PDA

View Full Version : STILL no sound effects!!!!

RJS
10th Jul 2002, 05:41
Hi all,

I posted this in the old forums just before they were moved here.....

For a long time I've had a weird and unusual problem with the sound in Hitman. I have all the speech fine... all the music, fine as well..... except no actual SOUND EFFECTS.. i.e. doors, guns, etc. cannot be heard.
The sound effects come through completely fine on other people's computers so I know it's just me...

My sound card is a Aureal Vortex AU8810. I installed the updated drivers from vortexofsound.com but the same thing occured..... i ran it once, and it crashed as soon as the first sound effect occured, only to never play sound effects again.

This is one of the most fiddly and ridiculous errors I've EVER had to suffer with a game and I have yet to enjoy the game I paid 80 bucks for so long ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

FYI:

Hewlitt Packard Pavilion 8610
AMD Athlon 600MHz
300MB RAM
Aureal Vortex AU8810 sound card
nVidia Vanta video card
DirectX 8.0
Windows 98

:confused:

Ford Prefect
10th Jul 2002, 23:23
hmm, i remember your problem that was discussed in the old forum. i cannot remember what the other guys said about it, so i would say that you probably should download the hitman patch on the eidos homepage. already did that?!

is your soundcard on-board? the name sounds a bit strange to me (i'm not a pro with computer components, so i could ALL be wrong), but i heard of other games that there were mostly compability problems with hardware that was not that popular, if you know what i mean... probably hitman wasn't tested during the beta with your type of soundcard but with major soundcards (such as creative ...) and therefore causes sound problems.

that's all advice i can give, from my point of technical understatement. try the patch, write to eidos (they should know something, at least), if not, rip your soundcard out of it's place and get a simple creative soundblaster - but, as i have to say, i feel not resposible for any damage caused by my post....

Grey Mouser
10th Jul 2002, 23:35
Hmm...I don't think I have an AU8810 to test with (the Vortex Advantage), only an AU8820 and AU8830 (Vortex's 1 and 2, respectively). Hitman plays sound fine on both of the latter, but I have no personal experience with the Vortex Advantage. I am not so certain it is "100% DirectX 7 compliant".

I am assuming you followed the installation instructions on the Vortex of Sound site exactly?

Did you try doing as they suggested and Deleting the A3D.dll file from the Hitman installation directory, so that (in theory) Hitman then uses the A3D.dll in the Windows System folder?

Just for fun...are you able to successfully test all DirectSound tests on the DirectX Diagnostic Tools Sound Tab? (Start>Run>dxdiag>OK>Sound Tab)

And for more fun, try lowering sound acceleration down a notch on the sound tab, then try Hitman...then lower it another notch and try it again...

RJS
11th Jul 2002, 00:26
Thanks guys..

Ford, I'm starting to think that's the only option left!

Grey Mouser, thank a bunch, that does sound tedious but it's well worth a go.....

I will return with my sucess / failure sometime soon!

Zaphod
11th Jul 2002, 00:46
¬°Grey Mouser es el hombre mui macho!

Saba
11th Jul 2002, 05:16
Good luck, RJS.

RJS
11th Jul 2002, 06:58
Ok, after testing all the DirectSound in Direct X Diagnostic, there didnt seem to be anything physically wrong with my card.

So, I tried a few things simultaneously.... I deleted the a3d.dll file in Hitman dir, I pushed down hardware acceleration a notch, and I also unchecked 'Use Hardware' in Hitman in-game options (something I've never done before)

Game is now working FINE :D

I pushed the thing back to full acceleration in dxdiag and it still works, so it wasnt that..... but it was SOMETHING of the other two things.. I'm not too fussed which one accomplished it, and I'm not confident enough to go experimenting. Sound effects are back, and I'm happy :cool:

Thanks to everyone who helped me out... hopefully my description of what solved it for me might help others with the same card as mine.

Again, thanks everyone!