PDA

View Full Version : The Significance Of Signature Banners

Dell
9th Jul 2002, 10:36
Signature banners and avatars are of great importance and significance to forum members everywhere.

Today we shall discuss the deeper meanings and relative worth of signature banners as they are displayed as indicators of personal identity among the otherwise unidentifiable masses of Internet forum frequenters. You can be sure that a discussion and understanding of the deeper meanings in each banner choice is a subject worthy of merit because it will enhance your sharpness of eye in picking out the characteristics actual or intended to be implied in each banner choice.

To begin with, please note the various indicators of identity chosen by different people. No two ever seem to travel the same route, although some do seem to find similar kinds of pictures pleasing to them.

You will also note that some people prefer to stay with banners that they have chosen and which have been their personal signatures for long periods of time. An example of this would be our illustrious forum moderator, Moggraider, and his banner depiction of a vicious but relatively innocuous character of no particular importance from a deck of Magic cards.

http://moggraider.homestead.com/files/moggbanr.jpg

On the on the other hand, an example of a person who prefers to change their signatures more often would be today's speaker, Dell, who prefers the artistic, theme-directed signature banner, usually with strongly feminine pictures and/or connotations that express her personality.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.murphy33/masquerade.jpg

This particular kind of highly feminine theme is to be found in both Mouse's signature banners,

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.murphy33/beginner.jpg

and in Taboo's banners:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.murphy33/taboomirror.jpg

Another example would be the signature banner of Arkron, the dragon flying onward toward the sunlight...a distant goal. He created this himself and it has a great meaning to him. He stays by it, satisfied that it personally identifies him...and I think it does, more the dreamer than he will admit.

http://www.arkron.homestead.com/files/SunchaserBanner.jpg

I will end this lecture at this point. Your assignment then will be to discuss the relative meanings you can decipher in the banner choices made by different people, or post your own banner in this topic and explain the subtleties, meanings, and ramifications of the various elements incorporated therein.

N00dles
9th Jul 2002, 13:17
My banner currently doesn't really express anything...It's merely a parody on the use of banners in general, as in: "Hey everybody, I made a banner! Look how beautiful it is and I'm going to show it every time I post!"

That's THIS banner:

http://members.chello.nl/~h.cramm/eidoslook.jpg

The second banner I made is a more 'serious' banner. Although not a symbol for my character (the pictures in it are rather incoherent), but I kind of like it; two of my favourite characters in it (Mog and a Chocobo) and some bright colors (red planet and flames on a dark background).
Now that I think of it, that red planet looks a bit like Meteor, so there, another thing from FF7 :D

http://members.chello.nl/~h.cramm/eidoschocolq.jpg

Dell
9th Jul 2002, 15:20
The first banner looks a little angry, as though you were also expressing a bit of hostility towards those who do come up with picuresque and attractive banner ideas. Could that be possible?

As for the second one, the use of vivid primary colors indicates a vibrant and lively character, but is that chocobo in distress? Looks like it to me. Again an expression of hostility is it not?

And where is the third character? I can't find it! Ah, found it sitting on the chocobo's back! Lovable little critter expressing your gentler nature.

Moggraider
9th Jul 2002, 15:33
Cute. Very cute.

Dell
9th Jul 2002, 18:18
Moggraider has pronounced benediction upon this topic, calling it not only "cute" but "very cute". So we shall continue our study of the various signature banners to be found here.

Now this next one has puzzled me for a long time. Vakusuma has kept it through good times and bad, and has, I believe, only etouched it on one occasion.

The colors are dim and dark indicating a very private person with a great aura of inscrutability, yet the V initial of his name is large and positve, denoting an authoritative figure, a presence to be reckonned with. However, I have been puzzled about the figure displayed there...is it a giant snapping turtle? Or some esoteric creature of meaning to him and to the enlightened few?

We will have to ask him for further explanations of his fascinating banner with the 101010101 coding border visibly displayed.

http://vakusuma.homestead.com/files/vakubanner.gif

In the meantime, would someone else like to venture an explanation of this banner?

*Please note that I have honored Vakusuma with my 150th post!

N00dles
9th Jul 2002, 18:42
Originally posted by Dell
The first banner looks a little angry, as though you were also expressing a bit of hostility towards those who do come up with picuresque and attractive banner ideas. Could that be possible?

No. It's more a surprised look on his face, or shocked. At least, it was intended to be. To me, the emotin is rather clear.

As for the second one, the use of vivid primary colors indicates a vibrant and lively character, but is that chocobo in distress? Looks like it to me. Again an expression of hostility is it not?

