; ain't nothin' new there. Just different 'skin' on an existing engine. A few extra items here and there but nothing new and innovative. GTA3 is about the newest game to hit the PC. Then, wasn't that around 5-6 years ago in the guise of I-76 or somesuch?

Lessen the PC game boys get off'n their backsides, they ain't gonna be able to keep with the Console bunch. 'Specially now that the Console boys are getting into the formerly taboo PC territory: MMORPG.

I love a good fight. Really perks the game situation up. ;)

Moggraider
15th Jul 2002, 18:03
I76 isn't that old, and the original GTA was released before it. At least, I think it was. And the PC will always be better than any console, for me. The console will never catch up technologically; PCs are constantly evolving, while console technology on the market remains locked for five years at a time. Besides, the two still offer very different gaming experiences. Consoles still can't match the PC's strength in FPS, RTS, and RPG games, and probably never will. If consoles try too hard to become a set top box, I think people may eventually see the practicality of owning a PC (that can do DVD, internet, and games, just like a console, plus business, word processing, etc.) and just revolt against the console.

Amazeroth
15th Jul 2002, 19:39
I think one of the most important, if not *the* most important difference between console and PC is the keyboard and the mouse. Has there ever been any keyboard for a console? If so it can't have been awfully successful, not to mention all those pathetic attempts of console producers to sell console mouses lol. Without a keyboard, and a mouse, consoles will never reach the complexity of, say, PC RTS- or RPGs, or have the ideal controller for FPS... can you imagine playing any FPS, especially online, w/o a mouse and a keyboard?
To reach an equal level as the PC in these genres, consoles will increasingly have to resemble a PC.

In other words, PC > Console. ^^

3car
23rd Jul 2002, 14:58
Hi-

Depends on how you classify a game as 'old'. I-76 showed up same time as Win95, circa 1996 or thereabouts. That'd make that game 5,6,7 years old depending on if you are a Democrat or Republican. ;) That makes it a 'little' outdated in my book.

Keyboards for consoles? *Looks at Dreamcast keyboard and Saturn keyboard and PS2 keyboard...* True that keyboards are identified with PC's but they have also crossed over to the Console crowd, too. It's a straight-line attempt to entice ya'll to play the upcoming MMORPG's on consoles.

All the FPS look and play the same. From Unreal to Quake. The really popular ones that is.

All the PC RPG's look and play the same. I don't care a bit for the whole-lot-of-people-playin'-at-once concept and have said it before. Also don't like that all the PC rpg's look and play exactly alike either. Load up Diablo, Morrowind etc.etal. and they look and play the same. The same. Why I pretty much left PC rpg's a long time ago. That and I'm bandwidth impaired.

Anybody notice all the dadgum bugs in Morrowind3?......;)

Arkron
23rd Jul 2002, 17:54
Amazeroth, I would agree with you if ony they brought RPG's to the PC. I've played to much BG, Diablo and Warcraft games already ;)

N00dles
23rd Jul 2002, 18:14
Interstate '76 was released in Europe about the same time FFVII was released for the PSX. So that must've been in '97, making the game almost 6 years old. GTA was released later that year, I guess....

And the console will never 'beat' the PC, since the latter one has much more possibilities and more complexity in FPS-games, RPG's and RTS-games.
Both computers have their own strengths and weaknesses; the PSX, for instance, is perfect for playing fighting games, while the PC isn't (unless you own a joystick). And RPG's such as Final Fantasy work better on a console...

Amazeroth
23rd Jul 2002, 19:19
All FPS play the same? Have you played Jedi Knight II yet? I'd say that one differs from your usual FPS in a lot of things (great game BTW and really worth playing).
You're generally right about this point though, however console RPGs are *wayyyy* more similar to one another than PC RPGs are. Heck, can you tell me any major differences between Final Fantasy, Grandia, Lufia, Xenogears, Star Ocean, Breat of Fire etc.?

