PDA

View Full Version : Would this be illegal?

MountainDewNut
8th Jul 2002, 01:18
I know that modifying the exe and distibuting it is illegal, but is it illegal to make a program that will automatically edit it? Meaning someone creates a program that will edit the exe with the information that they put in, so that we can broaden your TRLE horizon.

The Sage Of Time
8th Jul 2002, 01:22
I wouldn't worry about it, editing the exe in my mind doesn't seem to be illegal.
Look at how much goes by each day un-noticed via the internet.. It's sad really.
I doubt editing a video game file would be considered that big of a deal as long as it wasn't later distributed as your own. In other words, selling slightly edited work is a big "no no" but editing a game exe for personal use means diddly. Anyways, what are you plotting anyway? Up to something interesting?

Vivi Ornitier
8th Jul 2002, 01:26
Sage beat me to it...

:)

Tomo
8th Jul 2002, 07:58
yes, you can add rain or snow, or enable the gunflash on the crossbow for example :D

Driber
8th Jul 2002, 17:47
Originally posted by MountainDewNut
I know that modifying the exe and distibuting it is illegal, but is it illegal to make a program that will automatically edit it? Meaning someone creates a program that will edit the exe with the information that they put in, so that we can broaden your TRLE horizon.

if your program modifies the exe file, you are violation the copyrights, so yes, that would be illigal