And where is the third character? I can't find it! Ah, found it sitting on the chocobo's back! Lovable little critter expressing your gentler nature.

No, if you look well you can see these three faded images of the Chocobo behind the front one, right? Well, these indicate that the Chocobo is running at a high speed. It has nothing to do with distress, hostility or anything. I just thought it would look cool if I added some layers with a slighty faded " double image" behind it.
And about the bright / primary colours: I like sharp colours, it makes the banner less dull. :)

Arkron
9th Jul 2002, 21:48
Another example would be the signature banner of Arkron, the dragon flying onward toward the sunlight...a distant goal. He created this himself and it has a great meaning to him. He stays by it, satisfied that it personally identifies him...and I think it does, more the dreamer than he will admit.

Thanks Dell :)

But I'm already putting together ideas for another one.. I rahter doubt it will be as catching for myself as my current one, but I think I need the change

Goku Noble Warrior
9th Jul 2002, 22:03
I plan on getting a new banner soon, as for mine, While there are definetly better animes out there other thank Dragon Ball Z, I've always loved Gokus personality. He is Honest, Strong, Noble, Believes in others and thinks everybody deserves a second chance or a chance to change.I picked the two pictures and my good friend Vakusuma made my current banner from them.

SirCanealot
10th Jul 2002, 11:56
First person to post my banner gets teh shots.

I really need to do a new one. Maybe one on Auron from FFX or Kaze from FFU. Damn decideing is hard work :rolleyes:

Dell
11th Jul 2002, 12:43
What? Post your banner and risk "The Wrath of Cane"?

Never happen, never happen in this world. Now the next? Perhaps.

vakusuma
11th Jul 2002, 14:16
Heh, thanks.

Actually, that banner was made by Immortalized of FFA a long time ago... I haven't made a banner since because I'm way too lazy :)

Now... to analyze my banner...

The coding border I assume means that I like to break complex problems into simpler, more understandable terms, as binary is the computer's universal language.

The figure depicted is a Protoss Zealot, basically a warrior with dedication that borders on self-sacrifice.

I dunno. All I said above was only due to a moment's thought :p

Rengar
11th Jul 2002, 23:28
Maybe if I was using a cable modem, I wouldn't mind the banners......but being I'm at 28.8....I freaking hate them. Stop it!

:p

Should we start posting our desktops now? In Bmp format? LOL.

Dell
12th Jul 2002, 12:46
Rengar, I am so sorry about your modem speed, but do you really feel that all of us should forego our personal statements of identity because your modem is slower than most are nowadays?

Isn't that very much like what has happened to the entire educational system in the United States of America? They started lowering standards of performance to suit the slowest and most backward students...like not posting banners because of your modem speed...and now look at the illiterates unable to read and write the English language who are running around demanding now that employers lower their performance standards and hire people unable to perform the jobs required.

Indeed, this opens up the entire subject of "haves" and "have nots", widening the gap between people instead of bringing them closer together.

Reducing the entire population to the performance level of the lowest common denominator.

"Mathematicus Absurdicus!"

Thougnts??

Moggraider
12th Jul 2002, 15:47
It's the American way.

Rengar
13th Jul 2002, 00:33
umm....that was supposed to be funny.

Moggraider
13th Jul 2002, 00:45
I knew that. You knew that. Dell didn't know that.

Arkron
13th Jul 2002, 08:41
Must be encoded ;)

Dell
13th Jul 2002, 10:05
Wanna bet Dell didn't know it? Do you not see the humor in my reply? "Mathmaticus Absurdicus"? You don't find that extemporaneously created definition funny?

And stop speaking for what I think or don't think, know or don't know, Moggraider. Those are ASSumptions made by an ASSuming person who is not privy to "inside" information.

And that is some more extemporaneous humor! :p

Moggraider
14th Jul 2002, 06:15
No, you definitely seem serious in that post. You used "Mathematicus Absurdicus" to refer to the US's attitude of appealing to the LCD, which you likened to Rengar's proposed situation. The use of the phrase does not give your post a humorous sense. Besides, 360 and I agree that your post's attitude is serious, so, if anyone should be learning to understand anything, it should be you learning how to come across as humorous.

*whew*

N00dles
14th Jul 2002, 14:14
Actually I also thougt your (Dell's) post was meant to be serious. :)

Xcom
14th Jul 2002, 16:32
Originally posted by Rengar
Maybe if I was using a cable modem, I wouldn't mind the banners......but being I'm at 28.8....I freaking hate them. Stop it!

The solution to your problem lies in the User CP->Edit Options screen where you can disable displaying of signatures. ;)

Dell
14th Jul 2002, 18:56
Thank you X-com...neat solution.

