PDA

View Full Version : DX:MD - HACKING - All Discussion Thread

NUCLEAR3NAKE
28th Aug 2016, 07:34
why have you made hacking so much harder than DE-HR?

...even with stealth maxed out i trigger lvl2 nodes 4 out of 5 times!

it feels like the chance of detection has been tripled compared to human revolution :mad:

you really should fix this^^

Doezer49
28th Aug 2016, 13:19
It's pretty much the same as in HR... Just boost your hacking stealth augs and you'll be fine

Spagyria
28th Aug 2016, 23:38
Is anyone else having an issue with being able to resize the hacking area via the mouse wheel. It lets me make it bigger but does not allow me to take it down to a size where I can see the entire layout, even when using reveal software.

TinyPenguininja
29th Aug 2016, 00:11
I've personally found the hacking to be way better.
It's easier to control and has a wonderful fluidity to it that HR lacked. However with that increased control over the hacking, they have made it a tiny bit more difficult.
However, I've only failed one hack since I got all the stealth upgrades and that was because I hit a firewall with my first capture

besyuziki
29th Aug 2016, 00:57
I think it's an improvement. In HR even level 5 hacking was trivial in most cases, very rarely requiring you to abort or spend one Stop!

in MD it's actually challenging.

SquareWastesMyTime
29th Aug 2016, 04:17
I think it's an improvement. In HR even level 5 hacking was trivial in most cases, very rarely requiring you to abort or spend one Stop!

Agreed. Hacking in Human Revolution wasn't much more challenging than watching the hacking bar fill up in Deus Ex 1 (assuming you boosted your hacking augs). Now it's actually pretty tense, and I find myself using a lot more Stop! Worms and nuking more nodes.

Ieldra2
29th Aug 2016, 11:35
I experience hacking as significantly harder than in DX:HR. I don't recall DX:HR's numbers, but didn't higher capture levels also decrease the detection probability in lower-rated nodes? As it is now, level 5 nodes can't have a detection probability lower than 60%, even with the highest stealth level, and that makes any but the simplest level 5 computers/pads simply uneconomical to hack. You'll need so many nukes, stop worms, overclockers etc.. that it's more feasible to use a multitool most of the time.

Also, the results of a reveal are reset if you abort a hacking attempt. That makes no sense. And the Nuke virus' certain detection turns it into something I rarely use at all.

Xerevantes
29th Aug 2016, 15:29
I have barely used any of the softwares to hack level 5 terminals. A lot of those have pre-made passwords around the area anyway.

cousinit99
30th Aug 2016, 02:19
Is anyone else having an issue with being able to resize the hacking area via the mouse wheel. It lets me make it bigger but does not allow me to take it down to a size where I can see the entire layout, even when using reveal software.

YES. OMFG. Yes. I am having that exact problem. Christ's sake Eidos, let people ZOOM OUT. The ridiculously gargantuan "Stop Worm" button is in my ******* way all the time! It's cumbersome and feels sloppy!

reallybigjohnson
30th Aug 2016, 13:07
Its better than HR but for some reason no one has made hacking as good as it was in Sega's version of Shadowrun which came out in 1993. Now that was an awesome hacking minigame.

NUCLEAR3NAKE
30th Aug 2016, 21:43

yea, it's way more harder because the AI use stopworms and nukes themself! and there are random invisible firewalls between some nodes... :(
in HR hacking was kinda fun and i never used any found codes, but in MD hacking is such a pita that i always use codes and multitools now :(

pranay27
31st Aug 2016, 01:59
I experience hacking as significantly harder than in DX:HR. I don't recall DX:HR's numbers, but didn't higher capture levels also decrease the detection probability in lower-rated nodes? As it is now, level 5 nodes can't have a detection probability lower than 60%, even with the highest stealth level, and that makes any but the simplest level 5 computers/pads simply uneconomical to hack. You'll need so many nukes, stop worms, overclockers etc.. that it's more feasible to use a multitool most of the time.

Also, the results of a reveal are reset if you abort a hacking attempt. That makes no sense. And the Nuke virus' certain detection turns it into something I rarely use at all.

I have noticed the exact same thing. Even though i have the hacking stealth aug maxed out the capture detection % of level 5 nodes is still 60%. I thought it was supposed to be 15% or something. I have submitted a ticket for the same. Hopefully square enix will fix the issue. This is really frustrating as i love to hack my way through missions :mad: :(

NUCLEAR3NAKE
31st Aug 2016, 07:13
dear devs, it may sound a bit harsh, but your random firewall detection between nodes is the most stupid game mechanic in the whole game!
hacking should be some sort of entertaining mini game but it SHOULD NOT be a time consuming loading/reloading event!!!
it's so frustrating loading low-lvl hacks over and over again because of this! i have maxed out my hacking skills, but hacking in MD still feels super annoying! - i don't like it at all :thud:

you created such a perfect world with DE:MD where i can totally dive in and enjoy the illusion, but hacking with it flaws rupts me everytime out of it^^

you tried to make hacking more attractive, but in the end you totally overtuned it (too time consuming) and failed... :(

VonStruddle
1st Sep 2016, 19:42
Agreed. Hacking in Human Revolution wasn't much more challenging than watching the hacking bar fill up in Deus Ex 1 (assuming you boosted your hacking augs). Now it's actually pretty tense, and I find myself using a lot more Stop! Worms and nuking more nodes.

Agreed completely. I have no stealth skill in hacking due to the fact I realized early on that it seemed better to just run as fast as you can through it. If that takes a few cancels then it did in HR then so be it. It is about having options now instead of feeling like you have to have hacking to complete the mission requirements without setting off an alarm. We now have the choice instead of the obligation to improve hacking augs. I think it is an obvious improvement. With multi-tools back in the game being proficient in hacking is not always a requirement. Feels like a throw back to DE 1 and I like it. Just waiting for some lock picks to show up. Speaking logically if society noticed a lot more people hacking into stuff they would move towards more analog locking mechanisms in favor of it being harder to break by the average person running a mini-computer in their head plugged up to the system even worse a wi-fi adapter shoved in their hand... :D

jflow1
2nd Oct 2016, 21:24
I have done a test just now while hacking a Security Rating Level 1 Hack...I have 5 of 5 Capture and Maxed Stealth Hacking...I failed 27 times in a row on the 1st to 3rd nodes from the start being 1 rated nodes with 15% chance to get caught...I am trying to find the validity of 15% chance to being caught and being caught 27 times in a row...Would someone please explain to how this works or is it backwards and all the praxis points I used on Hacking actually useless since 15% must be the chance to be NOT detected...???? I've tried the same test with rolling 1 ten sided die and 1 100% ten sided die...27 times in a row I NEVER rolled 15% I am questioning your games RNG completely!

PugPug
3rd Oct 2016, 18:38

It's not just you. We can't zoom out very much. Hamstringing the interface is an aggravating way to add difficulty.

The new hacking screen really took some getting used to. The old one was much clearer. I had to get used to the new background and everything being all glowy. I even had to get used to knowing where to click on a node to select it. It definitely could have used some play testing with Human Revolution players approaching the new hacking for the first time.

I would have not included reveal and datascan software, since you can just use them and load up a save from a few seconds earlier. I know we don't have to, but we can, and I think preventing the temptation would have been a good move.