PDA

View Full Version : What's with the 18-hour release delay for PC players?

Dr_Bob
22nd Aug 2016, 18:32
So Deus Ex: MD will unlock at 5pm UK/6pm CEST/9am PDT tomorrow.

Here is a photo of my boxed copy of the game that I got on Saturday: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12580001/CqS5U_bWEAEWx30.jpg

Steam refused to install the game using the disks, because of the release date protection, so I used my serial and downloaded the game instead.

Had I bought and received an early copy of the PS4/Xbone version, I would've been able to play the game immediately without this release date protection nonsense.

I was expecting this game to go live at midnight tonight, especially considering how digital console versions will do just that: https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/767713763038494720

So what's the deal? Why are legitimate PC players essentially being shafted with this abritrary unlock time?

Dark2k
22nd Aug 2016, 20:49
if i had known that before, i had´nt pre-orderd.. and i would have bought it for console... damn ****. i thought i could play all night... but that PC-politics... i hate it.

poptaz3r
22nd Aug 2016, 20:53
I am so disappointed with this PC release schedule, especially with such a late announcement. (day before, really) How do they justify console user having it 12 hours before PC?

PC, first in pre-load last to unlock.
Well done in tamping down my hype SE.

I am thankful that I don't live in Australia and play on PC. Ouch!

LordAshington
23rd Aug 2016, 10:45
Seriously annoyed at this I have to wait until after midnight tonight (Australia yay!) just to play the game and I had to download it off steam instead of off the disks or else I would have had to wait longer. I do not understand why they have to have a consistent release time and "strike force" for resolving issues as they arise, it's almost as if they are expecting game breaking issues on release.

I'm lucky I'm a student and can pull an all nighter for this but I really feel sorry for the poor schmucks who will have to wait until after work tomorrow just to play it on pc.

Isefenoth
23rd Aug 2016, 13:28
Just bought a physical copy for PC. Now getting a pop-up that I can't install the game?
Why even sell a physical copy if you can't install from it? :mad2:

Vhailor19
23rd Aug 2016, 14:24
I'm highly annoyed at SE's decision as well, and it'll definitely be a factor as I make purchasing decisions around future SE titles. It's not a huge issue (unlike, say, Ubisoft's forced integration of uPlay), but it is ridiculous for the platform that MADE this franchise what it is to get delayed access.

Dr_Bob
23rd Aug 2016, 15:25
Just bought a physical copy for PC. Now getting a pop-up that I can't install the game?
Why even sell a physical copy if you can't install from it? :mad2:

I believe the disk content isn't encrypted, so Steam won't let you install the game from it.

Your only option as this stage is to redeem your serial and download the game.

Vhailor19
23rd Aug 2016, 15:33
I believe the disk content isn't encrypted, so Steam won't let you install the game from it.

Your only option as this stage is to redeem your serial and download the game.

You can install the game from the disk content as soon as the game's release window is open. There's no need to download the game; that would defeat the entire point of a disk in the first place.