PDA

View Full Version : best lara voice in the games

snickrep2002
10th Jul 2002, 04:01
Which lara had the best voice in each of the games? Not counting movie since the movie was not a game. :D

its a hard vote for me, although I did not like the voice from tr4 and tr5. My favorite would have to be the one from the first tomb raider because she sound so sweet,strong,and powerful at the same time.

LarzBritsh
10th Jul 2002, 04:14
I thought that the TR4-TR5 Lara voice really captures the real Lara.

Sang
10th Jul 2002, 04:33
me like Lara voice in #2, sweet and classy!

tatsang_1989
10th Jul 2002, 04:58
I like lara`s voice in tomb raider 4 - 5. Sweet!

Blind Intentions
10th Jul 2002, 05:25
I really liked her voice from the first game...but I must say TR4 & 5 was the best in my opinion. I didn't like the voice in 2 & 3 because even though the accent was probably the best, the voice was too deep.

Bidy
10th Jul 2002, 20:50
I liked teenage Lara's voice in TR4 and 5. And the way she says "no" as an adult :D

TR_Freak
10th Jul 2002, 23:06
nooooo way!

tr2 and 3 had the best voice... very classy and sofficticated! it also is the voice of the game that got pretty much everyone hooked! to me that will always be the voice for lara... and every game im dissipointed by there choice (from tr4 on!)

snickrep2002
10th Jul 2002, 23:18
I agree tr_freak, the first 3 had the best voices. But 4 and 5, I just dunno why I hate the voices. I just do. I hope they don't use the lara voice from tr4 and tr5. I hope Core gets someone new that matches the etheir tomb raider 1 or tomb raider 2 and 3. Or angelina jolie would do a nice voice :D .

LaraAngelOfDarkness
10th Jul 2002, 23:22
It doesn't matter to me I like them all seeing as how they probably won't use any of the voices from 1-3 again it doesn't matter. I want Angelina to do the voice for part 6 even though I know they probably already have the voice acting done. :(

Aquarius
10th Jul 2002, 23:29
I wish they wouldn't keep changing who does the voice. It's rather annoying.

I picked the TR2 and TR3 voice. It always sounded the best of them all.

AOD510123
11th Jul 2002, 03:33
I liked Lara's voice in TR4 and TR5.

L Croft
13th Jul 2002, 17:12
I liked the voice in TR1 but i found the voice in #2 really irratiting.
I haven't played the others yet!
(sorry to those who liked it)

moose562
13th Jul 2002, 19:26
TR2 and 3 are easily the best voices!

TR4 & 5 had a lisp!

!ANNOYING!

the_internet_king
14th Jul 2002, 09:07
i liked the voice in tr5 i also liked zips voice he woz just funny well wot is with him any way he wasnt on any other games ??? (zip was the weird computer guy in vci that always talked 2 lara well i think his name woz zip lol) :p

the_internet_king
14th Jul 2002, 09:09
Originally posted by moose562
TR2 and 3 are easily the best voices!

TR4 & 5 had a lisp!

!ANNOYING!

did she have a lisp??? i didnt hear it :D

TombLady
14th Jul 2002, 13:37
I agree. My favourite Lara voice is from TR1, too.
Her voice became too high in TR4&5...I think Core tried too much to emphasize her sexuality as time passed by. (Especially her breasts-getting bigger and bigger, give her a break! :()

Crofterz
14th Jul 2002, 16:49
2 + 3 - Judith Gibbins, to me, is Lara.

Sugar Sprinkled Starfish
15th Jul 2002, 20:47
I liked TR2 and 3 a lot, but my favourite is number 1.

Aquarius
16th Jul 2002, 02:48
I just thought about something else about Lara and the voice associated with her.

Lara's 30 years old, the voice from TR2 and TR3 made her sound 30. It has the maturity, dignity, and sophistication that the other voices lack.

Although I cannot say anything about TRLR, but in TRC, the voice is from Lara's past. The voice fits with Lara's age at the time, i.e. Ireland, the Sub: They were all from when she was younger. The voice from TR3 is from (what was at the time) the present. Judith Gibbins will always be the voice of the maturity, dignity, and experience of Lara Croft. Now and forever...........

TombLady
16th Jul 2002, 03:07
Wow, that makes sense! Maybe that's why Lara's voice sounds higher and younger in TRC. That's very smart of you, Aquarius :)

But then, what about her voice in TRLR? She disappeared in Egypt, so Lara was the oldest in TRLR. But her voice sounds younger than the previous series...