Anyway, I'm aware that there are keyboards and mouses for consoles but they must be selling really badly, at least over here... no one I know who owns a console has such a thing.

Moggraider
23rd Jul 2002, 21:27
Originally posted by N00dles
And RPG's such as Final Fantasy work better on a console...

They don't "work better" on a console. They're just the type of RPG the console has stuck to over the years. Console-style RPGs work great on the PC, as attested to by Anachronox and Septerra Core.

Oh, and I76 came out in 1997, a bit after Windows 95, I'd say.

Rengar
24th Jul 2002, 01:00
I'm playing Septerra Core, currently. All I can say is that the battles take forever. Other than that, it's alright....can't beat the price, comes with some game called Shogo, some kind of FPS game....

3car, you need to pick up Deus Ex. That FPS is a cross between Thief, and Halflife and No one Lives forever, and feels different than a typical FPS game. It's a Great Game....can't say too much about the endings, though.

windcloud
24th Jul 2002, 03:32
diablo II is great. Halo is the best FPS i've played so far.

i love console RPG's though they usually don't play all that different, the storyline is usualy superior to that of PC's.

PC games can have problems, for example: progarm conflict, system not good enough for the game, patches. where as console you can just pop the game right in and not worry about anything.

The major advantage PC games have over console is the monse.... the little thing can make so much freaking difference in gameplay that no joystick can compete against it.

a mose in FSP makes the aiming godly, a mouse in RPGs can make them play in a whole different way, a mouse in strategy games... wait... i can't even imagine strategy games without that little thing.

so there you have it, my two cents... and I may not make any sense to some of ya... -_-

Arkron
24th Jul 2002, 22:05
What do you think Mogg? Should we suggest Anachronox again? ;)

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 02:08
i suggest Xenogears... best RPG ever. :p

Moggraider
25th Jul 2002, 02:45
ANACHRONOX IS THE ****.

There, recommended it.

As for best RPG ever:

Console - FFVI
PC - Fallout

Period.

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 03:24
Fallout was pretty much a dissapointment to me. The story was pretty good, no character development, battles sometimes was so damn frustrating, i like the freedom and the ending... but overall... didn't live up to my expectations

Moggraider
25th Jul 2002, 05:57
When did you play it? You really must play a game as close to time of release as possible to get its full effect, I think. I was blown away.

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 06:12
Got it with the dule box set for $10... last winter... heh... kinda late

Amazeroth
25th Jul 2002, 09:48
Fallout 2 is way better than part 1 anyway. I suggest you try this one windcloud.

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 15:30
tried it also. it came with Fallout. I liked it better, but the damn battles are way harder... -_- and still no character development...

i mean... how can you miss with a rifle two feet way from somebody... thrice!?

Moggraider
25th Jul 2002, 20:04
Originally posted by Amazeroth
Fallout 2 is way better than part 1 anyway. I suggest you try this one windcloud.

Fallout 2 doesn't quite compare, in my opinion. It was too long, really. Plus, graphics or sound weren't even improved, yet loading times on that game were pretty bad.

Arkron
25th Jul 2002, 20:21
Dammit.. every neat game will be PS2.. better start saving dough.. sort of.. I got a hole in my pocket.. damn.. FFX looks so good.. temptation.. money.. ;)

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 22:30
yes, just wait till xenosaga comes out... *drool*

Moggraider
25th Jul 2002, 23:13
Originally posted by Arkron
Dammit.. every neat game will be PS2.. better start saving dough.. sort of.. I got a hole in my pocket.. damn.. FFX looks so good.. temptation.. money.. ;)

Are you kidding me? Gamecube has so many kickass games coming out between Fall 2002 and early next year it's incredible. I don't know what I'll do with myself, with so many incredible games coming out.

Amazeroth
31st Jul 2002, 22:35
I didn't really care about the graphics in Fallout 2. What counted was that there wasn't any time limit in the beginning that forced you to strictly follow the plotline and that the dialogues were vastly improved.

windcloud
1st Aug 2002, 01:19
in fallout2, there are still no hot chicks...

grampy bone...