Now then, clearly my heavy handed, ponderous attempt at humor is definitely not appreciated by ... well the frequenters of this forum. Therefore, I shall cease and desist any attempt at being funny, and devote myself to the seriously intelligent topics discussed here.

Now to find a seriously intelligent topic...

Moggraider
14th Jul 2002, 18:56
Good enough for me.

3car
15th Jul 2002, 13:16
Well-

you've figgered out everbody elses banner; figger out mine. ;)

SirCanealot
15th Jul 2002, 16:21
Well I could see the humour. Its just that Dell cant do that type of humour. Which isnt saying any thing bad about her. Becuase humour like that is bloody hard to do. Epecially on the internet with the lack of loud speakers.. .

Dell
15th Jul 2002, 20:48
Ah, 3car, the man seriously devoted to having no banner. Now there are a few I could suggest, all of which would deal with shadows and dimmly seen lurkers flitting though misty village back streets. The quiet man at the end of the bar, or alone in the very back booth. His black car parked in the village square as dawn outlines the church spire . . .

I know you have the expertise, 3car, the ability and the talent to create whatever you chose to represent your alternate personality, your off-stage persona...but you choose to remain faceless. The quiet man...who never smiles.

How true Sir Canealot that my humor is on a different level...tending toward the british type of dry witticism rather than the robust ribald punch 'em out type so prevalent here in the unreal world.

SirCanealot
16th Jul 2002, 00:13
Dell you DONT do british humour. Maybe you do British Humour of a few years back but well.. I'm a prime example of British Humour of today and hows its heading any way. Just play weird really. Your humours more the clever side of things. Actually its the humour I can apriciate the least but damnit. When somethings funny something is HELLUVA funny round 'ere...

N00dles
16th Jul 2002, 18:56
British humor owns :)

Much better than the 'other humors'...

Even better than mine.

uSernaMe
23rd Jul 2002, 20:38
I've got a new banner...it seems signifigant.

uSernaMe
23rd Jul 2002, 20:42
I don't know who the hell that guy in it is though, but he looks cool.

Moggraider
23rd Jul 2002, 21:23
You just managed to find him in some random site?

Dell
23rd Jul 2002, 21:26
Hmmm. He not only looks "cool", he looks downright cold...as in dead! Are you sure this is not the figure found on top of tombs? Or perhaps himself inside his casket?

Very severe and black and white and frightening when you really look at it. Are you expressing your inner self? The death wish?

Yes, Death Wish is the name I would call this banner....intriguing.

Dark and threatening... http://members.lycos.nl/fantasyfarm/vamphy.gif

uSernaMe
23rd Jul 2002, 21:51
Actually a friend of mine (DoctorSonic, waiting for authorization email for about 40 minutes now) made this banner for me. He's the coolest guy in the world.

EDIT:
That's the last time I give you my password, doctorsonic. I think I'll change it. Then I'll go and hurt your feelings with some insults. MWAHAHAHA!

Rengar
24th Jul 2002, 00:56
I thought, British Humor was like the Benny Hill Show :eek: ....or Monty Python :cool:

TiadaghtonDude
24th Jul 2002, 00:57
I make my own banners . . . which would explain their relative suckiness when compared to most every one else's banner.

windcloud
24th Jul 2002, 03:24
i also make my own banners... and i like to believe that they look better than those that are made by Tight on dude's :p

Dell
24th Jul 2002, 18:31
Can anyone remember that very first banner of mine? The one with the moon and the unicorn? My I was proud of that...windcloud, was that you who hosted it for me?

Moggraider
24th Jul 2002, 21:19
No, 'twas I.

Dell
24th Jul 2002, 21:38
I know someone put a frame around it for me didn't they? Do you still have it Moggraider?

Arkron
24th Jul 2002, 22:11
DoctorSonic? That was the annoying guy at the Not Eidos board right? ;)

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 02:05
nope, didn't host it... but i made it :D

http://windcloud02.homestead.com/files/dell.gif

and doctersonic... i kinda remember the guy...

DoctorSonic
25th Jul 2002, 02:35
The annoying guy? Yes, that was me. Glad to see I'm still imprinted on your memories. :)
It never sent the authorization email to my Hotmail account so I re-regged with "DoctorSonic2" using a different email and it worked this time, I dont know why, I had no junk mail filters on.
Im going to pm an admin in a sec. Just wanted to say sup.

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 03:28
err... yeah... you can err... go away now. :rolleyes:

DoctorSonic
25th Jul 2002, 04:39
Boy do we hold a grudge. I was only messin with yall back then anyway, if you still harbor feelings against me then oh well.
Geez.

uSernaMe
25th Jul 2002, 05:09
Fight!