TR_Freak
16th Jul 2002, 03:15
Aquarius - i seriously could not say it any better! that is EXACTLY the way i feel!

lara's voice just has that hard ending and not very noticeable but still very annoying lisp! i just didnt think that that was the voice for lara at all in tr4 and 5! I really think that if AJ did it it would just make the game that much better but i hope they pick a new but perfect voice! im sure since they spent so much time on it that they will pick a great voice! they better!

the_internet_king
16th Jul 2002, 19:49
i think they should get angelina jolie 2 voice the next game hehe

Kim's view
16th Jul 2002, 20:47
she sounds in her forties in 4 and 5 so i say the first one

LeeO
17th Jul 2002, 20:46
I voted for Tomb Raider, but there are bits that I like from all of the TRs except TR 2...

Tomb Raider:
Lara to Larson: "Thank you... I will."
Lara to Natla: "Kinda evolution on steroids?" and "Not without the heart of the operation!"

Tomb Raider 2:
TR2 was the only one I thought the acting was awful in...

Tomb Raider III:
Lara to Willard: "Your perception of good timing is... er... bad!"
I like that whole conversation actually!

TRLR:
Young Lara to Von Croy: "On your head be it... Von Croy..."
Lara to Ahmed: "You people ought to learn some manners..."

Chronicles:
Lara to Yarofev: "Not without you!"
Lara to Pierre: the whole "busy girl, gotta go..." scene. That was cool.

Movie:
"Really? That's fascinating..."
"Bryce... don't start!"
"It's not actually..."
"Was it programmed to stop before it took my head off?"

thanhkim
23rd Jul 2002, 11:00
I like the voices of Lara in the games and they are much more
sweeter than AJ's voice.

Mr Croft
2nd Aug 2002, 22:51
your all crazy! it was definitly the best in number 1, i cried wen i heard her voice changed in tr2 (no really, but its dramatic;) )

pinkluce
3rd Aug 2002, 15:12
I have to agree with snickrep about the voice from 1 being the best, it perfectly matched her attitude and upbringing

the last frustration
5th Aug 2002, 17:39
The TR1 voice was dead on - feminine and sophisticated, with just that little edge to it that makes Lara Croft.

Nybis
5th Aug 2002, 20:18
I liked the one from TR1 and was not to happy when they changed it for 2 & 3. But it kinda grew on me and after a while I began to really like it. So I'll have to cast my vote to 2 & 3.
I didn't like the voice of 4 & 5 at all. It didn't suit her.

io_
4th Aug 2003, 17:02
Judith gibbson in TR2; by far she was the one that made TR unique for me in IMHO

:D

KandiDuran
6th Aug 2003, 19:00
Tr 4, 5 and 6 ... had to add AOD....since she does all 3 games!

Blind Intentions
14th Aug 2003, 03:36
Do you think they will still use her now that CD has taken over tomb raider?

Jewell
20th Aug 2003, 19:38
Originally posted by snickrep2002
Or angelina jolie would do a nice voice :D .

I like TR 4 & 5 best... I also agree that AJ would do a good voice... She has a lovely tone...

TenChenZ
29th Aug 2003, 19:58
Wait .....Have I missed something I thought it was the SAME actress in all the games and EA festival demos?

Fave line
Tomb Raider 2:
"Ahh Jenobartellie , Viacaralavennie Venice"

lol

Fave Monk
Tomb Raider 2:
"You are my path beater to the next incarnation"

Lone Raider
30th Aug 2003, 00:06
Judith Gibbson (or was it Gibbins?) did TR2 and 3,
and Jonell (ugh, I forgot her name now!:o ) did TR4,5,6.

The Lady who did TR1 remains incognito. I have not been able to find any info on who she might be. She does sound, in my opinion, like that dark haired girl from UK who used to do a show about games pretty late at night on Channel 4 or 5, together with two other girlies
Sorry I canĀ“t be more precise, that was a few years back

.chio.
31st Aug 2003, 18:02
lara's voice in tr 2 and 3 is my favourite :), so classy and charismatic I was so dissapointed when they changed it, :(, that's for me the real lara voice :D

Silvers
1st Sep 2003, 17:59
Originally posted by Lone Raider
The Lady who did TR1 remains incognito. [/B]

According to the Internet Movie Database www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com) it was Shelley Blond. She had a good voice, but I think when you play the game now it suffers from playback quality issues.

Liked the latest ones best I think - in the films, that's the one AJ is copying (at least in CoL - I think).

