PDA

View Full Version : on Hitman AI in relation to PC power

Muzman
8th Jul 2002, 13:17
As I said when I forst appeared here, I've beaten the game hollow. Hardest difficulty, minimal expenses etc etc. I was tough at first, but as it is with these things, you get the hang of the way things work. You get to know what you can get away with and how to time thing finely based on the predictable things about the game.
The computer I achieved this standard on was a P2 400 with a tnt1 card. A bit choppy, but smooth enough to play most of the game without trouble.
I got to play it on my friend's new monster machine; and athlon xp 2200, gforce 4200, 512 of 333ddr, whiz bang HDDs etc. The game was almost unplayable to me. I tried to use all my little finessings and fine timings. Didn't work. The guards seemed to be much sharper, more observant, quicker to react and better shots. It was not as though I was running an old game on a super fast machine and I couldn't react as quick, no. The game was the same 'speed', just smoother. It appeared that the processing overhead <i>made the AI smarter</i>.
I've tried it for myself recently. Got an Athlon XP 2000 and some fast RAM, the effect was more or less the same. On high difficulty I met razor sharp, well organised and lethally accurate guards. I had to get used to the game all over again.
One behaviour I hardly ever saw was them becoming suspicious. For fun in levels like Lee Hong and Hotel I used to walk up to guards, disguised, and shoot them within earshot of other guards. Then I'd put my gun away before the curious arrive. They'd stand around over the body and look alarmed for a while then leave. Sometimes they'd decide I was the culprit, but not very often. After the speed boost they fingered me just about every time.
The other things I've notice include much quicker and better manouevering to a decent shot (say, I'm up in a window or upstairs, hiding behind a wall or pillar) and more tumbles. It's quite fascinating.
Anyone else had any experience with this? (to help me establish I'm not crazy :D )

ICEBreaker
8th Jul 2002, 15:45
Amazing! I never knew this. Maybe that is why I was able to finish Hitman on my crappy computer...

By the way, this interesting thread should be in the main Hitman forum. Can Zaphod please move it?

Saba
8th Jul 2002, 20:30
Very interesting. So I'm not the super-silent assassin I always thought I was. I guess I can conclude that my computer's a piece of junk.

Salem4
23rd Jul 2002, 22:26
This cant be true. It must have been you who forgot the art of hitman after a while. I changed computer myself not long ago, and experienced no change. I completet the game 15 times on my last computer and 5 on this one. Not hard at all.

Saba
25th Jul 2002, 06:10
You may have raised, or forgotten to lower, the difficulty level in Hitman, Muzman, when you're setting up a new profile. I think it's very possible.

Muzman
25th Jul 2002, 23:01
I perhaps overstated things in the initial post. They're still stupid, just differently so and faster with their guns.
But anyway, there was no gap in playing; including sleep and the time to rebuild my machine, sort out all the bugs, go out, eat etc I left hitman alone for about a day. I started it up using the same profile I'd always used; highest difficulty with all the levels opened up. The size of the upgrade is important to. I went from a pII 400 with 256mbs of fairly ordinary RAM to an Athlon XP 2000 with 512 of pc2700 RAM. Which is a jump in speed that still makes me grin. The speed not only made the game a lot smoother, more often, but the behaviour of the AI 'improved' in certain ways. I have got used to the changes and can get around the game more or less as I used to. But I still had to change my ways quite significantly to account for their improved reaction times and improved reactions for that matter.
I dunno. It's far from scientific but it's interesting.

Saba
26th Jul 2002, 04:56
I think I'll agree with you on this one, Muzman. It seems possible that your new computer was better able to handle the demands of the Hitman AI, and thus performed better that way, creating a greater challenge for you.

Salem: Was your upgrade as dramatic as Muzman's?

Salem4
26th Jul 2002, 11:33
Originally posted by Saba
Salem: Was your upgrade as dramatic as Muzman's?

No, I must admit it wasn't. Maybe you're right after all.

zappmon
26th Jul 2002, 13:50
I had the similar experience when i went from an intel333 with a tnt2 and 128mb of ram.to an AMD 1gig Thunderbird with an Annihilator2 Ultra video and 512mb of ram.I was just amazed at the diifference it made.That was about a year and a half ago when i made the jump to light speed.It was like driving around you're whole life in only one gear , then suddenly discovering that there are more gear's.Anyway, impatiently awaiting the next volume.

Saba
26th Jul 2002, 19:01
I'm going to try to install Hitman on the 1GHz comp at work and see for myself if I get any difference.