DoctorSonic
25th Jul 2002, 05:29
I refuse to stoop to that immature level. If you want to hold a grudge Windcloud that's cool, I dont care. But if you want to just drop it and be friendly then that's cool too. But I wont be "flaming" anyone here.
I'm too tired anyway.

Moggraider
25th Jul 2002, 05:58
Personally, I would've gone for Dr.Sonic before I ever went for DoctorSonic2.

windcloud
25th Jul 2002, 06:11
Is that Kenshin in your banner? i suddenly like you now... :rolleyes:

DoctorSonic
25th Jul 2002, 06:23
I dont like "Dr. Sonic" ... Another long story.
And Im only using this name until the admin pms me back if he can resend the authorization email to the DoctorSonic account.
PS - Yes that is Kenshin.

uSernaMe
26th Jul 2002, 00:06
Haha! I got my registration date back! I think that makes me a veteran.

DoctorSonic
26th Jul 2002, 02:07
Originally posted by uSernaMe
Haha! I got my registration date back! I think that makes me a veteran.
Lies... ALL LIES!!!
~ Frau (Austin Powers)

Dell
26th Jul 2002, 17:15
Ah, what the hay! It isn't who you was but who you is that means anything, now, right?

And oh, Windcloud, does that banner ever bring back old memories of who I were...but isn't no more.

windcloud
26th Jul 2002, 19:20
oh yeah...

Arkron
26th Jul 2002, 20:20
Well.. updated my profile as you can probably see. I've actually finished it some weeks ago, claimed I was going to add some more detail and fix some errors and then didn't have the time to do it anymore. Anyway, I hope you'll like the 'unfixed state' ;)

Oh, and I added a quote from my very first D&D character. It came after a near death experience when planeshifting for the very first time

Cheers

windcloud
27th Jul 2002, 01:14
i really like your new banner. If you outline it with a gold border, it'll look even better

Dell
27th Jul 2002, 08:24
Been waiting for this! And Ohhh! Indeed this is a most telling and creative banner! Don't you just know the story of life is there in that Dragon still Seeking? Wonder what he looks for beyond those far horizons?

And will he ever find it?

willow
27th Jul 2002, 11:42
discuss:

Dell
28th Jul 2002, 15:46
"and as god cried... he forgot my name."

That in itself is almost as obscure as your banner. Dark, brooding, and full of meanings only you can interpret. Inward turned...

That is what I feel.

And how strange and coincidental that I recently wrote a poem about ...a sparrow that God forgot.

Taboo
28th Jul 2002, 18:01
This is one strange thread, but interesting. I think.

Dell
1st Aug 2002, 07:18
Indeed, I find it very fascinating. People reveal much more about themselves than they realize when they display their sig banners. They are Signature banners, who you are in this forum.

Notice yours, Taboo...Smoke and Mirrors...the ultimate in hidden agendas and motives. I know you personally, but how about all these other online people who are judging you--however subliminally influenced--by the banner impression you choose to present?

Dell
5th Aug 2002, 10:42
What would happen, I wonder, if I posted a strange sig/banner and asked you all to comment and discuss the feelings it evokes in you and what story you think it tells...

Would anyone be interested in doing that? Oh heck, I'll just do it and see what happens...hopefully a lot of feedback of a thoughtful kind!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.murphy33/Dell/together3.jpg

windcloud
5th Aug 2002, 17:41
windcloud thinks that the girl is hot, and naked... really naked... yep.

Dell
5th Aug 2002, 19:05
That wasn't the point. She is not a human girl. Look again. The point is what do you think is the story behind the banner...what does it tell?

windcloud
5th Aug 2002, 19:51
the point is she's naked... really naked... and muscular too :p

okies... seriously, i think she's a wolf girl, abandoned as a child and raised up by wolfs... whee!

Dell
8th Aug 2002, 13:06
And Windcloud, how do you analyze my new sig/banner? Food for thought?

Deekman
8th Aug 2002, 17:52
Visiting by invitation.
Had I come here earlier, perhaps I would have voted differently in the Sig contest back on the main.
I would loved to have been able to peruse everybody's sigs more quickly and
efficiently. I'm wondering if there could be a way to have them dispayed in the user profiles.

About my sig.
I've never been a fan of the full six 450X150 sigs. (Tho I have seen some beautiful ones.)
I always liked the more steamlined and cozy looking ones. That guy in
uSernaMe's looks like Captain Atom from DC comics (formerly from the old Charlton comics). That's a cool sig BTW.
Anyways, I've used the train for a long time in many forums.
I've always been a big rail fan and the best part about the train is that I can change the individual cars themselves to suit my needs.
Also, I like their compactness and unobtrusiveness.
I only have a couple quotes that I use. The one I'm using now and this one:
"Heaven for Climate - Hell for Company" J.M. Barrie.
Sometimes I'll have the words "speedingalongtoAlexandria" in place of one of the cars.