Born Lippy
9th Sep 2003, 01:19
Oooooh i love it near the beginning of TR1 when she's talking to the guy by the not-a-waterfall and he says he's gonna "heelin hide ya to a barn door ye-ett!" or somethin of that sort and she says:
"Of course." Now THAT is Lara Croft's voice. Very nice.:D

The Master
13th Sep 2003, 10:50
Which lara had the best voice in each of the games? Not counting movie since the movie was not a game. :D

its a hard vote for me, although I did not like the voice from tr4 and tr5. My favorite would have to be the one from the first tomb raider because she sound so sweet,strong,and powerful at the same time.

I know that Judith Gibbins (TR2/3) is usually quoted as being "the" voice of Lara but personally I thought she was too old for the part (no offence if you're reading this Judith!) but my personal favourite was the voice of TR1 as she sounds much younger and more spirited like I imagine Lara to be! The voices of the last games are ok I guess.

The Master
13th Sep 2003, 10:54
Originally posted by Silvers
According to the Internet Movie Database www.imdb.com (http://www.imdb.com) it was Shelley Blond. She had a good voice, but I think when you play the game now it suffers from playback quality issues.

Liked the latest ones best I think - in the films, that's the one AJ is copying (at least in CoL - I think).

The playback quality issues are only present in the PC version which are rather poor quality audio tracks - the PlayStation version's tracks are very good quality and theres 57 of them as opposed to only 9 for the PC's!

thanhkim
5th Jun 2004, 21:00
Lara from 2 till 6 totally Larish!

Invincible
6th Jun 2004, 00:15
Well I'm not VOTING cos this just plain sucks.How come there is no Angel Of darkness in the selection *crosses hands and turns head*!!

Ok,here's what I know:
1)She sounded like a teenage boy going throught puberty :rolleyes:
2/3/4)Same I guess and Lara in younger daYS
Chronicles-well,some were ok like in Mystery Island when she was young,but some in Sub scenes in the last levels where just Too D*mn British ad awful
Ahhhh,Angel,I've got nothing bad to say about her voice there :D
It's Lara,it has it's depth,the voice changes and goes with different situations (nice acted and sweetly done):D
I'm so proud *tear*

brent6980
6th Jun 2004, 20:45
I voted for TR. I didn't realize that 2&3 were the same voice. In TR3 you can really notice the deepness. Especially when she pushes a block. Sounds like Sheeva in MK3.

snickrep04
7th Jun 2004, 01:40
wow, this is an old thread I did. :p

Chip Davis
10th Jun 2004, 16:07
I wish I hadn't traded in my copies of TR2 and 3, I'm curious to hear her voice in those. I always thought it was the same as in TR1, and that it only changed for TR4 and 5. I liked the TR4 and 5 voice the best because it didn't have that annoying raspy sound that it had in part 1. I can't comment on 2 and 3 since I no longer have those and don't remember them.

oracle
10th Jun 2004, 22:03
Originally posted by Nybis
I liked the one from TR1 and was not to happy when they changed it for 2 & 3. But it kinda grew on me and after a while I began to really like it. So I'll have to cast my vote to 2 & 3.
I didn't like the voice of 4 & 5 at all. It didn't suit her.

I would have to agree. I was very surprised when I began play TR2 and heard the voiceover change. Eventually, the new voice did grow on me. And I have found in the TR3 scene where she meets Dr. Willard and he makes her an offer, the deeper voice totally suits her when she responds:

"Shoot the breeze with some of your other boys? No thanks." With her facial expression, it fits.

But I did really like the voice in TR1, and also have to agree that this was one of my faves too:

Originally posted by Born Lippy
Oooooh i love it near the beginning of TR1 when she's talking to the guy by the not-a-waterfall and he says he's gonna "heelin hide ya to a barn door ye-ett!" or somethin of that sort and she says:
"Of course."

Very funny. Very Lara.

I have not yet played 4 or any of the others, so I will have to listen for the voice change.

Rascalius
10th Jun 2004, 23:30
READ THIS:::

Is the voice of Lara in TR1 performed by Samantha Janus???? It TOTALLY sounds like her, does anyone know?

Invincible
11th Jun 2004, 05:25
I don't even know who ta hell that is.:rolleyes:

TheBoo
11th Jun 2004, 12:00
Originally posted by Crofterz
2 + 3 - Judith Gibbins, to me, is Lara.