4Eyes
1st Aug 2002, 06:33
Come on...The time limit in Fallout 1 wasn't even any problem...I always had plenty of time left after I found the water chip and returned it.

Fallout 1 was way too easy...load up on barter skills and you can sell a stimpak for more than you paid for it, buy it back, sell it again and strategically rob every merchant character of every last bottle cap he has.

Fallout 2's story is a bit too long for my tastes...I never got to finish it, but that was also a result of the load times being horrible and the fact that the european version is bugged so that you have to install a specific 'children patch' to make the little blokes appear (they're important in two quests AFAIK)

Amazeroth
1st Aug 2002, 20:36
Well but the sole existence of the time limit sort of bullied you into rushing everything if you didn't know it would be gone in the second half of the game.
Anyway luckily I had the US version of Fallout II :p
There was even a joke in it about the missing children in the European version.

4Eyes
2nd Aug 2002, 06:25
That's cool. What wasn't cool was that one of those two kids I mentioned is needed to get your car working...without that car it takes AGES to get from here all the way to there on the map.

The other kid is involved in the haunted farm quest. His father is the tanner in this weird little town where they serve deathclaw eggs for breakfast...! Not to mention they have a highly volatile outhouse...plant a pack of explosives at the bottom and watch the goop fly all over the place...That was a very cool scene.

Amazeroth
2nd Aug 2002, 16:38
Haha... that was when you had to return that old watch to that forgetful old geezer right? Well this is exactly what made me like the game so much... along with the 'special encounters' like the crashed federation shuttle ^^
Ah anyway I don't remember there's a kid involved in getting the car repaired didn't you just have to get one of those super toolkits for the mechanic?

Oh and windcloud there might be no hot NSC chicks but you can play one lol let's put it this way it gives you a lot of advantages in certain situation a male character wouldn't have.

Nightstalker
2nd Aug 2002, 18:20
Well, here is the top 30 of 2001 selected by the readers of the PC-Gameplay (Belgium/The Netherlands)

[list=1]
Max Payne
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Commandos 2
Black & White
Operation Flashpoint
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Battle Realms
Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal
Emperor: Battle of Dune
Aliens versus Predator 2
Empire Earth
Giants
Stronghold
Red Faction
Civilization 3
Desperados
Ghost Recon
Fifa 2002
Championship Manager 2001-2002
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Tribes 2
Severance
Startopia
Arcanum
F1 2001
Serious Sam
IL-2 Sturmovik
Fallout Tactics
Cossacks
[/list=1]

This list was printed in the PC-Gameplay of March 2002.

-----

With some of the games I can finds my peace while other should be (IMO) higher of even lower in the list.

Nightstalker.

Dell
2nd Aug 2002, 22:04
That list looks a lot more realistic to me than the one I had...
this one is what players are playing and liking! Not the games the old folks are buying for the kiddies birthday presents.

Do I sound cynical? Could be I am...

Arkron
3rd Aug 2002, 12:26
Lol.. Diablo 2 LoD isn't even on the list.. given the amount of players that have played it (and are still playing it now), I'd say that it deserves at least a top 10 spot.

N00dles
3rd Aug 2002, 16:00
Originally posted by Nightstalker
Well, here is the top 30 of 2001 selected by the readers of the PC-Gameplay (Belgium/The Netherlands)

[6]Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

:rolleyes:

Nightstalker
3rd Aug 2002, 16:51
Arkron take a look at number six in the list.... So it is in the top 10...

Nightstalker.

windcloud
3rd Aug 2002, 17:01
i see no Diablo II original though.... -_-

Moggraider
3rd Aug 2002, 17:13
It was released in 2000, dolt.

windcloud
4th Aug 2002, 06:25
Quiet! silly...

Moggraider
4th Aug 2002, 17:57