I was also a big fan of the old Cutties flags. So much so that I opened up shop in the old forum under the awning of Cap'n Skusting's Flag Emporium.
I was stitching flags/sigs/banners for a good number of folks. I wish they made the Flagimation flag animation program for the Mac.
Well, the emporium sort of evolved into the Sig Asylum, which is now run by
Staticon over on the main. I just couldn't keep up with the number of requests for sigs, but Staticon is a good egg and is pretty much right on top of things.
I guess he keeps my name on the awning as a tribute to the Asylum's roots.
(Thanks, Stat)
Nice place you have here.

carry on...
DEEKMAN aka Cap'n Skusting

Staticon
8th Aug 2002, 17:52
Originally posted by Dell on General Community Chat Forum
Way down at the bottom of the forum listings is Final Fantasy VII, the home base of some of us. There is a thread there about the significance of the banners people choose and use. Why not visit. display your banner. and tell us your ideas about the who and why of sig banners? Maybe you would like a little feedback on how yours might be interpreted by others?
As invited, thought I'd pop in and say hi!
If you fancy having a go at interpreting this, feel free :D

edit: I have enjoyed reading this thread so far :) :)

vakusuma
8th Aug 2002, 18:10
Welcome to our home :D

Chilled Unit
8th Aug 2002, 18:27
Hey Deekman, I like your sigs in user profiles idea!

I wonder if the admins can do it, or would let it be done!

:)

Dell
8th Aug 2002, 18:45
For Staticom: Oh my! The significance of that banner is interesting, and I quote:

" Boadicea, or Boudicca meaning Victorious, was Queen of the Iceni tribe of East Anglia. She led a rebellion in 60 A.D. against the Romans, destroying the cities of Colchester, St. Albans and capturing London. She was eventually defeated by the Romans, and rather than be humiliated by them, she poisoned herself.
-- Roma Ryan, in Enya's The Celts CD booklet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOADICEA : QUEEN OF THE ICENI

Julius Caesar had started Britain's invasion in 55 B.C., but never really managed to impose his domination over the Britons[1]. It was in 43 A.D. that the Emperor Claudius ordered that Britain should be conquered. It is during this second invasion that Boadicea's story is set.

Boadicea was described as a fearsome, powerful woman. This description comes from a Roman writer:

"She was very tall. Her eyes seemed to stab you. Her voice was harsh and loud. Her thick, reddish-brown hair hung down below her waist. She always wore a great golden torc around her neck and a flowing tartan cloak fastened with a brooch."
-- Cassius Dio, quoted by Terry Deary in The Rotten Romans.

Boadicea

Queen of the Iceni, leading the Britons against the Roman army under Suetonius. Seeing her troops defeated with the slaughter of 80.000 men, she terminated her life by poison, in order to avoid falling into the power of the Roman General."

Indeed, a fearsome lady of some great repute in British history.

And even more interesting, when searcihing with Google, the second entry has to do with: Banner exchange, crossbow art on banners.

Would there be a certain significance in that? :)

And for Deekman, a neat sig banner, a neat idea about having them show in the profiles....and because you are very interested in trains, I see no deep significance in your banner other than a plain and clever statement of your interest!

Staticon
9th Aug 2002, 07:47
If there is any significance in the banner exchange reference, it was a subconscious one. I merely used Britannia as she is a symbol of my country, and I am proud of her.
Nonetheless, an interesting thought. But what about the person behind the banner? :)
A clue - I am neither fierce nor fearsome (unless you have a phobia of being sat on by an elephant). :D

Deekman
9th Aug 2002, 12:18
Here's the one I was using before I revived the train:
http://www2.eboard.com/eboard/boards/10/67/99/SkustingsFlagEmporium/att-590223/drip.gif
and occaisionally this:
http://www2.eboard.com/eboard/boards/10/67/99/SkustingsFlagEmporium/att-597585/Dcellar2.gif

Dell
9th Aug 2002, 20:31
I can't tell for sure what is dripping from the small black one, but I really like that Deekman's Cellar!

Outstanding idea and nice all around picture! Yep, I am enthusiastic about it. Hit my tastes squarely! As long as that is really not where the bodies are buried...

It also brings up faint images of a clown face...John wayne Gacy burying bodies somewhere under his house. Shudders...

Yes it attracts and repels me at the same time!