I agree. I liked hearing her talk about the obstacle course and the training room.

oracle
11th Jun 2004, 23:42
Oh yeah, and no matter who does the voice, probably the funniest line is from TR1's training session where you learn how to manuver her in the pool, and when she climbs out, Lara say,s "Right. Now I'd better take off these wet clothes." I remember the first time I heard that line I could not stop laughing.

snickrep04
12th Jun 2004, 02:37
I liked the TR1 lara voice, but my vote has to go to Judith Gibbins. I really hope they bring her back because her voice fitted Lara perfectly. The TR4-6 voice was awful in my opinion, although who ever the actress was she did ok in Angel of Darkness.

oracle, who could ever forget that line :).

susan
14th Jun 2004, 08:50
Originally posted by .chio.
lara's voice in tr 2 and 3 is my favourite :), so classy and charismatic I was so dissapointed when they changed it, :(, that's for me the real lara voice :D

I agree. I hope in the new game they bring back the voice of TR2 and 3. The voice in 4, 5 and 6 is too weak and it makes Lara seem weaker in these games. The voice doesn't have enough sass or strength or humour either. Feels like Lara is acting tough rather than actually being tough.

snickrep04
14th Jun 2004, 16:31
Here is just a little something about judith gibbons

here: http://www.amiannoying.com/2002/view.aspx?ID=5876

It says:

Why she might be annoying:

Because of her voice, guys have asked her on dates.
She refuses to make personal appearances.
Many people do not believe she is the voice of Lara Croft until she says 'Go back to the beginning and try again.'

Why she might not be annoying:

She has a sexy authoritative voice.
She feels if she made personal appearances, she might take away the fantasy of Lara Croft.
Her accent has been described as upper class and sweet.
Her brother Martin is a programmer for 'Tomb Raider.'

I have a few things to say, first of all Judith is the "true" lara voice. Did you read how she doesn't make personal appearances as she doesn't want to ruin the fantasy of lara?

Also, i never knew her brother worked as a programm from tomb raider.

lara forever
23rd Jun 2004, 13:56
Its got to be teenage lara her voice is so cute and innocent , Christ i sound like a pedo :(

Invincible
24th Jun 2004, 05:35
Originally posted by lara forever
Its got to be teenage lara her voice is so cute and innocent , Christ i sound like a pedo :(

Hahahah :D:D:D:D.....that was hilarious...and the smiley made it even more ;) :D

Alti
19th Jul 2004, 02:59
I liked Lara's voice from the first Tomb Raider.
;)

mrgrim747
24th Jul 2004, 14:49
Defo Judith Gibbins.

When I first heard the change I was irritated, but I warmed to her before the end of the obstacle course.

Plus she delivers the great scripts of 2 and 3 brilliantly. Her timing makes them funny.

To Barkhang Monk: "Their jackanory days are well over."

To cannibal: "You forget, I may be hungry myself, famished in fact."

Tony: "What do you want from me NOW?"
Lara: "Well, nothing that taxing."

Then she's able to make Lara sound serious at the right times too, like when she shows compassion for the soldier TR3's Crash Site level.

She also sounds a bit like Alex Kingston, who played Moll Flanders/ Cordaye from ER.

thanhkim
21st Aug 2004, 22:48
How about aod I think that's cool

BigJimUK
28th Aug 2004, 20:35
Originally posted by Rascalius
READ THIS:::

Is the voice of Lara in TR1 performed by Samantha Janus???? It TOTALLY sounds like her, does anyone know?

It does sound quite like her, but it's not. It's that Shelley Blond gal mentioned above.

BigJimUK
28th Aug 2004, 20:38
I've got to plump for the first game's voice. Crisp, precise and mildly upper class without being over the top. Judith Gibbons from 3 & 4 sounds makes Lara sound like a 45 year old housewife and the 5th game sounds okay, but for some reason it's not so redolent of cheek and personality as the first.

Lara1andonly
31st Aug 2004, 05:19
I agree tr_freak, the first 3 had the best voices. But 4 and 5, I just dunno why I hate the voices. I just do. I hope they don't use the lara voice from tr4 and tr5. I hope Core gets someone new that matches the etheir tomb raider 1 or tomb raider 2 and 3. Or angelina jolie would do a nice voice :D .

I have to agree with u on that one I think they should have Angelina Jolie do her voice. She sounded really great in the movie.:p

Lara1andonly
31st Aug 2004, 05:19

I have to agree with u on that one I think they should have Angelina Jolie do her voice. She sounded really great in the movie.:p