PDA

View Full Version : Cold Darkness Awakened

Tecstar70
25th Jul 2016, 16:07
When I first read about this mode my hopes weren't high. I thought it would be a wave-based hoard mode but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoy playing it. Anyone else?

Valenka
25th Jul 2016, 21:53
Yeah, I thought it was going to be a half-arsed horde mode as well. Nothing against Crystal Dynamics or anything, that's just what I've grown to expect due to the track record in the gaming industry. I mean, look at Call of Duty's repetitive and inclusive-in-every-installment-going-forward zombies mode. Good Lord above.

I actually haven't played much of Cold Darkness Awakened, but I was pleasantly surprised that it well exceeded my expectations thus far.

Metalrocks
26th Jul 2016, 13:46
still not sure about it. read a bunch of the review on steam and many of them are negative. stating that its rather worth it when its on special since its very short.

Tecstar70
26th Jul 2016, 16:33
still not sure about it. read a bunch of the review on steam and many of them are negative. stating that its rather worth it when its on special since its very short.

Yes it is potentially short if you only treat it as an additional chapter of the story, however its a little more than that. Certainly going for the achievements is one way which I have done. Also using cards to change the game play or going for high scores is another, although I realise this wont appeal to everyone.

beserene
27th Jul 2016, 14:00
Depends on what you expect.
I found Endurance to be not worth it whatsoever, while Cold Darkness really did hit a "fun sweetspot" for me. Athmosphere is good, level is fun, puzzles are interesting, but of course it becomes repetitive after a few hours.

Steam wise, the typical problem here is the review herd, which up- & downvotes reviews if they dis- / like something, and push any objective one out of view. There's some positive ones, that clearly show strengths and downsides of this DLC:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/418810/?snr=1_5_9__405

I think they even could improve this mode further, it's quite good to begin with.

Metalrocks
28th Jul 2016, 02:53
Depends on what you expect.
I found Endurance to be not worth it whatsoever, while Cold Darkness really did hit a "fun sweetspot" for me. Athmosphere is good, level is fun, puzzles are interesting, but of course it becomes repetitive after a few hours.

Steam wise, the typical problem here is the review herd, which up- & downvotes reviews if they dis- / like something, and push any objective one out of view. There's some positive ones, that clearly show strengths and downsides of this DLC:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/418810/?snr=1_5_9__405

I think they even could improve this mode further, it's quite good to begin with.

i know that a bunch of these reviews arent good. these are the once i ignore when they just say its bad or good without any proper explanation as to why. i read the negative first, because its rather amusing as to why they thinks its bad for some hilarious reasons.

to me, these reviews give rather an implication as to what i can expect from the game and see if its appealing to me. when im still skeptical and do have actual interest. i look at youtube for answers. so far this DLC looks like a zombie mode from COD. just with lara in it.
one thing the good and bad reviews touch on for this DLC is; that its short. and 10USD isnt really a small amount of money either. for me it will cost even more since i live in AU. so it will cost over 13AUD.

Tecstar70
28th Jul 2016, 10:15
i look at youtube for answers. so far this DLC looks like a zombie mode from COD. just with lara in it.
I don't think it is the same as COD IMO.

Metalrocks
28th Jul 2016, 12:47
I don't think it is the same as COD IMO.

ok, you dont shoot down hordes of zombies but still gives me the impression it is one.

Tecstar70
29th Jul 2016, 07:26
ok, you dont shoot down hordes of zombies but still gives me the impression it is one.

You can do that, but you can stealth a lot and also tweak the game with the cards, whereas COD is a straight forward FPS afaik.

Metalrocks
29th Jul 2016, 17:15
You can do that, but you can stealth a lot and also tweak the game with the cards, whereas COD is a straight forward FPS afaik.

well, i have tried it and didnt like it.

thats my little review of this dlc.
adds nothing to the story and also does not feel like a TR mission at all. just sneaking around, killing these zombie types of enemies, defuse 3 towers by having a look to answer a yes or no question by turn valves, attach pipes or pull levers and thats it. story is poorly explained as well and its too short. yes, you can explore the map but you dont really want that since nearly every step leads you to an encounter of these zombies. if they are alarmed, then you get a horde coming at you which isnt really good since you dont have much ammo.

besides being stealthy, there is nothing really of value here. waste of money and time to make an actual good dlc that could contribute to the story.

