PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Remake

snickrep2002
8th Jul 2002, 18:01
I was reading a post that LaraAngelOfDarkness made and it was about the article in the PSM magazine.

Near the end it said:

So the future looks bright for Ms. Croft. If core can reach its high ambition level for this game, The PS2 may see a rebirth of a classic series. With so much ridding on the line, we're betting they come out with both guns blazzing

So does this mean if the next tomb raider game does not do well, they will remake the older tomb raider games?

Or does it mean as in rebirth in a fresh start for the new series?

Anyways I never really though of Core remaking the old tomb raider games. Wouldn't that be cool:)? It prob. would never happen though. :p

Aquarius
8th Jul 2002, 18:37
I hope that TR1 gets remade. It bugs me how it's in DOS mode, and the grainy texture bugs me. Even if it was remade to have the textures of TR2, it would be much better.

snickrep2002
8th Jul 2002, 18:42
If it doesn't get remade, then CORE should at least release a updated version for the PC so it does not run in DOS. There is a program to make tomb raider 1 work with XP, and it is called Glidos. Since I can not play tomb raider 1 on my PC anymore(cause I have XP) I am just going to buy it for the playstation. I really want to play the first tomb raider again. :)

LaraAngelOfDarkness
8th Jul 2002, 22:27
What it means is that it would be like how the series was before it supposedly went down hill and mabey making old fans who stopped playing the game like it again, not remaking them, although that would be cool.:D

Slave 4 Her
9th Jul 2002, 13:30
Your right, it doesnt have anything to do with redoing old TR games.They are just saying that it's clear CORE will have another successful series of TR games for a new system creating another strong franchise out of Lara.

LarzBritsh
9th Jul 2002, 17:11
Yeah, a remake is a "remake" of the new franchise. Not remaking other TR games. Core is busy with the next in the series of AOD.

TR1 is awesome, even in DOS. If TR1 were to be remade for the next-gen consoles. i don't know if i would like it.

LARAMANIAC
9th Jul 2002, 17:57
I'm sure we discussed this not so long ago - but.......anyway my opinion then and now is: I think the old games should be left as they are, if, like myself you started with Tombraider near or at the beginning, you will have enjoyed watching TR mature with technological progressions. The beauty of the older games now is the dated technology that was available to the designers, there is a certain charm about TR1 that should not be tampered with. But I suppose if you started with TRIV or Chronicles and then went back to TR1 you might be disappointed!! Personally I love TR1 and TRII as they are!!!!:p

cowboy from hell
10th Jul 2002, 03:54
Maybe they should release a remake. Offer it as an exclusive to only the Game Cube, and call it Resident Raider. That is just a joke, I realize that Eidos has more class than that. In all seriousness, I am happy with the old games, and I am pleased with how AOD is coming along. Can't wait. Can you imagine life without another TR. On another note I have nothing against GameCube, I am just glad that the game will be availble for ps2 and PC first. Were the loyal ones, aren't we?

snickrep2002
10th Jul 2002, 04:05
Well I never said I would like to see a remake on the old tomb raider games. I only said I would like to see a version of tomb raider 1 that runs under XP and direct X or somethen. But oh well, I am happy with tomb raider 1 for my PSX.

migunnemsae
26th Jun 2003, 13:03
EIDOS please pay attention:
There is obviously a tremendous cult following for Tomb Raider. A revamped TR1 release using the latest graphics engine would be great! No doubt many gamers would be interested. The dialogue is fine, but sound effects (wolves, etc.) could use some improvement. TR - The Last Revelation is the most beautiful environment I have seen in the series to date, so I would go with that. I am very nostalgic about my younger years with Lara, and surely thousands of others are as well. PLEASE make this wish a reality. All who agree, please tack a short 'yea' or 'nay' to this post.

OriginalBryGuy
26th Jun 2003, 15:01
I hope that TR1 gets remade. It bugs me how it's in DOS mode, and the grainy texture bugs me. Even if it was remade to have the textures of TR2, it would be much better.

I just had to chime in on this too. First thing I did when I brought home my PS2 (after waiting outside a Best Buy all night) was to play Tomb Raider 1 with the faster load times, and texture smoothing the PS2 allows. It actually looks a lot better in my opinion. If you haven't tried it out, you should now!

Mangar The Dark
26th Jun 2003, 16:00
Please hear me Eidos/Core-- Do NOT waste time remaking the first TR! I doubt you plan to do this anyway, but just in case, DON'T DO IT.

Yes, I love the first TR game. In many ways, it remains my favorite. In fact, I was playing it yesterday (sans sound since I now have Windows XP and for some reason I can't get sound on my old DOS games anymore.) But part of the reason I still enjoy it is for the nostalgia. When I started the game yesterday, and I stood in that snowy cave, I thought, "This is where it started. Wow, it looks bad now, but this impressed the hell out of me back in 97" (yeah, I got it a year late.) Frankly, though, the level design isn't quite up to par with the later incarnations, nor is the plot. Remaking this game with better graphics would be a complete waste of time. (1) It would lose the nostalgic feel because it wouldn't be the same, (2) Unless you change the story, it's pretty feeble, (3) If you DO change the story, it's not the same game anyway, (4) Anyone with the level editor and enough patience can make it themselves, there are certainly enough downloadable WADs now available if you scour the internet (5) We already played it! Make something new! Tell a new story!

Now, having said all that, I certainly wouldn't mind if they released a new game that had the "feel" of the original (isolated cavernous areas, dinosaurs, etc.)

OriginalBryGuy
26th Jun 2003, 16:12
Please hear me Eidos/Core-- Do NOT waste time remaking the first TR! I doubt you plan to do this anyway, but just in case, DON'T DO IT.

I have to agree! TR1 is already great. A remake would probably just get botched anyway!

I'd rather see the series truly evolve to the next level.:p

But I would like to see Natla again...riding a T-Rex throwing fireballs. haha.

I think Natla summed up the whole TR franchise in one line she said towards the end of TR1

"Evolution is in a rut...natural selection at an all time low. Shipping out fresh meat will incite territorial rages again, will strengthen us and advance us, even create new breeds."

:D

Jewell
26th Jun 2003, 20:00
Originally posted by Aquarius

I think that is an excellent idea.
They should use that single skin technology thing too, so lara doesn't look like a plastic figurine.