PDA

View Full Version : How do I become a "Thief" or "Chandelier Swinger" instead of a "Member"

TRoosevelt_26
8th Jul 2002, 00:41
Please? I really want to know...

Apache
8th Jul 2002, 00:50
Is was an option in your User CP when the board first opened up..but not anymore..:(

TRoosevelt_26
8th Jul 2002, 00:54
Scuzz...

BrokenArts
8th Jul 2002, 17:09
Afraid the option would be abused. I don't blame them.
But.......there is only one Chandelier Swinger here. :rolleyes: :cool: :D

howie
8th Jul 2002, 19:51
I wish I would have known about that option myself TRoosevelt_26. I guess it's something that could be abused_by some_however anyone on the old forum with over 2,000 post should have the option of a title -- even though I don't know what mine would be*. :( Hopefully someone will look into this option again.

Signed,

*Thee Almighty Forum Overlord =]

Grey Mouser
9th Jul 2002, 00:14
Redlegg and I are still having discussion about this feature...he is not keen on it for the abuse potential, and so far has decreed only Moderators and Admins get the custom title ability.

BrokenArts discovered it before he noticed that it was still turned ON, and I don't have the heart to ask her to change it back, unfair as that may seem.

Again, this and a few other issues are still being discussed by Red, myself and the webmasterpersons under whose jurisdiction the forums lay.

We'll see?

TRoosevelt_26
9th Jul 2002, 02:25
Just a thought: if I wanted to be obscene, I could very easily give my location as *****...I wouldn't need a member status entry to do it. I don't see that it cuts down on the abuse potential much, but I understand your concerns.

Squid
9th Jul 2002, 07:26
How about having approval over all title changes? I don't think anyone here would mind. Say have it set up where only admins can change it?

Squid

Zaccheus
9th Jul 2002, 09:39
Or moderators?

Surely Eidos must trust the moderators not to abuse it, so the mods could make the occasional requested change on behalf of us mortal members.

We could have a rule that says:
Reach 1000 regular posts and the mods will change it for you.
:)

DJC
9th Jul 2002, 12:12
You have to be a "Super Moderator" to make changes to member's profiles in the Moderators' Control Panel.
Only one moderator throughout the entire of the Eidos boards has that title.

A Super Moderator is a mod who can moderate all forums, edit the members' profiles, ban users, add/edit announcements etc. More of a mini admin that a mod I guess...

stikboy
9th Jul 2002, 14:58
Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26
Just a thought: if I wanted to be obscene, I could very easily give my location as *****...I wouldn't need a member status entry to do it. I don't see that it cuts down on the abuse potential much, but I understand your concerns.

Apart from the obscenities, I believe the biggest cause for concern is people with the custom title "Moderator" or "Admin". Yes, it's a violation of the TOU, but someone invariably will come along and abuse it just the same.

GM, I also noticed before it got turned off :D, but you have my permission to set me back to a plain old member if you desire, just to keep everything fair. (But, BA does need to keep hers :):D )

Xcom
9th Jul 2002, 17:26
Originally posted by Zaccheus
Or moderators?

Surely Eidos must trust the moderators not to abuse it

You would think, eh? But alas. :(
(we asked for it but with no result)

Zaccheus
9th Jul 2002, 18:48
Thanks for trying.

BrokenArts
9th Jul 2002, 21:58
Originally posted by stikboy

. (But, BA does need to keep hers :):D ) OHHH Pretty Please!!!!! can I huh? huh? huh?
;) :D :p

Whatz His Name
10th Jul 2002, 00:08
Originally posted by BrokenArts
OHHH Pretty Please!!!!! can I huh? huh? huh?

Begging will get you everywhere.

ChowYunFat
10th Jul 2002, 03:50
Well, speaking as a Senior Member, I feel BA should keep her title. ;)

Seriously, there are obvious difficulties in policing something like this, especially if people can change their title at will. You could change it to something obscene for a couple of hours & then change it back!! Or you could put something that might be personally insulting to a particular person while not at all offensive to anyone else. Limiting it to high posters has its drawbacks too since it could lead to more post pumping. Why reward someone who has 1000 mostly two or three word posts over someone who has written 100 thoughtful paragraphs.

Personally, I think the ability to change should be limited to those who were adventurous enough to do it while the option was accidentally left open--very much in the spirit of Thief!!! It's a reward for playing with the forum options. But whatever the mods decide is OK.

Xcom
10th Jul 2002, 17:32
To be totally honest, I am disappointed in you, ChowYunFat. I mean you could have picked more original title (while you had the chance). Somthing like "Blackjack Swinger" or maybe "Bullet Dodger". :p

ChowYunFat
10th Jul 2002, 19:21
Hi Xcom--I was just making a kind of joke about all the hoo-hah about people wanting to get enough posts to become "members" again & not be junior members. So I decided to make myself a Senior Member & see how long it took anyone to notice & ask about it (RicknMel noticed after a couple of days).

Of course, CYF will always be a Hard-Boiled Cop. :cool:

TRoosevelt_26
10th Jul 2002, 19:49
Originally posted by stikboy

Apart from the obscenities, I believe the biggest cause for concern is people with the custom title "Moderator" or "Admin". Yes, it's a violation of the TOU, but someone invariably will come along and abuse it just the same.

I suppose it's possible for the mods to set up the forum to not allow anyone to put "moderator," "administrator," etc. in that slot, and as for things that are harmless in themselves but personally insulting to others, well, we can put those insulting things in our "Location" slot just as much as in our "Member status" slot.

Whatz His Name
10th Jul 2002, 20:32
Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26
we can put those insulting things in our "Location" slot just as much as in our "Member status" slot.

You made a great point. I never thought of that.