TheDetectiveXx
31st Jul 2016, 08:12
the whole Zombie thing is getting old really quick..so sick of zombies

Metalrocks
31st Jul 2016, 14:39

in this dlc; it is. but looks like im able to request a refund from steam. at least nothing was listed that you can not request a refund. some dlc's have it stated. i have to see what valve will tell me if i am eligible for it. i sure hope so. this is a dlc gone wrong for me.

edit:
yes. got a confirmation email that my money has been refunded.

chrisdaventry
3rd Sep 2016, 15:04
How or where do you do this, because i also would like a refund

Metalrocks
3rd Sep 2016, 15:12
on steam.
some DLCs have clearly stated that you cant request a refund, but this one hasnt. i hope you are aware of steams refund policy. if you have played more then 2 hours and is within 2 weeks of the day of purchase, you are able to get a refund.

chrisdaventry
3rd Sep 2016, 15:16
Ok i just did it, since it seems i bought the Cold Darkness Awakened DLC on August 29

Metalrocks
3rd Sep 2016, 16:38
so you got your from steam too. you should have no hassle then if you got it at that date. i guess you are happy you can get your money back. im even more happier i didnt get the season pass.

chrisdaventry
3rd Sep 2016, 16:43
Nope they said i played it for 11 Hours already, thus you can only refund it on the same day within 2 hours. Lets hope i can Exchange it for another DLC Endurance Mode for the same price.

Metalrocks
3rd Sep 2016, 16:57
thats a shame. sorry to hear that. good thing they didnt count the time i have spend playing rise. steam tells me i have played 42 hours.
i did ask for a refund on the same day after i have finished it. since i knew i will never play it again.

chrisdaventry
3rd Sep 2016, 17:07
When it was my Birthday in March, i Bought ROTTR and Just Cause 3 $60 Each, had i known JC3 had so many issues, i would've never bought that Game, now im stuck with it and the Store refuse to take it back.

I cant always buy and download Games from Steam because of our slow internet, it would've taken me a week to finish downloading JC3 in witch Steam would never give me a Refund.

Glad i bought ROTTR even though it was Price at the time, now sadly im stuck with JC3

Apparently when you Bought a Steam Game and Activated the Code of the Game, you can just aswell throw away the Game, because the Game and Code is on your Steam Account, no matter if you remove the Game through Steam.

Metalrocks
3rd Sep 2016, 17:29
yes, this indeed a huge problem these days. just to prevent piracy. 10 years ago i still could sell games in shops but then they also refused due the online activation. at least steam does give refunds but only if you buy the game from steam. get a disc version and you are stuck with it. just few weeks ago i got a game i thought would be interesting, because it contained the soundtrack which steam didnt have and now i wish i could get my money back. it wasnt much but i cant say im enjoying the game a lot.

im also careful with games if they run fine or have issues or are bad. good example would be "no man sky" for being very hyped up and then the game didnt even deliver. 60$ saved.

also how big the games are. i try to get the retail version just to speed things up. even when now my connection is pretty good, it still takes time and most of all: my usage is limited. thats why im glad that the witcher 3 has finally released a GOTY edition. the entire game with its DLC is over 50gb.
but unfortunately the stores ask for too much that i wait for a while. sales are coming soon.

Error96_
17th Oct 2016, 00:17
When it was my Birthday in March, i Bought ROTTR and Just Cause 3 $60 Each, had i known JC3 had so many issues, i would've never bought that Game, now im stuck with it and the Store refuse to take it back.

I got the PS4 version of JC3 and really liked it. Did you get to play the game or did you never get it downloaded?

Timberley
17th Oct 2016, 21:07
When I first read about this mode my hopes weren't high. I thought it would be a wave-based hoard mode but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoy playing it. Anyone else?

Yes, for exactly the same reason! I was expecting something similar to the Zombie nonsense from CoD or L4D, but was pleasantly surprised and started to really enjoy the mode. But then I'm a massive fan of games like MGS and Alien:Isolation - lots of stealth and moonwalking out of really bad situations. I did have to visit YouTube to understand the puzzle rooms, as I didn't quite get them until I saw a couple of examples, but other than that frustration, it's been really good.

Lara The Remnant Commando is also really cool to play around with! I do like the weapon swap mechanic that exists with each cache, and it felt really satisfying to sneak up on an Infected 'elite' and stab him.

It didn't really advance the story per se, but as a slightly different side quest to the main story, it's really nice. Certainly I found it more engaging than Endurance mode, but that could be me.

Tim

Aeralure
26th Dec 2016, 17:30

My feelings exactly. Launched it after I completed the main game, fought wave after wave and went "meh" and never went back.