PDA

View Full Version : HTML Coding

Ghyron
9th Jul 2002, 16:41
I noticed that, through the supreme benevolence of the Deus Ex Forum Mods, HTML coding is allowed in those forums. This made me think, wouldn't HTML coding help us make the two currently running RPG's more... interesting and realistic? I asked, and was told, that whether or not such a blessing would be implemented was up to the former Startopia-Forum-Members-now-Mods AlphaOmega and Creamy_Goodness. What I am proposing is a trial period in which we can test this feature in this forum. Any abuses will end this trial period. Good Idea?

Allan_R
9th Jul 2002, 17:02
ya

DMA57361
9th Jul 2002, 17:26
Yeah. Sounds good to me.

AlphaOmega
9th Jul 2002, 20:35
email the admins, its their call...

Ghyron
9th Jul 2002, 20:44
I was told by "CatMan" that it was your descision.

AlphaOmega
9th Jul 2002, 20:47
I will discuss this with Creamy...

Ghyron
9th Jul 2002, 20:51
Thank you, most benevolent mod.

SkrasherSmasher
9th Jul 2002, 21:40
My question, what problems might arise from html code?

I don't really know much about it, and I don't want to run any risk of viruses, hacks, or other various computer no-nos that could arise from it. Again, I don't know much about it and I'm just being (paranoid) safe.

AlphaOmega
9th Jul 2002, 22:33
The reason HTML code is not active is for exactly that. It's not hard to put malicious code in...

Ghyron
9th Jul 2002, 22:48
The small size of the Startopia forum and the reputation of the users of it make it unlikely that problems will arise. However, if you do decide to institute HTML coding and people do abuse it, it would be correct to take the priviledge away. Either way, I doubt many people even know how to do HTML coding beyond basic bold, italics, underline, link, and image tags.

I guess the fact that the suggestion is coming from the evil meglomaniac shapeshifter hurts things a bit. :D

DMA57361
10th Jul 2002, 12:13
So if they turn on HTML code people could put ANY code into their post? At all? Including flash stuff, frames, tables, etc?

If so, I finally just realised why so few forums activate HTML . . .

Hmmm . . . could be worth having some sorta trial period to make sure people arn't going to mess about. But as Ghyron said - it's very unlikely any of the regulars will abuse it.

We just have to hope the next Dark Lord Of Spam cannot use HTLM . . .

SkrasherSmasher
10th Jul 2002, 14:42
Yes, Html code, in the wrong hands, spells doom for the entire universe of the startopian message boards.:eek: :eek:

AlphaOmega
10th Jul 2002, 21:03
I think not, I can see people putting looping midis and autoexecuting 10000 popups in their sigs already.

Looks like no, sorry guys, I know you could all handle it, but it takes one angry person to put a trojan up. Maybe in a month or two when stuff cools off for StarTopia a little more...

Ghyron
10th Jul 2002, 21:40
Oh well, I suppose we can live without it. :( It is rather sad that most human customs are based upon the very few that disrupt society.

At least the issue was considered for a moment, although I am sad that a trial period was not implemented.

AlphaOmega
11th Jul 2002, 04:36
By "no" I mean "possibly".

Hang on a day or two for an announcement...

NZrevenge
14th Jul 2002, 12:56
I voted yes because a lot of the pictures I try to post here never work with IMG tags. Most likely because the address is too long, though I'm just hoping that HTML wont have the same restrictions...

SkrasherSmasher
14th Jul 2002, 22:35
Originally posted by Ghyron
The small size of the Startopia forum and the reputation of the users of it make it unlikely that problems will arise.

Problem is if we get flooded by people from the general forum/other Edios forums. Then we suddenly have over/about 100 people, any of which could be serious (insert 10 word long combination of derogatory words and curses.)

Definatly don't want those (same word combination) having the ability to mess us up with some of these evil things.

Ghyron
14th Jul 2002, 22:47
Erm, why would that happen?

SkrasherSmasher
16th Jul 2002, 00:08
I dunno, why don't super mutant flying munkees attack Earth with random acts of spit bombardment??

Ghyron
16th Jul 2002, 02:40
'Cause, when you blow dirt up it doesn't shreik with pain?

Memau_on_Steroids
2nd Aug 2002, 18:03
My god! This discussion has brought meaning to my life! It is all so clear. The Flying Munkee Spittle and the Shrieking Dirt! It all makes sense!

<Runs off to join a convent>

Ghyron
2nd Aug 2002, 20:45
Originally posted by AlphaOmega
Maybe in a month or two when stuff cools off for StarTopia a little more...

Things have quited down.